Photo

Al Pease - Congratulations

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,209 posts

Posted 14 October 2001 - 20:31

Too often here I post when someone dies (Patsy Burt the latest sad example) so I makes a pleasant change to say happy birthday & a significant milestone too - to a man who I've always had a soft spot for due to his apalling Formula 1 results & whom learning more through Jamie & Enoch's (or Kuwashima & Takahashi) F1 Rejects site (free advertising here boys!) I like the man even more - happy with the fact that there are five people in this world (if not more) who hold him in the highest regard as being the most useless driver in F1 - top in the F1 rejects poll, IIRC or was it Deletraz?
Still, I digress,
Happy 80th :D :eek: birthday on the 15th October
to Darlington, North Yorkshire, England's very own Grand Prix hero:
Al Pease!!! :) :) :);)

Advertisement

#2 Kuwashima

Kuwashima

• 330 posts

Posted 15 October 2001 - 01:54

It would be remiss of me not to post here.;)

Happy 80th, Al! :up: :D :up:

We were lucky enough at F1 Rejects to get an interview with the great man just a few weeks ago, talking about his career and his entries in F1. You can read it here!

As Richie has said, no driver has a worse F1 record on paper than Al. But at the same time as we fondly ponder his Canadian GP shenanigans from 67-69, on his 80th birthday, we should also acknowledge that Al is a living legend in Canada, a man with unparalleled success in lower Canadian categories. As is written about him at the Canadian Motorsports Hall of Fame (where he is an Honorary Member):

It is doubtful that any other driver in the history of Canadian motorsport has collected more trophies than Al Pease, winning a steady stream of regional and national championships in a variety of cars for almost 30 years. He drove a Gurney Eagle in the first Formula 1 Grand Prix of Canada at Mosport in 1967, and he won the last race ever at Harewood in a Brabham BT21 in 1970. He was also instrumental in getting the CASC to allow sponsors' names on the side of racing cars, paving the way for a whole new generation of professional Canadian racing drivers.

So when we look back at Al Pease, The Only Man To Have Been Disqualified in F1 For Being Too Slow, let us also remember his talent, and phenomenal success in Canada, as much as for the 3 F1 disasters that have led him to become our beloved hero!

#3 Takahashi

Takahashi

• 53 posts

Posted 15 October 2001 - 08:11

Equally remiss if I don't add my congratulations ;)

Onya, Al :D Happy 80th birthday!!!

Kuwashima's said it all already, but I'd just add that, for an 80 year old, he still sounds fairly sprightly (although nowhere near the other almost-80 year old, the one and only Muzza) :)