Photo

Luki Botha

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Stefan Ornerdal

Stefan Ornerdal

• 578 posts

Posted 26 November 2001 - 22:58

South African Luki Botha had a terrible crash with his Brabham BT11-Repco at Lourenco Marques, Mocambique, july 23 1967. Eight or seven peoples were killed. Paul Sheldon says Luki survived but never raced again. Two sources, a swedish yearbook and a swedish magazine says he was killed.

?

And I have to ask - any relation to former South African Prime Minister? And Pieter De Klerk, was he related to another former PM? Or is these names very common in ZA?

Stefan

Advertisement

#2 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,209 posts

Posted 26 November 2001 - 23:16

No relation to PW Botha Piet de Klerk no relation to FW & Pietersie is no relation to Zola Pietersie! I am no relation to Roy Jenkins!!! My name is common in my land & because of the large Boer/dutch ancestry, these names are pretty common in White South Africa.

As for the man, born on the 16th January 1930. His single-seater debut was in the 1966 Rhodesian GP, where he took his Brabham BT11 into 2nd behind Bob Anderson. The only GP, South Africa in 1967, many laps in the pits with car problems, non classified 20 laps down.

In the crash you mention in Mozambique, eight spectators were killed, but Botha ESCAPED PERSONAL INJURY but never raced again & to the very best of my knowledge, is still alive.

Hope that helps

BTW Many books say someone is dead/killed in a crash when they weren't - Paul Frere's From Starting Grid to Chequered Flag mentioned Bruce Kessler's "fatal" crash - some others thought he died in the 1958 Le Mans, Bruce is still very alive & Louis Stanley's book said Chris Irwin was dead - serious accident yes, but CI is also alive & well.

#3 Stefan Ornerdal

Stefan Ornerdal

• 578 posts

Posted 27 November 2001 - 13:13

Thank you very much, Richie.

Strange. Authors should not kill people. And I suppose Elvis is still alive?

Stefan

#4 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 06:09

Something that has been bothering me for some time now and that I wish to correct, following a recent enquiry - the Botha bother.

Sheldon’s comment, that of Steve Small (GP Who’s Who) and several others that Luki Botha never raced again after his accident in Lourenço Marques is NOT correct.

Botha competed again the following year (1968) in the South African Sports Car Championship. Driving an Elva Porsche, he in fact won the first race he competed in, since the accident. It was at the Bulawayo 100 race meeting on 5 May 1968.

PS. Richie who on earth is “Pietersie”?? Sounds almost like a current “English” cricketer that played a vital role in beating the Aussies in the latest test match.

#5 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,734 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 09:05

Yes the less said about that "English" cricketer, (about as English as Tony Greig) the better.
Although 3 dropped catches in the first match wasn't too flash.

I have read recently, probably somewhere here in TNF, that the correct spelling was actually Peter de Klerk. For some reason his first name was the Anglicised version.

#6 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,780 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 09:51

Originally posted by David Shaw
Yes the less said about that "English" cricketer, (about as English as Tony Greig) the better.

I think he's more English than (say) Basil d'Oliviera was ;) And he's certainly more English than Kepler Wessels was Australian ..... :p

#7 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,734 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 09:55

No argument there!

#8 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 09:59

David

De Klerk has always signed his name as "Peter" in correspondance that I had with him in the past. Never spoken to him in person, but I am pretty sure his mother-tongue is English. Correspondance has also been in English.

Early race reports from South African journals couldn't decide if he was Peter or Pieter. They used both versions. Later on in his career they seemed to stick to Peter. They also used Piet, but that is somehow expected. Not much of a difference in the pronunciation of Peter and Pieter or Pete and Piet.

With reference to Luki Botha - I believe his full names are Lukas Johannes Botha.

PS. The cricketer - you chaps in the UK can keep him, anytime!!

#9 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• 1,312 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 17:49

I know I've been asking for a lot of photos lately (sorry about that :blush: ), but other than that grainy scan of a badly photocopied newspaper photo of Botha in Steve Small's Who's Who, are there any photos of Botha's face?

#10 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,602 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 18:57

Originally posted by Paul Taylor
I know I've been asking for a lot of photos lately (sorry about that :blush: ), but other than that grainy scan of a badly photocopied newspaper photo of Botha in Steve Small's Who's Who, are there any photos of Botha's face?

Posted Image
(source unknown)

#11 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• 1,312 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 19:28

FANTASTIC! Thanks Rob!

#12 alnica

alnica

• 24 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 18:31

Thanks!

#13 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,209 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 13:12

Apparently, Luki Botha died in late October 2006, in Pretoria. Can anyone confirm this or provide extra details? :confused:

#14 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,394 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 15:13

Originally posted by Richie Jenkins
Apparently, Luki Botha died in late October 2006, in Pretoria.

Seems to me like a mix-up with Pieter Willem Botha who in fact died on 31 October 2006.

#15 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,209 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 17:53

Originally posted by ReWind
Seems to me like a mix-up with Pieter Willem Botha who in fact died on 31 October 2006.

The thought did cross my mind, however the tentative date of death is on or around the 17th October 2006 and the source said they found out about a week later, when, of course, "The Great Crocodile" was still breathing.

There was no press coverage, of course, but that's hardly surprising seeing that Serrurier's death didn't get much, so it's perfectly possible. (I mean Andre Testut's death didn't get any press either, but he is most certainly dead. As is Pirrocchi, Vic Wilson etc.). Just wondered if any of our South African knowledgable chums could help confirm it and say if his death would make any news at all, even there, as LB did just "disappear".

I'm inclined to go with it at present.

#16 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 16:24

Richie

I have seen nothing on Luki Botha's death, but then again, I must admit that the local motoring media is useless par excellance to bring us such detail. Our friends at Classic Car Afrkeeping us inforica were always on the ball with this, but under new ownership they seem to ignore the passing of old drivers, unless they were big fish like John Love or Doug Serrurier.

I'll try to get hold of some Pretoria based newspapers in order to check their death notices section.
The last address I had of Botha was indeed in Pretoria.

I think the chances that Luki will be confused with ex=president PW Botha must be remote. Luki's full names are Lukas Jacobus.

Pieter Willem Botha (the ex-president) died at his home at Wilderness (Western Cape Province), which is far, far away from Pretoria.

Also note that BOTHA is a most common surname in South Africa.

Richie, I'll also send you a PM or email on this topic...

#17 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,209 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 17:39

Originally posted by Hieronymus
I have seen nothing on Luki Botha's death, but then again, I must admit that the local motoring media is useless par excellance to bring us such detail. Our friends at Classic Car Afrkeeping us inforica were always on the ball with this, but under new ownership they seem to ignore the passing of old drivers, unless they were big fish like John Love or Doug Serrurier.

I'll try to get hold of some Pretoria based newspapers in order to check their death notices section.
The last address I had of Botha was indeed in Pretoria.

I think the chances that Luki will be confused with ex=president PW Botha must be remote. Luki's full names are Lukas Jacobus.

Richie, I'll also send you a PM or email on this topic...

Thanks. :up:
That it was October is not a given, but most likely, but I'll see what turns up. Thanks for the PM too. :)

#18 Lukas

Lukas

• 2 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:21

Hi, my dad 'Luki' Botha passed away on the 1st October 2006 due to bad health.

Here is some more info if anyone would be interedted: http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Luki_Botha

#19 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

• 975 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 16:56

Thank you for this, Lukas.  Belated condolences.

RIP, Luki.

Advertisement

#20 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,151 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 19:11

Same here.