Photo

Formula Atlantic (merged)

• Please log in to reply
958 replies to this topic

#851 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,723 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:35

The F3/F Atlantic Meeting that Alan refers to sticks in my memory as probably the best I have ever attended at Oulton :)

PAR

I think I would have to agree although some of the early Gold Cups run it close.

:wave:

Advertisement

#852 tinkerwinker

tinkerwinker

• 102 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:49

Seeing all these pictures of F Atlantic in 1975, reminds me what a good formula it was, better than F3 because the cars had a wider power band, without the extra engine expense of F2. Sadly never quite got the support it needed in the UK, but when it was good, it was really good.

#853 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,289 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 17:37

1982 Phoenix Park :)

PAR

#854 tedwentz

tedwentz

• 45 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 12:07

There is a movement here in the US to revive classic Formula Atlantic (the Cosworth BDD era) with a dedicated vintage Atlantic racing series.
There are lots of cars over here sitting in garages and barns just gathering dust which could with easily revived and sent out to do battle again.
Lots of vintage drivers too.
Have just returned from a vintage race weekend at Mont Tremblant I can attest that there is a lot of enthusiasm among racing enthusiasts for these cars from a simpler era. The racing would be pretty good too.

#855 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,534 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 12:36

Brilliant days but of course at the time we didn't realise what we had! Great Atlantics, F5000, F2, Supersaloons, frantic FFs, I recall a 75 car F3 entry at Silverstone, plus 3/4 F1 races in the UK each year.
We definitely lived through the best era guys! Nowadays you're miles away as a spectator and it's mostly one-make quiet silenced mediocrity! Was great to get just a little taste at the recent Brands Superprix though, unsilenced for a change..sounded great!

#856 Marc Sproule

Marc Sproule

• 624 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 13:04

Ted...

My recollection is that you ran one of Pierre's T460s at Edmonton in '76. Is that correct?

I know I have some images of you wherever it was and will eventually dig them out and get them uploaded.

In the meantime, in reference to how good it was in the US and Canada in those days here's my Atlantic set on flickr. Judging from what I've been hearing, there are indeed a lot of these cars now in the hands of racers and I would suspect that it would be a good class to promote interest in.

http://www.flickr.co...57623186773769/

#857 Patrick Sumner

Patrick Sumner

• 25 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 15:32

Brilliant days but of course at the time we didn't realise what we had! Great Atlantics, F5000, F2, Supersaloons, frantic FFs, I recall a 75 car F3 entry at Silverstone, plus 3/4 F1 races in the UK each year.
We definitely lived through the best era guys! Nowadays you're miles away as a spectator and it's mostly one-make quiet silenced mediocrity! Was great to get just a little taste at the recent Brands Superprix though, unsilenced for a change..sounded great!

Andrew, you're so right, we've had the best and there's no going back. I was at Donington a few years ago with my F Atlantic Kitchiner and two guys came up and said thank you so much. I assumed they meant my skills through the Craner Curves, or not! What they were saying was it was so good to have decent cars and get away from endless one make and Fiesta races! I was quite taken aback. I recall doing a British Fuse Gear FF race at Thruxton in '75 in a friend's Elden and there were over 50 cars entered. Very hectic. Never look back! Patrick.

#858 tedwentz

tedwentz

• 45 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 12:33

Ted...

My recollection is that you ran one of Pierre's T460s at Edmonton in '76. Is that correct?

I know I have some images of you wherever it was and will eventually dig them out and get them uploaded.

In the meantime, in reference to how good it was in the US and Canada in those days here's my Atlantic set on flickr. Judging from what I've been hearing, there are indeed a lot of these cars now in the hands of racers and I would suspect that it would be a good class to promote interest in.

Marc, your recollection was pretty close, actually it was Gimli '76 in one of Pierre's two 460's (light blue I think). We didn't really have enough time to sort the car out properly but I did get a good look at Gilles and Tom on track as they lapped me in the race. Quite a good show!
BTW - fabulous pics, looks like yesterday.

#859 Marc Sproule

Marc Sproule

• 624 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 15:53

Ted:

Well at least I'm not completely senile!!

Looking for pics from that weekend is now on my long list of stuff to look for.

As I sit here, without having had my daily cuppa yet, the brain cells are saying that I should bet that your car was the yellow one that various people drove that season. We shall see.

And a little sidebar.....my recollection is that Klausler had to replace his motor after Saturday at "Grimli". His spare was in pieces in his trailer and he put it together and then into the car that night.

The world of racing was definitely different then.

Thanks for your kind words about my pics. It's been a blast going through them. It definitely reminds me how lucky I was to have been where I was when I was.

Advertisement

#860 Colin Haste

Colin Haste

• 6 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 23:01

Historic Formula Atlantic racing in Australia. In 2004 Bryan Miller and I formed an entrant group for and to promote Formula Atlantic and European Formula Two cars . This has been fairly successful, we run an annual point score and have had support races with the A1 when they were going. There are around 50 plus on our records and we have been able to field grids of 34 cars. We produce an emailed news letter to keep every one informed , which is put out by Bryans brother Kevin.
The group we call. "Historic Formula Atlantic & European Two Assocation".
I have endeavoured to attach a couple of pictures but it looks like the best I have achieved is a link.

www.flickr.com/photos/52312976@N06/

#861 BT 35-8

BT 35-8

• 221 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 03:54

Col,

Even that did not work either.

Bryan.

#862 Marc Sproule

Marc Sproule

• 624 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 04:32

This is the link:

http://www.flickr.co...s/52312976@N06/

Apparently there's only the one image at this point.

#863 Colin Haste

Colin Haste

• 6 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 01:39

Thanks Marc.
There are two pictires now one is the logo for the Australian Formula Atlantic Association and the other is A pictire of a grid of our cars at Eastern creek in Sydney. I havent worked out how to get the URL off the flickr site to down load pictures to the forum.

#864 BT 35-8

BT 35-8

• 221 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 03:09

Thanks Col. and Marc

Patrick and Andrew,

The first time we had all our cars out at the A1 G.P. as a support category the attention
the cars drew was fantastic , we also had old F/Atlantic people like David Oxton from NZ
nearly crying over the turn out of the cars and the numbers we had managed to put on the
grid , each of the three years we had 32-34 cars and we had a real focal point for the owners .

Sadly with the demise of the A1 GP we lost some focus , and the F5000 group , primarily
NZ based have their travelling show which everybody loves as the cars are big and noisy
and this country has a mindset about V8s , whereas our cars are approx the same lap times
but don't make lots of noise compared to the F5000s and it is percieved by race organisers
we won't get bums on seats , so at the moment we are trying to come up with different
places/promoters to have our cars out and about .
We also have the problem that may be an issue as well in the USA of distance , when I compete
at Phillip Island it is a 12 hour 1000 km tow and I am slightly south of Sydney , Col. is 4/5 hours
further north , so very definately a 2 day tow.
As for the people in Western Australia that's 3500 km away from the Eastern states .

We did have notice a few years back and even rec'd a poster from guys in Canada organising
themselves into a group , however I have not seen anything from them for a while and don't
know if it got off the ground.

Bryan Miller [ ex David Morgan BT35 and ex Stiller/Bond / Jones / Irvine and 1/2 the world March 74B]

Col. has a trio of Lola's , 1 x T360 ex Australia , 1 x T 460 ex Jerry Hansen and the original T560 and only one
built also ex Jerry Hansen .

Ted , are you coming to Australia along with Phil Harris for the Tasman Revival at the end of November this year
with the two BT23Cs ?

#865 Marc Sproule

Marc Sproule

• 624 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 03:56

BT:

Should you encounter David Oxton or Alan McCall in your travels please say hello for me and tell them they can find me on here.

Or they can find my Atlantic stuff on flickr....

Thanks

#866 BT 35-8

BT 35-8

• 221 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 05:13

Marc,

Last contact I had with David Oxton was at

spannersoxton@gmail.com

Bryan

#867 Marc Sproule

Marc Sproule

• 624 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:13

Thanks BT, I'll see if I can make contact with him.

#868 Andrew Fellowes

Andrew Fellowes

• 709 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:15

photos taken today by BT35-8, nice, very nice!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#869 BT 35-8

BT 35-8

• 221 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:20

Thanks Andrew ,

I couldn't post photo's if my life depended on it.

Bryan.

#870 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,693 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:44

It looks gorgeous, Bryan. I never remember it being so immaculate in period!

#871 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,883 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:32

It looks gorgeous, Bryan. I never remember it being so immaculate in period!

:lol: Just what I was thinking! Great work Bryan.

#872 BT 35-8

BT 35-8

• 221 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 22:16

Gents,

Thank you , I will be quite happy when it gathers some stone chips etc.
Still some stickers to go on , it always troubles me that when the cars are restored
they are better than in period in most cases , however there was no option with this car
as it had been converted to 1980 March bodywork and the only things left were the engine cover and
side pods and it was a real effort to reclaim them to use again as I wished to use as many
original components as possible and it was only good fortune the eng. cover had been kept
as it wasn't used in the conversion to 1980 spec.
The other set of front wheels are the best , still in slightly faded di-chromate black March
finish and that's the way they will stay.
The other items that were really good to still have were most of the colour annodised
March things such as faded blue tube carrying electrical cables front to rear and the suspension
spacers at the front , top ones pale yellow/gold , bottom ones purple.

Bryan.

#873 MCS

MCS

• 3,549 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 19:37

I found this - not particularly brilliant.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Great to see your efforts - thank you for posting the pics. Has anybody asked Alan Jones what he thinks/remembers?

Edited by MCS, 26 July 2010 - 19:39.

#874 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,289 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 19:54

Oulton 1974 ....

Posted Image

....sorry for the quality. At the least the guy seems to be enjoying his Mr Whippy ice cream :)

PAR

#875 MCS

MCS

• 3,549 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 20:03

Possibly Bev's last race in the 74B...

#876 dpchamp87

dpchamp87

• 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 21:19

Murray Smith has kindly agreed to give us a race for F2 and FA cars at the Lime Rock Historic Festival in early September. We have between 14 and 18 cars entered for the race so far. Should be fun and quite a few of the drivers will be giving the old things some stick

David
March 79B #20

#877 BT 35-8

BT 35-8

• 221 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 22:07

MCS,

Thanks for yet another photo , and again every time something is unearthed there is variation of the
signage on the car , this time I notice Ferodo signs on side pods , first time I have seen them on car.

Yes , I would think it is Bev Bond's last time in car .

I know Alan Jones slightly , used to supply F3 components to his son Christian when he was running F3
over here and in S.E.Asia , I showed Alan all the photo's of the car prior to starting restoration and all
the photo's that I purchased from L.A.T. photographic in the U.K.

Alan really became quite excited about the car.

Alan told me THIS was the car that started his upward progress with the help from Harry Stiller who I have
also contacted and need to send him pics. when it is fully decal laden.

dpchamp87 , All us Atlantic people need to work together around the world , hope your Lime Rock meeting
goes off well with a good entry.

Bryan Miller. 74B-U1.

Edited by BT 35-8, 26 July 2010 - 22:08.

#878 Marc Sproule

Marc Sproule

• 624 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 00:46

Bryan:

Seeing the pics of your cars brings to mind something I did at the Monterey Historics a number of years ago. Ferrari was the featured marque that year.

As I wandered through the paddock it was all I could do to keep from drooling profusely. The cars were stunning.

When I came upon one in particular, a front-engined roadster from the '50s I reckon, I saw the owner attacking the engine compartment with a cotton swab.

The car was pristine, amazingly restored, and from where I stood, appeared to be spotless.

I couldn't resist. So I said something like "It's too bad you don't take better care of that machine."

Without looking up the owner burst out laughing. It was several seconds before he turned to me, smiled and said, "When I bought this thing I told myself I wouldn't turn into a 'clean weenie'. Now look at me."

I hope you enjoy your cars as much as he was enjoying his.

#879 tedwentz

tedwentz

• 45 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 13:51

[quote name='BT 35-8' date='Jul 24 2010, 23:09' post='4495384'
Ted , are you coming to Australia along with Phil Harris for the Tasman Revival at the end of November this year
with the two BT23Cs ?
[/quote]

Bryan, I sure wish I could make it this year, but other commitments are standing in the way. I do know that Phil and Peter McLaughlin have a container full of really nice cars including Phil's 23C and Peter's rare BT31 Repco that will be headed your way for the Revival.
BTW - The Harry Stiller March looks terrific. I remember that car very, very well.
TW

Advertisement

#880 Marc Sproule

Marc Sproule

• 624 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 05:31

Some "must see tv"......

I saw this on another forum today and felt it should be spread around. It's a compilation of about 30 minutes of the Canadian tv coverage of the Atlantic series in the '70s, starting in '75.

In those days the Atlantic series was seriously big time stuff to the Canadian sports fans, second only to hockey.

The blurb I read said that this compilation was put together by James King's son, Alex. I'm glad he did. This stuff is priceless and well worth getting into the hands of as many race fans as possible. Those definitely were the "good ol' days".

It's about 30 minutes long and not the greatest video quality, but I reckon most of us will watch it more than once.

And for those of you who want to see more images of the series from that time, here's the link to my Atlantic set on flickr.

UPDATE:

I've watched the whole video now. The title is rather misleading as it covers only races from the '75 season, nothing else. It's still well worth watching though as it clearly depicts how things were in those days.

Edited by Marc Sproule, 08 August 2010 - 06:16.

#881 Colin Haste

Colin Haste

• 6 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 06:46

Ted.

Did you test the Lola T360 when it was in it's development stage? If so do you have any recollections about the car and the testing?

Col

#882 tedwentz

tedwentz

• 45 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 16:33

Ted.

Did you test the Lola T360 when it was in it's development stage? If so do you have any recollections about the car and the testing?

Col

I was not involved at all with testing the T360 prior to the '75 season. We ran the car bone stock for the tail end of the '74 season when we first got the car.
We tested many suspension tweaks on the T360 more or less continuously during the '75 season, however none of it was put on production cars. Everything we learned was applied to the subsequent T460.
TW

#883 tedwentz

tedwentz

• 45 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 16:41

Some "must see tv"......

I saw this on another forum today and felt it should be spread around. It's a compilation of about 30 minutes of the Canadian tv coverage of the Atlantic series in the '70s, starting in '75.

Marc, I totally agree. Anyone who remembers Atlantic will really enjoy this film.

40 car fields, Early Gilles, Monsoon racing, even Mad Dog McGee!
This has it all.

James King is still racing and was quite the star at the Monaco Historic GP this year in the 1.5 litre race.

#884 Marc Sproule

Marc Sproule

• 624 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 19:39

Ted;

Yup, I definitely stumbled into the right series.

As for Damien....I have a fair number snaps of him, including him in his tighty-whities at Brainerd in '75. Of course I'd never post anything like that for the world to see.

Nope, no never.

Well, okay I lied. It will be up some time in the future.

As for JKing...I hope to get to Laguna this weekend and would expect to see him there, along with a number of others from the Atlantic days.

#885 Jagracer

Jagracer

• 50 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 12:13

thanks guys for all your kind words: I will pass them on to Ken. You're right Geoff, we will get together this year, I will see to that: can't wait to get the 2 of you together again after all these years and hear all the stories from the "good old, bad old" days! Ken is very well and comes to virtually every race meeting that I take part in: driving the stopwatch these days. At least I managed to achieve a life long ambition last season, and that was to win a race at Oulton whilst he was there.

As to whether or not I can get him on the forum....we'll see, he is on the web so I'll see what I can do. The next best thing is that I'll have a rummage through his scrap books and see if I can come across any bits of info or photos that you'll all find interesting. I'll also see if i can get him to recount any tales that I can post,always a bit difficult with Ken as Geoff pointed out: he's so modest even when he's talking to me!

However, in the meantime,a little tale that he did tell me about: this goes back to an Indyatlantic race at Croft in '76. I understand that it was quite common to have various "publicity" events leading up to race day in the nearest town. This day was no exception: there was some sort of a display/concours event lined up and (more interestingly) it had been arranged for the cars to be driven on the public roads around Darlington as a sort of "demonstration"!

Were the roads closed to the public?Er...no! but it was decided that they would have some sort of a police escort.After all, we couldn't have 20 odd Atlantic cars let loose on the public highway with no supevision could we?! because the designated route the drivers were given crossed from one police authority to another, the first part of the run was carried out with police motorcycle outriders who would duly pull off as they crossed "the border" where it had be arranged for another set of motorcycles to take over and finish the route. With me so far?Anyway, as you've probably guessed by now, when the first set of riders departed, the second set couldn't keep up with them! So, you had the sight of a field of Atlantics blasting through Friday's rush hour traffic at highly illegal speeds dodging in and out of Darlington's law abiding motorists on their way back to the circuit!!They must of wondered what on earth was happening to them!!

Anymore tales like this, I'll keep you all posted.

I remember this very well as I was chief mechanic & Team Manager for the 2 Dicksons of Perth cars & we won the Trophy for the concours held outside the Town Hall in Darlington & we did drive them through to the Croft Circuit & you were right about the police not being able to keep up & we got a bollocking for going a bit too fast, damn good fun though
By the way my name is Phil Bradford & we always used to arrive early at the Circuits usually the night before & when some of the others turned up a little late they used to come over to our transporter for some hot food as I was a pretty good cook (still am), they even used to bring their own food for me to cook for them even the wives enjoyed being spoilt for a change.
I've been through the whole of this thread & haven't seen any pictures of the Dicksons of Perth cars driven by Norman Dickson & Richard scott, we were sponsored by Britich Caladonion Airways I used to have loads of them but unfortunately they have gone missing. We had the full centre page in the Autosport magazine one week & were the envy of the Paddock at the next meeting.
If anyone has any Pic's at all I would be very grateful if you could E mail them to me so that I can put them with all of the other cars & teams that I have worked for Thanks (in anticipation)
I see there has been several mentions about Andy Barton I can add to those that I Knew Andy well, he was one hell of a nice Guy & a very quick driver, he used to pop into our Transporter just before the race started & have a healthy shot of Whiskey which Tommy Dickson (Normans Father) always used to have on board (by strict orders). I remember Andy crashing in practise at one race (sorry can't remember which one) myself & my no2 Mechanic helped him sort it for the race & he made it to the grid, he said that he was not injured but his ankles were a bit sore, he finished the race quite well up, loaded up & drove his Transporter home & went to the Hospital on the Monday morning to check the soreness in his ankles & found that they were both broken, tough Lad's them Geordies.
Thanks to all Phil

Edited by Jagracer, 22 December 2010 - 13:41.

#886 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 2,674 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 13:17

Phil, do you recall a Dickson's mechanic called 'Jimmy' that year, 1976 (wasn't you was it!?).

I remember meeting him at a friends house in Leicester that summer. I think my mate, Andrew Perrott's, dad was involved with the team somehow, or knew them anyway, and they parked the old Dickson's transporter/bus outside his house for a few days with the Modi inside. Great days!

#887 Jagracer

Jagracer

• 50 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 16:51

Phil, do you recall a Dickson's mechanic called 'Jimmy' that year, 1976 (wasn't you was it!?).

I remember meeting him at a friends house in Leicester that summer. I think my mate, Andrew Perrott's, dad was involved with the team somehow, or knew them anyway, and they parked the old Dickson's transporter/bus outside his house for a few days with the Modi inside. Great days!

Hi Dan
Jimmy was my No.2 Mechanic, Can't recall being parked up at any house at all can just about recall Andrew Perrott. I left the Team just before the last Race in Scotland. The Transporter was a converted Bedford twin steer Coach with the 2 cars in the back & living accommodation in the front all of which I helped to design & build, we were the envy of the paddock back then as Tommy Dickson spared no expense to build it & it had a full lenght Awning which housed both cars easily, we had a proper cooker,& fridge etc. home from home almost, which way back then was luxury, not like today with all the big Yankee Motorhomes.
In the evenings in the Paddock there was always lots of fun in our Transporter, we had a lot of laughs I can tell you. like you said those were the days, mind you we have a lot of fun now with the Jaguar Lads, Damn good crowd Regards Phil

#888 TBonatre

TBonatre

• 3 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:48

Hello,

My father has one of the Lola T450 and we are currently trying to find all the configurations of bodywork used on the T450. Thus, I would to know if the development nose (named "block of flats" above) used at Thruxton 1976 on the T460 was also fitted on the T450. It is a prerequesite in order to use this specific nose on T450 during historic car races.

According to Ted Wentz information, this nose could have been used on the T450 during the Brand Hatch formula libre race at the end of the year 1976 as it is the last race of the T450 during the year 1976. It would be great if someone can provide me with pictures of the lola T450 during this event.

Thanks and Best wishes for the new year 2011 :-)

Thomas

#889 MCS

MCS

• 3,549 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 14:04

Hello Thomas

Which T450 is it, if you don't mind my asking? I'm also curious as to why this is posted on the Atlantic thread. Has it been converted to T460 spec?

Irrespective, best of luck with your nose enquiries! For what it's worth I can't remember a T450 with the development nose...

#890 TBonatre

TBonatre

• 3 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 20:21

It is the HU #3, the one used by Yves Courage at the beginning of 1976 in France.

My message is posted here, because I did no find a specific topic for the formula 2 and that the T450 is already named above as the bodywork of my enquiries. The car is in its F2 configuration similar as the one of 1976, no modifications.

I assume that no major upgrades were done on the T450 bodyworks.

Thanks for your reply.

#891 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,883 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:58

It is the HU #3, the one used by Yves Courage at the beginning of 1976 in France.

My message is posted here, because I did no find a specific topic for the formula 2 and that the T450 is already named above as the bodywork of my enquiries. The car is in its F2 configuration similar as the one of 1976, no modifications.

I assume that no major upgrades were done on the T450 bodyworks.

Thanks for your reply.

Thomas

What happened to HU3 after Courage had it? He moved back to his Surtees for 1977 so I wondered if he'd crashed it. Do you know its owners after Courage?

Allen

#892 TBonatre

TBonatre

• 3 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 20:32

Hello Allen,

In fact, Yves Courage moved back to a Surtees or Martini in the middle of 1976 due to the "bad performances" of the Lola T450. The car was not crashed but only sold.

I have not already find the full history of this car but here is some owners of the HU #3
- Yves Courage : 1976
- Patrick Bornhauser : probably from 1977
- Jean-Paul Paria : Beginning of eighties (Family name to be confirmed)
- Robert Greusard ; 1983 (I am not sure for the first name)
- Nobert Delage : 1983 to 1985
- Philippe Graby : 1985 to 1986
- Daniel Job : 1992 to 1997
- Guillaume Bonatre : from 1997 onwards.

My father has bought the car in 1997 and has restored it during two years as the car was modified for hillclimb races.

Information and pictures can be found on the Autodiva Forum (sorry it is in french). Here-below the link for the relevant topic :

http://www.autodiva....c.php?f=2&t=485

Thomas

#893 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,693 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 15:28

A rare shot of Del Bennett's FAt Huron, Thruxton 1971
http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/
Cyd Williams' Brabham Silverstone 1973

#894 MCS

MCS

• 3,549 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 16:18

Cyd Williams' Brabham Silverstone 1973

Not sure about this. Doesn't look like the Williams car in period and there was no Atlantic race at Silverstone in August.

#895 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,883 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 17:29

Not sure about this. Doesn't look like the Williams car in period and there was no Atlantic race at Silverstone in August.

I think it's Mallory Park.

#896 MCS

MCS

• 3,549 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 18:14

I think it's Mallory Park.

But the colour/s on the car and the background is all wrong.

#897 alansart

alansart

• 4,015 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 18:56

I'm pretty sure that's Silverstone. The car is parked on the GP entry to Woodcote just before the pit entry. The breeze block wall was there in those days.

The track in the background is the end of the Club Straight. The Yellow lorry is coming out of, or parked at the Paddock Entrance.

I suggest it's a large meeting on the Club Circuit. Trailers were often parked on the GP circuit to save space in the Paddock.

Edited by alansart, 14 August 2011 - 18:58.

#898 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 06:34

Yes I agree its Silverstone for sure.

#899 MCS

MCS

• 3,549 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 19:59

Yes I agree its Silverstone for sure.

Silverstone, yes, but this is the John Wingfield Brabham BT40 raced by Ray Mallock in 1974 after he dispensed with his Ensign LNFB/74.

Advertisement

#900 Marc Sproule

Marc Sproule

• 624 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 02:44

My life has been rather hectic since my last post here so I haven't had a chance to add anything to my flickr snaps. In response to a request for pics of Price Cobb in his March 76B I've recently added about 3 dozen pics to my Atlantic set. They are the ones at the end of the set.