• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 08 January 2002 - 09:05

Hi all,

I hope you don't mind me doing some promotion. :wave:

Our amazingly gifted Bruce Thomson created the first Atlas F1 Illustrated F1 Calendar - which can be found only on Atlas F1. It's an absolutely smashing full-year 2002 poster, loaded with funny and beautiful illustrations of major events and F1 people, in reference to all the F1 Grands Prix and anniversaries.

Posted Image

For more details, look at this page

Bira

Advertisement

#2 philhitchings

philhitchings

• 18,312 posts

Posted 08 January 2002 - 13:48

Very nice Bira but at $50 it's too much for my money :( :(

#3 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,357 posts

Posted 08 January 2002 - 14:52

Phil brings up a good point - $50 IS a lot of money... however, we're not trying to burn anyone or make ourselves rich with this. The fact is that if we were printing 5 or 10,000 of these, we could offer them at a much more competitive price, but it would cost us a fortune up front, a fortune that none of us have. So to get this printed it has to be done on a print-on-demand basis, which ups the price considerably. The price at which the calendar is offered is about as low as we could go without forgoing any profit on this.

Perhaps if there is sufficient demand, we will be able to do this again, and perhaps even do it as a pre-printed piece which would, as mentioned, lower the cost considerably... as it is, I can understand that some will hesitate to spend the money... however, as mentioned, the price is not set that way to gouge you, it is merely what it costs to do business this way.

Probably the best way to think of this and to justify the price is that it will, due to the cost, be a fairly limited print run, which makes it (or will make it) something of a collectible. Also, I will be signing all calendars (I don't think that is mentioned in the sales sheet) - something I will definitely not be doing if we do a large print run in the future. So if I'm killed on my motorcycle this summer, these will be VERY worthwhile things to have... ;)

We've tried to give the best value for what we know is a considerable chunk of $$$.

Thanks for your interest Phil...

Cheers - B

#4 tedmna

tedmna

• 1,166 posts

Posted 08 January 2002 - 17:12

Bruce--

Thanks for your comments. Iwas have been involved with the publishing of limited edition signed prints in quantities of 1000 pcs, and I found the calendar pricing reasonable based on my experience. And if you guarantee your demise this year, I'll buy 10 now!;) Oh, and Happy New Year!

#5 effone2k

effone2k

• 244 posts

Posted 08 January 2002 - 17:29

Originally posted by Bruce
Phil brings up a good point - $50 IS a lot of money... however, we're not trying to burn anyone or make ourselves rich with this. The fact is that if we were printing 5 or 10,000 of these, we could offer them at a much more competitive price, but it would cost us a fortune up front, a fortune that none of us have. So to get this printed it has to be done on a print-on-demand basis, which ups the price considerably. The price at which the calendar is offered is about as low as we could go without forgoing any profit on this.

Perhaps if there is sufficient demand, we will be able to do this again, and perhaps even do it as a pre-printed piece which would, as mentioned, lower the cost considerably... as it is, I can understand that some will hesitate to spend the money... however, as mentioned, the price is not set that way to gouge you, it is merely what it costs to do business this way.

Probably the best way to think of this and to justify the price is that it will, due to the cost, be a fairly limited print run, which makes it (or will make it) something of a collectible. Also, I will be signing all calendars (I don't think that is mentioned in the sales sheet) - something I will definitely not be doing if we do a large print run in the future. So if I'm killed on my motorcycle this summer, these will be VERY worthwhile things to have... ;)

We've tried to give the best value for what we know is a considerable chunk of $$$.

Thanks for your interest Phil...

Cheers - B

$50 is a lot of money but I ordered one anyhow. Thank you for making this available to the Atlas F1 community!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#6 fifi

fifi

• 12,423 posts

Posted 08 January 2002 - 20:22

mmmm may need to buy myself a little pressie soon :D

need to clear something off the credit card first tho :(

#7 Nomad

Nomad

• 1,464 posts

Posted 08 January 2002 - 22:02

Very very tempted :love: ......have to check exchange rates first......and Bruce you have to promise not to sign my copy (JV fans bring bad luck):p

#8 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 08 January 2002 - 23:00

Originally posted by Nomad
and Bruce you have to promise not to sign my copy (JV fans bring bad luck):p

:rotfl: :lol: :rotfl:

Nomad I can sign it for you if you like :p

#9 Nikolas Garth

Nikolas Garth

• 12,019 posts

Posted 08 January 2002 - 23:03

Originally posted by philhitchings
Very nice Bira but at $50 it's too much for my money :( :(

Sometimes I find with items that I think are a touch too expensive to buy for myself, that I am more than happy to buy them as a gift for someone else, as odd as that may sound. I guess because sometimes one can spend so much time and effort looking for a present or gift for someone, that it is easier to get something you are reasonably sure they will like, even if you wouldn't buy it for yourself. :)

#10 baddog

baddog

• 29,769 posts

Posted 09 January 2002 - 02:24

nice try nik, but I dont think phil is going to buy you one ;)

Shaun

#11 unrepentant lurker

unrepentant lurker

• 347 posts

Posted 10 January 2002 - 07:15

I like it a lot, but it just isn't money I have to burn at the moment. I think you would have had a much better responce if you did some sort of a pre order thing. You could have also reaped the benefit of whatever cost savings there would have been for a bulk order.

Also, if it was announced a month ago, people could have gotten it on their Christmas list. Then Phil could have bought us all one. :D

#12 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 10 January 2002 - 09:55

unrepentant lurker we're in agreement. But for one, we really did not know what the response will be like - so there was no point going into large production costs - and we're pleasantly surprised by the number of people who ordered it so far.

No doubt this is a beginning of a wonderful tradition, and it will only improve next year :) if anything, this of this one as a rare item which, in 30 years time, someone will post in the For Sales forum asking, "does anyone have for sale a copy of the first and original Atlas 2002 calendar?" ;)

#13 paulb

paulb

• 11,261 posts

Posted 10 January 2002 - 20:27

I'm gonna do it, just have to present the proposal to the CFO of the house.

Hopefully, if the calendar continues, it will be the same size, so the frame can be used over and over.

#14 Bex37

Bex37

• 2,487 posts

Posted 10 January 2002 - 23:19

I have no problem with the reasoning for the price of the calender. And you may well be correct in that it may hold its value. But at the end of the day, its too expensive at about AUD$100. Thats about four times the price of a normal calender and, consequently, money that I just don't have to spend on this type of thing. If the price comes down in future years I will probably buy one 'cos I think its a good idea.

I hope it all goes well for Atlas' sake.

#15 squiggle bob

squiggle bob

• 4,517 posts

Posted 11 January 2002 - 13:32

you know what, i've always been the one to miss out on buying something when it is first released, so **** it, i'm gonna get one.. i don't care if it is $100, cause maybe one day, when i have a full set, i can sell it to some fool for 10 times as much.. :p

#16 paulb

paulb

• 11,261 posts

Posted 12 January 2002 - 05:17

Are the posters shipped from Newport Beach?

If so, can I pay with a check and pick one up in person?

Please, please, please?

#17 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,357 posts

Posted 13 January 2002 - 02:56

Sorry, Paul - They're shipped from Toronto - but I'll still let you pay by check if you're willing to pick it up in person.... ;)

#18 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 13 January 2002 - 06:19

Paul there is no problem paying by check. You'll need to mail us your order plus check - I will PM you the details.

#19 AdrianM

AdrianM

• 4,854 posts

Posted 13 January 2002 - 10:23

Bira can you please email me the details of how you can pay be cheque. I don't have a credit card and my tight brother want let me use his.
Thank You :)

Advertisement

#20 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 17,023 posts

Posted 15 January 2002 - 00:48

Good calender, too costly for me though.

#21 kouks

kouks

• 802 posts

Posted 16 January 2002 - 05:44

Nice work Bruce, but at AUS $100 it's a bit much.

#22 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,357 posts

Posted 16 January 2002 - 14:22

Kouks, Valen - I agree. The response for this has been pretty fantastic, though, so I am hopeful that next year I (we) will be able to do it differently (ie; not the print-on-demand route). This would enable us to offer the calendar at a more affordable price. It's not a done deal yet by any means, but hopefully...

I'd also like to point out some of the extra value that this calendar has - Most calendars only have 365 days... But I always go that extra mile for my customers and have given you 366! :blush: :blush: :blush: Next time I do a calendar I'm going to have to spend the whole time singing "30 days hath September, APRIL, May, and November...."

An extra day - just another value added feature from the concerned artist at Thomsonart.com.... ;)

#23 paulb

paulb

• 11,261 posts

Posted 16 January 2002 - 20:15

I'd also like to point out some of the extra value that this calendar has - Most calendars only have 365 days... But I always go that extra mile for my customers and have given you 366! :blush: :blush: :blush: Next time I do a calendar I'm going to have to spend the whole time singing "30 days hath September, APRIL, May, and November...."

An extra day - just another value added feature from the concerned artist at Thomsonart.com.... ;)

A bargain at only 7.25 cents/day :up: :up:

My check is in the mail.....really! :up:

#24 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 16 January 2002 - 22:45

Actually, Bruce, 2002 has only 364 days (there are 364 only on Feb 29th years). So your rare first edition calendar has 365 days, not 366 :)

#25 Mammoth

Mammoth

• 1,226 posts

Posted 16 January 2002 - 23:20

I was almost sure that 2002 has 365 days...

4 months of 30 days = 120
7 months of 31 days = 217
1 month of 28 days = 28

Total = 365 days :p

Excellent work Bruce, I would have ordered one, but actually I am trying to get the money to subscribe to Atlas F1 first. :D

#26 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,357 posts

Posted 17 January 2002 - 03:31

I'll leave you guys to figure out the # of days in a year - as evidenced by the calendar, I have enough trouble figuring out the # of days in a month! :p

#27 Nikolas Garth

Nikolas Garth

• 12,019 posts

Posted 17 January 2002 - 03:48

Originally posted by bira
Actually, Bruce, 2002 has only 364 days (there are 364 only on Feb 29th years). So your rare first edition calendar has 365 days, not 366 :)

Hmmmmmmmm, I thought that years only had 365 days, or 366 when there is a leap year. :)

#28 JayWay

JayWay

• 11,618 posts

Posted 17 January 2002 - 06:13

I got the calendar and it looks sweet. Already put it up on my wall just below my JV picture :)

#29 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 17 January 2002 - 06:57

Originally posted by Nikolas Garth
Hmmmmmmmm, I thought that years only had 365 days, or 366 when there is a leap year. :)

oh damn, I thought it was 52x7 :

#30 Nikolas Garth

Nikolas Garth

• 12,019 posts

Posted 17 January 2002 - 07:15

The calendar year is 365 days long, unless the year is exactly divisible by 4, in which case an extra day is added to February to make the year 366 days long. If the year is the last year of a century, eg. 1800, 1900, 2000, then it is only a leap year if it is exactly divisible by 400. Therefore, 1900 wasn't a leap year but 2000 was. The reason for these rules is to bring the average length of the calendar year into line with the length of the Earth's orbit around the Sun, so that the seasons always occur during the same months each year.

The year is defined as being the interval between two successive passages of the Sun through the vernal equinox. Of course, what is really occurring is that the Earth is going around the Sun but it is easier to understand what is happening by considering the apparent motion of the Sun in the sky.

The vernal equinox is the instant when the Sun is above the Earth's equator while going from the south to the north. It is the time which astronomers take as the definition of the beginning of Spring. The year as defined above is called the tropical year and it is the year length that defines the repetition of the seasons. The length of the tropical year is 365.24219 days.

In 46 BC Julius Caesar established the Julian calendar which was used in the west until 1582. In the Julian calendar each year contained 12 months and there were an average of 365.25 days in a year. This was achieved by having three years containing 365 days and one year containing 366 days. (In fact the leap years were not correctly inserted until 8 AD).

The discrepancy between the actual length of the year, 365.24219 days, and the adopted length, 365.25 days, may not seem important but over hundreds of years the difference becomes obvious. The reason for this is that the seasons, which depend on the date in the tropical year, were getting progressively out of kilter with the calendar date. Pope Gregory XIII, in 1582, instituted the Gregorian calendar, which has been used since then.

The change from the Julian calendar to the Gregorian involved the change of the simple rule for leap-years to the more complex one in which century years should only be leap-years if they were divisible by 400. For example, 1700, 1800 and 1900 are not leap-years whereas 2000 will be.

The nett effect is to make the adopted average length of the year 365.2425 days. The difference between this and the true length will not have a serious effect for many thousands of years. (The error amounts to about 3 days in 10,000 years.)

The adoption of the Gregorian calendar was made in Catholic countries in 1582 with the elimination of 10 days, October the 4th being followed by October 15th. The Gregorian calendar also stipulated that the year should start on January 1. In non-Catholic countries the change was made later; Britain and her colonies made the change in 1752 when September 2nd was followed by September 14 and New Year's Day was changed from March 25 to January 1.

#31 JayWay

JayWay

• 11,618 posts

Posted 17 January 2002 - 07:34

Originally posted by Nikolas Garth

The calendar year is 365 days long, unless the year is exactly divisible by 4, in which case an extra day is added to February to make the year 366 days long. If the year is the last year of a century, eg. 1800, 1900, 2000, then it is only a leap year if it is exactly divisible by 400. Therefore, 1900 wasn't a leap year but 2000 was. The reason for these rules is to bring the average length of the calendar year into line with the length of the Earth's orbit around the Sun, so that the seasons always occur during the same months each year.

The year is defined as being the interval between two successive passages of the Sun through the vernal equinox. Of course, what is really occurring is that the Earth is going around the Sun but it is easier to understand what is happening by considering the apparent motion of the Sun in the sky.

The vernal equinox is the instant when the Sun is above the Earth's equator while going from the south to the north. It is the time which astronomers take as the definition of the beginning of Spring. The year as defined above is called the tropical year and it is the year length that defines the repetition of the seasons. The length of the tropical year is 365.24219 days.

In 46 BC Julius Caesar established the Julian calendar which was used in the west until 1582. In the Julian calendar each year contained 12 months and there were an average of 365.25 days in a year. This was achieved by having three years containing 365 days and one year containing 366 days. (In fact the leap years were not correctly inserted until 8 AD).

The discrepancy between the actual length of the year, 365.24219 days, and the adopted length, 365.25 days, may not seem important but over hundreds of years the difference becomes obvious. The reason for this is that the seasons, which depend on the date in the tropical year, were getting progressively out of kilter with the calendar date. Pope Gregory XIII, in 1582, instituted the Gregorian calendar, which has been used since then.

The change from the Julian calendar to the Gregorian involved the change of the simple rule for leap-years to the more complex one in which century years should only be leap-years if they were divisible by 400. For example, 1700, 1800 and 1900 are not leap-years whereas 2000 will be.

The nett effect is to make the adopted average length of the year 365.2425 days. The difference between this and the true length will not have a serious effect for many thousands of years. (The error amounts to about 3 days in 10,000 years.)

The adoption of the Gregorian calendar was made in Catholic countries in 1582 with the elimination of 10 days, October the 4th being followed by October 15th. The Gregorian calendar also stipulated that the year should start on January 1. In non-Catholic countries the change was made later; Britain and her colonies made the change in 1752 when September 2nd was followed by September 14 and New Year's Day was changed from March 25 to January 1.

That was awesome

#32 Mammoth

Mammoth

• 1,226 posts

Posted 17 January 2002 - 07:37

Originally posted by JayWay

That was awesome

If only he had read it.... :D

#33 HP

HP

• 19,646 posts

Posted 17 January 2002 - 11:12

Here's a simple way to determine the length of months that I learnt as kid. Wish I could show it as it is really simple to remember, once you get the idea.

Make fists, and put them next to each other. (Thumbs not visible).

Now count the months as following. A finger is counted 31 days, a gap between fingers 30(29) days

January = small finger left, February = gap to next finger, etc. When you are finished with the first (left) fist (index finger), you should arrive at July. If you have put the fist together correctly, there shouldn't be a gap from index finger left hand to index finger right hand, that means August counts 31 days (I know that too well since its my birthday :) ) The one thing needed to remember is that between the two index finger there is no gap.

And yes it works as well if you are from a country where you write from right to left.

#34 Mickey

Mickey

• 2,870 posts

Posted 17 January 2002 - 11:41

To remember the number of days in each month, here in Italy we have a short rhyme:

"Trenta giorni a Novembre,
con April, Giugno e Settembre.
Di ventotto ce n'è uno,
tutti gli altri ne han trentuno!"

Of course, you all only need to learn Italian now :lol:

Ok, the translation, which still rhymes, is

"Thirty days in November,
and April, June, and September.
Of twenty-eight there's only one,
all the others have thirty-one!"

;)

#35 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 17 January 2002 - 11:47

I grew up with HP's way, so that's how I do it to this day :)

#36 Billy

Billy

• 2,969 posts

Posted 17 January 2002 - 12:42

if that was true, then you would get bored with your birthday falling on the same day of the week for 3 years in a row ...

#37 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,357 posts

Posted 17 January 2002 - 14:54

Mickey - we have a similar rhyme in English - I was taught it thus

"Thirty days hath September,
April, June and November
All the rest have 31
Except for February which has 28 and 29 on a leap year...

Kinda falls apart in the rhyming department at the end, dunnit? Everything rhymes so much better in Italian!

#38 Mickey

Mickey

• 2,870 posts

Posted 17 January 2002 - 22:22

April, June and November
All the rest have 31

Kinda falls apart in the rhyming department at the end, dunnit? Everything rhymes so much better in Italian!

Bruce :lol:

I think the english translation of the Italian one, even if not as explicit, sounds already better! :p

#39 Billy

Billy

• 2,969 posts

Posted 18 January 2002 - 10:32

April, June and November
All the rest have 31

I was taught a different ending:

Thirty days hath September,
April, June and November
All the rest have 31
Except February alone,
which has but 28 days clear
and 29 in a leap year.

Advertisement

#40 z bleebox

z bleebox

• 81 posts

Posted 18 January 2002 - 11:26

Originally posted by Mickey
To remember the number of days in each month, here in Italy we have a short rhyme:

"Trenta giorni a Novembre,
con April, Giugno e Settembre.
Di ventotto ce n'è uno,
tutti gli altri ne han trentuno!"

Of course, you all only need to learn Italian now :lol:

Ok, the translation, which still rhymes, is

"Thirty days in November,
and April, June, and September.
Of twenty-eight there's only one,
all the others have thirty-one!"

;)

we have in spain the same tune !!; that of course also rhymes. I guess that the "music" will be the same also

#41 z bleebox

z bleebox

• 81 posts

Posted 18 January 2002 - 11:30

Originally posted by z bleebox

we have in spain the same tune !!; that of course also rhymes. I guess that the "music" will be the same also

sorry, thanslation (if anyody is interested)

"treinta dias tiene Noviembre
com Abril, Junio y Septiembre
de ventiocho hay uno
y el resto tiene treintaiuno."

another rule of thumb. if you do not remember whether was June or July the one with 31, remember that the roman emperor´s months (August and Julius) they both had 31!!

#42 Pets22

Pets22

• 493 posts

Posted 18 January 2002 - 18:44

Back to the point - i bought two of these calenders got them yesterday - very nice work and the thanks in hand writing is a nice touch. Hope they all sell!!

#43 sennadog93

sennadog93

• 4,511 posts

Posted 21 January 2002 - 09:28

The posty got me out of bed this morning clutching my Thomson Art 2002 poster....

First impressions:

It's smaller than I thought it would be although the quality is as good as you would expect....

It's signed so it is more of a collectible than a stick it on the wall with blue tack jobby....

It wasn't addressed to Sennadog which I put in the filed form, someone got clever and addressed it to me personally - I wanted to see Sennadog on the address slip... :down: Remember next year..;)

There are 3 digs at my favourite drivers... :mad:

It doesn't have Williams debut on it... :confused:

Would I buy one again? Probably. I think I will be happier when it is framed and on my office wall.

:up:

#44 sennadog93

sennadog93

• 4,511 posts

Posted 22 January 2002 - 11:11

Maybe I should have asked if anyone has actually ordered one?

#45 AdrianM

AdrianM

• 4,854 posts

Posted 22 January 2002 - 11:35

No one has answered my thread so I can't buy one :(

#46 sennadog93

sennadog93

• 4,511 posts

Posted 22 January 2002 - 15:29

Try contacting Thomson art direct.

thomson@atlasf1.com

#47 shabby

shabby

• 82 posts

Posted 22 January 2002 - 15:37

Hi,

i'am waiting for it, i'am quite used to having a calender on the wall in the office ... . As i'am overseas it will probably take some more time :(

#48 skylark68

skylark68

• 2,427 posts

Posted 22 January 2002 - 23:34

1) Bruce's art is special
2) There is none like it anywhere
3) It looks great framed
4) Fifty bucks? Big deal. My car takes more than that in one fill. I drink that much coffee in a week.

It is so good, I ordered two. And, I think everyone should order one, IMO, and for what it's worth.

#49 AdrianM

AdrianM

• 4,854 posts

Posted 23 January 2002 - 00:02

Thanks Sennadog93 :up: :)

#50 effone2k

effone2k

• 244 posts

Posted 23 January 2002 - 00:18

Originally posted by sennadog93
Maybe I should have asked if anyone has actually ordered one?

I ordered one but it has yet to arrive. Thanks for the snaek preview of the calendar.