Photo

Lauda drives Jag and gets in a spin

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#1 WDC

WDC

• 1,061 posts

Posted 13 January 2002 - 11:21

Triple Formula 1 world champion Niki Lauda got back behind wheel of an F1 car in his role as Jaguar Racing boss at Valencia this morning (Sunday) and spun twice in only three laps.

Grand prix legend Lauda retired from the sport at the end of 1985 and the closest the Austrian has come to driving a modern F1 car before today was a McLaren two-seater at Hockenheim in 2002.

Lauda took the decision to drive one of his team's cars in order to get a feel for the chassis and enable him to better communicate with drivers Eddie Irvine and Pedro de la Rosa.

The 52-year-old completed an installation lap before returning to the twisty Spanish track, but spun on the exit of the tight Turn 2. After being towed back to the pits, Lauda took to the circuit once more, but his R2 machine promptly swapped ends again in exactly the same place.

"I have said that a monkey could drive these cars, so maybe I am a monkey," said Lauda at the launch of Jaguar's 2002 car 10 days ago.

After having completed only three laps after his first forays onto the track, Lauda is expected to drive again later in the day. Irvine and de la Rosa are also on hand at Valencia to continue development of the all-new R3.

Advertisement

#2 confucius

confucius

• 2,568 posts

Posted 13 January 2002 - 11:34

Originally posted by WDC
the closest the Austrian has come to driving a modern F1 car before today was a McLaren two-seater at Hockenheim in 2002.

:confused:

Anyway, that would've been an interesting sight. Spinning twice with TC? The mechanics must've been stifling laughs and nudging and winking at each other when he first ventured out.

#3 HSJ

HSJ

• 14,002 posts

Posted 13 January 2002 - 11:42

Niki "The Monkey" Lauda.

#4 AdrianM

AdrianM

• 4,854 posts

Posted 13 January 2002 - 11:49

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well done Niki. I bet Pedro and Eddie are happy :up:

#5 HSJ

HSJ

• 14,002 posts

Posted 13 January 2002 - 11:51

Or how about: "Monkey" (a picture of a monkey) -- the driver formerly known as Niki Lauda. :lol:

#6 LeTurc

LeTurc

• 1,537 posts

Posted 13 January 2002 - 12:16

Originally posted by HSJ
Niki "The Monkey" Lauda.

A monkey ? Noway. Monkeys can drive formula cars.
At most a donkey.

#7 Enkei

Enkei

• 5,853 posts

Posted 13 January 2002 - 12:16

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

First pics....

#8 AdrianM

AdrianM

• 4,854 posts

Posted 13 January 2002 - 12:19

:lol:
I love the first one :up:
Thanks for posting them

#9 speedy

speedy

• 1,783 posts

Posted 13 January 2002 - 12:22

Perhaps the first pic shows how even a monkey can drive a modern f1 car :rotfl:

#10 BuzzingHornet

BuzzingHornet

• 6,190 posts

Posted 13 January 2002 - 12:29

:rotfl:

Well, Eddie's job is safe for another year now :)

#11 A3

A3

• 32,107 posts

Posted 13 January 2002 - 12:56

:lol: :lol: @ that 1st pic. :D

#12 Dironey

Dironey

• 247 posts

Posted 13 January 2002 - 13:17

Actually Niki said that a monkey could drive those cars, so he is obviously no monkey.

#13 philhitchings

philhitchings

• 18,312 posts

Posted 13 January 2002 - 13:24

Originally posted by Dironey
Actually Niki said that a monkey could drive those cars, so he is obviously no monkey.

:rotfl: good one :up: :up:

As far as the monkey goes I've never heard of a Ratmonkey before today but now I've seen one I guess it must be true :lol: :lol:

#14 wati

wati

• 1,155 posts

Posted 13 January 2002 - 13:25

I thought he'll drive the new model. That's last year's car.

Wattie

#15 AdrianM

AdrianM

• 4,854 posts

Posted 13 January 2002 - 13:34

Now he is blaming de la Rosa for the spins :lol: ;)
http://www.autosport...=17659&series=5

#16 Dironey

Dironey

• 247 posts

Posted 13 January 2002 - 13:34

I thought he'll drive the new model. That's last year's car.

As far as I know, he was never meant to drive the new car. They thought it would be too much of a risk with new expensive equipment, and he could learn enough from the old one.

#17 Foxbat

Foxbat

• 3,706 posts

Posted 13 January 2002 - 13:44

Originally posted by AdrianM
Now he is blaming de la Rosa for the spins :lol: ;)
http://www.autosport...=17659&series=5

Talk about spins "and excused himself by saying he tried to brake as late as race team driver Pedro de la Rosa." The headline for that article might as well have been, Lauda not as good as de la Rosa :p

#18 Shiftin

Shiftin

• 5,976 posts

Posted 13 January 2002 - 13:47

I admire him for trying. It shows guts IMO. Go Lauda!

#19 Williams

Williams

• 6,829 posts

Posted 13 January 2002 - 13:58

Considering that Lauda never expected to drive the car on the limit, he was never going to really learn anything about the car, so it was a publicity stunt, one which went badly awry, as far as I can see.

Advertisement

#20 A3

A3

• 32,107 posts

Posted 13 January 2002 - 14:03

"The reason I spun is because Pedro told me where to brake," said Lauda. "I was brave enough to go in there as late as Pedro - at all the other corners I took it slower.

"Both drivers said if I'd gone out and been slow without trying, they would never speak to me again. At least they know that I tried."

:clap: :lol:

#21 Indian Chief

Indian Chief

• 2,812 posts

Posted 13 January 2002 - 14:24

I hope this shuts up the people who were whining about F1 cars being too easy to drive. If Lauda could have driven at any track, it would have been at Valenica which hasn't got a single fast corner.

I wonder how many spins he would have had if he had tried testing at Barcelona or Silverstone!:lol:

#22 alain

alain

• 1,313 posts

Posted 13 January 2002 - 14:30

15 seconds...LOL @ Lauda

#23 The First MH

The First MH

• 9,958 posts

Posted 13 January 2002 - 14:32

Exerpts from the press conference afterwards...Taken from Formula1.com:

Q: You have talked about what is easier nowadays, can you tell us if anything is harder?

NL: The difficult part was getting the balance of the car right - going into the corner I had understeer, and at the corner I had a twitchy car (oversteer). In my time I used slick tyres so the car was glued to the floor, and steady round the corner because of the grip, but now we have grooved tyres and less aero (help) the car changes characteristics quickly until it get to its grippy phase. It is more progressive in terms of speed through corners than it used to be.

Q: What has this helped you to achieve?

NL: Now I know what words like launch control, traction control, engine braking, brake balance etc. mean. I can follow meetings better. When I was listening before, the software related problems I didn't understand, now I will be able to. [Interpretation of answer: What have I learnt? Nothing expect for the fact that I am a stupid half-wit (read: monkey!) who cannot understand anything people tell me. I now believe my engineers and drivers when they mention traction control, and can relate to what it means. Before I just ignored them. I still don't know what this internet thing is though!]

Q: What did the engineers say when you spun the car?

NL: When I spun I forgot to say anything, so the team came on the radio saying 'hello are you there', but I was so p***** off (upset) that I did not speak. Eventually I told them I spun.

The Austrian emerged from the pits at 10.29 local time for one lap. At 10.39 he appeared again, but had only just begun his first full lap of the track before spinning into the gravel at the second corner. He tried again at 11.08 and this time was caught out by turn three.

He did manage three timed laps before he called it a day at lunchtime, and progressively moved up the time sheets starting off with a 1.31.180. He then improved to a 1.30.070 before finishing up on a 1.29.480. Pedro de la Rosa's time around the same track in the R2 was a 1.14.000.

Another monkey will drive later:
Wolfgang Reitzle, CEO of Jaguar Cars, will drive a lap in the R2 (his first experience of a formula1 car) at 13.00.

#24 AndersF1

AndersF1

• 236 posts

Posted 13 January 2002 - 14:35

I think it was a quite good PR-stunt. Lauda is still a very famous person, I guess for the general public he's more well known than most of todays F1-drivers - even my mother knows who Niki Lauda is. So a testdrive by Lauda could maybe generate more articles in ordinary press than all other testdrives combined, especially if something happens... Together with some nice pictures of the car towed back to the pits, with sponsor-names on it, Jaguar and their partners can get a lot of free advertising in many major papers. Just think about the amount of money that would have costed them if they should have payed for it. It also shows that it is not so easy to drive a modern F1-car as many thinks. I don't know, but isn't it a little strange that he spun at the same place twice in his opening laps but did not seem to have any problems in the other curves and wasn't driving too hard, with about 15 seconds from a competitive lap time? I don't remember him having any problems driving the McLaren two-seater, or did he? Or maybe he just wanted to show that he was at least as intelligent as a monkey, but failed. :)

#25 The First MH

The First MH

• 9,958 posts

Posted 13 January 2002 - 14:52

Originally posted by AndersF1
I think it was a quite good PR-stunt. Lauda is still a very famous person, I guess for the general public he's more well known than most of todays F1-drivers - even my mother knows who Niki Lauda is. So a testdrive by Lauda could maybe generate more articles in ordinary press than all other testdrives combined, especially if something happens... Together with some nice pictures of the car towed back to the pits, with sponsor-names on it, Jaguar and their partners can get a lot of free advertising in many major papers. Just think about the amount of money that would have costed them if they should have payed for it. It also shows that it is not so easy to drive a modern F1-car as many thinks. I don't know, but isn't it a little strange that he spun at the same place twice in his opening laps but did not seem to have any problems in the other curves and wasn't driving too hard, with about 15 seconds from a competitive lap time? I don't remember him having any problems driving the McLaren two-seater, or did he? Or maybe he just wanted to show that he was at least as intelligent as a monkey, but failed. :)

Sure it's a great PR stunt. But then why not call it that, instead of approaching it as a "test." IMO, I don't think it's a negative thing for Lauda to drive the Jag, but what I do mind is the way it was approached. In Lauda's words,

"My intention for this test was to understand the technology of the car: launch control, traction control and engine behaviour. I found out everything I wanted to know." [WOW! in just 8 laps...]

Now if he just listened to the engineers/drivers etc, I'm sure he would have learnt as much about launch or traction control etc., without it costing a fortune. That money could have been spent better elswhere - like on an up-and-coming driver. So why not call a spade a spade. This was a PR exercise, and should be called that from the start. But instead Lauda calls it a test, and in the process gives everybody the impression (very publically I might add) that he has absolutely no faith in his drivers or engineers. He doesn't have to drive an F1 car to know what traction control and luanch control is!
Sorry for the rant... :blush:

#26 Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath

• 53 posts

Posted 13 January 2002 - 14:58

Remember those threads where some of our posters were bragging that they could handle an F1 car because they could kick but on racing sims. Well, after learning that Niki Lauda (former WDC) is 15 seconds slower than a competitve lap in his test with the Jag, I wonder if many opinions have changed. Do any of you really believe that you could be competitve in an F1 car. Doesn't seem too easy to me. Opinions anyone?

#27 PeaQ

PeaQ

• 3,705 posts

Posted 13 January 2002 - 15:04

I could... :smoking:

#28 FW11B

FW11B

• 2,421 posts

Posted 13 January 2002 - 15:17

I don't know- I tend to think the only way you can really get a feel for something is to experience it first hand. I wonder if other team owners or engineers should get just such an experience.

The First MH - Like the Avatar - looks kind of familiar.

#29 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 13 January 2002 - 15:32

Originally posted by alain
15 seconds...LOL @ Lauda

he actually did a 1m29.481s, which is roughly bout 9 seconds off what the Jags qualified last year in Barcelona (2001) , not the 15 seconds that the media have made up, i think that is seriously impressive for a 52years old, i know i couldnt do it, and im 16 and im allright at handling a go-kart
maybe its bout 15 seconds off the pace off 2002 qualifying, but still he was only bout 9 seconds off the 2001 qualifying pace the Jag showed, Well done Niki!

#30 cygnus

cygnus

• 434 posts

Posted 13 January 2002 - 15:33

Niki Lauda :up:

Great to see that 52 year old champion give it a shot and experience how the current cars drive. Anyone who is critical of him can take a flyin' leap .. i'd love to see you complete a lap.

#31 pRy

pRy

• 26,406 posts

Posted 13 January 2002 - 15:36

9 seconds off after only 3 laps or did he do more since then?

#32 nigel red5

nigel red5

• 9,468 posts

Posted 13 January 2002 - 15:47

He`s supposed to be running some more laps in the afternoon. I`ve seen some pictures, which are being sent out to ORF, Premiere world, ARD (German & Austrian TV) - look out for them later in the news bulliteins.
Pedro is finding the whole experience highly amusing - he`s done nothing but laugh and grin from the pictures that i`ve seen so far...
Eddie is liking the historical value of a triple WC driving the car. He was watching Lauda driving round and he says to the PR guy "Oh, come on. His head must be falling off by now!" :rotfl:

Seen about 12 mins of pictures so far, with more to come in the next couple of hours. If it`s purely a PR stunt, then it`s worked out 100% so far. However, i think he`s definitely on a fact finding mission - otherwise, why go in the car in the first place?

BTW - During one of his spins (did`nt end up in gravel), he dipped the clutch, kept the engine running, but as he revved it for the famous spin-turn he lost the engine. There are on-board pictures for this as well.

#33 Zmeej

Zmeej

• 68,489 posts

Posted 13 January 2002 - 15:49

Son of Jethro! :up: :up:

The racing sims need a couple of things to make the virtual braggarts humbler: A large gorilla pushing them into the seat on the corners, making it difficult to move legs on pedals and hands on steering; another gorilla trying to snap their head from side to side; and a third gorilla shaking them around and up and down within the straps in response to bumps on the road.

That would be good "force feedback," eh?

Of course, you'd also need the howl of the engine, the wind, and a cortical implant in the hypothalamus that would transmit copious hormones to the front cortex signalling: "Oh ****, this thing is going very quickly, and if I go off, I'm going to need a lot more than the reset button."

Lauda's decision to take this test drive was quite courageous, and his comments afterwards very gracious. I'm impressed with him again. Was beginning to dislike the man intensely for the way he handled Rahal.

#34 Diffuser

Diffuser

• 118 posts

Posted 13 January 2002 - 15:50

Originally posted by Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

he actually did a 1m29.481s, which is roughly bout 9 seconds off what the Jags qualified last year in Barcelona (2001) , not the 15 seconds that the media have made up, i think that is seriously impressive for a 52years old, i know i couldnt do it, and im 16 and im allright at handling a go-kart
maybe its bout 15 seconds off the pace off 2002 qualifying, but still he was only bout 9 seconds off the 2001 qualifying pace the Jag showed, Well done Niki!

This was Valencia and NOT Barcelona.

#35 mmoore97

mmoore97

• 43 posts

Posted 13 January 2002 - 15:52

Hat's off to "Chim Chim" Lauda for another fine drive. :rotfl:

I found another pic from the test.
Posted Image

#36 alain

alain

• 1,313 posts

Posted 13 January 2002 - 15:55

It was in Valencia not Barcelona.I understand you are a schumifan,but it isnt an excuse for not being able to read.

#37 The First MH

The First MH

• 9,958 posts

Posted 13 January 2002 - 15:55

Originally posted by FW11B
I don't know- I tend to think the only way you can really get a feel for something is to experience it first hand. I wonder if other team owners or engineers should get just such an experience.

The First MH - Like the Avatar - looks kind of familiar.

I stole the avatar off someone here - apologies :blush: Thats why it looks familiar I guess.

#38 The First MH

The First MH

• 9,958 posts

Posted 13 January 2002 - 15:56

Originally posted by mmoore97
Hat's off to "Chim Chim" Lauda for another fine drive. :rotfl:

I found another pic from the test.
Posted Image

That's just out right funny

:clap: :clap: :clap:

#39 FW11B

FW11B

• 2,421 posts

Posted 13 January 2002 - 15:59

How would these times have compared to lap times in '85?

Originally posted by The First MH

I stole the avatar off someone here - apologies :blush: Thats why it looks familiar I guess.

I know - I made it for him :lol:

Advertisement

#40 The First MH

The First MH

• 9,958 posts

Posted 13 January 2002 - 16:00

Originally posted by cygnus
Niki Lauda :up:

Great to see that 52 year old champion give it a shot and experience how the current cars drive. Anyone who is critical of him can take a flyin' leap .. i'd love to see you complete a lap.

If I did I wouldn't be idiotic enough to call it a [B}test[/B] if it was really a fact finding mission, especially if I was a team principle that had won 3 WDCs. It can only reflect badly on team (i.e., I have no confidence in you), or make me look like an idiot (read: Monkey!) if my time was some 15 seconds off pace. Call it PR and have fun sure, but be straight up about it. That's my beef :blush:

#41 The First MH

The First MH

• 9,958 posts

Posted 13 January 2002 - 16:03

Originally posted by FW11B
I know - I made it for him :lol:

Then I must say thanks: GREAT JOB :up:

Now if only JV would change the colours on his lid...

#42 Hotwheels

Hotwheels

• 2,851 posts

Posted 13 January 2002 - 16:41

For all the skeptics - i think the intention was good , Niki just didn't realise who much can change in 15 years. He thought "been there , done that" is as easy as it would be - but of course time and technology waits for no one.

He is trying to be completely hands on - which is the right way for any CEO to be - i work in a marketing firm and i cannot ask my juniors to do something if i have no clue what it is about . I need to understand the current conditions etc and not only base it on conditions which were present when i was at that level. Its exactly the same for him.

So give him the credit he is due

#43 FrankB

FrankB

• 3,658 posts

Posted 13 January 2002 - 17:02

People seem to think that Lauda's outing could only have had a single motive - either a test, a fact finding mission, a PR stunt or a piece of self-indulgence. Has it occurred to anyone that Lauda may have intended to combine all of these.

It seems that all four of these objectives were met to a greater or lesser extent.

The value as a test may be minimal - what feedback could he give, what datum could he compare his findings with?

He certainly found out some facts - a modern F1 is a difficult beast to tame, whatever your background. He has also found that his abilities or the cars have changed tremendously in 15 years. I wouldn't think for a moment that he lacked respect for current drivers before today, this exercise can only have heightened that respect.

PR stunt - almost certainly effective. If this doesn't get a mention in tomorrow's press I will be very surprised.

And as for self-indulgence - how many other team bosses secretly wish that they had thought of this idea first, and how many readers of this BB wouldn't do everything they could to get a few laps behind the wheel of a current GP car (or even one of last years)?

#44 sennadog93

sennadog93

• 4,511 posts

Posted 13 January 2002 - 17:28

Sheesh. People are so quick to critcise! The bloke probably called it a test as that is the terminology that he is used to. He's not driven a car like that for so long and everyone wants to have a pop at him even though he was brave enough to have a go when he had everything to lose. If he was too slow people would have a go at him and if he was fast enough then all would be saying - "what do you expect, he was a WC" - give him a break. :rolleyes:

#45 zaphod bleebox

zaphod bleebox

• 8 posts

Posted 13 January 2002 - 17:46

he actually did a 1m29.481s, which is roughly bout 9 seconds off what the Jags qualified last year in Barcelona (2001) ,

They were in Valencia, not in Barcelona

#46 Slyder

Slyder

• 5,453 posts

Posted 13 January 2002 - 17:52

Some people here just piss me off.

Here we are laughing out loud and bashing at a guy who hasn't driven a Formula 1 car in 15 years, and you expect to impress in the very first moment he takes to the track?

C'mon grow up, he still has a lot to learn about the car, you think he's going to learn from the car the very minute he steps into it?

Hell, I'd like to see you critics try it. :mad:

I'm actually glad for Lauda that he's trying to test the Jaguar. That's a sign that he's determined to work his team out towards success. My hat's off to him. :up: :up:

#47 LeTurc

LeTurc

• 1,537 posts

Posted 13 January 2002 - 18:00

Originally posted by Slyder
Some people here just piss me off.

Here we are laughing out loud and bashing at a guy who hasn't driven a Formula 1 car in 15 years, and you expect to impress in the very first moment he takes to the track?

C'mon grow up, he still has a lot to learn about the car, you think he's going to learn from the car the very minute he steps into it?

Hell, I'd like to see you critics try it. :mad:

I'm actually glad for Lauda that he's trying to test the Jaguar. That's a sign that he's determined to work his team out towards success. My hat's off to him. :up: :up:

I dont think anybody would critisize him if he hadnt say monkey thing.

#48 The_Z_Man

The_Z_Man

• 1,605 posts

Posted 13 January 2002 - 18:09

FWIW Last years Valencia Jaguar test times:

Eddie Irvine Jaguar R2 Cosworth CR-3 1'13.817
Luciano Burti Jaguar R2 Cosworth CR-3 1'14.38x
Pedro de la Rosa Jaguar R2 Cosworth CR-3 1'14.546

The_Z_Man

#49 MONTOYASPEED

MONTOYASPEED

• 8,110 posts

Posted 13 January 2002 - 18:36

Lol @ Lauda :lol: :lol: :lol:

#50 Slyder

Slyder

• 5,453 posts

Posted 13 January 2002 - 18:49

This is interesting,

From www.grandprix.com

Lauda enjoys successful Jaguar F1 test

NIKI LAUDA had a successful test outing in the F1 Jaguar R2C at Valencia today (Sunday), completing seven flying laps and admitting that the exercise had given him a great insight into the business of driving a contemporary Grand Prix machine.

"At the end of the day my beliefs were confirmed," said Lauda, "and F1 cars have certainly changed dramatically since my day. On this experience they seem to be more easier to drive, but the test has given me a useful insight into the electronic dimension on today's cars, something which I always felt rather left out of when we were discussing these systems at technical debriefs." Lauda also tried a launch control start on the main straight which he found quite straightforward to initiate and extremely impressive.

Lauda did several laps and matched the straight line speed achieved by Pedro de la Rosa in the R2C earlier in the day, around 260kph. Observers say his corner entry speeds were also extremely impressive. However the Austrian admitted that, while it had been a useful exercise, he had no further plans to test again.

Prior to the test many Jaguar insiders had been divided over the wisdom of the 52-year-old team principal getting back behind the wheel sixteen years after driving in his last grand prix.

Yet the exercise did not deflect from the Jaguar team's pre-season development program. No formula one testing as such was permitted at Valencia yesterday and the Jaguar team had rented the track primarily to amass as much promotional television shots of Eddie Irvine driving the new R3 on a day when the television rights were not controlled by F1 commercial rights holder Kirch.

"To be honest, it was nice to see Niki out there," said Irvine, "and it's certainly not going to hurt our technical debriefs, although I'm not sure how much it will move the process forward."

This source differs from other sources. Or maybe Lauda has taken to the track again.