Photo

Jo Ramirez autobiography

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1 karlcars

karlcars

• 660 posts

Posted 23 January 2002 - 19:33

Another thread has mentioned the fact that Jo Ramirez is planning to write a book about his experiences in racing. Jo tells me that his timing is slipping and he's worried that people will soon forget him and so his recollections may not be of interest by the time his book comes out.

I would be interested in TNF comments on this thesis. What level of interest might there be? And what would folks most like to hear about from Jo? I'm sure he would appreciate your guidance, which I will pass along.

Advertisement

#2 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,992 posts

Posted 23 January 2002 - 21:04

I would get it!!!

#3 F1Rulz

F1Rulz

• 351 posts

Posted 23 January 2002 - 21:31

I'd have a look at/buy it. A auto-biography w/ his experiences (and inside info; he doesn't have to piss anyone off, just tell the truth) is what I'd be interested in. I'm not totally tuned in about his whole carreer except for McLaren mostly (as I'm relatively new to F1; ~7 yrs). I would be interested in his time w/ D. Gurney etc. He seems like a real nice fellow. I actually got a chance at a event in Montreal (this year) to wish him good luck the next day and he seemed genuinely appreciative. Class IMO. I'm sure anyone who has followed F1 would surely not forget him. The other thing he would need to remember that his book is specialized and it's probably not going to be on the NY Times top 10. Other than that if some publisher is willing to print it he should go for it.

#4 Dave Ware

Dave Ware

• 998 posts

Posted 23 January 2002 - 21:49

I'd be very interested. I think that us mere mortal fans - at TNF and elsewhere - would be interested in hearing about what goes on behind the scenes. For instance, recently we had a thread on Francois Cevert's unfortuante fatal accident. We speculated as to the condition of Cevert's ankles - they had been injured at Canada - his attitude toward Scheckter (with whom he clashed at Mosport), and his motivation during his final laps - was he going for the pole? Mr. Ramiez could probably answer these questions. And I'd expect he could answer questions about AAR, McLaren, Prost, Senna, etc.

I'm not sure that the time lag would matter. People are still interested in these things. Heck, Louis Stanley still writes about the sixties.

Dave

#5 Zawed

Zawed

• 4,500 posts

Posted 23 January 2002 - 22:22

I would be very interested. I'm sure Jo has a lot to say in his book!

#6 Ivan

Ivan

• 6,646 posts

Posted 23 January 2002 - 22:36

When I see his book in the store. I'll leave a vapor trail grabbing it so fast.
I have read that he said he doesn't think anyone will remember him. He has been breathing to much clear air, and it's making him dizzy.

#7 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,482 posts

Posted 23 January 2002 - 22:37

I also think that he should not worry about any time lag. I would be very interested in what he had to say.

#8 Louis Mr. F1

Louis Mr. F1

• 3,495 posts

Posted 24 January 2002 - 02:38

I'd definitely buy it :up: :up:

where did you hear that he's writing a book?

#9 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 24 January 2002 - 02:58

I think that Jo is sadly mistaken if he seriously thinks that his "story" has such a short shelf-life! I have run into Jo a few times and I thought he was great -- very polite and a gent. I think his story would be definitely one that wouls appeal to many interested in motor racing and not necessarily the micro-memory crowd that follows F1 or Bernie Super-Kart these days.

Lou, if you hung around here more often you would get the real scoops.... :lol:

JO! WRITE THE BOOK!

....and if you need an editor I available and very resonable (perhaps "cheap" might be a better word)...

#10 rmhorton

rmhorton

• 343 posts

Posted 24 January 2002 - 03:20

Karl,

When Jo mentioned to me that he was thinking about writing a book I was very excited. When you consider for a moment all the teams/projects/drivers he has been involved in over his forty years in the sport it makes it makes any true enthusiast’s mouth water in anticipation. Jo was there. He saw it all, and now surely he has no axe to grind or position to protect.

I know he still finds it hard to talk about Ayrton Senna, but he would surely have a few fresh insights into this great driver’s career. Those two years Senna spent at McLaren with Alain Prost during 1988/9 are still two of the most fascinating years of (relatively) modern F1 history.

To me, the key is for him to find the right author to work with, someone who can draw it all out of him. Not to dish the dirt, but to tell it like it (mostly) was. His career spans an era over which the sport changed totally and Jo was involved at the cutting edge.

Please work on him Karl. There is no sense in him sitting there in Spain wiling away his time and riding his Harley when he has a serious amount of the sport’s history fading away with his memory!!

Roger Horton

#11 karlcars

karlcars

• 660 posts

Posted 24 January 2002 - 18:17

These are great comments, guys. Much appreciated!

#12 troyf1

troyf1

• 2,551 posts

Posted 24 January 2002 - 18:22

I would certainly buy the book. The man is a legend in the F1 paddock and has worked with some of the best drivers in F1. The stories about Prost and Senna alone would be worth the price of the book. GO FOR IT JO!!!!

#13 FEV

FEV

• 909 posts

Posted 24 January 2002 - 18:26

How many people can tell they spent 40 years at the top of sport, working with the greatest from Pedro & Ricardo to Häkkinen ? Even if had to wait 40 more years I would buy his book ! Probably the only man involved in F1 actually (well that was active last year) of who I would buy a book of. I mean if Murray Walker writes books, Jo Ramirez as the right to write one per year :)

#14 holiday

holiday

• 3,473 posts

Posted 24 January 2002 - 19:05

That Honda-Prost thing in 88 and especially in 89!

AP claiming that there is a constant unexplainable difference of speed between his and AS engine, AP often making the better starts, but somehow getting slower before he braking points of the first corner, AP in 89 being as fast as AS in testing, but seldomly in the races, AP and Honda discussing changes on the engine during testing, but Honda mostly not showing up with their implementation at the races (except France), AP strangely having more fuel in the tank after many races in 89 and also 88, but nobody at the team being to able to explain this,

the attitude of Hondas engineers attitude towards the "computer" Prost and the "samurai" Senna (quote by Kawamoto) in general, AP strangely or not taking pole and victory at both French GPs, the attitude of the team towards AP after he announces his switch to Ferrari at Le Castellet 89, the first corner agreements between AS and AP in general and APs allegations of AS breaking that one in the Tosa curve at Imola 89 in particular, the "most difficult weekend of my career" at Monza 89 with AP working with one t-car and 5, 6 mechanics at one side of the garage and AS working with two t-cars and over 20 mechanics at the other side,

McLaren openly breaking contracts with Prost and the distribution of the t-car during midseason 89, Suzuka 89, Dennis role as a neutral or not mediator in general (ok, I dont expect Jo to be too outspoken on this issue :lol: ;) ) , etc. etc.

In short all these eminent important details which compromise modern formula1 so much, but which are rarely discussed in public, may it be because they are sensitive stuff, may it be because the broad public wouldnt understand their significance anyway

Over the years, I have read a couple of interviews with Jo stating that Honda "factually favoured Senna over Prost" - the last time in his exclusive interview with atlas f1 in oct. 2001-, but in an interview there is not much room for an in-depth analysis, of course. But in an motorsport book there is, for sure!

It would be really interesting to hear from someone who was directly at the heartbeat of things during the Prost-Senna feud, and JR was known to be the only man getting along well with both drivers! Who could ask for a more accurate and unbiased report. :D

#15 holiday

holiday

• 3,473 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 21:41

Is the book out? :)

#16 Maldwyn

Maldwyn

• 1,488 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 21:54

Originally posted by karlcars
Jo tells me that his timing is slipping and he's worried that people will soon forget him and so his recollections may not be of interest by the time his book comes out.

What he has to say, whenever he has to say it, will be of enormous interest without question. An account of his years in the sport will make fascinating reading.

#17 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 23:11

I am sure that both Karl and myself have several times encountered reluctance on the part of a sure-fire successful autobiographer. It's not difficult to tell those who have an inside story thoroughly worth relating from those vainglorious types who have not.

Jo is absolutely at the upper end of the scale in the former class. DO IT JO...but take your time and do it right, age will not weary a story such as yours.

DCN

#18 Pedro 917

Pedro 917

• 1,767 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 23:11

I would love to read all the Rodriguez' stories, how he came to Europe with Ricardo and the Porsche 917 years with Pedro at John Wyer. Go for it Jo !!!

Posted Image

#19 Lotus23

Lotus23

• 1,006 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 23:23

Add my name to the list of those who'd buy Jo's book in a New York minute!

Advertisement

#20 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,241 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 23:32

Originally posted by Maldwyn
What he has to say, whenever he has to say it, will be of enormous interest without question. An account of his years in the sport will make fascinating reading.

"his years in the sport" were the most interesting, most remembered, most competitive of all time...

There are so many people who'd look upon 1960 to 1990 as the best years of F1. He has the insights, they will read about it.

#21 fifi

fifi

• 12,423 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 00:28

i'd buy it as i love reading abut the history and it being an autobiography would make it much more interesting

#22 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,812 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 00:39

Sounds like a winner to me. :up:

#23 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,355 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 04:51

:
It was JO that hired me to work at SHADOW f1 , i wonder what he,s got to say about his time
in that establishment.I really nice person,an a hell of a good bloke......

#24 Ralliart

Ralliart

• 669 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 08:15

About a month ago here in California, my friend hipped me to the fact that a program on Jo was in progress, on KMEX. I missed the first 10 minutes I guess. It was a documentary in a way - clumsy recreations of racing incidents with the Rodriguez brothers aside it was undoubtedly very good with him sitting down talking. Maybe someone saw it. Maybe it will be repeated on KMEX. A book - autobiographical or biographical - outstanding!

#25 Bladrian

Bladrian

• 1,491 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 08:50

A book about Jo Ramirez? I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I can think of very few other autobiographies that would appeal to me as much.

#26 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 10:16

Jo, go for it! :up:

Mr. Bush and cohorts have done a lot of damage to the relationship with their European friends and allies, and it will take them a lot of effort to patch things up.
Yet they haven't even stopped damaging - Does it really take that long to wake up???

#27 marhal

marhal

• 129 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 19:15

Please Jo, write the book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :up:

#28 EvilPhil

EvilPhil

• 641 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 19:34

Yeah the Senna v Prost insights would be fantastic

#29 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 11,079 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 19:46

I would certainly be interested in buying it. Jo was in F1 since the '60s , he must have a wealth of knowledge and untold stories.

#30 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 21:19

Originally posted by Bladrian
A book about Jo Ramirez? I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I can think of very few other autobiographies that would appeal to me as much.

I couldn't put it better. I do hope Jo can be persuaded.

#31 Claeys

Claeys

• 23 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 00:30

Maybe we should put together a list with prospective buyers, so he won't have to persuade a publishing company. Please Jo, get to work!

#32 FastMex

FastMex

• 251 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 01:26

While in Mexico, Jo did several VERY interesting interviews on TV after the Mexico City CART GP. He has a wealth of first-hand stories to tell. I can't wait for him to write the darn book! :up:

#33 Joe Fan

Joe Fan

• 5,591 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 07:36

Originally posted by Claeys
Maybe we should put together a list with prospective buyers, so he won't have to persuade a publishing company.

He won't have to do that. I have started my own publishing company and I would be interested publishing his autobiography.

#34 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 09:18

Another definite buy here.

Allen

#35 karlcars

karlcars

• 660 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 09:35

Good stuff, guys! Now that Jo is part of the Atlas F1 family, I'm sure he'll be getting your messages.

Don't want to toot my horn too much, but there are many good quotes fro Jo in my new book about Emerson Fittipaldi, especially about the Copersucar years.

#36 Marcel Schot

Marcel Schot

• 5,459 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 09:49

Jo's autobiography would instantly become a standardwork in any F1 library! There simply is nobody who experienced F1 that upclose and that long. This could give a truly unique insight into F1 and judging from Jo's articles here on Atlas F1, it would be a real pleasure to read.

Sales shouldn't be something to worry about either. If you see that Murray Walker ranks in the top 20 of amazon.co.uk's "sports, hobby and games" books, it's easy to figure Jo would at least match that. Maybe a little less interest from the casual reader, but a lot more from those who are interested in the history of F1.

Go Jo Go!

#37 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 12:16

Originally posted by Marcel Schot
Jo's autobiography would instantly become a standardwork in any F1 library! There simply is nobody who experienced F1 that upclose and that long. This could give a truly unique insight into F1 and judging from Jo's articles here on Atlas F1, it would be a real pleasure to read.

Sales shouldn't be something to worry about either. If you see that Murray Walker ranks in the top 20 of amazon.co.uk's "sports, hobby and games" books, it's easy to figure Jo would at least match that. Maybe a little less interest from the casual reader, but a lot more from those who are interested in the history of F1.

Go Jo Go!

I think you're being wildly optimistic about how many copies a book on Jo would sell. Murray Walker's someone who's known to and loved by the general public. Jo Ramirez is someone who's known to the hard-core racing fans - the fact that we'd all rush out and buy his autobiography doesn't mean that it'll sell well in absolute terms.

I believe Roebuck was working on the book with Jo - and given that it'd be about history, and it's Roebuck working with a friend, I'd hope for something special.

pete

#38 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 13:50

The truth and nothing but the truth, I want to know all about Pedro and Ricardo. I would particularly like to know more about their father.

Jo has had one of the greatest runs in the history of F1, he was there for
the entire meat period of the sport (or whatever term is currently in vogue). I don't want the white wash stuff, but I don't think he has to get
nasty and go totally nude; but some of the more interesting human side of
the personalities never sees the light of day. I would like to see the human side of these people. I think that can be done in a way where no
one really gets hurt. He's a classy guy and I know he will bring honor
on himself and on Mexico.

#39 rolando

rolando

• 151 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 15:41

Definitively many mexican racing enthusiasts will buy a book written by our Jo, we all know that he is a great character in motorsport, he's lived very fascinating eras, he was part of the Rodriguez's legend, he was with Senna, Prost, Hakkinen...

For me it's a must :cool:

Advertisement

#40 Bladrian

Bladrian

• 1,491 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 17:30

Originally posted by karlcars
Good stuff, guys! Now that Jo is part of the Atlas F1 family, I'm sure he'll be getting your messages.

Don't want to toot my horn too much, but there are many good quotes fro Jo in my new book about Emerson Fittipaldi, especially about the Copersucar years.

I've never even SEEN a book about Emmo - at least that's one I'll be able to buy in the not-too-distant future! :clap:

#41 wherezmyz

wherezmyz

• 62 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 17:39

Mr. Ramirez: write it and we will read it! On another note, has anyone heard when Steve Matchett's new book is coming out?

#42 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 17:50

Originally posted by Marcel Schot
Jo's autobiography would instantly become a standardwork in any F1 library! There simply is nobody who experienced F1 that upclose and that long

Alan 'Dobbin' Challis perhaps...or Bob Dance perhaps...or Leo Wybrott perhaps... ???? I am a great admirer of Jo Ramirez but let's retain a sense of proportion? I am confident he does.

DCN

#43 Bladrian

Bladrian

• 1,491 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 17:53

Bob Dance ..... aah, now there's a name to conjure with. Here's a tiny snippet:

http://www.users.glo...2001/bob_dance/

Thanks for reminding me, Doug.

#44 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 18:15

Originally posted by Bladrian

I've never even SEEN a book about Emmo - at least that's one I'll be able to buy in the not-too-distant future! :clap:

To the best of my knowledge there are three - Karl's, an Autocourse Driver Profile (another nicely written and illustrated one) by Gordon Kirby, and Elizabeth Hayward's "Flying On The Ground" which is a 1972 biography that covers a lot of ground and really gets into Emmo's character.

If there are any more I'd love to know about them - Emerson was my favourite driver as a kid (even more so than Hunt the Shunt and Roger Clark, the two automatic choices of playground hero) and he still fascinates me to this day.

pete

#45 Oscar Jack

Oscar Jack

• 236 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 19:26

I would most definitely buy Jo's book - he was involved in so much of the last 35 years of F1, knew so many of the great characters, witnessed at first hand so many of the great events...

Please Jo, write the book and I - and I know many, many of my F1 friends will buy it, read it and treasure it for a long time to come.

:kiss:

#46 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 17:38

Is there any news on Jo's book? Surely I can't have missed it?

It's a 'must-have' for me, and I really do hope it happens.

Twinny :)

#47 Ben

Ben

• 3,186 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 18:38

Would love to read this book if Jo ever writes it.

I first became aware of Jo when I watched the BBC series following the McLaren team through the 1993 season. I still have the whole series on tape, and the final episode where Jo is interviewed about Senna leaving McLaren as the programme follows Senna's race weekend at Adelaide (his final GP win) leaves me in no doubt that his anecdotes would be worth reading.

Ben

#48 FLB

FLB

• 29,862 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 19:39

It would be a definite buy for me too :up: I would especially like to read his opinion on François Cevert (he was a Tyrrell mechanic in the early 1970's) compared to some of the other greats he's worked with (Prost, Senna, the Rodriguez brothers, etc.).

#49 CSGPR

CSGPR

• 221 posts

Posted 12 September 2004 - 16:59

Hi everybody

I would be very interested too :clap: . and please take your time I don't think time matters. And we most certainly won't forget you. :wave:

Best regards

#50 MonzaDriver

MonzaDriver

• 424 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 16:11

First of all,
the very best of my compliments, to the person who host this pages:Don Capps,
for his work, his passion, and the passion of all the TNFer.
It's my very first post, and I would like to underline my pleasure on reading all the topics,
about the various era of motor racing. Thank you all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Are more or less ten years that I dont follow a Grand Prix race,
I really dont like today's tracks, all kartodromes in growing up scale, this F1 cars,
driven by electronics aids, arrogants drivers, managed by some more arrogant people.
I really love car races where you need " art of driving" to win, not the latest version of some
unknown software.
To make a long story short I have this opinion:
If someone of today's F1 drivers, with a time machine, jump back into the 60's,
he must restart to drive from F3 if he want to be able to drive a F1 of this era, on those circuits,
and above all if he wants to stay alive.
This example it's maybe a little too much drastic but I am sure this opinion is shared with many others TNFer.
Anyway this replay it's about Jo Ramirez's book. It will be an enourmous pleasure to read about his years inside motor racing, to read about real drivers, real cars, real tracks.
Do us this favor, tell us about motor racing, when this sport really deserve the passion of a lot of people all around the world.

MonzaDriver.