Photo

Fisi better than Trulli. All know, except Flavio.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

• 16,216 posts

Posted 10 February 2002 - 12:10

From formula1.com:
Giancarlo Fisichella was honoured by the Automobile Club of Italy on Friday, when he was named Best Italian Driver. He beat the likes of Jarno Trulli to the award.

Present at the ceremony were important guests including the president of the Automobile Club of Italy, Franco Lucchesi, and chief executive of Fiat, Paolo Cantarella.

Fisichella is currently testing in the new Jordan EJ12, in order to take on the Australian GP with the Irish team on March 3rd.

He has long been regarded as an outstanding talent, even though he is yet to win a Grand Prix, and now has the job of guiding Jordan back to success.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think it is the fourth of fifth year in a row Fisi gets that award. Sure hope that mr Cantarella can convince Montezemolo to give Fisi a shot in the Ferrari soon. I just wish Flavio had as much sense as this jury... :mad:

Advertisement

#2 tifoso

tifoso

• 10,901 posts

Posted 10 February 2002 - 17:58

I never thought Flavio's decision had anything to do with talent. It was my understanding, from reading articles on the Fisichella-Trulli switch, it had more yo do with money. Fisichella's contract called for a big salary increase if he stayed with Renault this year. Flavio probably thinks he's getting a slightly less talented driver for a lot less money...money that could be better spent some place else.

#3 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

• 16,216 posts

Posted 10 February 2002 - 18:52

Fisi wanted a long-term deal but Flavio refused to offer anything else than one year with relatively low salary. I think Fisi could have settled on much lower yearly payment if it had been a multi year deal. I am very thankfull that EJ snapped up Fisi, otherwise we had been forced to see Fisi in an Arrows.

#4 tifoso

tifoso

• 10,901 posts

Posted 10 February 2002 - 19:47

Ghostrider, it looks like we're both right. From Atlas F1 News on August 16, 2001, Fisichella Free to Leave Benetton:

He [Matteucci, Fisichella's manager] was not surprised that Renault had not renewed Fisichella's contract because he said it was one negotiated years ago with a very high salary agreed for the final year [2002]. "The last one was supposed to have an enormous salary, something unbelievable."

Matteucci said Renault were offering a one-year contract while Jordan, who are also interested in the Italian, had offered three.

It was my understanding that a pre-condition of the one-year deal Renault offered was a significant salary reduction because the previous contract called for a very high salary in 2002. I still think it was more about money than it was about talent.

#5 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

• 16,216 posts

Posted 10 February 2002 - 19:54

Originally posted by tifoso
I still think it was more about money than it was about talent.

Yes. And the fact that Flavio is Trulli's manager. I hope Flavio does not screw up Trulli as well.

#6 tifoso

tifoso

• 10,901 posts

Posted 10 February 2002 - 19:58

Originally posted by Ghostrider
I hope Flavio does not screw up Trulli as well.

I've always wondered why drivers would want to have managers who have divided interests. How can a F1 team manager represent a driver in the best possible manner? When he does something, in who's interests is he acting? The driver's or the team's?

#7 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

• 16,216 posts

Posted 10 February 2002 - 20:12

Originally posted by tifoso
I've always wondered why drivers would want to have managers who have divided interests. How can a F1 team manager represent a driver in the best possible manner? When he does something, in who's interests is he acting? The driver's or the team's?

Fisi has said in recent interviews that he and Flavio are still friends, but that their working relationship were sometimes very strained. Fisi said that during race weekends Flavio only thinks about his business and is very tough and hard to work with. Apart from the race weekends though, he is very friendly and generous. I am glad Fisi does not have to deal with that this year.

#8 BRG

BRG

• 25,900 posts

Posted 11 February 2002 - 14:14

Originally posted by Ghostrider
Giancarlo Fisichella was......named Best Italian Driver. ....he is yet to win a Grand Prix

Isn't this a very sad state of affairs for Italy - the country of Ascari, Farina, Scarfiotti, Baghetti, De Angelis (add your own favourite great Italian driver). For the last four years, their "best" representative is the lacklustre (and lack-results) Fisichella. What happened to the days of Brambilla and Modena, Nannini and Caffi, when there were more Italians in F1 than any other nationality?

#9 Raemius

Raemius

• 318 posts

Posted 11 February 2002 - 14:27

Originally posted by BRG
Isn't this a very sad state of affairs for Italy - the country of Ascari, Farina, Scarfiotti, Baghetti, De Angelis (add your own favourite great Italian driver). For the last four years, their "best" representative is the lacklustre (and lack-results) Fisichella. What happened to the days of Brambilla and Modena, Nannini and Caffi, when there were more Italians in F1 than any other nationality?

Stop taking the piss !!! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

#10 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

• 16,216 posts

Posted 11 February 2002 - 15:16

Originally posted by BRG

As usual BRG, you are very positive and generous in your comments. :wave:

Keep that positive tune, you will need it during the season. DC and JB are in for a tough ride. :up:

#11 fissijo

fissijo

• 2,284 posts

Posted 11 February 2002 - 20:21

Originally posted by BRG
(add your own favourite great Italian driver)

Wellllllllll THAT would be Fisi ;)

#12 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 17,023 posts

Posted 11 February 2002 - 20:25

If Fisi keeps showing his talent, yet again in 2002, sooner or later, someone will need those talents, hopefully it should be a top team. Anything can happen in formula one and it usually does. :up: :smoking: :up:

#13 baddog

baddog

• 29,695 posts

Posted 11 February 2002 - 20:29

Originally posted by BRG

obviously one must disgregard the greats of another era, but of italian drivers in the last 20 years fisi may well be the most talented

Shaun

#14 Peeko

Peeko

• 3,853 posts

Posted 11 February 2002 - 20:31

BRG, even you should know by know that little matters to Italians in F1 other than Ferrari. If Fisi or Trulli were leading the Italian GP and somehow lost the lead to a Ferrari, the cheers would drown out the engines. I think this happened to Patrese one year.

3 constructors title in a row.
2 drivers titles in a row.
And a very promising challenger to carry the torch.

It is anything BUT a sad state of affairs for Italy.