Photo

The Intercontinental Formula Championship of 1961

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Joe Fan

Joe Fan

• 5,591 posts

Posted 12 February 2002 - 08:48

Does anyone know much about this series? I came across a race report for the Guards Trophy race in 1961 and assumed that it was your typical non-championship F1 race but NOooooo! It supposedly was the second event counting towards the 1961 Intercontinental Formula Championship. What they hey? What was this series all about and who won the drivers (if there was one) and Constructors Championship? Interesting to note that Dan Gurney and Masten Gregory were both entered in this Guards Trophy race in UDT streamlined Lotuses. I didn't know these existed.

Advertisement

#2 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,322 posts

Posted 12 February 2002 - 09:25

I believe (faulty memory at work here....) that the Intercontinental Series arose when the World Championship switched to F2 rules. The British manufacturers weren't happy, so set up the Intercontinental Series to cater for their F1 machines.

#3 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,274 posts

Posted 12 February 2002 - 09:53

Originally posted by Joe Fan
Does anyone know much about this series? I came across a race report for the Guards Trophy race in 1961 and assumed that it was your typical non-championship F1 race but NOooooo! It supposedly was the second event counting towards the 1961 Intercontinental Formula Championship. What they hey? What was this series all about and who won the drivers (if there was one) and Constructors Championship? Interesting to note that Dan Gurney and Masten Gregory were both entered in this Guards Trophy race in UDT streamlined Lotuses. I didn't know these existed.

Darren is right, the Intercontinental Championship was set up by British teams unhappy with the change from the 2.5 liter engine formula for F1 following the 1960 season.

There only were a few races. It was very hard to find info on them for many years (at least in the states :) ). Somewhere around here I have results, but if someone else gets to them before that...by all means feel free to post.

Chuck Daigh also drove one of the Scarabs in at least one Intercontinental round.

Jim Thurman

#4 Joe Fan

Joe Fan

• 5,591 posts

Posted 12 February 2002 - 10:11

Thanks for the responses so far. I show that the first race was in May 1961 with Stirling Moss winning the event in a Rob Walker Cooper-Climax. The second event was August 7th 1961 at Brands Hatch for the Guards Trophy race. Jack Brabham won the event in Climax-powered Cooper. The remaining finishing order was: Jim Clark (Lotus-Climax) second, G. Hill (BRM) third, McLaren (Cooper-Climax) fourth, Salvadori (Cooper-Climax) fifth, A. Davidson (Aston-Martin DBR4/300)sixth and L. Bandini (Centro Sud Maserati) seventh. If I happen to stumble on more, I will post it here in case someone wants to compile this info but I know that I won't be able to find drivers or constructors championship standings. So if anyone has the info, I would be grateful to see it.

#5 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,322 posts

Posted 12 February 2002 - 10:20

Here are some further Intercontinental results:-

Lombank Trophy

26 March 1961, Snetterton, England, 37 laps

Lap Distance=2.71 miles. Race Distance=100.27 miles.

1 Jack Brabham				  Cooper-Climax T53 'FII-5-60'	  59m31.6, 102.67mph*

2 Cliff Allison				 Lotus-Climax 18 '915'		   1h00m53.2*

3 John Surtees				  Cooper-Climax T53P 'F1-1-61'	36 laps

4 Henry Taylor				  Lotus-Climax 18 '916'		   36 laps

5 Roy Salvadori				 Cooper-Climax T53P 'F1-2-61'	35 laps

6 Jim Clark					 Lotus-Climax 18 '371'		   35 laps

7 Tim Parnell				   Lotus-Climax 18 '904'		   34 laps

8 Shane Summers				 Cooper-Climax T53P 'F1-8-61'	32 laps

R Brian Naylor				  JBW-Maserati

R Innes Ireland				 Lotus-Climax 18				 15 laps/gearbox

N.B. Combined InterContinental (up to 3 litres) and 1.5 litre F1 race.

* InterContinental class

Fastest Lap: Innes Ireland (Lotus-Climax 18 '374'), 1:33.6, 104.23mph (InterContinental class)

Pole Position: Innes Ireland (Lotus-Climax 18), 1:34.4

John Surtees (Cooper-Climax T53P), 1:38.2 (F1 Class)

1961 - British Empire Trophy
1961 IC Silverstone Stirling Moss Cooper T53-Climax 104.580

#6 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,863 posts

Posted 12 February 2002 - 14:04

Lavant Cup, Goodwood

1 S Moss (Cooper-Climax) 90.47mph
2 B McLaren (Cooper-Climax)
3 G Hill (BRM)

International Trophy, Silverstone

1 S Moss (Cooper-Climax) 87.04mph
2 J Brabham (Cooper-Climax)
3 R Salvadori (Cooper-Climax)

Daigh raced the Scarab, fitted with a 3 litre engine, at Goodwood and twice at Silverstone. We have discussed that before, I think .... :)

#7 Stefan Ornerdal

Stefan Ornerdal

• 578 posts

Posted 12 February 2002 - 14:05

The Formula was planned to have a Constructors Championship with races in Europe and the USA, but there was only 5 races in the UK:

March, 25 - Lombank Trophy, Snetterton
April, 3 - Lavant Cup, Goodwood
May, 6 - International Tropy, Silverstone
July, 8 - British Empire Trophy, Silverstone
August, 7 - Guards Trophy, Brands Hatch

Result, Lavant Cup, 21 laps
1. #6 - Stirling Moss - R.R.C. Walker - Cooper T53
2. #14 - Bruce McLaren - C.T. Atkins - Cooper T53
3. #4 - Graham Hill - Owen Racing Organisation - BRM P48
4. #10 - John Surtees - Yeoman Credit Racing Team - Cooper T53
5. #8 - Roy Salvadori - Yeoman Credit Racing Team - Lotus 18
6. #2 - Tony Brooks - Owen Racing Organisation - BRM P48

Other starters:
#12 - Chuck Daigh - Reventlow Automobiles Inc - RAI Scarab. Engine: Meyer-Drake 4-cyl 2.9 litres.
#16 - Geoff Richardson - G.N. Richardson - Cooper RRA-Alta
#18 - Dan Gurney - Mrs. Louise Bryden-Brown - Lotus 18

Stefan

#8 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 12 February 2002 - 14:09

Actually, I did take a fairly good look at the I-C Formula when I did the 1961 series of articles in RVM (shameless plug). There was no "championship" that I could discern, although that never seems to deter anyone from doing so retroactively I imagine. I have all the results for the I-C rounds here somewhere. Also, don't forget that until Alec Ulman dropped his option on the USGP, that the October event in Watkins Glen was scheduled to be an I-C event.

#9 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 12 February 2002 - 15:22

A poor little runt of of a formula the ICF may have been, but it resulted in some notable historical curiosities. If I may:

:) It may as well have been called Formula Moss. The Golden Boy won 4 of the 5 events, retiring (in the lead) at Brands in August with a broken gearbox.
:clap: The International Trophy at Silverstone was arguably one of Moss's finest races. Over 80 soaking wet laps, he lapped the field.
:up: In what must have been decidely uncomfortable conditions (at Silverstone), Chuck Daigh kept the Scarab on the island for the whole race and finished a most creditable seventh.
: The ICF saw the one and only appearance of the rear engined Vanwall.
:yawn: In Surtees' hands, it ran (amazingly) in second at Silverstone before getting away from Surtees at Abbey, and finally finishing fifth.
:eek: Jack Brabham even tested the Vanwall in the week prior to the British Empire Trophy (what an embarrassing name) at Silverstone. I bet no-one's got a picture of that! (He declined to race it, on the grounds that the handling was too awful ... which seems to make Surtees' efforts in the rain at Silverstone appear even more heroic!)
:( The Ferguson made a V-16 BRM-esque appearance at Brands (a week prior to its the British GP at Aintree) in which it stopped yards after the start with the gear selectors failing.
:confused: When Brabham inherited his win at Brands in August, it was (I think) his only single seater win of 1961.

Vanwall

#10 Wolf

Wolf

• 7,883 posts

Posted 12 February 2002 - 15:26

Well, I knew background behing Int.C., and was meaning to ask about if for a while now...

Buuut, Moss has few races more listed as Int.C. in his appendix to 'All But My Life'. Lemme see,

1. New Zealand Grand Prix; Jan. 7; Ardmore; (15+75) laps; Moss won his heat (20:16.3) and ret. on lap 30 (halfshaft) in Lotus
2. Lady Wigram Trophy; Jan. 21; Wigram Circuit; 47 laps*; Moss was 2nd (1:18:7) despite two shunts in Lotus; * shortened by 50mi because of rain
3. Warwick Farm International; Jan. 29; Warwick Farm; 45 laps; Moss was 1st (1:16:33.9) with FL (80.68mph) in Lotus
4. Lavant Cup; April 3; Goodwood; 21 laps; Moss was 1st (33:25.6) in Cooper
5. International Trophy Race; May 6; Silverstone; 80 laps; Moss was 1st (2:41:19.2) with FL (93.75mph) in Cooper
6. Empire Trophy; July 8; Silverstone; 52 laps; Moss was 1st (1:27:19.2) with FL (86.40mph) in Cooper
7. Guards Trophy; Aug. 7; Brands Hatch; 76 laps; Moss retired on lap 24 (gearbox) in Cooper

I do not know whether all this races were part of C'ship (maybe there were non-c'ship Intercontinental Formula races :lol: ), or if there were others- I only have listed the ones Moss took part in.

#11 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 12 February 2002 - 16:23

6 events were listed for the Intercontinental Cup on the 1961 FIA international calendar:
May Silverstone -Daily Express International Trophy-held as above.
May 30-Indy 500-held but not for ICF-continuing tradition-1950-60!
Jun-Monza Lottery GP-cancelled
Aug- Brands Hatch-Guards Trophy-held as above.
Sep-Turin-The Grand Prix of the Century-cancelled
Oct- Watkins Glen GP-replaced by US F1 GP after Riverside withdrew from that.

As only 3 events were held,and the rules required a minimum of 5,the championship was declared null & void. The italian races were either cancelled because Ferrari decided not to support the formula or v.v.
Wolf: The New Zealand races were actually F.Libre.

#12 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,507 posts

Posted 12 February 2002 - 20:57

The International Trophy at Silverstone was arguably one of Moss's finest races. Over 80 soaking wet laps, he lapped the field.

Even less than that. He took the lead on lap 23 and had lapped the field by lap 54. It was this race that caused Brabham to say, "I'd be upset if he was human". Moss was in good form at the time; the week before he had a magnificent race in the Targa Florio, the week after, that win at Monaco.

Jack Brabham even tested the Vanwall in the week prior to the British Empire Trophy (what an embarrassing name) at Silverstone. I bet no-one's got a picture of that! (He declined to race it, on the grounds that the handling was too awful ...

Ron Tauranac, who was in Britain designing the MRD was asked to do some rigidity testing of the Vanwall chassis. He did this by simply screwing it to the wall and trying to bend it with levers. He found it to be not very rigid at all.

The Ferguson made a V-16 BRM-esque appearance at Brands (a week prior to its the British GP at Aintree) in which it stopped yards after the start with the gear selectors failing.

Silverstone of course, and it managed a couple of laps.

#13 Joe Fan

Joe Fan

• 5,591 posts

Posted 12 February 2002 - 22:54

Originally posted by Rob29
6 events were listed for the Intercontinental Cup on the 1961 FIA international calendar:
May Silverstone -Daily Express International Trophy-held as above.
May 30-Indy 500-held but not for ICF-continuing tradition-1950-60!
Jun-Monza Lottery GP-cancelled
Aug- Brands Hatch-Guards Trophy-held as above.
Sep-Turin-The Grand Prix of the Century-cancelled
Oct- Watkins Glen GP-replaced by US F1 GP after Riverside withdrew from that.

As only 3 events were held,and the rules required a minimum of 5,the championship was declared null & void. The italian races were either cancelled because Ferrari decided not to support the formula or v.v.
Wolf: The New Zealand races were actually F.Libre.

This info seems to fit the info I have since the race report of the Guards Trophy race states that this it was the second of the ICF series. Why doesn't this info jive with everyone elses info which believes that the the 1961 Lombank Trophy and the Lavant Cup races were ICF races. Anybody got an explanation? :confused: The deeper and deeper I get into motorsport research, the more errors and inconsistencies I find. It makes writing a motorbook a big hassle as you feel that you have to get supporting evidence for everything you write just to be sure. Sometimes this isn't always easy or possible.

#14 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 12 February 2002 - 23:20

Originally posted by Roger Clark
Silverstone of course, and it managed a couple of laps.

Mea Culpa re. the location. The head said Silverstone, the fingers tapped out Brands. BUT .... and here I will confess I'm going from a distant memory ... I thought Jack Fairman took to the grass immediately after the start to avoid someone and the resultant bumping threw the gear selectors into a state of confusion.

Vanwall

#15 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,863 posts

Posted 12 February 2002 - 23:30

The International Trophy (234 miles) and Guards Trophy (201 miles) were Grand Prix length. As Darren posted above, the Lombank Trophy was just 100 miles - the Lavant was a typical Goodwood 50-miler. Presumably the Monza, Turin and Watkins Glen races were intended as full GP length as well.

In addition, perhaps the shorter races were held under National rather than International regulations - maybe in hope of attracting larger fields including some Formule Libre single-seaters.

#16 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,507 posts

Posted 12 February 2002 - 23:52

From Motor Racing November 1960

At a joint meeting with members of the CSI undr president A Perouse it was agreed that the 1961 World's Championship of Drivers would be decided on formula One races, but tat in addition there would be an Inter-Continental Formula with separate trophies for drivers and manufacturers. Unexpectedly it was agreed without dispute that this formula would be for unsuercharged cars running on commercial fuel with an engine capcity not exceeding 3000 cc and not less than 2000cc. THere would be no other restrictions imposed in 1961, and if this Formula gains support next year the CSI is favourably disposed to having hte 1962 World Championship based upon races to both F1 and the Inter-Continantal Formula. Following Jack Brabham's visit to Indianapolis, the Americans showed more enthusiasm for the idea of 3-litre cars than ever before, and suceeded in a plea that Indianapolis and its current regulations should count in the Inter-Continental series in 1961 so as to give time and further encouragment to United States car owners to develop 3-litre machines.

Not so happy was the eventual list of Inter-continental races, which the manufacturers stated must total not less than six. The list drawn up in Paris consisted of Silverstone 6 May, Indianapolis 30 May, Monza 29 June, Turin 17 September and Watkins Glen 8 October, but now that the Formula has been finalised, it is expeced that two or three more races will be nominated during the next few weeks.

So that all worked as planned!

#17 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,507 posts

Posted 13 February 2002 - 00:01

Originally posted by Vanwall

Mea Culpa re. the location. The head said Silverstone, the fingers tapped out Brands. BUT .... and here I will confess I'm going from a distant memory ... I thought Jack Fairman took to the grass immediately after the start to avoid someone and the resultant bumping threw the gear selectors into a state of confusion.

Vanwall

He did, and it was Salvadori. However, Fairman continued and passed five cars on the first lap. During practice there had been a lot of trouble with the brakes and the drivers had had to use the gearbox for a number of emrgency stops. THese had put a strain on the shafts and caused the race failure.

Another interesting point about the Inter-Continental formula races is why Moss always drove a Cooper rather than the Lotus he favoured for Formula 1. Perhaps it was just to show that he could win in anything.

#18 Wolf

Wolf

• 7,883 posts

Posted 13 February 2002 - 00:17

Roger, the same source has his ratio 7:5 in favour of Lotus in previous season. Admiteddly, the first five races were in a Cooper, the latter seven in Lotus.

#19 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 13 February 2002 - 00:20

Perhaps it was just to show that he could win in anything.

Well he just about could!!

Except the wretched ERA G type :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Advertisement

#20 Wolf

Wolf

• 7,883 posts

Posted 13 February 2002 - 00:31

And P15... :rotfl:

I gues he never forgave Bourne ppl for that one. BTW, how did Fangio report of the car?

#21 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 13 February 2002 - 04:06

The ICF was discussed quite a bit in the US monthly magazines and there was much support spoken for the ICF, but then when 1962 dawned.....

From what I recall, there was quite a bit of discussion about the formula and the CSI passed out some new regs in the latter part of 1961. In the US this caused some hope since it would have allowed the use of stockblock/pushrod engines from the BOP cars of the period. And there was even hope that the engines would go to 366 cubic inch stock blocks. And when 1962 and then 1963 dawned....

#22 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 13 February 2002 - 07:18

Originally posted by Joe Fan

the race report of the Guards Trophy race states that it was the second of the ICF series. Why doesn't this info jive with everyone elses info which believes that the the 1961 Lombank Trophy and the Lavant Cup races were ICF races. Anybody got an explanation?

There's no conflict here, Joe. The Snetterton and Goodwood races were ICF events, but not part of the championship series listed elsewhere on this thread

#23 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 13 February 2002 - 08:59

The British Empire Trophy at Silverstone was also non-championship-150mls.I still remrmber the headline of the 'Motor Sport' report of this event-The Decline and Fall of the British Empire.It was not held again for many years,but is now a historic meeting.
To complete this subject;for 1962 a revised ICF was anounced by the FIA with a 5 litre stock block class added,but no dates . A couple of British drivers stuffed big V8s in their old F2 cars,but had to made do with clubbie Libre races until the idea was revived as FA & F5000 a few years later.

#24 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 13 February 2002 - 21:58

Originally posted by Vanwall
:confused: When Brabham inherited his win at Brands in August, it was (I think) his only single seater win of 1961.

Vanwall

Jan 7: New Zealand GP
Jan 21: Lady Wigram Trophy
Mar 26: Lombank Trophy
Apr 9: GP de Bruxelles
Apr 22: Aintree 200
Aug 7: Guards Trophy

I make that six single-seater wins for Black Jack in '61!;)

#25 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,863 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 10:34

From Motor Racing November 1960

At a joint meeting with members of the CSI undr president A Perouse it was agreed that the 1961 World's Championship of Drivers would be decided on formula One races, but tat in addition there would be an Inter-Continental Formula with separate trophies for drivers and manufacturers. Unexpectedly it was agreed without dispute that this formula would be for unsuercharged cars running on commercial fuel with an engine capcity not exceeding 3000 cc and not less than 2000cc. THere would be no other restrictions imposed in 1961, and if this Formula gains support next year the CSI is favourably disposed to having hte 1962 World Championship based upon races to both F1 and the Inter-Continantal Formula. Following Jack Brabham's visit to Indianapolis, the Americans showed more enthusiasm for the idea of 3-litre cars than ever before, and suceeded in a plea that Indianapolis and its current regulations should count in the Inter-Continental series in 1961 so as to give time and further encouragment to United States car owners to develop 3-litre machines.

Not so happy was the eventual list of Inter-continental races, which the manufacturers stated must total not less than six. The list drawn up in Paris consisted of Silverstone 6 May, Indianapolis 30 May, Monza 29 June, Turin 17 September and Watkins Glen 8 October, but now that the Formula has been finalised, it is expeced that two or three more races will be nominated during the next few weeks.

So that all worked as planned!

I was very surprised to find that the ICF was actually announced in principle by M. Pérouse in London in 1958, at the same time as the new Formula 1 for 1961. It was supposed to be discussed by a joint US/British/Italian committee but was "left somewhat vague" in the announcement. Reading between the lines, this may have been a last-minute addition - Pérouse's surprise announcement of the new formula had been greeted by booing and cries of "Shame!" by the assembled - mainly British - audience at the RAC. Another clue might be that Johnny Lurani "loudly protested that Italy had not voted for the new Formula."

Quotes from Rodney Walkerley's "Brooklands to Goodwood" p209

#26 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 12:09

I was very surprised to find that the ICF was actually announced in principle by M. Pérouse in London in 1958, at the same time as the new Formula 1 for 1961.

That is perhaps one interpretation, but I had the sensing that the meeting was held in the Fall of 1960 given that the lack any mention of the ICF prior to that time.

Given the general uproar and fervent jingoism that the October 1958 anouncement created/ unleashed, it seems at odds with what might/would have been the case had M. Pérouse also brought up the ICF proposal at the same time.

The ICF was adopted by the USAC as one of the categories or classes that promoters could use for rounds in the USAC Road racing Championship in 1962 -- Bossier City and IRP being two of the more notable instances that the class was included for the events counting towards the RRC. I haven't seen any mention of this in the tread to this point unless I just overlooked it.

#27 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,863 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 12:28

The tone of Walkerley's text leads me to think that the CSI had had some sort of disagreement over this and that the quote from Lurani was designed to highlight that. Obviously, they would have expected some opposition from the British, but the fact that the Italians didn't vote for it is something of a surprise (to me anyway ;) ) My interpretation would therefore be that the ICF was something cooked up very quickly to try to limit the damage. Walkerley also links it to the Race of Two Worlds but gives no evidence apart from the American involvement in the proposed committee: "it was suggested there might be a series of up to eight races on suitable high-speed circuits" in addition (?) to road races in all three countries.

#28 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 02:07

Originally posted by Don Capps
From what I recall, there was quite a bit of discussion about the formula and the CSI passed out some new regs in the latter part of 1961. In the US this caused some hope since it would have allowed the use of stockblock/pushrod engines from the BOP cars of the period.

As I recall, Reventlow Automobiles Inc. built the one-off rear engine Scarab formula car because the rules supposedly allowed the use of push rod US V-8s. The car was designed to use an aluminum Buick V-8, recently introduced. (An aside: this engine was around for a long, long time and was the basis for the Rover V-8). However, the rules were changed (?) to not only specify stock blocks, but also stock heads. RAI quickly realized that they were through; without being able to modify the head, there was no point as the power would not be there. So RAI canned the project and raced the car but once, in Australia in early 1962 at Sandown Park (?) with Daigh driving. It finished fourth behind three Climax four cylinder powered cars. The car then had a very mysterious life and I understand that it was owned by the late Ali Lugo for a while, and is now in the possession of some chap on the US west coast, appearing at the occasional vintage event.
Tom
(feel free to correct this memory!)

#29 Jesper O. Hansen

Jesper O. Hansen

• 582 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 06:27

Just heard of the Intercontinental Formula, while having a browse through the 1961 Formula 1 season. Thanks to this thread I already fell a lot more informed about the class, but why the 3-litre engine limit rather than the 2.5 of the 1960 Formula 1? As such could it be seen as a precurser, a forerunner of the 1966 Formula 1 regulations? The connections of the Intercontinental formula to the American Indy scene and to the future Formula A/5000 sounds interesting too.

Jesper

#30 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,863 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 09:37

There's a bit more in this thread, Jesper:

http://forums.autosp...;hl=Formula 366

#31 Jesper O. Hansen

Jesper O. Hansen

• 582 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 10:07

Thank you for the link, Vitesse2. There were indeed some more info to be found..

..but why the 3-litre limit on engines?

Edit: just noticed that the World Sports Prototypes were running to a 3-litre maximum capacity during 1958-1961. Would this have influenced the same 3-litre size for Formula Intercontinental?

Jesper

Edited by Jesper O. Hansen, 28 May 2011 - 10:19.

#32 Bauble

Bauble

• 1,040 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 10:43

I have just found this thread and I can well remember the Intercontinental Formula set up in opposition to the FIA Formula 1 Championship over the change of regulations that was thougnt (suprise, suprise) to favour Ferrari. A quick glance at the World Champion race results for 1961 adds some substance to that theory.

With regard to Moss' wet win at Silverstone, I once asked him what he considered his finest ever race and he instantly recalled that performance, he is obviously very proud of that result.

Edited by Bauble, 28 May 2011 - 10:49.

#33 Jesper O. Hansen

Jesper O. Hansen

• 582 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 14:44

Recently seen live footage of that wet '61 Silverstone International Trophy - Formula Incontinence? - and to win by a lap in a very competitive field does say something about the abilities of Moss. But what about those of John Surtess and the rear engined Vanwall? In his early days on four wheels he raced a rare car amongst the front runners it seems, to finish fifth among seven classified finishers.

Regarding the introduction of the 1.5 F1 cars for 1961, I believe these rules were originally "designed" to suit the British teams. This mostly from what I have read and how my dad remembered it. The fact that Ferrari dominated the first year were mainly down to the fact that they were the only team to work towards the opening 1961 race AND being ready at the same time.

Jesper

#34 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 19:29

Regarding the introduction of the 1.5 F1 cars for 1961, I believe these rules were originally "designed" to suit the British teams. This mostly from what I have read and how my dad remembered it. The fact that Ferrari dominated the first year were mainly down to the fact that they were the only team to work towards the opening 1961 race AND being ready at the same time.

The 1.5 rules might have been designed to suit the British teams, but the teams certainly didn't appreciate them. I'll try to find some references, but in the meantime just say there was an outcry from the British teams, who not only threatened to boycott the new F1, but promoted an alternative formula (Intercontinental) more acceptable to them

It was their holding out - the engine-makers rather than the teams - in support for Intercontinental that left them unready when they realised their battle was lost, and Ferrari especially, but also Porsche, were able to set the pace in 1961 F1

If I'm looking for references I'll also see if I can find why 3.0 litres was agreed for Intercontinental (I can't remember...)

#35 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,400 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 21:26

I was at the Guards Trophy Race, sitting up in a tree above Hawthorns, clicking away with my modified Brownie 127; I'm sure I have some iffy photos somewhere.

Most of the engines were 2.7 litre FPFs with the odd 3 litre Maserati engine thrown in. As usual everybody agreed that they didn't want a 1.5 litre F1, except Ferrari, so the FIA did what Ferrari wanted - Plus ca change.....

#36 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 21:52

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by David McKinney, 28 May 2011 - 21:54.

#37 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,992 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 21:55

The 1.5 rules might have been designed to suit the British teams, but the teams certainly didn't appreciate them. I'll try to find some references, but in the meantime just say there was an outcry from the British teams, who not only threatened to boycott the new F1, but promoted an alternative formula (Intercontinental) more acceptable to them

Mike Hawthorn's Champion Year has something along the lines of the rule change being a joke and hugely opposed by the RAC, if I remember correctly.

#38 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 21:57

From memory the majority of the engines used were in fact 2.5-litre ex-F1 units from Climax and BRM with a smattering of larger Indy-style FPFs and Maserati, Aston, Scarab etc mixed in. I traced the ICF story quite closely in BRM V2, but I have just put my feet up after a very long day's work...

DCN

#39 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 22:00

From memory the majority of the engines used were in fact 2.5-litre ex-F1 units from Climax and BRM with a smattering of larger Indy-style FPFs and Maserati, Aston, Scarab etc mixed in. I traced the ICF story quite closely in BRM V2, but I have just put my feet up after a very long day's work... Didn't Mr Ferrari announce an ICF variant of the Sharknose during one of his annual press conferences?

DCN

Advertisement

#40 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 22:00

From memory the majority of the engines used were in fact 2.5-litre ex-F1 FPF units from Climax and the BRM Type 25 plus a smattering of larger Indy-style FPFs and Maserati, Aston, Scarab etc mixed in. I traced the ICF story quite closely in BRM V2, but I have just put my feet up after a very long day's work... Didn't Mr Ferrari announce an ICF variant of the Sharknose during one of his annual press conferences?

DCN

Edited by Doug Nye, 28 May 2011 - 22:02.

#41 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 05:17

From memory the majority of the engines used were in fact 2.5-litre ex-F1 FPF units from Climax and the BRM Type 25 plus a smattering of larger Indy-style FPFs and Maserati, Aston, Scarab etc mixed in.

Yes, except no 2.7 FPFs

#42 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,507 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:38

And the Vanwall, of course.

I think that the reason for the 3 litre limit was the hope the the Americans would adopt a similar size. The name of the formula may contain a clue.

#43 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,872 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 11:22

There is 27 listed entries in the Silverstone May 5th, 1961 programme , plus 2 reserve cars (Walker's double entries). This being the first round of the Intercontinental Formula Championship.

As previously mentioned most entries were 2.5 litre cars for this shortened championship, from either BRM, Cooper or Lotus breeding.
The following are the exceptions, from the Silverstone entries -
#15 Lorenzo Bandini Cooper-Maserati / Scuderia Centro-Sud 2700
#16 Massimo Natali Cooper-Maserati / Scuderia Centro-Sud 2700
#17 Chuck Daigh Scarab / Reventlow Automobiles Inc 2900
#18 Giulio Cadianca Cooper-Ferrari / Scuderia Castelotti 2999
#24 Tony Marsh Cooper (Maserati) / Fred Tuck 2700
#28 John Surtees Vanwall / G A Vandervell 2600

I believe #18 was a DNS, with Surtees running of the rear engine Vanwall a last minute thing (after Brabham declined). JS was originally entered to run a Yeoman Credit Cooper

Stephen

#44 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 21:44

I believe #18 was a DNS, with Surtees running of the rear engine Vanwall a last minute thing (after Brabham declined). JS was originally entered to run a Yeoman Credit Cooper

Stephen

John's recall is that Mr Vandervell went ahead with building the rear-engined Vanwall specifically for him - he regards it still as 'my car'. First I have heard of it having been offered to Jack Brabham. He certainly did not need it.

DCN

#45 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,507 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 22:27

John's recall is that Mr Vandervell went ahead with building the rear-engined Vanwall specifically for him - he regards it still as 'my car'. First I have heard of it having been offered to Jack Brabham. He certainly did not need it.

DCN

According to his column in Motor Racing, Brabham tried the car on the Thursday before the British Empire Trophy, Surtees having already decided not to race it again. Brabham lapped about three seconds slower than in the Cooper. He could have gone faster but felt that work was needed on the suspension before it could be competitive.

Edited by Roger Clark, 01 June 2011 - 22:29.