Photo

Any reversed racing tracks?

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#1 josh.lintz

josh.lintz

• 149 posts

Posted 24 February 2002 - 15:29

This is a question I have long wanted to ask, but could find few answers. Have there ever been any racing tracks that were run in both clockwise and counter-clockwise directions?

So far, I only know of one course run in "both directions", and that is the Miami Grand Prix circuit. It was a street course that was run one way from 1983-94 for sports cars, and then reversed in its last iteration as an Indycar circuit. The reason for the reversal was the nearly blind (and very tight) entry into the original first turn. Thus, the old 180-degree final turn (not quite a hairpin, but not the Peralta either) became the new first bend because it was safer for open-wheeled racing.

Funny how it's the "hometown" track for me, yet I've never heard of any other "reversed" tracks in my 16-year interest in motorsports...certainly someone in the TNF has a few that I never knew about!

Advertisement

#2 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,944 posts

Posted 24 February 2002 - 15:53

Indy, obviously.

The Monza banking went different ways for F1 and Two Worlds races.

Brands used to be run anti-clockwise for the bikers.

Long Beach may have been reversed for Indycar - I cannot now remember.

#3 Geza Sury

Geza Sury

• 942 posts

Posted 24 February 2002 - 16:17

IIRC the current Albert Park circuit in Melbourne was originally an anticlockwise one, not like today. Can anybody confirm this?

#4 josh.lintz

josh.lintz

• 149 posts

Posted 24 February 2002 - 17:06

Originally posted by ensign14
Indy, obviously.

Well, I was going for the entire circuit in reverse.

#5 Marcor

Marcor

• 1,198 posts

Posted 24 February 2002 - 17:14

Not really a track, but the speed records attempts had to be made in both direction...

#6 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 24 February 2002 - 17:24

ensign14:
Cars also raced the 'wrong' way at Brands for the first few years
Geza Sury:
The current Albert Park is not the same one as the old original - but parts are and, yes, it now goes the other way around from the original

The Pukekohe circuit in New Zealand was tried anti-clockwise (instead of the usual clockwise) for a national meeting in April 1966. This turned the uphill 90º corner known at that time as Rothmans into a blind downhill one - a bit like Paddock Hill Bend at Brands but a hell of a lot faster. I don't think a meeting was run in that configuration again.

#7 Terry O'Neil

Terry O'Neil

• 81 posts

Posted 24 February 2002 - 17:51

Hi everyone,

The Oakes Field course at Nassau was run counter clockwise in 1957, then up to 1966 was run in a clockwise direction, for spectator safety reasons.

Terry.

#8 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,506 posts

Posted 24 February 2002 - 19:02

Originally posted by ensign14

Brands used to be run anti-clockwise for the bikers.

Brands Hatch was anti-clockwise for cars until about 1954. It's not generally known that Silverstone was anti-clockwise on one occassion...

Posted Image

#9 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 24 February 2002 - 19:20

The short circuit at Mallory, and possibly a couple of others, have been run '' the wrong way'' in recent times for the Eurocar series. This practice has, thankfully, been stamped on now.

#10 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,260 posts

Posted 24 February 2002 - 19:27

Originally posted by josh.lintz
This is a question I have long wanted to ask, but could find few answers. Have there ever been any racing tracks that were run in both clockwise and counter-clockwise directions?

Riverside International Raceway was run in reverse for a Midget race (yes, on the road course). They wanted turn 9 to be a left hander.

I believe Ontario Motor Speedway's road course was run in both directions, though it might have just been for club events.

And, currently, Buttonwillow Raceway Park allows for multiple layouts and there were discussions of running reverse order. I don't know if that's happened or not. It's basically a club and testing circuit.

Long Beach didn't reverse direction, it's always been the same (clockwise), but it has gone through so many changes (something like 9 variations)...I can see how it seems that way! :)

Jim Thurman

#11 Speed Demon

Speed Demon

• 157 posts

Posted 24 February 2002 - 19:30

Be fair on Mallory - they were properly licensed in both directions for racing at the time.

Long Beach has always run clockwise, even for the first F5000 race in 1975, although it has gone through a fair few changes of layout.

Perhaps the ultimate 'reverse raceway' was Ontario Moto Speedway. Although it always ran in a clockewise direction, this was pretty exceptional for an oval, as almost all others are anti-clockwise.

#12 Speed Demon

Speed Demon

• 157 posts

Posted 24 February 2002 - 19:32

Originally posted by Jim Thurman

Riverside International Raceway was run in reverse for a Midget race (yes, on the road course). They wanted turn 9 to be a left hander.

I believe Ontario Motor Speedway's road course was run in both directions, though it might have just been for club events.

And, currently, Buttonwillow Raceway Park allows for multiple layouts and there were discussions of running reverse order. I don't know if that's happened or not. It's basically a club and testing circuit.

Long Beach didn't reverse direction, it's always been the same (clockwise), but it has gone through so many changes (something like 9 variations)...I can see how it seems that way! :)

Jim Thurman

Blimey Jim! We almost think alike... You must have posted this as I was writing mine!

#13 Milan Fistonic

Milan Fistonic

• 1,769 posts

Posted 24 February 2002 - 19:35

Originally posted by David McKinney
The Pukekohe circuit in New Zealand was tried anti-clockwise (instead of the usual clockwise) for a national meeting in April 1966. This turned the uphill 90º corner known at that time as Rothmans into a blind downhill one - a bit like Paddock Hill Bend at Brands but a hell of a lot faster. I don't think a meeting was run in that configuration again.

You are right David, the Pukekohe experiment was only tried the once. Lack of any run-off at the end of the straight was a major problem.

Manfeild is run in both directions.

#14 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,944 posts

Posted 24 February 2002 - 20:31

Originally posted by josh.lintz
Well, I was going for the entire circuit in reverse.

I guessed as much!!

Re Long Beach, I think I was confused by talk of reversing it, in order for CART refuelling to be made easier or some such reason. It may be in an Autosport or GPI with the CART track design.

Maybe they should run Barcelona in reverse, it may liven the Spanish GP up a bit.

#15 Mike Argetsinger

Mike Argetsinger

• 948 posts

Posted 24 February 2002 - 23:04

The first year NASCAR came to Watkins Glen (1957) we ran them counter-clockwise because they were in the habit of turning left. When NASCAR next returned to Watkins Glen in 1964 they ran the normal circuit configuration and have done so since.

That 1957 race - won by Buck Baker with Fireball Roberts second- was quite spectacular with the cars approaching the esses at the end of a long downhill straight and then plunging steep down hill and sweeping left just before start finish. At this point they had just a brief window of time to look at their pit board while trying to stop for the 90 degree left that was turn one for them (normally the last turn). I'll never forget how impressed I was at not only how brave these guys were - but at how quickly they got on about the business of adapting to this unusual (for them) road circuit.

This, by the way, was the first ever professional race we ran at Watkins Glen - preceding by one year the first (of three) International Formula Libre races that brought the first contemporary post war Grand Prix cars and drivers to America and ultimately led to Watkins Glen being awarded the United States Grand Prix in 1961. But that's another story.

Just for the record, we also ran the professional motorcycle races counterclockwise over a number of years in the 50's and 60's.

#16 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,857 posts

Posted 24 February 2002 - 23:22

There's a bit more in these two threads:

http://www.atlasf1.c...&threadid=20168

http://www.atlasf1.c...&threadid=23544

#17 Jhope

Jhope

• 9,440 posts

Posted 24 February 2002 - 23:27

Originally posted by Roger Clark

Posted Image

Off topic, but THAT is a funny picture.

#18 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,857 posts

Posted 24 February 2002 - 23:35

And here are two photos from Motorsport Resort's site about Sitges - an oval that was run both ways.

Clockwise:

Posted Image

Anti-clockwise:

Posted Image

#19 jmp85

jmp85

• 59 posts

Posted 25 February 2002 - 06:15

buenos aires was run clockwise in 1952, and ant-clockwise in 1953... with no changes to the layout (as far as i can recall...)

cheers, jmp85

Advertisement

#20 racer69

racer69

• 225 posts

Posted 25 February 2002 - 06:21

In the mid 80s (1986?) Oran Park in Australia used to run some races in the opposite direction.

#21 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,772 posts

Posted 25 February 2002 - 07:08

Thanks racer69 I was going to post that. I think Oran Park is the winner, a road circuit that was licenced (for a time) to run meetings in both directions (but not at the same time ;) ) This was on the short circuit and not the full Grand Prix circuit.

#22 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 25 February 2002 - 07:47

My ISP packed up early on Sunday so I couldn't post for nearly 20 hours.

I'm amazed that this thread has gone this far without anyone mentioning Aintree.

My Autosport Directory 1955 confirms that Albert Park was originally anti-clockwise.

#23 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,772 posts

Posted 25 February 2002 - 08:01

Yes I forgot about Aintree and I have the Motor Sport story. Albert Park was the other way around but the track is so different since it was rebuilt it would be hard to compare them (at the left right onto the pit straight the old track went straight ahead behind where the pit buildings now are.

#24 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,321 posts

Posted 25 February 2002 - 08:13

Knockhill in Scotland can be run both clockwise and anticlockwise, and is still licensed to do so. It was definitely used a couple of years ago in the opposite direction, but normally only for club races, none of the Internationally licensed series.

#25 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 25 February 2002 - 16:14

Originally posted by jmp85
buenos aires was run clockwise in 1952, and ant-clockwise in 1953... with no changes to the layout (as far as i can recall...)

cheers, jmp85

I'm intrigued by that; somehow I seemed to recall having seen a track map of the 50s circuit in anti-clockwise direction, but from what I've seen in photographs (mainly from 1955) I was sure it was run clockwise! Can you elaborate?

#26 stevew

stevew

• 495 posts

Posted 25 February 2002 - 16:37

And here are two photos from Motorsport Resort's site about Sitges - an oval that was run both ways.

Maybe this could be another discussion topic, but when I look back at some of those old photos, I'm amazed at the total lack of saftey on some of those circuits.

What were they thinking?

#27 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 25 February 2002 - 17:28

I love the one with the guy dangling his legs on the banking! :D

#28 sat

sat

• 347 posts

Posted 25 February 2002 - 20:12

For GP of Czechoslovakia in 1949 track was shorted to 17,8 km and newly raced clockwise.

#29 jmp85

jmp85

• 59 posts

Posted 25 February 2002 - 22:43

Originally posted by fines

I'm intrigued by that; somehow I seemed to recall having seen a track map of the 50s circuit in anti-clockwise direction, but from what I've seen in photographs (mainly from 1955) I was sure it was run clockwise! Can you elaborate?

actually i was wrong, the switch happened between 1953 and 1954. i'm not inventing anything, i just was browsing by forix a while ago and this fact did amuse me...

http://www.forix.com...&l=2&r=5301&c=0

but forix might be wrong!;) i don't have any other references that point to this...

cheers, jmp85

#30 MaTT2799

MaTT2799

• 77 posts

Posted 26 February 2002 - 02:38

I may be wrong, but when Sepang was first used in early 1999 for the Motorcycle GP's I seem to remember them going the other way around it....I may be wrong though.

#31 LB

LB

• 13,571 posts

Posted 26 February 2002 - 04:35

Originally posted by Darren Galpin
Knockhill in Scotland can be run both clockwise and anticlockwise, and is still licensed to do so. It was definitely used a couple of years ago in the opposite direction, but normally only for club races, none of the Internationally licensed series.

Dammit Darren, i thought I was going to look intelligent for a sec there but you beat me too it :D. I have never actually seen the races run anti clockwise though every time I have been it his been up to Duffus not down to Taylors. I think it was done a couple of times but not really continued - its still holds the license to go both ways however.

On Mallory i am fairly sure that the eurocars ran anti clockwise while at another race in the same meeting another class went clockwise around the full circuit. will check on this though.

#32 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,772 posts

Posted 26 February 2002 - 08:50

I did hear that Lakeside was built to run the other way but due to the position of the lake it was reversed before it was used.

#33 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,227 posts

Posted 27 February 2002 - 13:30

Not the position of the lake, rather the approach to what became known as Shell Corner, the corner that would have been at the end of the straight. A lack of runoff etc...

I never knew Oran Park ran in reverse... what categories?

One thing that prevents licensing both directions is the lapping of the Armco fencing...

#34 100cc

100cc

• 3,178 posts

Posted 27 February 2002 - 15:25

Originally posted by MaTT2799
I may be wrong, but when Sepang was first used in early 1999 for the Motorcycle GP's I seem to remember them going the other way around it....I may be wrong though.

I wasn't watching it, but my father was there, and I've seen pictures, they ran it the way they always do=).

#35 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 27 February 2002 - 16:23

Agree with 100cc, definitely not reversed. But the Fuji Speedway ran anti-clockwise, at least until 1973. And Hockenheim too, before the war. Actually, I believe until 1966? Have to check on that.

#36 dbw

dbw

• 993 posts

Posted 27 February 2002 - 22:56

a few years back there was a bicycle race[sanctioning body unknown to me] that ran laguna seca backwards!!!the poor buggers had to grunt UP the corkscrew..... :lol:

#37 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,321 posts

Posted 28 February 2002 - 08:13

If we're talking about bike races, the annual Tour de Combe charity bike race goes around Castle Combe backwards.......

#38 Racer.Demon

Racer.Demon

• 1,722 posts

Posted 28 February 2002 - 09:34

Originally posted by fines
And Hockenheim too, before the war. Actually, I believe until 1966? Have to check on that.

After the war as well - here's Stirling in his famous December 4, 1954 Mercedes test. I bet the direction was changed after the Motodrom was inserted between 1963-1965. So you might be right about 1966, Michael...

And wasn't the oval track (built in 1938) only renamed Hockenheimring after the war?

#39 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,857 posts

Posted 28 February 2002 - 12:03

Originally posted by Darren Galpin
If we're talking about bike races, the annual Tour de Combe charity bike race goes around Castle Combe backwards.......

Not easy, cycling backwards .... unless you have a fixed wheel on the rear! :p :p

Advertisement

#40 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,321 posts

Posted 28 February 2002 - 12:05

Somebody solved the problem by putting an exercise bike on the back of a truck and getting the driver to go around. He cycled all the way.......

#41 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,703 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 16:19

Brands Hatch was anti-clockwise for cars until about 1954. It's not generally known that Silverstone was anti-clockwise on one occassion...

Posted Image

Isn't that Jack Brabham demonstrating the Indianpolis Cooper at Snetterton (I think)?

#42 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 17:39

Definitely Silverstone, as Roger said. Brabham and T54 Cooper (as you said) at the British Empire Trophy meeting, 8th July 1961.

Edited by Tim Murray, 13 August 2009 - 17:43.

#43 ggnagy

ggnagy

• 261 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 13:32

The road course at the Milwaukee Mile runs clockwise, and uses almost all of the oval, plus the infield. I thought the Daytona Continental started out running clockwise, but perhaps it is my imagination, or confusing it with the old Michigan International Speedway road course.

Club racing wise, I believe one of the rovals in the SE US, Atlanta or Charlotte, has been run in either direction.
Thunderhill Raceway Park in California is designed to be run in multiple configurations in either direction.

Back in the days when club racing was insane, er, fun, SCCA held a race in Ohio called "Segdel Snoslen", which is "Nelsons Ledges" backwards. Something makes me think the same might have happened at Marlboro and/or Thompson.

#44 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 05:58

Posted Image

The start of a four-hour enduro at Pacific Raceways, Kent, Washington, run in reverse direction: clockwise, on September 25, 1960. On the front row are, l to r, Chuck Cravens, Ferrari 860 Monza, Stan Burnett, Chev Special, and Pat Pigott, Lotus 15. The June 24, 1962 SCCA race there was also run in the opposite direction. Photo by Gunter Mohr.

Posted Image Posted Image

In a race at Westwood in 1962 (can't remember the date), one of the last races of the day featured a Le Mans start. Everyone took off as usual, except for John Hall (Porsche Carrera) and Dan McMahon (Corvette), who were parked at the end of the grid. They left in the opposite direction, which caused starter Jim McRae to have a fit ! As shown in the photos above, Hall and McMahon proceeded to the hairpin, pulled off the course, waited for the field to go by, and then rejoined the race ! Hall and McRae were at our recent Westwood 50 reunion. Indeed, "Those were the days, my friend..." Photos by Ted Langton-Adams, copyright Eric Faulks.

Vince H.

#45 Roger39

Roger39

• 124 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 10:25

Kyalami was clockwise before the track was revised and it now runs anti-clockwise, although the portion of the track that existed in both layouts is still taken in the same direction...hope that makes sense!

#46 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,170 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 15:27

The now-defunct Second Creek Raceway, outside Denver, Colorado, was usually driven clockwise but was often run counter-clockwise.

Frank

#47 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,703 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 15:50

In 1956, the REAAA were so proud of their new Nakuru race track that they introduced a track test as a tie breaker in the Safari.

Charles Disney's Shell History of the East African Safari Rally states
"In order that drivers familiar with the circuit should not gain an advantage thereby it was originally proposed that the circuit should be lapped anti-clockwise, opposite to the normal direction. But Mr Jim Heather-Hayes , who played a large part in the design and lay-out of Nakuru park Circuit, pointed out the inherent dangers in going round a track that in a direction which meant every corner tightened up as one entered it. A certain amount oif sardonic amusement resulted from a test of this assertion by two prominent Safari officials who, entering Town Bend from the wrong direction with a great deal of verve found themselves running out of road and forced to take to the bundu."

So the test was run clockwise.

That year the average speeds had been lowered in the interests of safety. It also didn't rain. So 13 cars finished the rally without a road penalty and the result was determined by a single lap of the 1.3 mile circuit.

#48 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 15:52

Here is Ed Rahal driving his D-Type 'clockwise' round the Daytona International Speedway banking part of the original DIS road course before it changed to the current clockwise direction.

#49 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,574 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 16:36

Pembrey used to be allowed to run races/sprints in either direction until some additional Armco barriers were installed and it is now only allowed to run clockwise.

:wave:

#50 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 17:24

Duncan -

The same practice was applied when racing circuits were used as special stages on NZ rallies, for the same reason

Maybe the same approach was taken in Europe? I'm sure the Tour de France ran circuits the normal way, but what about, eg, the Avon Tour of Britain?