Photo

Pacific Summit Motorsports in 1988 CART?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 brickyard

brickyard

• 612 posts

Posted 11 March 2002 - 15:06

I've just been told that in 1988 Brassfield drove for a team called Pacific Summit Motorsports, in Trans-Am series, and that the team had purchased a car to try Indycar racing, in that same year.
But the guy who told me this, said it from memory, he thinks he'd listened to this in 1990. Not 60% sure. Could this be the #88 - (Kargo Stopper) Darin Brassfield drove at Mid-Ohio and Laguna Seca that same year?

Advertisement

#2 brickyard

brickyard

• 612 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 19:20

three years ago, (this same day, what a coincidence :cool: ) I asked this question but until now, no answers.
Since I still haven't found anything about it, I've decided to ask again.
Any help?

#3 Rob G

Rob G

• 11,610 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 02:48

I was re-reading this terrific Champ Car thread and stumbled upon a link that led me to the ex-Brassfield Lola being offered for sale at race-cars.com. I don't know if the paint scheme shown here was how the car was painted at Laguna Seca, although it's conceivable. The ad says that the car was "restored," so one would think that would mean that it was painted as it was. The main sponsor logos seem to be missing though - Geneva Motorsports appears to be a Historic Racing team.

#4 beighes

beighes

• 161 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 21:38

Greetings..........
Better late than never here. Darin did drive for Pacific Summit Motorsports. That was the family racing venture. At one time Jerry (dad) & Tony (brother) ran San Fransisco Region races along with Trans-Ams. A variety of Corvettes. I remember the Indy car at the shop, just after it was delivered. The team were customers of mine & I had to make a dash from the shop at Sears Point (now Infineon) to get them some required spares (about a 2 hour drive). I do remember the car was red (at least I think), & seeing the DFX's all lined up in a row on the shelf. Somewhere I've a photo that was taken that day when Chuck Looper put my daughter in the car (she's now 20!) as an expensive "playpen" while he took me off to another part of the shop. Kargo Stopper was a sponsor, all assumed that it was probably one of Jerry Brasfield's many business ventures. It seems that after a few events, Jerry decided not to dwindle the family fortune anymore & shelved the project. If nothing else this is just a bit of trivia.
cheers!

#5 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 00:53

1988, two races, Mid Ohio and Laguna Seca, in a Lola. Both DNFs. Not very auspicious, but as beighes says, probably expensive.

#6 Calimom

Calimom

• 6 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:22

My father, Colin Riley was the fabricator for the #88 Corvette Darin Brassfield drove. He worked for Pacific Summit Motorsports for a time in the 80's.

#7 oldtransamdriver

oldtransamdriver

• 228 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 22:35

The Historic Trans-Am and IMSA group website has the story and photos on the Corvette, now being vintage raced.  My friend Grant Ingram worked as a mechanic for a time with Pacific Summit and I remember

seeing the Indy car in the shop on a visit there.

Robert Barg