Photo

Interlagos

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Gary C

Gary C

• 4,541 posts

Posted 01 April 2002 - 19:01

I have just returned from Interlagos and the GP. Once again I am enthused by this circuit (it's not the first time I have visited). What I am MORE enthused about is the old track layout, which is still there if you look closely enough, under all the current grandstands. I once read somewhere that the old Interlagos was one of John Watson's favourite tracks. After finding a map of the 1970's configuration, it looks absolutely stunning. Does anyone out there have any stories of it???

Advertisement

#2 Geza Sury

Geza Sury

• 936 posts

Posted 01 April 2002 - 21:16

You're a lucky man, Gary! I wish I had been in Brazil as well...

Interlagos was indeed one of the favourite tracks of John Watson together with the old Buenos Aires circuit. He was disappointed to see both of them being shortened in 1990 and 1995 respectively.

Here's a story that you asked for. In 1980, Watson was racing for McLaren, alongside rookie Alain Prost. On the old Interlagos circuit the first left hander was a very quick one, some of the drivers - including Prost - managed to take it flat. Watson with his 100+ GP experience didn't, blaming the bad setup and the notoriously bumpy surface of the track. He was a great tennis fan at that time, so a cartoonist made a drawing showing the traffic sign 'bumpy road' (I don't know the exact English name of this one) with Watson sitting in a car on the top of the bump saying: 'I'll show you how to play tennis! It's also easy!' :lol:

#3 Gary C

Gary C

• 4,541 posts

Posted 02 April 2002 - 22:54

funnily enough, take a look at this : http://www.autosport...tter=2&series=5

#4 RDV

RDV

• 6,733 posts

Posted 03 April 2002 - 02:03

...Old Interlagos was one of the top 3 tracks in the world, at its time, (lets qualify that , we will not include road layouts like the Targa Florio or the Mille Miglia as beyond the definition of race track...) , but having been at Nurburgring and Spa ( the old Spa..) Interlagos fits in that level....dont know about Brno , but have heard some good stories about it too....I digress..

The first two corners could be taken flat by a handfull of drivers from the grid, one of my most pleasant memories is standing by the apex and seeing them arrive, practically no sound from the engine , just the burbling of air over wings and body , then the blast of sound as they went by on full drift in top gear, a truly selective corner....

A great track to test on as it had almost all the corners you could possibly want, uphill downhill , fast slow banked , off camber, and as almost all the track was visible from the pits , section times could be taken for further analysis . Some sections were bumpy, but about par for the period, and as the track was in a valley just beside a major reservoir, and built on originally swampy ground , it moved every year (the bumps that is..) , a truly live track...

The coupling of a very fast pair of corners flat or almost , leading on to a downhill straight with a banked corner diving into the infield , was guaranteed to give huge slipstreaming and grandiose outbraking maneuvres... ah , and no chicanes as such... the Curva do sol was a 5th gear blind corner that tightened up ,and the exit had a rather unforgiving earth bank ... will try to dig up some old track notes from the period... the infield of the track today is basicaly the original track but the great fast corners are gone...

Understeer is the irrefutable proof of the non existence of god.

#5 byrkus

byrkus

• 801 posts

Posted 03 April 2002 - 09:53

Originally posted by RDV
The first two corners could be taken flat by a handfull of drivers from the grid...

Is that a fact?? I mean, those cars were coming into the finish straight with high speed, and those two corners just don't seem to be constructed for such speed. Now, I'm aware that the first corner was slightly banked (which is still seen today), and I'm not sure about second one, but I just can't believe that.

#6 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 03 April 2002 - 18:58

Curva Duas at Interlagos was really one for the Greats to excel... According to Niki Lauda (1975), you just lifted very briefly before the entry to Curva Uma, and then went through both corners in one neat four-wheel drift... WWWOOOOOOOAAAAAAW!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

#7 RDV

RDV

• 6,733 posts

Posted 04 April 2002 - 00:24

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by RDV
The first two corners could be taken flat by a handfull of drivers from the grid...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is that a fact?? I mean, those cars were coming into the finish straight with high speed, and those two corners just don't seem to be constructed for such speed

.......well curva dois yes , curva um in qualifying sounded like flat , and drivers would tell you flat, but remember , no data logging then .... I though Lauda had done it , but as aparently quoted as lifting ,as far as the slight lift goes , it was a confidence thing, it didnt realy slow cars down a lot.... I ll check with a couple of drivers....

#8 F1master

F1master

• 50 posts

Posted 31 August 2002 - 16:37

some questions about the old interlagos circuit. found this thread

1.) this photo looks a little bit odd: according to the track map there is just a slight right hander followed by a left hairpin, but on the photo it looks like a chicane :confused:
Posted Image

2.) are there still endurance races on the long circuit?

because i'm very interested in this great track i'd like to see some photos (or even videos if they are available) especially from the fast turn 1&2 and from turn 3&4 (banked turns?). thanks in advance :) :wave: :up:

#9 byrkus

byrkus

• 801 posts

Posted 31 August 2002 - 20:18

Judging from the photo, in this right hander is also slight elevation change (track rises slightly), and it looks shorter as it was in reality. The yellow car in middle of right hander (Fittipaldi?) is still on full throttle, and braking zone starts between that yellow car and the McLaren directly in front of him.

On long circuit, I doubt that there are any races at all; there are grandstands at the old straight (parallel to Reta Oposta), IIRC.

#10 mp4

mp4

• 584 posts

Posted 31 August 2002 - 22:31

Does anyone know of a site that shows track layouts, original and modified?
I'd love to see what Interlagos looked like before it was changed.

Cheers :wave:

#11 flsp

flsp

• 139 posts

Posted 01 September 2002 - 00:15

Well, Forix of course.

http://www.forix.com...&l=0&r=7302&c=0

#12 Flying Panda

Flying Panda

• 5,053 posts

Posted 01 September 2002 - 02:27

Was the Interlagos Oval ever used ?

#13 mp4

mp4

• 584 posts

Posted 01 September 2002 - 03:28

Thank you so much FLSP! :up: :up:

#14 Chris Skepis

Chris Skepis

• 179 posts

Posted 01 September 2002 - 16:19

I used to race Formula Ford and saloon cars from 1975 up to 1982 at Interlagos. This new lay out is just a pale shade of the 'real' circuit. Now I live about three blocks from the circuit's main entrance.From my kitchen window I can see the main straight with the grand stands and the control tower and a bit of the back straight. it's very easy to find out when a race is going on there because of the noise. In my opinion the old Interlagos together with the old Spa and the old Nurburgring were the best circuits in the world. Pitty they're all gone now. In 1980 I was watching the practice for the Brazilian GP standing on the exit of the pits, few meters from the braking mark for Curva Um. There were just two drivers that never lift the acelerator, they were Patrick Depallier and Didier Pironi. I spent the entire practice standing on the same spot because I thought that sooner or later one of them would crash there. But they never did. It was really something watching them taking Curva Um and Curva Dois absolutelly flatout. I reced there several times and I can tell you that Curva Dois was really scaring. At the exit, the guard rail was scrubbing your nose. And it was bumpy as hell.

#15 Chris Skepis

Chris Skepis

• 179 posts

Posted 01 September 2002 - 16:23

Panda,
the oval circuit was used for some international endurance races. The first race I ever saw 'live'
was the Interlagos 500kms in 1971 won by Herbert Muller in a Ferrari. It was reced on the oval track

#16 Puntataco

Puntataco

• 27 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:38

A very nice video of the non-championship 1972 race, brazilian TV. Even if on portuguese, it is possible to see well the first two corners (famous Curva Um e Dois) and some other parts of the track.
Wilson Fittipaldi is in the Brabham, Emerson in the Lotus, Peterson in the second Lotus, Reutemann also with Brabham.

#17 August

August

• 2,134 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 11:49

I'm curiuos about whether they ended racing on the old, long layout right after F1 started using the short layout, as the old parts mainly exist even today.

#18 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,857 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 19:32

The long bottom straight on the 5 mile circuit has grandstands on it during the Grand Prix but the road is still there.

However, there are a few areas of the long circuit that are no longer usable. I don't know at what point the 'proper' circuit fell out of use.

Edited by Barry Boor, 26 November 2011 - 19:33.

#19 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,259 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 22:09

A few glimpses of Interlagos from the past 48 hours...
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Advertisement

#20 Gary C

Gary C

• 4,541 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 22:10

.........................am just thinking that it's 9 years since I was last at Interlagos...............

#21 Muzza

Muzza

• 799 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:38

I'm curiuos about whether they ended racing on the old, long layout right after F1 started using the short layout, as the old parts mainly exist even today.

The old, complete circuit was used for the last time sometime in November or, more likely, December of 1989. I believe the race was a round of the São Paulo State Touring Car Championship. I'll try to dig this information. I was a mechanical engineering student in São Paulo at the time, and had been a marshal, tech inspector and assistant clerk for races in that lay-out.

Contrary to what plenty of websites state, the original lay-out was not even once used since the inauguration of the new one, at the 1990 Brazilian GP.

#22 Muzza

Muzza

• 799 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:42

Well, Forix of course.

http://www.forix.com...=...;r=7302&c=0

Yes, quite a few times. The 500 km of Interlagos were raced in the oval circuit (called Anel Externo, or Outer Ring by the locals) in the late 1950s and early 1960s. In the early 1980s there was a series called Turismo 5000 for 5-liter touring cars (using Ford Galaxies, Ford Mavericks and Dodge Darts) that routinely raced on the Outer Ring. There were a few other odd races here and there as well.

#23 F3Wrench

F3Wrench

• 95 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 13:56

For a good idea of what Interlagos was like in the winter of 1970, including the map of the old circuit, check out my former driver Barrie Maskell's web page: http://www.barriemas...o.uk/page40.htm

Other pages on his web-site come complete with lurid stories of derring-do and naughty goings on...

#24 August

August

• 2,134 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:07

I don't know how much you Nostalgia forumists read Racing Comments, but here's a post that maybe should have belonged here.

http://forums.autosp...a...t&p=5407503

#25 Gary C

Gary C

• 4,541 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 18:08

here's a page from website that I posted in 2002 : http://www.users.glo..._pace/index.htm