Photo

UK racing venues; the definitive list

• Please log in to reply
203 replies to this topic

#201 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,170 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 13:59

Chris Mason in "Uphill Racers" records that the "racing-orientated BRSCC" took over the organisation of Longleat in 1965, the only year it counted for the RAC Hillclimb Championship. That would have been, without checking, from Burham on Sea Motor Club, I think.
He also records that day as having organisational shortcomings.
(The RAC Championship showed some interest in Longleat in the late 90s but, to the relief of the regular competitors in the two usually oversubscribed days, it came to nothing).
Longleat was effectively lost in recent years, following it's re-opening by Woolbridge Motor Club in 1990, becuase the Estate would only offer late season dates that failed to provide enough daylight to run an acceptably sized entry.

My suggestion of running the roadgoing entry in the dark failed to attract support!

Edited by RS2000, 04 July 2011 - 14:00.

Advertisement

#202 IanMH

IanMH

• 159 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:50

I stumbled across this page while surfing the web...must admit I had never heard of Mancetter Quarry!, although it has a fleeting mention in post 55...includes a few interesting pics of a sprint/hillclimb in the 50's...

http://timetrail.war...b...d=1&page=17

shades of Longridge!...

Cheers Ian :wave:

#203 ChrisRiv

ChrisRiv

• 10 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 14:56

Can't see mention of Millbrook proving ground on here. I took part in a Sprint there in the 90's.

#204 Hse289

Hse289

• 600 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 14:41

ghinzani and David McKinney.

I got a great book for christmas called " Motorsport Explorer" by Julian Hunt, amongst others it mentions the Hillclimb just outside Fordingbridge. Its called Cockley Hill just off the B3078. For those who live locally you can access it from the Ashley Walk car park. The path which leads to it is called the Snake Track which then goes over a stream and then winds its way up Cockley Hill. To think i have driven past there hundreds of times and not known it was a place of motorsport.
Of course the area is known for its use during the second world war as the Ashley Walk bombing range. Might go for another walk there tomorrow if its not raining.
Here is a photo from the 1980`s i have just scanned. Sorry about the quality.
Paul

Posted Image