Photo

Cheering myself up after Austria...

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,524 posts

Posted 12 May 2002 - 17:30

World Championship? WHY care...so, just as therapy (for me), here's another bunch of pix discovered at random and posted thanks to Allen Brown's forebearance, which might perhaps trigger some discussion...

First a racing might-have-been, body ....

Posted Image

...and chassis intended for same....

Posted Image

...then an Anglo-American oddball (the car that is)...

Posted Image

...an insight into the famous Maserati works mortuary at the Modena factory, where discarded bodywork, frames, engines, bits and pieces were stored - many of them for many years...

Posted Image

...and what, pray, is this?

Posted Image

...or this - for the Brits, who? when? where?

Posted Image

...for Leif, Hans, etc, this ravishingly beautiful line-up...

Posted Image

...and this pair of oil-oozers from a team recently 'threaded'...

Posted Image

...and another who? what? where?...

Posted Image

...followed by a great Australian driver in a car of which it has been said...

Posted Image

...and then two cars from a racing organisation which once upon a time properly understood The Plot - the first is a who, what, when, where while the second is just for interest...

Posted Image

...it is the ex-Pat Hoare ex-Phil Hill 1960 Ferrari Dino 246 - with original V6 engine replaced by a 3-litre V12 for Tasman racing - as retrieved from New Zealand by Neil Corner. It had been fitted with a ghastly GT body but the original panels and frame had been well preserved, as this pic proves (so far as the body panels are concerned).

Posted Image

I hope the above might entertain .... Lord knows we need it...

DCN

Advertisement

#2 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 12 May 2002 - 17:44

What a lovely selection!
Third from top looks like the Emeryson-Duesenberg. The 1954 (?) Standard Guardsvan had me worried, but the pic must have been taken during the latter part of the hybrid's Irish period.
I want to say the next one's a Revis??
Then Raymond Baxter in an early monocoque, probably at the time of the Suez Crisis
Skipping to the sportscar (reg. 400CHA). Looks like Mossy, but I can't think what. A Halseylec maybe?
The bottom two Dino Ferrari photos: von Trips winning the 1960 F2 Syracuse GP at the top, and at the bottom Pat Hoare's sister car with V12 Testa Rossa engine. My guess would be this shot shows what Neil Corner was left with after taking the GT body off.
I'll think some more about the others...

#3 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 12 May 2002 - 19:46

Dear Mr.Nye:

THANK YOU!!!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

#4 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,776 posts

Posted 12 May 2002 - 22:32

Posted Image

What a wonderfully hideous assemblage of Delahayes! And two with the same number as well! German GP 1938 with the new, but practically useless, 155 at the front, carrying Dreyfus' number - just like the one at the back, which is the 145 monoplace he drove in the race. In the middle is the two-seater 145, built up on a 135 sports car chassis, and driven by Comotti. He also seems to have tried the 155, as there are pictures of him in both, with numbers as above, in Georgano.

#5 nick stone

nick stone

• 122 posts

Posted 13 May 2002 - 00:10

I think the chap in the bathtub special could be Raymond Baxter. He's well rugged up so it might be around December. A Christmas special for his TV programe? And where's the motive power?

#6 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,052 posts

Posted 13 May 2002 - 00:49

You had a hard day, Doug?

I'm more than a bit mystified by the 'Great Australian Driver' pic... not a Lotus, not a Brabham, not a Gardner, not a Hawkins... got me!

#7 lynmeredith

lynmeredith

• 174 posts

Posted 13 May 2002 - 02:32

Raymond Baxter in the bath?

Lyn M

#8 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,524 posts

Posted 13 May 2002 - 07:52

Yes indeed - it is Roland Thaxter in the bath...

But - according to the caption on the back of the print- you know him Ray...we've talked about him recently......but I must say that his appearance, if proven, in this car surprised me too...

DCN

#9 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,524 posts

Posted 13 May 2002 - 07:57

Well spotted - 'Derlies' and Roland Thaxter...more can follow on his monocoque as Dave rightly points out, a World Champion driving it no less - sorry again for this muddle of two parallel posted threads due to op. err.

Nothing hazarded on the F1 streamliner? It was going to use an 8-cylinder engine...

DCN

#10 Leif Snellman

Leif Snellman

• 1,135 posts

Posted 13 May 2002 - 08:15

Thanks for the Delahayes Doug! Could it be from The 1938 German GP?

#11 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,502 posts

Posted 13 May 2002 - 15:40

Originally posted by Doug Nye

Nothing hazarded on the F1 streamliner? It was going to use an 8-cylinder engine...

DCN

Was it one of the cars intended for the Climax Godiva engine?

#12 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,776 posts

Posted 13 May 2002 - 15:51

Originally posted by Roger Clark

Was it one of the cars intended for the Climax Godiva engine?

That was my thought too, Roger, but the Kieft looked nothing like that (unless they built a streamliner I've not come across before), the Connaught was mid-engined and I don't think the HWM even got off the drawing board.

Somehow that front intake says "Bristol" to me, but I'm not aware of them ever attempting a GP car.

#13 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 13 May 2002 - 16:19

Originally posted by David McKinney
The bottom two Dino Ferrari photos: von Trips winning the 1960 F2 Syracuse GP at the top, and at the bottom Pat Hoare's sister car with V12 Testa Rossa engine. My guess would be this shot shows what Neil Corner was left with after taking the GT body off.

To explain my apparent stupidity:
This was posted before the pictures had captions

#14 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,502 posts

Posted 13 May 2002 - 16:33

Originally posted by Vitesse2

Somehow that front intake says "Bristol" to me, but I'm not aware of them ever attempting a GP car.

It doesn't look Bristol-like to me, more Aston-Martin. However, the chassis looks rather like the G-Type ERA, which later became the Bristol 450, so perhaps... I can't recall either Bristol or Aston-Martin being associated with a V8 at that time.

Did ERA plan a Godiva powered car?

#15 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,776 posts

Posted 13 May 2002 - 17:11

Originally posted by Roger Clark

It doesn't look Bristol-like to me, more Aston-Martin. However, the chassis looks rather like the G-Type ERA, which later became the Bristol 450, so perhaps... I can't recall either Bristol or Aston-Martin being associated with a V8 at that time.

Did ERA plan a Godiva powered car?

Yes, I suppose it does have an air of DB2 about it. There were ERA plans for a 2.5 litre car of course, but I've never seen any reference to the Godiva in that connection, let alone anything built.

Going back to the Delahayes - anyone know what the fourth car at the back is? It looks white, so maybe Pietsch's 4CM?

#16 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 13 May 2002 - 21:17

The nose of the car sitting sideways next to the pits in the Delahaye photos looks like Ferrari to me...

#17 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 13 May 2002 - 21:17

..............and to cheer myself up after returning from the A1-Ring, I took a look thru some pf my own pics from the Goodwood FOS & Revival Meetings!!

#18 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 13 May 2002 - 21:19

The nose of the car in the top photo looks Cooper-esque to me, but I don't know anything about this car..

#19 pedro

pedro

• 65 posts

Posted 13 May 2002 - 22:22

A shot in the dark on the streamliner - based on the shape of the air-intake, the possible V8 engine, and the fact that the project was abandoned: Alta

Advertisement

#20 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,776 posts

Posted 13 May 2002 - 22:33

Originally posted by dretceterini
The nose of the car sitting sideways next to the pits in the Delahaye photos looks like Ferrari to me...

In 1938? :confused:

#21 pedro

pedro

• 65 posts

Posted 13 May 2002 - 22:40

Originally posted by dretceterini

In 1938?

Could be half-right - its an Alfa Romeo, isn't it?

#22 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 14 May 2002 - 02:19

oops... not sure what it is, but the grille still looks like an early Ferrari Gp car to me... :blush:

#23 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,524 posts

Posted 14 May 2002 - 10:19

Originally posted by pedro
A shot in the dark on the streamliner - based on the shape of the air-intake, the possible V8 engine, and the fact that the project was abandoned: Alta

:clap: Pedro - do you know much more about it - because I don't. Can anyone add much further on this or the other cars, especially '400 CHA' which is bugging the hell out of me, because I used to know this...and now cannot remember.

DCN

#24 Milan Fistonic

Milan Fistonic

• 1,769 posts

Posted 02 June 2002 - 07:30

I've brought this thread back to the top as there are photos that have not been identified. In particular the one of the "great Australian driver" has been bugging me. I'm sure I've seen that shot somewhere and can't remember where.

Also the one of Moss(?) in car number 79. What, where and when?

#25 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,524 posts

Posted 02 June 2002 - 09:01

OK - time to be humane - the GAD is Frank Gardner - the circuit Brands Hatch - the car an obscure sports-racing car known as the AD Sportive. Or at least that's the information on the back of the print. The year is 1962 or 1963, probably the latter I believe.

Car '79' is a void in my damaged memory banks but Milan - though it looks rather like him it is not Moss driving it.]

Oh, and I know they're easy, but nobody has commented on/identified the two Maseratis at Silverstone...

DCN

#26 Milan Fistonic

Milan Fistonic

• 1,769 posts

Posted 02 June 2002 - 09:36

According to your British GP book the two Maseratis were entered by Escuderia Bandeirantes for the Brazilian Bianco (34) and the Uruguayan Heitel Cantoni (35) at the 1952 British GP. The cars are Maserati A6GCM/52s.

#27 Milan Fistonic

Milan Fistonic

• 1,769 posts

Posted 02 June 2002 - 11:38

Gardner drove the AD-Sportive in the 1962 Guards Trophy race at Brands Hatch.

#28 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 02 June 2002 - 14:24

The No.79 driver looks like Peter Gammon or...well, several other '50s British drivers, I suppose.
Among them would be Tommy Sopwith, whose Equipe Endeavour cars were always dark blue, and usually had '400' reg numbers.

#29 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,776 posts

Posted 26 January 2003 - 22:45

Posted Image

Doug originally asked "who when where" on this. We know who, where is still obscure, but I can reveal that this motorised bath was built by a group of students in Kingston Upon Thames in 1960 as a Rag Week stunt. It's based on a 1928 vintage bathtub and those wings (off a Lambretta? Or a Vespa?) are painted a pale yellow. Source: Simply Nostalgia TV, "Britain in the 60s" :)

#30 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 2,198 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 08:33

What ho Doug!

I have not read the replies, no time!!! Pic one looks suspiciously German to me and there were many such devices lurking around in Germany post WW2. Most of them were BMW 328 based as everybody knows but there was certainly a more ambitious project with a V8 engine designed by Alex von Faulkenhausen (excuse spelling if its wrong). Certainly the engine was built and perhaps a chassis as well.

Pic Five looks Cooper based, or at least those wheels do. Further on the trio of Delahaye V12s reminds me that this car also raced in the 1938 Cork Grand Prix. What eventually happened to these very distinctive machines?

Great stuff keep it coming.