Photo

USGP: can I make it?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 dirtyboy

dirtyboy

• 169 posts

Posted 05 July 2002 - 20:46

Ok, this year I’m going to try and get the hell out of Indianapolis as fast as possible. Southwest has a cheap flight leaving Indy at 6:25 pm. Do you think I can make it to the airport, return the rental car and still make the flight? I don’t know what the traffic is like after the race because the last few years I just waited in the parking lot drinking beers.

Advertisement

#2 Chris G.

Chris G.

• 6,585 posts

Posted 05 July 2002 - 21:02

You could. Park VERY far away from the track. The extra walking will still beat a parking lot traffic jam.

#3 Buford

Buford

• 11,174 posts

Posted 05 July 2002 - 21:13

Here's the secret learned from 37 straight years at the Indy 500. Get there early and park to the Southwest of the track in Speedway (the little town) on 15th or 14th street in the residential area. Or pay somebody to park in their yard on those streets. You want to be south of 16th street (the one that runs directly to the south of the track). Everybody is parked to the North of 16th and that is where the conjestion is. After the race then you can go south to 10th street with little traffic problem and then West on 10th over to the freeway (65 or 465 whichever the number is), and then South on that to the airport. You would want to do that even if you were intending to go north when you got to the freeway as I always did. But you are going south to the airport so it will work even better.

To clarify, the southwest corner of the track where the main gate is, is 16th and Georgetown Road. Georgetown Road runs North/South. 16th runs East/West. OK to the South of 16th then are 15th, 14th, 13th etc. But not directly to the south of the track where they do not go through due to businesses and shopping areas. But they do exist just to the West of the track (kiddie corner if you know the expression). If you stood at the main gate and looked southwest you would see the little town of Speedway. A street of stores. Go over there. It is a block walk. Right over there are the residential streets 15th, 14th, 13th etc. There is ALWAYS parking there. Even the Indy 500 fans do not know this. You can find a place right on the street by the curb for free if you get there 7 or 8 AM or you can park in somebody's yard or driveway for a small charge. After the race those streets are not conjested, especailly if you hustle right over there. There are cops to move the cars south on any of the streets to the west along there and they hustle you right down to 10th street were you can turn to the west and zoom right over to the freeway.

You owe me a beer - but I don't drink beer. But this is the secret and I am not kidding. This works.

#4 ehagar

ehagar

• 7,749 posts

Posted 05 July 2002 - 21:40

Buford, is that the area by the watertower?

I stayed there... access was as easy as piss.

#5 wawawa

wawawa

• 4,315 posts

Posted 05 July 2002 - 21:50

Since we're on the topic of the USGP here -

I don't know if I'll go, but if I do, I'll probably get tickets from the scalpers. Has anyone bought tickets from them? Do they sell below, at or above par?

Thanks!

#6 ehagar

ehagar

• 7,749 posts

Posted 05 July 2002 - 21:54

I haven't but the USGP is a buyers market. Scalpers are everywhere, and if you wait just before the race you could get them below cost. They are also a lot of tickets on e-bay.

#7 jhodges

jhodges

• 1,404 posts

Posted 05 July 2002 - 21:54

The scalpers there rock. You can get just about any seat. Best of all they're "officially licensed" by the ringmaster himself.

#8 Buford

Buford

• 11,174 posts

Posted 05 July 2002 - 22:03

I don't remember the water tower but I have not been back since I started my IRL boycott in 1998. But it is in the town of Speedway, the streets directly behind (south) the Conkle Funeral home and to the west of the single street of stores that make up downtown Speedway, Indiana.

#9 mika911

mika911

• 605 posts

Posted 06 July 2002 - 02:21

I find the traffic leaving USGP to not be that bad.

#10 ForzaF1

ForzaF1

• 489 posts

Posted 06 July 2002 - 04:24

Buford is 100% correct. Ive only be to Indy for the 2 USGPs there and stumbled into this strategy the first year (navigating in a new town via GPS unit!) both years we have parked a few blocks west and a block or so south of the SW corner of the track and have got in and out of the area with very little problem. Last year I'd estimate we were at speed on the freeway within 15 minutes of leaving the track (we stayed for the podium) We park in the lot of the funeral home on (I think) 15th maybe 4 blocks west of the track in a mostly residential area, to park where we do we have to get there quite early but it is well worth it and have had very little trouble with traffic.

#11 dworsham

dworsham

• 1,169 posts

Posted 06 July 2002 - 04:49

want to share a heliocopter to Chicago?

yes I am serious.

#12 dirtyboy

dirtyboy

• 169 posts

Posted 06 July 2002 - 06:18

Originally posted by dworsham
want to share a heliocopter to Chicago?

yes I am serious.

I would love to but I don’t see how flying to Chicago will save me any time. Basically, I need to get back to Los Angeles as fast as possible.

#13 Buford

Buford

• 11,174 posts

Posted 06 July 2002 - 06:36

Actually we don't have any heliocopters in the USA and especially not in Haybale City. Not unless Castroneves has his own aircraft anyway.

We do however have helicopters. But don't mind me, I am just being a dick here.

#14 Chris G.

Chris G.

• 6,585 posts

Posted 06 July 2002 - 07:28

Originally posted by Buford
Actually we don't have any heliocopters in the USA and especially not in Haybale City. Not unless Castroneves has his own aircraft anyway.

We do however have helicopters. But don't mind me, I am just being a dick here.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

#15 aportinga

aportinga

• 10,601 posts

Posted 06 July 2002 - 14:33

For those who are going be sure to leave dinner open for Saturday night ;) We're working on an un-official meet and greet and I have already reserved some room for us.

#16 Binx

Binx

• 21 posts

Posted 31 July 2002 - 01:12

:( I cant seem to get in the Paddock club thread...

Can you update whats going on?

Thanks!
Binx :smoking:

#17 benn5325

benn5325

• 1,677 posts

Posted 31 July 2002 - 13:01

It's over in the "Readers Comments" forum now.