Photo

'Almost-moves'

• Please log in to reply
823 replies to this topic

#101 Geza Sury

Geza Sury

• 936 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 16:56

Talking of Renault, it must be mentioned that in the summer and autumn of 1984, Niki Lauda was having serious talks with the team about joining them for the following season. In the end, Lauda stayed at McLaren, because Renault leaked out some news about their discussions. The details are written in Lauda's second biography, "To Hell and Back".

Advertisement

#102 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,503 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 18:05

This week's Autosport records that Bernard de Dryver nearly had the RAM Williams in 1980 but could not raise the cash.

#103 Marcel Visbeen

Marcel Visbeen

• 237 posts

Posted 04 November 2003 - 19:55

Originally posted by Geza Sury

I've just seen the 1984 Minardi Alfa Romeo in a book. One of my friends travelled to Italy and was lucky enough to find a book about the team's history. The book is large format, mostly pictures, but also informative text in both English and Italian. I've tried to find a book on Ebay and with Bookfinder, but there isn't a single copy available :cry:

I've been trying to find info about this book, but found zip . Would you know the title, writer, publisher, anything? I'm really curious about this mistery book!
Please....? :D

#104 Geza Sury

Geza Sury

• 936 posts

Posted 04 November 2003 - 22:26

Originally posted by Marcel Visbeen
I've been trying to find info about this book, but found zip . Would you know the title, writer, publisher, anything? I'm really curious about this mistery book!
Please....? :D

No problem, I'm going to ask my friend tommorrow. Perhaps our Italian friends could help to locate the book afterwards.

#105 Geza Sury

Geza Sury

• 936 posts

Posted 06 November 2003 - 08:41

I've just seen the 1984 Minardi Alfa Romeo in a book. One of my friends travelled to Italy and was lucky enough to find a book about the team's history. The book is large format, mostly pictures, but also informative text in both English and Italian. I've tried to find a book on Ebay and with Bookfinder, but there isn't a single copy available :cry:

The exact title of the book is: Minardi F1 Team. Author: Stefano Pasini. Publisher: G.E.L.I. Sports.

I found the picture of the front cover on the author's website. Here it is:
Posted Image

I'm going to E-mail the author and ask him if he has any ideas where to purchase the book. May I ask our Italian members to help finding the book somewhere?

#106 gdecarli

gdecarli

• 1,038 posts

Posted 06 November 2003 - 09:35

I'm going to E-mail the author and ask him if he has any ideas where to purchase the book. May I ask our Italian members to help finding the book somewhere?

I made a quick search, but I couldn't find it anywhere. This book is dated 1991, so I think you need some luck to find one.
Surely Stefano Pasini is the best person that can help you.

Ciao,
Guido

#107 gdecarli

gdecarli

• 1,038 posts

Posted 07 November 2003 - 14:53

Alex Zanardi was ready to race at Monza 1991 either in Benetton and Jordan. He himself tells this story in his book "... però, Zanardi da Castel Maggiore".
When Benetton signed with Schumacher, Jordan needed a new driver. He didn't want Moreno, so he asked Zanardi to go to Monza. Meanwhile, Benetton and Schumacher had some problems about "legal paper" (I don't know how to explain better), so there was possibility for Michael to drive only from following races (Portugal, IIRC).
Benetton and Schumacher solved their problems, so Zanardi refused to sign with Benetton (as tester, with "some possibility" to replace Piquet in future) and decided to join Jordan. On friday morning, when he went to the paddock ready for practice, Alex discovered Moreno on "his" car, because of a legal misunderstandign between Cipriani (Alex's team manager in F.3000), Briatore and Eddie Jordan.

Some months later - march 1992 - Zanardi had no contract. He went to South African F.1 GP looking for some contacts. He spoke with Tyrrell: they still have an empty seat. They were talking with Andrea De Cesaris, but there were some problems (money, of course).
Tyrrell decided that Zanardi would be his second choice. Unfortunately for Alex, on monday before GP all problems with De Cesaris were solved, so Andrea drove Tyrrell and Zanardi became Benetton tester.

Ciao,
Guido

#108 Geza Sury

Geza Sury

• 936 posts

Posted 07 November 2003 - 23:23

Originally posted by gdecarli
I made a quick search, but I couldn't find it anywhere. This book is dated 1991, so I think you need some luck to find one.
Surely Stefano Pasini is the best person that can help you.

Ciao,
Guido

That's what I was afraid of... Thanks anyway, Guido.

#109 gdecarli

gdecarli

• 1,038 posts

Posted 11 November 2003 - 23:35

I found another "almost move". Ivan Capelli had an accident at USA GP 1988, so March looked for a new driver for replacing him at following France and Great Britain GP, if Ivan was not able to drive.
They asked to Bruno Giacomelli, Mauro Baldi (again!) and Marco Apicella, but Ivan was OK, so nothing happened.

Ciao,
Guido

(from Autosprint 26/1988 page 31)

#110 Mischa Bijenhof

Mischa Bijenhof

• 306 posts

Posted 18 November 2003 - 22:13

Apperently, EuroBrun's Walter Brun wanted to replace Claudio Langes halfway the 1990 season. Brun claimed that Langes was underperforming, but as the Italian's car was merely a spare that hardly got to run a proper lap, it must have been due to sponsorship. Does anybody have an idea what brave soul should have been in the second EuroBrun from midseason? The name Enrico Bertaggia surely pops to my mind again, as his contemporary notorious waste-of-timer, Roberto Moreno, was already there :rolleyes:

#111 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 1,991 posts

Posted 18 November 2003 - 23:35

Originally posted by Mischa Bijenhof
Apperently, EuroBrun's Walter Brun wanted to replace Claudio Langes halfway the 1990 season. Brun claimed that Langes was underperforming, but as the Italian's car was merely a spare that hardly got to run a proper lap, it must have been due to sponsorship. Does anybody have an idea what brave soul should have been in the second EuroBrun from midseason? The name Enrico Bertaggia surely pops to my mind again, as his contemporary notorious waste-of-timer, Roberto Moreno, was already there :rolleyes:

It was the Brazillian Marco Greco, with sponsorship from Star Jeans - however they wouldnt give him a superlicence, altho he did become Osellas reserve driver in 91.

#112 Geza Sury

Geza Sury

• 936 posts

Posted 03 January 2004 - 10:01

Silverstone, end of June or begin of July 1989: Pirro on Lola Larrousse Lc89-Lamborghini
(from Autosprint 27/1989, page 13)

On those days at Silverstone some drivers tested Lola:

• Emanuele Pirro 1'13"16
  • Eric Bernard 1'13"93
  • Alain Ferté 1'14"37
  • Jean Louis Schlesser 1'16"87
Yannick Dalmas (second official driver, at that moment) was at Silverstone, but he was not allowed to drive as Larrousse decided to replace him. First driver was Philippe Alliot, but he was not present at this test.
Pirro was ready to race with Lola at next GP (Le Castellet), but after this test many things happened.

It seems Gerard Larrousse was unsure, which driver to replace. Here's what I found in the "Equipe Larrousse F1" book:

After the disappointment of the preceeding three Grand Prix, where Phillipe Alliot had made some errors and Yannick Dalmas had not qualified, Gerard Larrousse had time to reflect the situation. For to establish their position, he was connvinced that he had to replace one of the drivers. Alliot? He was good in practise and recognised the his non-finishing was down to him. Once his morale was back he could give his best again. Dalmas? Impeded by technical problems in the beginning of the season, he had following that, not put together a great performance. The information that would help Gerard Larrousse to make his decision came from the Bosch computer readouts, demonstarting that Dalmas was perhaps not able to make best use of the Lamborghini engine in his Lola. It has him who would be replaced. Four drivers, three French and one Italian would be tried at the Silverstone test session: Eric Bernard, Alain Ferté, Jean Louis Schlesser and Emmanuele Pirro. The first one was retained.

#113 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 03 January 2004 - 11:57

Originally posted by ghinzani

It was the Brazillian Marco Greco, with sponsorship from Star Jeans - however they wouldnt give him a superlicence, altho he did become Osellas reserve driver in 91.

Wasn't there also an attempt to replace Oscar Larrauri at one point, but nobody else was willing and available?

#114 baggish

baggish

• 100 posts

Posted 03 January 2004 - 22:34

There is a little misunderstanding: I mean that he [Klaus Ludwig] should have driven for all 11 GP raced in Europe, from Spain (April 13th) to Portugal (September 21st). I don't know if he ever tested Zakspeed. I let you know if I find something more...

This is a very distant memory, so it could be completely wrong, but I think I remember an interview with Ludwig in Autosport where he said he wasn't happy driving open wheeled cars. If that's true, it's not surprising that nothing happened.

Jon

#115 Rene

Rene

• 6,926 posts

Posted 04 January 2004 - 00:06

I didn't see this famous almost move in this thread...

Gilles Villeneuve to Mclaren for the 1982 season...see the pit wall negotiations between Gilles and Ron Dennis as outlined on page 266 in Gerald Donaldsons excellent book, 'Gilles Villeneuve, The Life of the Legendary Racing Driver'.

#116 nigel5

nigel5

• 102 posts

Posted 04 January 2004 - 20:29

Hello,

MotorSport of January 2004 explain in page 25 that : "Patrick Tambay's new Renault RE50 sets the quickest time in a five-day pre-season formula one test at Rio (1984) ".

Unfortunatly, this not an article...
I am interrested in all the best times of these five-days tests and in some pictures of the formula one that made these tests at Rio.

Thanks.

Guido, I went to your site : Terrific.
But, why some people wants to destroy the Monza banking :eek: :eek: :eek: ? From my point of view, it's ridiculous.
Why these banking are not used to organise an Historical race ?

#117 gdecarli

gdecarli

• 1,038 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 02:37

Nigel5, thank you!
I think Monza banking is quite OT here, so I have just answered on one Monza banking thread.

As regards Tambay, I'm sorry I can't help you!

Ciao,
Guido

#118 Kojima_KE007

Kojima_KE007

• 115 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 03:06

Keke Rosberg and Gianfranco Brancatelli nearly drove for Kauhsen Kojima for 1978 season.

Masahiro Hasemi had an offer from Theodor for 1978 season.

Aguri Suzuki had an offer from Benetton for 1991.

Akihiko Nakaya to Brabham for 1992, only to be denied by him not being issued the super licence.

Kazuyoshi Hoshino had an offer to drive for Benetton for 1994 Japanese Grand Prix.

#119 Mischa Bijenhof

Mischa Bijenhof

• 306 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 11:03

Interesting: Hoshino would have been 47 years old by then...

Advertisement

#120 Kojima_KE007

Kojima_KE007

• 115 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 11:13

Originally posted by Mischa Bijenhof
Interesting: Hoshino would have been 47 years old by then...

True, but he was still very competitive and beat Eddie Irvine to clinch the Japanese F3000 championship the year before that and looking at what Irvine did at Japanese Grand Prix with Jordan in 1993, Hoshino on Benetton might have been another interesting (sort of) "wild card" to watch.

#121 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,089 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 12:08

Jan Lammers was to replace Gilles in 1982. However Jan injured his thumb during practice for the Detroit GP ): .
In the end of 1985 Lammers was negociating to get into the Ligier possibly with some backing from Nashua and other enthusiastic dutch sponsors. Philippe Streiff's dady was bringing in more cash than Jan however :| .

#122 gdecarli

gdecarli

• 1,038 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 17:05

As I have already posted in THE driver/car combinations that didn't happen... thread, in 1981 Manfred Winkelhock could have replaced Jan Lammers on ATS #9 from Belgium GP, for all following GP. Previously he had already agreed to race Germany GP.

Indeed, reality was quite different: Lammers left the team, but he was replaced for all remaining GP by Slim Borgudd, who had already raced San Marino GP as second drivers. Winkelhock first GP on ATS was only at Kyalami 1982, so even agreed Germany GP 1981 was not raced.

Source: Autosprint 20/1981, page 86 (issue between San Marino and Belgium GP)

Ciao,
Guido

#123 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,503 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 18:21

Motor Sport this month is reporting that Ferrari asked Alan Jones to join them after Pironi's accident.

#124 jph

jph

• 370 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 09:01

Originally posted by Ensign 14:
Motor Sport this month is reporting that Ferrari asked Alan Jones to join them after Pironi's accident.

It's a bit more than just Motor Sport reporting it, as the words apparently come from the horse's mouth in a readers' Q&A article.

#125 gdecarli

gdecarli

• 1,038 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 15:30

Van Rossem wanted to have Keke Rosberg (with Stefan Johansson) in his team, Onyx, in 1990. In August 1989 there were rumors about a test for him and Nelson Piquet to be done "soon".
I think that it was never done by none of them.

Ciao,
Guido
(source: Autosprint 32/1989, page 4)

#126 Geza Sury

Geza Sury

• 936 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 12:32

The exact title of the book is: Minardi F1 Team. Author: Stefano Pasini. Publisher: G.E.L.I. Sports.

I found the picture of the front cover on the author's website. Here it is:
Posted Image

I'm going to E-mail the author and ask him if he has any ideas where to purchase the book.

Just to let you know, that I didn't receive any reply from the author. (I wrote him in English, not in Italain, though.) I still would like to purchase the Minardi book, but I didn't find a copy for sale. Collector's Carbooks have one for 50 quid, but I guess it's a little bit more than I can afford...

#127 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 13:34

I've just learnt that Ferrari was not only interested in Cheever, but Eddie had actually tested Lauda's Ferrari at Maranello in 20th September 1977. It was one day before Gilles Villeneuve got to drive the car. It's interesting to note the even before these two, Mario Andretti also did a test, but eventually decided to stay with Lotus. Any pictures of these tests would be wonderful!

If you have access to Autosprints, they printed a pic or two of Cheever testing the T2. If you carry on a few months, you'll also see colour shots of de Angelis testing a T3...

Originally posted by Paolo
Since this is partly a " Thomas Kaiser " thread, I'll say I remember him for two reasons.

1) He sported a beard
2) He hired James Hunt as a driving trainer when he was in F3000

...and my two are;

3) He was overweight and sponsored by 'Hello Sweden'
4) He drove with an aerial sticking out of the top of his helmet

The greatest 'almost-move' has got to be the Peterson/Pryce swap, as previously mentioned. Shadow had even got his name painted (they weren't using decals in those days) on the cockpit sides...

Clay Regazzoni was offered the second McLaren for 1977, but turned it down as he believed he would still be at Ferrari. There was another driver offered the same seat at the same time - I only read about it recently - but I'm buggered if I can remember who it was now! :mad: Ahh! It was Amon! Why, oh why, oh why didn't he do that...?!

I guess Lauda's move to Renault for 1985 has been mentioned already, as has Derek Warwick's move to Lotus for '86 which was blocked by Senna.

TW

#128 Le Castellet

Le Castellet

• 17 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 19:15

Originally posted by Nilz295

Also I heard that Sandro Nannini had an offer from Ferrari for 1991. Is that right??

It was absolutely true !! but Alessandro didn’t sign because he wanted a two years contract and Ferrari offered him a only one year contract. So Nannini refused :eek: .

#129 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 00:27

[Just to say that it's great to see the worth of getting the archives unlocked... :up: ]

#130 Updraught

Updraught

• 47 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 02:16

Also not previously mentioned, Al Unser Sr. was offered, but declined, a McLaren seat in 1977 to replace Jochen Mass.

#131 Maldwyn

Maldwyn

• 1,486 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 07:07

Originally posted by dmj
And there is interesting case of Riccardo Patrese, who should go to Brabhan two years earlier but stayed in Arrows instead, supposedly because he waited for a Ferrari offer. He repeated mistake in 1993 - he could stay in Williams but he signed for Benneton before Mansell decided to quit team.

According to Riccardo:

"I had a chance to speak with Ferrari after Kyalami in 1978. Enzo Ferrari wanted to meet with me and we discussed driving with Ferrari for 1979. I signed an agreement with them for 1979 which they could withdraw from if they did not want me to drive. At the time Gilles Villeneuve was not going to well, but at the end of the year he won the Canadian GP and Ferrari signed him. Enzo Ferrari said there was no space in the team for 1979 but that they wanted me if a space became available.

Bernie Ecclestone contacted me in 1978 about joining Brabham in 1979 but I said no because there was hope of joining Ferrari, but at the end of 1981 Bernie asked again. I had no contact from Ferrari and so joined Brabham.

When Cesare Fiorio was Sporting Director of Ferrari he had the idea of me joining the team but nothing came of it. My best chance to join Ferrari was in 1978. When a chance came again in 1991 Williams were too good to leave."

As for the Benetton situation:

" I think Nigel wanted to keep the team as it was in 1992, and from my point of view I was happy to stay but the problem was Nigel never gave any indication that he wanted to leave the team, even when he knew Prost had signed. I signed with Benetton because Nigel never said he would leave and Prost had signed, so I had to find another team. Fifteen days before he announced he was leaving I signed for Benetton. It was a big surprise to me. I could have made different plans if I had known he was going to America, but he didn't say anything to me. For sure I would have stayed at Williams alongside Prost if I had known. Frank Williams told me if I was able to get free I could stay with Williams, but I spoke to Alessandro Benetton and he said I was too important to their programme so I kept my word and my contract with Benetton."

#132 gdecarli

gdecarli

• 1,038 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 10:32

Originally posted by Twin Window
[Just to say that it's great to see the worth of getting the archives unlocked... :up: ]

True, great! :clap: :clap:
In this particular case we had to start a new thread, Almost Moves -2, where there are much more posts. Maybe you can merge them?

Ciao,
Guido

#133 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 11:10

Maybe you can merge them?

Ciao, Guido :up:

#134 Boli-Nica

Boli-Nica

• 16 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 22:32

Then you have Pupo Moreno.

I don't know if this falls in this category, but he did try to qualify the Lotus at Zandvoort in 1982, his failure to qualify set him back several years, and made him less of the hot property that he was at the time.

#135 Thodore33

Thodore33

• 157 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 22:56

Originally posted by Jimmy Piget
Didier Pironi has a contract with Larrousse for 1988

Hy,

My uncle explain me that in 1987 Didier Pironi was near to make his come back in formula 1. After he tested the AGS at Le Castellet and the Ligier at Dijon, at the end of 1986, he has two choice : Ligier and McLaren. For Ligier, according to Guy (on the radio set) he was too expensive ! About McLaren, according to a french journalist, Prost doesn’t want Pironi to be his teamate… and, if my memory is right, I remember an interview of Prost on the TV set were he was very uncomfortable with the question…

Does anyone has more information about the 1987 Pironi drive ?
Thanks

#136 Milan Fistonic

Milan Fistonic

• 1,767 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 01:28

Colin Chapman talked with James Hunt about joining Lotus for the 1976 season but "he wanted a champion's money; before becoming a champion."

"I put it to James that if he'd take 40,000 pounds less we'd have some spare for two more engines, a spare tub, a test session before every race, that sort of thing. It can make a hell of a difference, you know. We could get down to it quicker and give him race-winning cars, and make him a champion. But he wasn't interested, he just wanted the money."

Brian Henton and Jim Crawford had test drives with Lotus while Bob Evans and Richard Morgan turned down the chance.

Chapman was very keen on getting Tom Pryce at Lotus saying that "I'm sure that Tom is the best bet of all the British drivers." John Player wanted a British driver in the team.

#137 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 09:05

Originally posted by Milan Fistonic

Brian Henton and Jim Crawford had test drives with Lotus while Bob Evans...

And they both raced for Lotus too, Milan. Henton in the 1975 British, Austrian and US GPs, and Crawford in the 1975 British and Italian races. Evans too ultimately raced for them in the South African and US West GPs 1976.

#138 WGD706

WGD706

• 956 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 00:44

In their latest catalog, Speedgear has a Minichamps model of Ayrton Senna in a Brabham BMW in 1983. Does anyone have any information or photos of this test session?
Warren

#139 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 08:08

If my memory serves, he tested for McLaren, Brabham and Toleman within a few days of each other shortly after the end of the 1983 season. The McLaren test was part of his prize for winning the British F3 Championship, while the other two were with a view to a seat in '84.

Piquet blocked him from joining Brabham, and he duly signed for Toleman. Senna had also tested for Williams mid-season in Donington, which was also modelled by PMA/Minichamps.

Advertisement

#140 gdecarli

gdecarli

• 1,038 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 08:28

Originally posted by WGD706
In their latest catalog, Speedgear has a Minichamps model of Ayrton Senna in a Brabham BMW in 1983. Does anyone have any information or photos of this test session?

You can find some pics and info on Ayrton Senna on board a Brabham in 1983 ??? thread ...

Ciao,
Guido

#141 WGD706

WGD706

• 956 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 08:42

Thanks...I guess i didn't put the right combination of words in the Search BB option to find that particular thread.

#142 gdecarli

gdecarli

• 1,038 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 08:49

Originally posted by WGD706
Thanks...I guess i didn't put the right combination of words in the Search BB option to find that particular thread.

I had some problems as well in finding it, but I recalled it, so I was sure to find something...

Ciao,
Guido

#143 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,503 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 21:28

I've bought some Autosports from ebay and in early 1977 there are a number of Almost Moves.

Jumper Jarier was in demand - March wanted him to replace Ribeiro when Alex was in clashing F2 events, but there was a lack of finance. So March would "almost certainly" run Alan Jones at South Africa. Jarier actually wanted the second Ligier, whilst Don Nichols wanted him to replace Zorzi at Brazil, although Alan Rees did not know about this.

Jones was to be backed by Teddy Yip, who was also going to back him in the second Ensign (which Tambay had - with Yip's backing).

A Hesketh drive was going begging for Conny Andersson, but his sponsorship only ran to the Stanley Steamer.

And Jac Nelleman bought a Penske PC3 to do a few races - Sweden, Germany and Holland for favourite.

And in a side-note Private Ear commented that Ferrari's way of stopping Fiat executives in Argentina being kidnapped was to put Reutemann in the car. Hence the Fiat stickers appearing at the Argentine GP in 1977, which was allegedly a one-off deal.

#144 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 21:40

The great days of The Comic revisited... Witty, Phillips and co. publishing everything they heard - plus the odd gap-filler! :up:

A wonderful, and sadly long-lost, era.

#145 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,503 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 21:52

Funny thing is I looked at the next issue (Feb 77) and Teddy Yip was going to fund Ron Tauranac building a Ralt for Jones.

Put it down, picked one out at random from a few months later, and the story was Teddy Yip was going to fund Ron Tauranac building a Ralt for Jones for 1978...

Wonder how history would have changed? I'm guessing not much long-term, but could Regga have been 1980 World Champ?

There was a pic of Nelleman by his new purchase. Looked like a conventional PC3 with the First National City livery minus word graphics, and a Danish flag by the cockpit.

#146 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 1,991 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 18:14

That Theodore was also linked with Jabouille (whilst he awaited the return of the Renault f1) and several Japanese drivers, Hoshino and Takahashi (or Takahara?)spring to mind. Rosberg I think was also linked in there, perhaps after rumours of him driving a Kojiima for Willi Kaushen failed to materialise.

#147 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 1,991 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 18:19

We need 30-40 car grids back in F1, Ecclestone can f**k off with his ideas about 18 cars and less being fine. Give us back pre-qualifying, and lets get the intrigue back. Will Marco Greco get into the Eurbrun, will Giorgio Francia get a run out in the Osella, how will Superhen go in the Boro... this is the stuff that excites me about F1. Alongside qualifying laps by Senna, Villeneuve and JP Montoya of course.

As Bill Hicks once said about boy bands (but I think it applies equally well to modern F1) "soul-less , ball-less suckers of Satans c**k!"

Rant ower...

#148 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,503 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 16:18

From mid-1977: Klaus Ludwig, having quit the Kauhsen F2 team through having to give up his car to Michele Leclere too often, is linked with a third Shadow for the German GP.

Also some mad rumour about Arturo Merzario building his own GP car that he has designed by rule of thumb. Shyeah, right.

#149 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,503 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 19:14

And another Autosport-prediction-that-did-not-come-true: Bruno Giacomelli is "almost certain" to drive for ATS in 1978. Apparently Gunther Schmid's purchase of March's F1CA membership meant that Bruno, who was tied in with March in F2, would come along with it.

#150 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,503 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 16:05

The main hot seat over the winter of 1977 was the Ralt/Theodore. Masahiro Hasemi tied up a deal to drive it in the first 5 races of 1978, but when the Japanese GP was canned his sponsor pulled out and the deal was nixed.

Jarier was therefore to drive it for the South American races whilst Cheever/Daly tried to get finance/superlicenses but he stayed with ATS.

Keke Rosberg, who ended up with it at Kyalami, was going to drive the Kojima. The Japanese team suffered a setback when Takahashi wrecked their car in a late 1977 test, and they did not reach agreement with the Argentinian organizers over starting money, but they were "definitely" going to be at Brazil.

The other hot seat was Ensign. Mo Nunn committed to 2 cars throughout 1978 with Clay Regazzoni, Bruno Giacomelli and Marlboro backing, but Mo was waiting for Marlboro's say-so re Bruno. In Autosport of 8 December 1977 the 2nd car was still up in the air; Nunn thought Bruno wanted an ATS seat, and he had discussed with Ron Dennis about running Cheever and Elf about running Leclere. But of course Clay, according to Mo, was "definitely staying".

In the 15 December issue there was a cheeky quote from Hans Stuck to say that Clay would be his team-mate at Shadow. In the 22 December issue Clay was off to Shadow...to be replaced by either Ickx, Ongais, Neve, Binder, Pescarolo, Jabouille, Rosberg or "even Kessel". A few weeks before Brett Lunger was favourite, but after a deal was agreed in principle Brett went off to check a position at another team and never came back.