• Please log in to reply
242 replies to this topic

#201 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,885 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 20:41

Originally posted by MCS
:lol: :lol: :lol:

No, no, no! Perhaps I should have worded my response differently! (It just seemed ironic that Beuttler's so distinctive 731 had "disappeared" - that was all).

I was merely alluding to the fact that there seems to be little real information surrounding Beuttler - as suggested earlier in the thread.

But thanks for your response Allen.

Cheers
Mark

P.S. Your Surtees TS5/TS5A update on oldracingcars.com is absolutely brilliant by the way :up: - very, very well done.
Most informative (and enjoyable).

Ah yes - typical of the Beuttler story. Sorry, I misunderstood.

And thanks for your comment on my TS5 page. It's one that has taken the longest to research and write, and has been the most interesting for me too.

I forgot to credit John Crean's son as one of my sources. I really need to get in touch with Big John too.

Allen

Advertisement

#202 MCS

MCS

• 3,549 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 20:54

Dynamite! :up:

Great, great site.

#203 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 2,674 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 12:38

March 721Xs ???? See my post on 10/10ths.

#204 MCS

MCS

• 3,549 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 19:27

Originally posted by Mallory Dan
March 721Xs ???? See my post on 10/10ths.

721Xs... :confused: Sorry Dan, not with you.

#205 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,088 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 07:58

And here is Mike getting to a stand still during practice for the 1973 Dutch GP.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#206 wolf sun

wolf sun

• 483 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 11:52

Surely no relation to Mike, but wasn´t Beuttler/Beutler also the name of a (South American?) car manufacturer? I seem to remember something along those lines...

#207 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,140 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 12:14

Originally posted by wolf sun
Surely no relation to Mike, but wasn´t Beuttler/Beutler also the name of a (South American?) car manufacturer? I seem to remember something along those lines...

I remember the Swiss firm of Beutler producing a series of nice looking cars based on the VW Beetle platform, but I don't think there was any relationship with Mike B. Is that the company you are thinking of?

#208 wolf sun

wolf sun

• 483 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 12:40

Oh yeah, thx Ian!!! :up:

#209 phinorman

phinorman

• 174 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 18:45

:) ;) Hello all readers !

I send you some news of my project about Mike Beuttler's book :

I have met his sister, his brother, Bob Sparshott and Alasatir Guthrie's wife ; I have many unpublished photos for my book.

You'll see these photos with many unknown informations about Mike in my book.

Next stages : interview of David Mordaunt, John Woodington. I hope to interview Niki Lauda, Max Mosley and Robin Herd and others actors of this period (drivers, journalists, mechanics, spectators, fans).

I'm searching photos of Paulenco Racing March 74 S of Mike at Brands-Hatch 1000 kilometers or of the second car or at another race.

See you later by Internet.

With best regards from Philippe Vogel ;)

#210 Penword

Penword

• 46 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 19:15

So why did he retire from F1 after 73? Was it Cevert's death?

#211 Penword

Penword

• 46 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 19:56

How's this for coincidence? Not 20 minutes after I finished reading this thread I was thumbing through the May 16, 1974 issue of Autosport, in which a certain Bob Constanduros (wonder whatever became of him...) in his 'Tune in' feature profiled a company called B and S Fabrications.

In addition to running B and S the principals -- Bob Sparshott and John Woodington -- operated Space Racing, which looked after the 'Stockbroker Special' F1 Marches driven by Beuttler between 1971-73. In 1973 Space also housed the Hesketh March in its premises, and through that affiliation, B and S took on fabrication work for the first Hesketh F1 car.

As Constanduros describes it in the article, "...the men from B and S had mentioned to Ralph Clarke that they would be doing much of the work on the F1 Hesketh and that perhaps he could do worse than to buy one. However, what with the fact that the car was entirely new and could go either way, good or bad, and the subsequent collapse of the Stock Exchange, the Stock Broker Special was not going to make its presence felt in the 1974 season."

So, I guess one could infer that, had the stars aligned properly, we may have seen Mike Beuttler in a bright yellow Hesketh in the 1974 season...

The article also points out, when referring to the 1973 campaign, "Space's own season was almost the most successful of the venture. Mike Beuttler had seven finishes out of 15 starts of which the best was a seventh place. A point that is worth mentioning is that he was never headed by the works, who were classified as finishers twice in the season."

#212 MCS

MCS

• 3,549 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 20:15

Originally posted by Penword
..."...the men from B and S had mentioned to Ralph Clarke that they would be doing much of the work on the F1 Hesketh and that perhaps he could do worse than to buy one. However, what with the fact that the car was entirely new and could go either way, good or bad, and the subsequent collapse of the Stock Exchange, the Stock Broker Special was not going to make its presence felt in the 1974 season."

So, I guess one could infer that, had the stars aligned properly, we may have seen Mike Beuttler in a bright yellow Hesketh in the 1974 season...

The article also points out, when referring to the 1973 campaign, "Space's own season was almost the most successful of the venture. Mike Beuttler had seven finishes out of 15 starts of which the best was a seventh place. A point that is worth mentioning is that he was never headed by the works, who were classified as finishers twice in the season."

This is marvellous stuff, Penword :lol:

A bright yellow Hesketh :rotfl: Great. :up:

#213 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 20:25

Originally posted by Penword

Not 20 minutes after I finished reading this thread I was thumbing through the May 16, 1974 issue of Autosport, in which a certain Bob Constanduros (wonder whatever became of him...)

These days, Bob is the English language voice you hear over the PA system at each and every F1 race.

#214 phinorman

phinorman

• 174 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 21:05

:) Hello all readers !

Some news about my project of book about Mike Beuttler

1 > David Mordaunt was contacted

2 > Next contacts to envisage > Graham Warner / Malcom Guthrie / Max Mosley / Robin Herd

3 > Photos > plenty ot them will be unpublished

4 > almost all of the statistics boards are finished

5 > all chapters have been begun

I need photos and informations about Mike's F3 race in beginning of 1971 driving a Chevron in one of Brazilian F3 temporada races in january (10 / 17 / 25 at Sao Paulo and 31 at Porto Allegre)

I try to contact british driver John Spero ; do you know apossibility to contact him ?

I try photos about SPACE Racing and Peter Bloore Racing trucks.

Many thanks for your help from Philippe Vogel (near Rouen in France)

See you soon with my best regards. :)

#215 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 21:10

I can help you in contacting Robin Herd, and probably Max Mosely too.

Please email me with your contact details.

#216 tomkatf

tomkatf

• 32 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 22:54

Philippe,

I'm not sure that this will help but a number of years ago, while searching out the history of Peter Hanson's Chevron B-17
(F3-70-1), I contacted Jurg Dubler. Mr. Dubler was very helpful and in particular sent along some interesting recollections of racing against Peter in the F3 Temporada series in 1970. I believe MB also raced in this series in 1970 and I think you'll find Mr. Dubler helpful...he may have also raced against MB in the 1971 series. I ran across this site:

Jurg Dubler

Hope this Helps...

Best,
Tom

#217 GeorgeTheCar

GeorgeTheCar

• 376 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 00:17

Originally posted by Doug Nye

Funny - I'm not particularly a Gilles Villeneuve fan - and never was in period - but could have sworn that in the Spanish and Monaco GPs both I saw the finest and most memorably intelligent process of race-distance blocking in Grand Prix history.

DCN

On the subject of Gilles Villeneuve and the Spanish race, he was most certainly not the fastest in the corner and then got caught up at the end of the straight. In fact it was the reverse.

I still have in front of me a picture of Gilles and Nigel Roebuck's quote from the race report of, I believe, Monaco. It applied equally at Jarama.

"The Ferarri's handlilng was desperately bad. The acceleration remarkable. Containing one and exploiting the other required genius. Beyond doubt, Gilles Villeneuve is now a truly great racing driver."

I have to admit being a fan. But i saw him grow from a wild man on snowmobiles into Formula Ford, into an astounding year in Formula Atlantic where he was beaten but once, and then by a failing engine, not another driver. Keke Rosberg's comments about Gilles being hard but fair reveal more about him than anything I could say. He would never give an extra inch but but he always gave you the inch.

A young Canadian, James Hinchcliffe was quoted this summer after a pass by a competitor. "I gave him enough room for his car and a coat of paint. He still got through". I will be watching and you should too! He will be in Atlantic this year.

#218 phinorman

phinorman

• 174 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 05:33

:) Dear Tom !

Many thanks for this idea. I'll contact Jurg Dubler and I'll say you the result of it.

See you soon with my best regards. Philippe Vogel :)

#219 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,589 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 22:45

Looking through an old programme for the 1963 Brands Hatch International Meeting, August 5 1963, I see that M Beuttler is listed as secretary of the meeting. This was the Guards International Trophy meeting where Penske turned up in the Cooper-Zerex Special, aka FUBAR. Fantastic field for the race.

Just thought I would mention it

Roger Lund.

Advertisement

#220 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,887 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 19:20

Originally posted by David McKinney
Beuttler once raced a historic Lago-Talbot GP car that Clark owned. I'm fairly sure it was entered by 'Hon Alan Clark' but someone with access to 1971 race programmes would have a better idea

I've just bought a small bundle of VSCC programmes on EBay

Thruxton Sept 11 1971

Race 5 Historic Racing Cars.
23. Hon. A. Clark (M. Beuttler) Talbot Lago 1949 .

Don't know how he got on...

#221 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 19:43

Don't think he started
Bill Wilks (Lotus 16) won - by half a second from Colin Crabbe's Mercedes-Benz W125

#222 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,887 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 19:49

Originally posted by David McKinney
Don't think he started
Bill Wilks (Lotus 16) won - by half a second from Colin Crabbe's Mercedes-Benz W125

Must have given Bill a buzz.
There should be a thread about Crabbe's outings in that car. I can't believe I allowed myself to miss them...

Did Beuttler never actually race the Talbot Lago, then?

#223 roger saretzki

roger saretzki

• 80 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 19:56

i have a fantastic photo of mike taken 1968 at hockenheim if somebody like i can mail it .

rogerracing@web.de

#224 phinorman

phinorman

• 174 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 20:40

Hell ;) all readers !

My project of book about Mike Beuttler is progressing : 45 pages written in A4 Word format. It's a long, long way off...

Contacts are so progessing with people who had around Mike in his career.

I'm in need of :

>>> contacts with John Spero, Nick Gold.

>>> testimonies of fans, journalists, photographs...

>>> pics of Mike in Gemini Formula Junior and all pics about him

>>> articles.

>>> pics about SPACE RACING truck.

Many thanks.

With my best regards.

Philippe Vogel

:)

#225 phinorman

phinorman

• 174 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 11:25

Hi to all readers !

My book is near the end of his writing but I'm not sure about many informations. Can you help me ?

1 > I don't think that Mike Beuttler had raced between 1965 and 1967 ; for me the first F3 race was in the end of 1967.

2 > In this forum, it was written that Mike had tested a P201 BRM. Is it really right ?

3 > Paulenco racing seems to be a portuguese team. Right or false ?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

All personal photos are welcomed.

Phinorman / Philippe Vogel

#226 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,470 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 12:30

Roebuck is not responsible for the prurient interest in Mike Beuttler in this thread, the contributors are - Roebuck declined to mention the subject. You may infer that Beuttler was in F1 solely because he was being sponsored by his boyfriend, but Nigel couldn't possibly comment!

Weren't Beuttler's cars prepared by the one and only Bob Sparshott? I seem to remember being in Bob's workshop discussing the March and Beuttler's progress (Incidentally, Bob pronounced it Boytler).

Actually, I think Bob Sparshott deserves a thread of his own - he really has been there and done that!

#227 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 15:16

Originally posted by Bloggsworth
(Incidentally, Bob pronounced it Boytler)

Thanks for that, Bloggers

Phinorman - is that how the family pronounce it?

#228 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,470 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 15:28

Phinorman,

It might be worth you having a chat with Bob Sparshott, if you can get him off the golf course.

#229 phinorman

phinorman

• 174 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 16:50

Hi !

I have met twice Bob Sparshott in England ; a chapter of my book is devoted to him and John woodington and mechanics of each car of Mike. In 1973, one of Space Racing mechanic was Tony ????? with Dave White. Can you helpme to refind his name ? Thanks in advance.

Phinorman is a Internet pseudo.

Phinorman from near les Essarts ex track.

#230 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,031 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 17:18

Originally posted by phinorman
Phinorman is a Internet pseudo.

Phinorman from near les Essarts ex track.

Philippe

I think David meant the correct pronunciation of BEUTTLER. What is the correct way to say it??

#231 phinorman

phinorman

• 174 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 20:07

Hi Hieronimus !

I can say that the right pronounciation is Boytler (according to his siter taht I have met).

Phinorman

#232 MCS

MCS

• 3,549 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 20:18

Ah well, so much for some of our opinions then. Thanks Phinorman.

#233 lustigson

lustigson

• 4,770 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 11:19

Originally posted by Richie Jenkins
Gay, transexual, alien, it doesn't matter really, although Beuttler was hardly the greatest driver in the history of the sport, but he was a damn hard trier & deserves credit for that.

Amen to that. Buettler could even be considered the best privateer racer in 1972, according to my Independents' (nee Privateers') Trophy treads.

#234 briggsy

briggsy

• 10 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 12:49

Mike drove as part of the 5 /6 car works F2 team in 1971. Mike,Peterson,Lauda,Jaussad,Jarier and a sixth car for Hunt ,Ganley at some events. His sponsors all contributed to the budget by paying for various items , one paid for engines another for tyres etc. Mike did a good profesional job and his mechanic in 1971 ,who had started out in the March build shop, was John Greaves who went on to run the composite department at Activa.
On a different note Ronnies sponsor VICK was renamed from SMOG at the end of 1970.

#235 phinorman

phinorman

• 174 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 19:42

Hi,

Thanks for your precisions about Mike in 1971 ; I have contacted Jon Greaves by phone.

With my best regards !

Phinorman

#236 phinorman

phinorman

• 174 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 05:33

Hi all readers !

It's the end of the writing of PRIVE DE GLOIRE about Mike Beuttler.

But I'm ready to receipt all the informations and photos about him before the end of february.

The book will be published between june and september 2008 first in french and in english after his translation.

To be patient...

Philippe Vogel from France

#237 lil'chris

lil'chris

• 512 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 00:10

Looking forward to reading it ( en anglais ! ) Philippe :up:

#238 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 3,294 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 20:31

Is there any news on the publication of Mike Beuttler's book?
I'd like to read it if it actually gets published.

btw: Via google I came across the following link with several Mike Beuttler pictures:
http://jonathangreaves.com/page6.htm
One photo also show Mike with his girlfriend Anne Lemercier; so he did have an interest in women as well.

#239 phinorman

phinorman

• 174 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 19:24

Hi William,

I'm the author and publisher of Privé de gloire about Mike Beuttler in french language (I'm not able to say if an english translation will be available...).

The book is available directly near me with Paypal payment (75€ + 17,50€ postage cost).

Now 190/260 books have been a owner.

I'll be as author and driver at Reims for the third Week-end de l'Excellence (Opel Speedster STP) (26/27 september 2009).

With my best regards.

Philippe Vogel from France

Is there any news on the publication of Mike Beuttler's book?
I'd like to read it if it actually gets published.

btw: Via google I came across the following link with several Mike Beuttler pictures:
http://jonathangreaves.com/page6.htm
One photo also show Mike with his girlfriend Anne Lemercier; so he did have an interest in women as well.

Advertisement

#240 Tony Lethbridge

Tony Lethbridge

• 143 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 20:23

To bring this thread back to Mike.. here are a couple I took of him.

Posted Image
After practice 1972 British GP, Brands Hatch (poor quality :cry: )

Posted Image
1973 British GP at Silverstone in the CMGD March 731

Does anyone know who the guy in the STP jacket smoking the cigarette is ? I took a similar photo of the March transporter the following day and he is in it. Is it one of Mike's stockbroker backers? Any help would be much appreciated

#241 john winfield

john winfield

• 1,038 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 21:39

Does anyone know who the guy in the STP jacket smoking the cigarette is ? I took a similar photo of the March transporter the following day and he is in it. Is it one of Mike's stockbroker backers? Any help would be much appreciated

I wonder if it's Pete Briggs.

#242 Tony Lethbridge

Tony Lethbridge

• 143 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:11

I wonder if it's Pete Briggs.

Many thanks

#243 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,408 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:42

Pete posted here for a little while (as briggsy) but hasn't been seen since 2008, sadly.