Photo

THe Hesketh seahorse

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BANZI

BANZI

• 12 posts

Posted 01 August 2002 - 21:04

As a new member this is a question that has puzzled me for years. What was behind the Seahorse logo that used to adorn the Hesketh Grand Prix car during the 75 season?
Any clues anyone?

Advertisement

#2 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,006 posts

Posted 02 August 2002 - 10:54

I understand it was some sort of sponsorship with F3 team Ippokampos Racing (hippocampus = scientific name for sea-horse (literally 'horse-sea')). Ippokampos' finest hour, IIRC, was winning Monaco F3 in 1974 with Tom Pryce (whose entry in the Token for the GP was refused. Yet they allowed in von Opel...). Albeit they had to drop a paying driver - Buzz Barton? Someone american I think.

#3 BANZI

BANZI

• 12 posts

Posted 02 August 2002 - 15:06

Thanks for the info ensing14, i was worried that my first post had fallen on deaf ears to the font of knowledge.

#4 Carlos Jalife

Carlos Jalife

• 322 posts

Posted 03 August 2002 - 16:28

Yes it was Ippokampos, the "official Brabham F3 team" in 1973 when Johnny Gerber, the mexican who won the Brands World FF championship signed with them . They had this logo made and then they wanted to go on to better things. I don't remember where but I heard they were friends with Bubbles Horsley from his lower formulae days and that's why they set a deal to have the logo in the F1 car. Iyt seems Bubbles knew that the end was coming and he was trying to find some money to keep the team afloat -enter the sea horse- but later Lord Hesketh told him it was no problem, he had sponsorship for the next year and at the end of 1975 he just called it quits and Bubbles had no time to go after sponsorship that late in the season.

#5 Graham Clayton

Graham Clayton

• 1,362 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:15

I understand it was some sort of sponsorship with F3 team Ippokampos Racing (hippocampus = scientific name for sea-horse (literally 'horse-sea')). Ippokampos' finest hour, IIRC, was winning Monaco F3 in 1974 with Tom Pryce (whose entry in the Token for the GP was refused. Yet they allowed in von Opel...). Albeit they had to drop a paying driver - Buzz Barton? Someone american I think.

Ensign14,

Australian Buzz Buzaglo was the driver who was released from Ippokampos Racing to allow Tom Pryce to race and win at Monaco.

#6 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,401 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:35

Ensign14,

Australian Buzz Buzaglo was the driver who was released from Ippokampos Racing to allow Tom Pryce to race and win at Monaco.

I remember Buzz, great bloke but not in the same class as Pryce, but then, few were. He was the doorman at the Revolution Club just off Berkley Square when he was racing in FF, this allowed other FF drivers free entry, and as one of the car-parker's was FF/F3 racer, Paul Rendle, whose sister worked there, the odd free steak sandwich was also occasionally available.

Buzz was an Australian on a European tour when he bumped into the film Grand Prix in production in Monaco and talked himself into driving one of the decorated FF cars and was hooked.