Photo

World sport cars championship rules

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Stephane Lebiez

Stephane Lebiez

• 82 posts

Posted 10 August 2002 - 19:32

I'm searching rules for world sports cars championship between 1953 and 1992 (points, how many results , etc...)
Is anybody can help me ? (i have all race's results and final table, i want just the exact rules)

Advertisement

#2 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,863 posts

Posted 10 August 2002 - 21:16

Stephane: these regulations were published each year in the FIA Yellow Books. I have copies of the 1972 and 1975 editions - other TNF members also have copies for other years. I can scan and email the relevant pages if you would like me to.

#3 Stephane Lebiez

Stephane Lebiez

• 82 posts

Posted 10 August 2002 - 21:28

Fantastic, i'm waiting your mail

#4 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,508 posts

Posted 11 August 2002 - 21:19

THe regulations for 1955, announced in 1954 were: 8 points for a win down to 1 point for 6th, (no point for fastest lap). For each make only the car in the best position to count. Eight races were nominated (Buenos Aires, Sebring, Mille Miglia, Le Mans, Nurburgring, TT, Targa Florio, Pan-America), best four to count. In the event that races were cancelled leaving an odd number. the next highest number above half the total would be considered. Races must have a minimum distance of 1000km.

#5 Charles Helps

Charles Helps

• 383 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 19:34

Doea anyone know whether there was a regulation in the fifties requiring cars entered to [appear to] be road registered? I am wondering whether this is why Lotus for example re-used registration numbers such as 9 EHX (Mk IX and XI) and DEC 494 (several Lotus Elevens) when in at least one case the original car carrying the number was still running on the road in the UK using the same number.

#6 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,705 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 21:12

There was no specific championship requirement for cars to be road registered but some race organisers required it.
The regulations (Appendix C of the International Sporting Code) required cars to be vaguely street legal with lights, horns, etc. But as laws vary from country to country they couldn't require them to be street legal.

Points are a nightmare. There were seven different championships over the years 1953-92, each with different scoring systems. Generally only the highest placed car of a marque scored points and most years there was a best x from y scores to count, but this was something like y/2, y/2 +1 ( y even) and y/2 +1/2 (y odd).

In 1981 a drivers' championship was introduced.

Sometimes class results counted, sometimes overall, sometimes a hybrid.

They are all given in Peter Higham's International Motor Racing Guide and I'm sure in other books and maybe on a website or two..

All very complicated.