Teaching a New Dog Old Tricks!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Matthew Norton

Matthew Norton

• 36 posts

Posted 02 September 2002 - 11:06

:wave:

Joined today after coming across atlas site on a search engine. Looks like an excellent forum with many knowledgeable experts/enthusiasts. Hopefully I can learn something even if I never start a thread!

As I wasn't even born when any of these cars were racing I feel a little out of my depth on this forum. However, if anyone can give me a few pointers or suggest particularly good reading material for the late 1950's cars (Lister/Masserati/Connaught) I might be able to catch up a little. Any comments or opinions would be great!

Thanks in advance!

Matt.

Advertisement

#2 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,459 posts

Posted 02 September 2002 - 11:43

A warm welcome Matthew!

Try here to get started:

http://www.ddavid.co...rmula1/conn.htm

http://8w.forix.com/what.html

Vanwall

#3 KJJ

KJJ

• 702 posts

Posted 02 September 2002 - 11:45

As a new boy myself I'd suggest "Grand Prix Cars 1945-65" by Mike Lawrence. I take it you've already got "Archie and the Listers" by Robert Edwards.

Now I'm off before the big boys come and squash me!

#4 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,769 posts

Posted 02 September 2002 - 12:53

Welcome Matthew - no doubt the "Archie Fan Club" will be along to greet you soon! He has several admirers around here .... as you'll find if you investigate the BB Search feature!

Another book to consider would be David Hodges' A-Z of Formula Racing Cars, if you don't already have it. Available in paperback and very reasonably priced.

'Ere KJJ, when's anybody ever squashed you? Just you tell me and I'll go beat 'em up for you!! :lol:

#5 Matthew Norton

Matthew Norton

• 36 posts

Posted 02 September 2002 - 14:31

Thanks for the warm welcome, and suggestions. Nice to get a reply so soon!

Matt.

#6 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 15 September 2002 - 22:19

Originally posted by Matthew Norton
:wave:

Joined today after coming across atlas site on a search engine. Looks like an excellent forum with many knowledgeable experts/enthusiasts. Hopefully I can learn something even if I never start a thread!

As I wasn't even born when any of these cars were racing I feel a little out of my depth on this forum. However, if anyone can give me a few pointers or suggest particularly good reading material for the late 1950's cars (Lister/Masserati/Connaught) I might be able to catch up a little. Any comments or opinions would be great!

Thanks in advance!

Matt.

:eek: Mmm...recognise the quote in the sig, if not the "name" of the poster. I think I shall address you as Craig instead. :p

I suggest you borrow some more books from your father-in-law. "Archie and the Listers" was an excellent start. I think "Alf Francis, Racing Mechanic" should be next on your reading list.

#7 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,704 posts

Posted 15 September 2002 - 23:00

Please don' t forget ' Niki Lauda and the Grand Prix Gladiators ' when considering essential racing material :rotfl: C'mon guys, if we can debate about how a Kangaroo has a slash, we can also debate THE worst ever book on motor sport.

#8 Matthew Norton

Matthew Norton

• 36 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 07:57

David,

You know my father in law!? Small world!! :lol: I still have his Archie book actually but will have a look through his collection when I visit next.
Funny you should recognise my quote in the sig. Can't remember where I've used it before, unless you've seen some emails to Joanne's parents!

Still thanks for the reply, better go as its getting a little OT. See you around I guess? Maybe at the next family party!! :drunk:

Matt.

#9 Matthew Norton

Matthew Norton

• 36 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 08:01

Littlechris,

Can't find the thread on how a Kangaroo takes a slash!?;)

Should I use the search function? :)

Matt.

#10 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,769 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 08:20

http://www.atlasf1.c...hlight=kangaroo

:)