Photo

Goodwood September 2002

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 VAR1016

VAR1016

• 2,826 posts

Posted 08 September 2002 - 10:56

I think that this rightly belongs on this forum.

I was there on Friday for the practice day, which was very good indeed; the weather behaved itself for most of the day - and indeed the changing track conditions made for some interesting sights. The spectacle of a rather twitchy D-Type being driven through the whole of Lavant in a four-wheel drift will stay with me for a long time.

There was much admiration for Barry Sheene looking very quick on a Manx Norton in the company of the likes of Wayne Gardner.

Sadly the D50 did not turn up until yesterday, but my spies at the track telephoned the splendid noise to me as Willie Green blasted past. He managed a time of 1' 34". I expect that he'll be quicker in the race.

Julian Mazjub apparently very impressive in the Alfa-Romeo 308 GP car featured here recently. (He finished third in his race).

The speed of some of the old cars is mighty impressive: the 1100cc Formula Junior cars were in the 1' 29s - that is very quick in my view. What do those engines develop - 130 HP perhaps?

And Perry McCarthy in an Austin A40 - 1' 49" - that's going too!

The evening race was something not to be missed by all accounts. So of course, I missed it.

On the first lap a C-type Jag went through the chicane backwards. And a fabulous performance by a Frenchman whose name escapes me, in a Tojeiro Bristol. Mighty impressive in practice, he was lifting a front wheel with the tail out at the entrance to St Marys. His time? about 1' 39. Sadly his weekend came to an end when the rear suspension cried enough at Madgwick during the race, fortunately without any injury to the driver.

Glorious Goodwood :up:

PdeRL :smoking:

Advertisement

#2 Eric McLoughlin

Eric McLoughlin

• 1,623 posts

Posted 08 September 2002 - 17:37

Was there Friday - survived the few squalls, enjoyed the spectacle and came away as satisfied as ever, if a little sunburnt and wind blown. Also went Saturday but spent so long in the paddock, managed not to see any of the races! I'll catch up with the races when the video is released in a few months. Highlight of the week-end? Being almost mown down by Barry Sheene.

#3 Garagiste

Garagiste

• 3,799 posts

Posted 09 September 2002 - 14:48

Was there all weekend, big cheers for Barry Sheene :up:
Darren Manning walked away with both parts of the restarted last race, (for GT40s and similar) hope this bodes well for CART at RMS.
Tony Dron hunting down and passing :evil: ;) the leading D type in the RAC TT was superb.
It tried to rain on a few occasions, but the sun came right back out each time.
The sounds, smells and especially the access to cars and stars are simply awesome.
Roll on next year, it took one visit on the Sunday last year to convince me never to miss it again.

#4 Bumblyari

Bumblyari

• 160 posts

Posted 09 September 2002 - 15:59

One thing that struck me listening to the commentary on the last race was that if Brian Redman ever wrote an autobiography, wouldn't it make interesting reading ?

#5 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 09 September 2002 - 16:41

Originally posted by Bumblyari
One thing that struck me listening to the commentary on the last race was that if Brian Redman ever wrote an autobiography, wouldn't it make interesting reading ?

YES!!!!

That's something I'd pay very good money for.

#6 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 09 September 2002 - 20:23

This year I was present on Saturday and Sunday (last year’s Sunday only dosage was insufficient)

Being there on Saturday meant that my ears were treated to the Lancia D50 blasting out of the chicane.
The same ears enjoyed the flat bark of Manx Nortons both in the rear of the 500 cars and under the twistgrip control of Mr Sheene. What a show he gave us…and how it was appreciated by a crowd that wasn’t obviously bike orientated.

Generally these days I admire machinery rather more than the lucky pilots….but I have to admit some that drivers stand out as something special at historic meetings: people like Willy Green, Duncan Dayton, Martin Stretton. However, (and please excuse my ignorance) I’m afraid I had previously been unaware of the skills of Peter Hardman. His display of Aston Martin control through Woodcote in the Sussex Trophy was one of the most memorable sights of the meeting, in my opinion!

I met up with the excellent Mr Clark from these parts. And my wife got some bloke called Moss to sign our programme.
Super event.

A paddock shot…..

Posted Image

#7 VAR1016

VAR1016

• 2,826 posts

Posted 09 September 2002 - 20:42

[QUOTE]Originally posted by David Beard
This year I was present on Saturday and Sunday (last year’s Sunday only dosage was insufficient)

However, (and please excuse my ignorance) I’m afraid I had previously been unaware of the skills of Peter Hardman. His display of Aston Martin control through Woodcote in the Sussex Trophy was one of the most memorable sights of the meeting, in my opinion!

Ah yes! Peter Hardman gives very good value; I believe that he has many fans these days.

It was unfortunate that the Aston Martin was not in its usual rude health this year, seeming to have an incurable misfire throughout the meeting.

He was also very good in the red 250LM I thought.

#8 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,535 posts

Posted 10 September 2002 - 20:38

Just in case it's of any interest - the Lancia D50 suffered a piston failure during practice - Psodt's Law - Willie Green's GT40 broke a UJ at the start of the final event - the crushed and collapsed Ferrari 275LM on the entry to St Mary's which stopped that race had been purchased only quite recently by its perhaps over-ambitious owner/driver for more than $2-million - Desire Wilson was finally sidelined only by electrical failure in John Pearson's Cooper-Jaguar after a thrilling charge up the leaderboard in the 90-minute day into dusk race - Patrick Tambay was distinctly unimpressed by "Monsieur Styner's" track manners in Sir Anthony Bamford's lowdrag E-Type variant in the TT Celebration race, but he and Henri Pescarolo ran out popular winners in Robert Sarrailh's Cobra Roadster hardtop after the hardest-fought TT Celeb we've ever had - and we counted all the drivers out and we we counted them all back after the last event on Sunday evening with nobody hurt and everybody more or less happy...which is ALWAYS such a relief.

I understand there's a one-hour Channel 4 TV special due on British telly next weekend (I theeeenk) and there's a total of three hours mainly race coverage due in two 90-minute specials on southern area UK TV - Meridian area - over the next couple of weekends.

DCN

#9 VAR1016

VAR1016

• 2,826 posts

Posted 10 September 2002 - 20:46

Ah yes the yellow 250LM. This was the one that Adrian Hamilton had a while back whilst I was waiting for the lottery win that still hasn't happened. I had guessed abouit a million and a half.

Well of course the first damage was done on Friday and the mechanics were desperately taping it up etc. on Friday evening.

My friends were hovering in the paddock on Saturday and overheard a conversation between a mechanic and a gentleman in racing overalls thus: "If you crash it again, don't come back here - just keep walking".

And he crashed it again - properly this time by all accounts

#10 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,509 posts

Posted 10 September 2002 - 22:57

Originally posted by Doug Nye
Patrick Tambay was distinctly unimpressed by "Monsieur Styner's" track manners
DCN

He wasn't the only one. There was an incident in (I think) the Glover Trophy which left Mr Sytner's opponent distinctly unimpressed. I was always a fan of Tambays smooth but fast driving style during his professional career and his driving of the Cobra suggested he has lost little of his touch.

Every year I go prepared to find the emphasis on recreating the past and the fancy dress too much, and every year I come away thinking they got it just right again. I stillcan't watch the start of a race from Madgwick Corner without a lump in my throat.

Barry Sheene got a standing ovation on his warm-up lap, his slowong down lap and when he returned to the paddock. As far as I could tell this was completely spontaneous, no need for exhortations from the commentators.

If I may make one minor gripe; is it necessary to start racing on sunday at 10 past 9? formula Juniors are always entertaining but it was impossible to have any breakfast in the hotel where I was staying and arrive in time for their race. Racing on Saturday didn't start until 3:30. Could they have started racing earlier on Saturday and later on Sunday?

#11 Criceto

Criceto

• 201 posts

Posted 11 September 2002 - 00:37

Breakfast in the hotel, Roger? Hotel?

Three consecutive day-trips from London and back for me - being at the circuit by 7AM each morning, and then breakfast in the Spitfire Cafe, surrounded by the sound of Merlins and Allisons warming up. We've done it that way for the past four years, and it's starting to slip into the mode of a delicious routine.

You're quite right about the Glover Trophy incident with Frank Sytner. The only thing was that it was actually in qualifying that he did the damage. Damage which left his car with a time-bomb in its differential, so a certain poetic justice seems to have been done. The precise quote which floated across the paddock from the aggrieved second party was, "Frank's an idiot. He has no consideration for anyone else on the circuit." Having been with Julian Bronson on an occasion when he and Frank have had a little debrief at a VSCC meeting, and talking to Dudley Mason-Styrron about damage done to his beautiful 300S Maser, I get the distinct impression that there is a pattern forming....

I think the key thing with Goodwood Revival is that it's the only race meeting of the year I can take my father to. He's just not interested in any other event. But he's so thoroughly taken back in time to the days when he and his father used to roll up in the four-and-a-half Bentley for a morning's BARC scrutineering duties, and an afternoon's racing, that he is a willing return visitor every year. It's "right" in a way that no other historic meeting has managed.

#12 Eric McLoughlin

Eric McLoughlin

• 1,623 posts

Posted 12 September 2002 - 09:09

Sytner got lambasted by Ean Pugh on Friday for an incident during the Glover Trophy free practice session which put Pugh off the road. Sytner's car seemed to have technical problems all through qualifying on Saturday as well.

Does anyone know why the Hawker Hunter T7 display on Friday was so short? It lasted all of 30 seconds (two flypasts and back to Kemble).

#13 VAR1016

VAR1016

• 2,826 posts

Posted 12 September 2002 - 09:20

Originally posted by Eric McLoughlin
Sytner got lambasted by Ean Pugh on Friday for an incident during the Glover Trophy free practice session which put Pugh off the road. Sytner's car seemed to have technical problems all through qualifying on Saturday as well.

Does anyone know why the Hawker Hunter T7 display on Friday was so short? It lasted all of 30 seconds (two flypasts and back to Kemble).

Hawker Hunter?

I never saw it (or even heard it) - I must have been drinking SPITFIRE Ale in a beer tent!