Photo

Bellof - Spa 1985, footage by John Nichols?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Lutz G

Lutz G

• 369 posts

Posted 15 September 2002 - 23:36

There is in car footage from Ickx's car that show his crash with Stefan Bellof - but a film by John Nichols
should show the *whole* incident.

http://www.izdebski....e/das_ende.html

The text says:
"Stefan and Ickx took their cars after a pit stop from their team mates. Ickx managed to return to the track with an advantage of 5 secs to Bellof on the Brun Porsche. Within shortest time the faster Bellof closed up on the works Porsche. Ickx blocked Stefan for three laps by all means. After La Source he suddenly rushed to the right (see drawing), a clear invitation to overtake. Stefan took it and was already besides Ickx when he (Ickx) pulled left into Eau Rouge and pushed Bellof away."

The author (Rudi Izdebski) saw the accident from the pits with his own eyes. He told me about the John Nichols Film. Porsche bought the rights for this footage and locked the film somewhere in their archive, Rudi told me. But they allowed a reporter from the german newspaper "AZ" to have a look at it. He agreed with Rudi's point of view after watching it.

Does anybody else (perhaps from TNF?) had a look at this footage? Does Porsche got the only copy or is there somewhere (perhaps John Nichols still owns a copy?) another one?

Advertisement

#2 BMW FW22

BMW FW22

• 1,127 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 10:41

absolute fantastic site !

#3 stavelot

stavelot

• 80 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 18:29

This report suggest that the Ickx' intention was to push out poor Bellof.

I can't agree with this explanation.

Ickx could also die after this huge crash. He could know the danger of Eau Rouge!

#4 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,488 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 18:43

Izdebski's report condemns Ickx strongly for ignoring blue flags. However, he doesn't mention if Ickx was about to be lapped. Was this the case or not?

#5 alain_sl

alain_sl

• 73 posts

Posted 17 September 2002 - 02:35

I am not specially a great fan of Ickx (except for 1984-86 Paris-Dakar races), but to be fair, I think there is an important point that has been omitted. At the exit of la Source, there was a backmaker in front of Ickx (I can not recall who it was, a Tiga or Spice or someone else) . Ickx pass him on the right side of the track, then went back to the left just like he should have been there if there was not that backmaker. As he was approaching Eau Rouge (and then only), he went on the right again. But I think, it was not to give Bellof enough room to pass him. Ickx was just following the racing line. It happened that Bellof took the inside of the corner. I have never been inside a 956 ( :cry: ) and I can not realize what is the visibility from inside the cockpit. I just believe Ickx did not think Bellof was possibly there, on his left. And sadly, the accident happened.
Just would like to point out that if Ickx 'rushed to the right' after exiting la Source, it was to pass a backmaker and not to invit Bellof to overtake him.
Alain

#6 Lutz G

Lutz G

• 369 posts

Posted 17 September 2002 - 12:21

Originally posted by alain_sl
I am not specially a great fan of Ickx (except for 1984-86 Paris-Dakar races), but to be fair, I think there is an important point that has been omitted.

(...)

Just would like to point out that if Ickx 'rushed to the right' after exiting la Source, it was to pass a backmaker and not to invit Bellof to overtake him.
Alain

I didn't see the accident with my own eyes (like Rudi did) so I don't want to comment in this thread on who is "guilty" or not. I just want to know if this footage by John Nichols (which shows the whole story - so everbody could see what happened) is locked in the Porsche archives for another 20 years or if there might exist somewhere a copy. BTW: Who is John Nichols? Perhaps someone can tell my how to contact him?

#7 rallen

rallen

• 555 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 20:49

Found this thread after searching for Bellof and Brundle - fascinating but can't get my head round it. Is it acknowledged that this film does exist or is it an urban myth? Also why would Porsche by the rights and then lock it up - surely the damage to their reputation was that Bellof was killed full stop.

Did Ickx have a reputation as a dirty/hard driver? - he was way before my time but seemed like a gentleman to me and I can't see it.

#8 HeskethBoy

HeskethBoy

• 58 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 00:50

Izdebski's report condemns Ickx strongly for ignoring blue flags. However, he doesn't mention if Ickx was about to be lapped. Was this the case or not?

Who can recall what was the Blue Flag rule in those days?
Was it strictly enforced that it be shown only to cars about to be lapped?
Or did flag marshals have free reign to wave it at whatever they thought was an overtaking move? This is how I (vaguely) remember it being at that time.

Ickx did not have a reputation for ruthless driving, and his knowledge of that track and those cars would rule out any deliberate move to push another car off at that spot.

Was the blue flag being waved at the slower car, and did Bellof think it was being shown to Ickx because he (Bellof) was having a go?
All that I can say with any certainty, is that it was a sad day.

#9 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:46

My memory is that at the time in question use of the blue flag would have been as traditional, ie held stationery: Someone's chasing you. Waved: Someone's trying to pass you

I cant comment on the Bellof/Ickx incident

#10 HeskethBoy

HeskethBoy

• 58 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:53

My memory is that at the time in question use of the blue flag would have been as traditional, ie held stationery: Someone's chasing you. Waved: Someone's trying to pass you

Thanks David,
That's how I also feel the rule would have been at that time - hence, if Ickx moved over to get past the slower car, then surely a blue flag would be waving.
And if Bellof sees a gap, he might have been inclined to go for it - even at that place on that circuit.

So - possibly, the blue flag had nothing to do with Bellof, but played a role in the end result?

#11 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,727 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:32

My understanding has always been that Ickx & Bellof were fighting for the lead.

In car footage from Ickx can be seen here

If a blue flag was shown then it must've been for the car he overtakes between La Source & Eau Rouge since why would anyone blue flag the race leader ?

For what it's worth, I think Bellof took one risk too many and sadly lost his life as a result.

#12 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,488 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:36

There are already two other threads about this: http://forums.autosp...w...ellof&st=40 and http://forums.autosp...w...ellof&st=40

To quote myself from one of these threads: as mentioned elsewhere, Ickx was leading the race. Blue flags were waved, but not because of Ickx!
They were waved for another competitor who was about to be lapped by both Ickx and Bellof, fighting for the lead.

#13 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:11

why would anyone blue flag the race leader ?

For the reasons quoted in my earlier post :)

#14 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,727 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 13:07

Must admit my knowledge of flag rules isn't 100% David but I thought that during a race only cars about to be lapped would face a blue flag unlike practice when anyone could be flagged as warning of a quicker car approaching.

#15 Rob Semmeling

Rob Semmeling

• 913 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 14:05

I just want to know if this footage by John Nichols (which shows the whole story - so everbody could see what happened) is locked in the Porsche archives for another 20 years or if there might exist somewhere a copy.

For what it's worth: the on-board footage from Ickx's car has been available on the 'Sportscar Experience' VHS from Duke Video for many years.

Edited by Rob Semmeling, 16 April 2012 - 14:06.

#16 tyrrellp346wheels

tyrrellp346wheels

• 582 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 15:37

Must admit my knowledge of flag rules isn't 100% David but I thought that during a race only cars about to be lapped would face a blue flag unlike practice when anyone could be flagged as warning of a quicker car approaching.

IIRC at the 1992 Monaco Grand Prix, Senna was shown Blue flags in the latter stages when Mansell was trying to take the lead so its possible Ickx was shown blue flags despite being the leader.

#17 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 16:39

That's (more or less) the current rule
Until then, it was exactly as I stated - "someone", no matter who

#18 HeskethBoy

HeskethBoy

• 58 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:51

IIRC at the 1992 Monaco Grand Prix, Senna was shown Blue flags in the latter stages when Mansell was trying to take the lead so its possible Ickx was shown blue flags despite being the leader.

Exactly! Flag marshals are human. And back in those times the rule was a lot more open-ended than it is today (where a computer programme virtually decides when a blue flag is shown).
So, a keeen and enthusiastic marshal might easily have chosen to wave the flag for whatever reason they thought was valid at the time.

The old rule that the onus for overtaking safely rests with the driver carrying out the manoeuvre applied as much then as it does today.

#19 Ralliart

Ralliart

• 669 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:47

I watched that race on TV - the tape-delay coverage of sports car racing on ESPN. Not only the in-car was shown but, of course, the events leading up to the crash. It appeared Bellof tried to pass in a place where one couldn't pass without a big enough gap. It appeared to be entirely his fault.

Advertisement

#20 HeskethBoy

HeskethBoy

• 58 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:26

http://www.i-t-d.net...nde/az_1_85.jpg

The blue flag - but I don't read German - so I'm unsure what the comment is about.

#21 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,352 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:53

http://www.i-t-d.net...nde/az_1_85.jpg

The blue flag - but I don't read German - so I'm unsure what the comment is about.

"Not to be missed: Blue flag: That means: Careful, somebody wants to overtake. Nevertheless Ickx "never in his dreams thought that somebody would overtake here""

Roughly translated!

#22 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,727 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 23:45

I've just found this series of photos & something odd seems to happen between photo 2 where Bellof looks to have just run off track but still seems to be heading up the Raidillon parallel to the tarmac and photo 3 where he has suddenly turned sharp left & gone head on into the barrier very little further up the hill. I wonder if the car perhaps bottomed out on a bump on the grass ?

http://www.documenti...-frames-b-1.jpg

#23 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:28

I've just found this series of photos & something odd seems to happen between photo 2 where Bellof looks to have just run off track but still seems to be heading up the Raidillon parallel to the tarmac and photo 3 where he has suddenly turned sharp left & gone head on into the barrier very little further up the hill. I wonder if the car perhaps bottomed out on a bump on the grass ?

http://www.documenti...-frames-b-1.jpg

I notice there is a wall perpendicular to the armco where Bellof hit. Could he have struck the armco at a shallower angle and met that wall, being spun around so he is roughly 90 degrees to the track?

#24 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,727 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 21:03

I see what you mean but in photo 2 the car looks as if it's in no danger of hitting the armco ( assuming it is moving in a forward direction ) and it looks to me as if it would need to be moving sideways if it was to hit the barrier but in that case wouldn't Bellof have applied opposite lock which from the attitude of the left front wheel doesn't appear to be the case. Also the ground there looks very bumpy

#25 wolf sun

wolf sun

• 842 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 12:23

Sorry if this is a bit of a deviation - but since the subject of Ickx/Bellof has come up once again:

The person running the website linked to in the opening post is selling his own misinformed opinion and slanderous allegations as fact. The internet being what it is, the drivel he has published has snowballed to the point where it quickly pops up as soon as you g**gle Bellof and Ickx.

Maybe there's a John Nichols who filmed the accident, maybe there isn't - in any case I wouldn't read too much into a story single-handedly propagated by a man whose intentions are dubious, to say the least.

#26 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 15:10

I see what you mean but in photo 2 the car looks as if it's in no danger of hitting the armco ( assuming it is moving in a forward direction ) and it looks to me as if it would need to be moving sideways if it was to hit the barrier but in that case wouldn't Bellof have applied opposite lock which from the attitude of the left front wheel doesn't appear to be the case. Also the ground there looks very bumpy

I agree 100%. Looking at the marking on the grass and the wall, the car must have turned a good 60 degrees or so left in a split second even though the front wheel appears to be turning slightly right.

All I can think of is damaged suspension from the clash caused the car to rapidly slide and turn left in spite of the rightward steering input visible on the left wheel.