Photo

THE GREAT DRIVER PLAYOFFS GROUP STAGE 7 OF 33

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Poll: THE GREAT DRIVER PLAYOFFS GROUP STAGE 7 OF 33 (52 member(s) have cast votes)

1. Ukyo Katayama (1 votes [1.96%])

Percentage of vote: 1.96%

2. Andrea De Cesaris (9 votes [17.65%])

Percentage of vote: 17.65%

3. Luigi Musso (9 votes [17.65%])

Percentage of vote: 17.65%

4. Carlos Reutemann (32 votes [62.75%])

Percentage of vote: 62.75%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Redliner

Redliner

• 162 posts

Posted 18 September 2002 - 15:29

Well, shock of shocks, to me at least. We lose our first World Champion, utterly outstripped by none other than Innes Ireland. Who would have thought it? Personally I would put Innes and Jody in very much the same mold, both no nonsense drivers who got on with it and could be a little wild at times. It is quite easy seeing Innes being a World Champion under different circumstances. Really however Group 6 was all about one man, and that man beats Ascari's record of 75% of the vote by a fraction (0.44%). To be honest, Clark didn't have much competition in this round, maybe the next round will test his metal more.

Group 5 saw the late Stefan Bellof beat '58 World Champion Mike Hawthorn into second place. A coup for tragically deceased German. It seems his "what if" factor was enough to see him through against proven results. Will this be enough to carry him through Round 2 we wonder? Hawthorn, of course, progresses too, and so will get another bite of the cake. Another "what if", the talented Welshman Tom Pryce put up a game effort but didn't make the cut. There are others from Britains "lost generation" of the 70's in this tournament and we shall have to see how they fair.

Now, onto Group 7. The four drivers battling it out in this Group are as follows;

1.Ukyo Katayama
2.Andrea De Cesaris
3.Luigi Musso
4.Carlos Reutemann

So there we have it, an interesting group I feel. As always lets hear your views on the duelists.

Advertisement

#2 coyoteBR

coyoteBR

• 4,085 posts

Posted 18 September 2002 - 16:02

Sheesh, very tough one. Reutman was a fantastic Driver, but Andrea de Cesaris had more on the entertainment side. I voted for the Italian

#3 Rediscoveryx

Rediscoveryx

• 3,419 posts

Posted 18 September 2002 - 16:18

No question in my book, it has to be Reutemann. Apart from Moss, Berger, Villeneuve and Peterson, I can't think of a better driver who never won the WDC

#4 BRG

BRG

• 25,941 posts

Posted 18 September 2002 - 16:21

Carlos is the man. Sorry, but de Crasheris wasn't in the same league, although I agree that he was sometimes more entertaining! I would only put him 3rd behind Musso.

#5 jk

jk

• 1,750 posts

Posted 18 September 2002 - 16:46

This is another nobrainer.
Katayama is a joke (why is he even entered?), de Cesaris was entartaining but noway a great driver, and Musso was not as good as his opposition. Maybe the glory of the 50's can help Musso, but it sure should be Carlos who advances!

#6 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,227 posts

Posted 18 September 2002 - 20:38

Yes, a no-brainer... he contended for the title, after all...

One feels some sympathy for Musso, however.

#7 Zawed

Zawed

• 4,500 posts

Posted 18 September 2002 - 22:33

Running 2nd in a Jordan in the Belgian GP to Senna? Andrea gets my vote.

#8 dmj

dmj

• 2,251 posts

Posted 19 September 2002 - 10:44

Lole, no doubt.