Photo

THE GREAT DRIVER PLAYOFFS GROUP STAGE 12 OF 33 (GENUINE)!!!!

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Poll: THE GREAT DRIVER PLAYOFFS GROUP STAGE 12 OF 33 (GENUINE)!!!! (63 member(s) have cast votes)

1. Pedro Rodriguez (42 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

2. Masten Gregory (7 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

3. Eddie Irvine (8 votes [12.70%])

Percentage of vote: 12.70%

4. Olivier Gendebien (6 votes [9.52%])

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Redliner

Redliner

• 162 posts

Posted 20 September 2002 - 19:47

For Group 12 we have another interesting bunch;

1.Pedro Rodriguez
2.Masten Gregory
3.Eddie Irvine
4.Olivier Gendebien

THIS IS THE REAL THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry heheheh duhh

Advertisement

#2 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,241 posts

Posted 20 September 2002 - 20:18

Seven votes and this is the first post?

Are we all so afraid of angering Joe?

#3 Keir

Keir

• 5,241 posts

Posted 20 September 2002 - 21:05

I voted for Masten! All that "Give one up for the American" stuff.

..............and that Pedro never needed anyone's help before, so why now??

...............also, Masten wore specs!!!

#4 oldtimer

oldtimer

• 1,291 posts

Posted 20 September 2002 - 21:40

Masten may have worn specs, but Pedro in a 917 could make your eyes water.

#5 cjpani

cjpani

• 2,456 posts

Posted 20 September 2002 - 21:44

:cool: :cool: :cool:

#6 Zawed

Zawed

• 4,500 posts

Posted 20 September 2002 - 23:51

Irv the Swerve.

#7 Joe Fan

Joe Fan

• 5,591 posts

Posted 21 September 2002 - 01:45

Trust me, Masten and Pedro should advance from this group in that order. I cannot divulge too much other than the fact that Louis Stanley would agree me.

Overall, top to bottom, this is the strongest group of four so far in my opinion.

#8 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 21 September 2002 - 08:52

I voted for Masten; but then, I'm hoping for a free book!  ;)

#9 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,506 posts

Posted 21 September 2002 - 09:00

Originally posted by Joe Fan
I cannot divulge too much other than the fact that Louis Stanley would agree me.

Seems like a good reason to vote for Gendebien or Irvine.

#10 Joe Fan

Joe Fan

• 5,591 posts

Posted 21 September 2002 - 09:31

Originally posted by Roger Clark

Seems like a good reason to vote for Gendebien or Irvine.

:confused: Roger, you don't respect Louis Stanley's opinion?

At any rate, Carroll Shelby said that Masten was the fastest American to ever race a Grand Prix car. Masten got an offer to race in Formula One by Ferrari one year before Phil Hill and Dan Gurney. He never really had very competitive equipment in Formula One after 1959 and I personally think the switch to 1.5-liter formula for the 1961 season didn't play to the strength of Masten's driving style. Tony Brooks retired due to the 1.5-liter formula, saying the cars would be like go-carts. Masten liked horsepower and cut his teeth in big cars. I think that the smaller engine formula probably made the chassis all the more important, which Masten was at a disadvantage racing two year old Cooper, Lotus and BRM cars during that time. I am convinced that Masten would have prospered with a top team when the sport returned to the 3-liter era in 1966. If you notice, Jack Brabham seemed to excel again in 1966. Sadly, Mastoid's brilliant Le Mans performance and great run at Indy in 1965 didn't help him get a F1 ride for the 1966 season.

As far as Gendebien, he was a great sports car driver but he wasn't as impressive as Masten and Pedro in Formula One IMHO.

#11 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,215 posts

Posted 21 September 2002 - 11:50

:confused: Roger, you don't respect Louis Stanley's opinion?

He's the not the only one. I found Louis Stanley abrasive & boorish & unhelpful when I was unfortunate enough to come across him. I can't stand the man so I'm not likely to look at his comments in a positive light.

I voted for Gendebien btw. Rodriguez is easily the winner here but I think Olivier should be the second one going through. People forget just how good he was.

#12 dmj

dmj

• 2,251 posts

Posted 21 September 2002 - 14:04

Four Le Mans victories are hard to beat... My vote for Gendebien, too. Again, a group of four drivers I like... but other three surely have more devoted supporters here.

#13 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,215 posts

Posted 21 September 2002 - 21:08

Irvine second!?!!? :eek:
If not Olivier, I would've accepted Masten but the Swerve?! Ah well, such is life. :smoking:

#14 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 21 September 2002 - 21:15

PLEASE, somebody else vote for Olly or Masten, PLEASE! :(

#15 Joe Fan

Joe Fan

• 5,591 posts

Posted 23 September 2002 - 13:32

Originally posted by Richie Jenkins

He's the not the only one. I found Louis Stanley abrasive & boorish & unhelpful when I was unfortunate enough to come across him. I can't stand the man so I'm not likely to look at his comments in a positive light.

Hmmm...when was this? I found Louis Stanley to be an extremely nice man and very helpful with my Masten Gregory biography. I sent him a letter asking for anecdotes and was quite shocked when he called me long distance from England on his dime. He gave me some good anecdotes, said I could use whatever I wanted from a piece he had written on Masten and even invited me to visit him in Cambridge if I was ever in the neighborhood.

Overall, although I am disappointed that Masten didn't get enough votes to advance, it only reaffirms to me the need of a Masten Gregory biography. I think many people will be surprised at some of the things Masten was able to do with the equipment that he had to work with for most of his career. Even I have been and I knew quite a bit before undertaking the project.

#16 Dave Ware

Dave Ware

• 998 posts

Posted 23 September 2002 - 16:03

Joe, if you talk to "Big Lou" again tell him that I've enjoyed his yearbook "Grand Prix 10" since the mid-seventies, and still re-read it from time to time :p

Dave

#17 Joe Fan

Joe Fan

• 5,591 posts

Posted 23 September 2002 - 16:31

Originally posted by Dave Ware
Joe, if you talk to "Big Lou" again tell him that I've enjoyed his yearbook "Grand Prix 10" since the mid-seventies, and still re-read it from time to time :p

Dave

My next communication with him will probably be a letter but I will certainly mention it.

#18 rolando

rolando

• 151 posts

Posted 23 September 2002 - 18:28

The poll is already closed... I coudn't vote :mad:

As usual it was an easy one for Pedro :up:

#19 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,215 posts

Posted 23 September 2002 - 22:07

Hmmm...when was this? I found Louis Stanley to be an extremely nice man and very helpful with my Masten Gregory biography.

It was in 1999/2000, I forget now. Just after his book came out, I wrote to him regarding a few things in the book & if he could help with a bit of information regarding Giorgio Scarlatti & Chris Irwin. I eventually received a very rude, curt letter saying he didn't have the time etc. etc. wasting his time, you can probably guess the rest.
It was a perfectly reasonable & pleasant request, nothing sarcastic or nitpicking, just for more information but he just didn't want to know. Maybe he was upset that I queried one part of his book, but I didn't say "you are wrong" just a bit more clarity, but.... I never forget uneccessary rudeness & unhelpfulness, so sorry, Louis Stanley isn't my cup of tea, I'm afraid.

Advertisement

#20 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 24 September 2002 - 21:32

What has happened to rounds 13 & 14 etc etc etc?

#21 LB

LB

• 13,578 posts

Posted 24 September 2002 - 22:54

and who is left to go in them?

Prost Senna Piquet G Hill M Schumacher still floating about and have I seen Moss yet? or Mansell?
or DC

#22 Flying Panda

Flying Panda

• 5,053 posts

Posted 04 October 2002 - 03:23

I noticed that this game didnt last long. Shame, but probably best it not continue anyway. :

#23 Bernd

Bernd

• 3,313 posts

Posted 04 October 2002 - 03:38

I somehow missed this...... Dunno how but I did, is it over, aborted, gutted!! pity it woul've been a fun exercise. I'd all but guarantee Jimmy Clark would've sailed home as well.
In this one after much thought my vote would've gone to Rodriguez slightly above Gendebien.