Greg Snape is taking an interest in this thread and has sent me the following:
When we first had the car running at Silverstone it was running on petrol. We were using IDF Webbers of Alfasud/Alfa 33 origin. We did this because it was a lot easier to initially get the car going on petrol rather than methanol. The IDFs only required a slight jetting change. This gave us a chance to sort out the rest of the car a bit before we got too carried away with engine development. The engine wasn't really happy on petrol in that first race, the main area of concern was high coolant temperature and I had to "nurse" it a bit in the second half of that first race.
Between that first race at Silverstone and our first Goodwood run, Bill Morris was able to track down some proper period DCNL Webbers. I rebuilt these carbs and set them up to run methanol. This transformed the engine, it was much happier and of course ran much cooler. We have only pulled the engine down once for a look. We had an inlet port that was porous and leaked a little coolant into the port over the winter. The engine has had no other development. It is running an original crank and rods and also a set of original 11:1 comp pistons!! Cams are also original, but I did have trouble with them initially marking the buckets and had to spend a few days stoning off the sharp edges! Incidentally, we do have Coventry Climax drawings of 12.5:1 pistons, but it looked like they didn't try that option in the early days as there were none with the piles of bits! We have been playing with idle jets to try and get a little more response down low. We fitted larger idle jets for Goodwood this year, it was much easier to start when cold, seemed better off the line, stung every body's eyes, but was a bastard to start when it was hot! That is what we were playing about with on Sunday when we started it up.
Unfortunately, we haven't really had the time to do any testing, I usually only get over a few weeks before the events, and that time is used just prepping the car and giving it a test at an airfield. This year was much better being able to give the car a run at the VSCC meeting at Donington. I felt a lot more confident with the car. We have been playing with suspension settings and spring rates and it is starting to work much better. The chassis must be very stiff, as it responds well to small changes. We still have a bit of understeer in fast corners and I'm still not really happy with the turn in so a few more tweeks still to come!!
The Dunlop disc brakes are fantastic and one of the important technical features of the car that are often overlooked. It stops really well and the pedal has a wonderful reassuring feel. I think the brakes would have been the best in the field in 1954, and I'm sure that discs would have been on other cars much earlier as a result.