Photo

Am I dreaming??? Pix

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,524 posts

Posted 29 September 2002 - 17:21

It's been a funny old Sunday. Two of the most fantastic Superbike races I've ever seen, the second deciding this year's World Championship. Two contenders who seriously seemed intent upon killing one another race-long at Imola beam and back-slap and are plainly still great mates sharing an enormous level of mutual-respect on the podium at Imola.

And now the Great Britain and Europe team seem to have put the US to the sword and have won golf's Ryder Cup...

And there's still the US GP at Indy to come... Blimey...how can Formula 1 live up to all this????

And then I also dreamed I'd found these assorted pix...

Posted Image

This Frenchman with developing dreams of gold...

Posted Image

Who seriously upset great uncle Umberto, inventor of Mussolini's arma secreto...

Posted Image

...who took this snapshot of a rather obscure Lombard event just postwar...

Posted Image

Out of focus 'cos the phantom goggle snatcher had nicked his windows...

Posted Image

...but he still tried another shot...

Posted Image

...which morphed itself in shape,content and colour...

http://members.atlas...ug_nye/Atlas -

...sprouted wings...

Posted Image

...and tried to FLY...

Posted Image

...and even before Christabel Carlisle could race to the rescue...

Posted Image

...it all just became a total nightmare...

DCN

Pix from - of course - The GP Library

Advertisement

#2 Option1

Option1

• 14,892 posts

Posted 29 September 2002 - 20:54

Wow Doug, great to see you appearing in at least 4 of those pics:

* the 2nd - when you still owned a razor, but need better advice on what hat to buy;
* the 7th - when you spent too long in the sun without a hat;
* the 8th - when you'd only ventured as far as a hat and a mo';
* the 10 - when despite a new hat and throwing away the razor completely, you'd clearly spent too long in the sun and started hanging around other fuzzy creatures.

There's a lesson in this for all of us. :D

Neil

#3 Mark Beckman

Mark Beckman

• 782 posts

Posted 29 September 2002 - 20:59

The 2 racers were incredible at Imola, the 2 races will go down in history up there with some of the best racing of all time.

Won't say who won though, too soon and some may not have had the pleasure.

#4 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,524 posts

Posted 29 September 2002 - 20:59

Hmmm. Yes Mark - it really was a pleasure, wasn't it. But right now, having just witnessed the 3-lap US GP - first 2 and last half-mile - I think I really have been dreaming...

DCN

#5 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 29 September 2002 - 21:32

Originally posted by Doug Nye
It's been a funny old Sunday. ...........
And then I also dreamed I'd found these assorted pix...
...it all just became a total nightmare...

DCN

Pix from - of course - The GP Library

Brilliant..and are we to believe you posted this BEFORE the US GP, Doug?

#6 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,524 posts

Posted 29 September 2002 - 22:07

Afraid so. Pathetic innit? Check the time line - 17:21 - US GP kicked off at 19.00 I believe....it was all over about 15 seconds later...

DCN

#7 oldtimer

oldtimer

• 1,291 posts

Posted 30 September 2002 - 01:44

Though they did race right up to the line, didn't they?;)

BTW, thanks Doug

#8 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,524 posts

Posted 30 September 2002 - 18:52

Would anybody take a shot at identifying the event or the cars in the race line-up pix????

DCN

#9 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,590 posts

Posted 30 September 2002 - 19:32

I would suggest that the 'rather obscure Lombard event just postwar' is the Circuit of Milan held on 30 September 1946, with No 14 being Leslie Brooke in ERA R7B.

Is the 'man with dreams of gold Marcel Violet'?

#10 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,502 posts

Posted 30 September 2002 - 19:37

Is it the Circuit of Milan 1946? 21 September and Reg Parnell in R8C if you believe David Weguelin 30 September and R1B if you believe Paul Sheldon. Or 29 September if you believe Emanuele Carli.

#11 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,752 posts

Posted 30 September 2002 - 20:00

I think the first one is the Kauhsen WK001, which was slightly developed before Brancatelli tried to qualify it.

The winged thing is Art Malone's Daytona record breaker - it must have taken some guts to drive it at 200mph+. Malone went from dragsters to Indy (driving the Novi), a route later denied to Danny Ongais.

#12 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,524 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 20:06

Originally posted by Tim Murray
I would suggest that the 'rather obscure Lombard event just postwar' is the Circuit of Milan held on 30 September 1946, with No 14 being Leslie Brooke in ERA R7B.

Is the 'man with dreams of gold Marcel Violet'?

Circuit of Milan is right - photos taken by an officer of the British Army occupying force - the pic of the intrepid pilote in the vestigial rear-engined cyclecar is captioned as Eugene Mauve, founder of the Bol d'Or, in the Elfe...

It is indeed Art Malone in 'Mad Dog' too, at Daytona. Where ERAs are concerned I'd trust Weg...
DCN

#13 Anorak Man

Anorak Man

• 312 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 03:25

Posted Image

There were those who sneered, but where are they now?
Time has vindicated this mechanical visionary, and shut the mouths of the scoffers.

What Steve Jobs did for apples, Umberto Braglioli did for jodhpurs and spats.

Whilst his compatriots trudged knee-deep through the weeds and rotting fruit of Tuscany orange-groves, this man stode in style with the bearing of a Prince: immaculate when he began his day's work, and spotless when he'd picked his quota of six crates of Red-navels.

He then turned his brilliance to the problem of Italy's bomb-torn roads, and designed the 'Whirli-gig', (or in Italian 'Il Gigalo') a vehicle which didn't need a road, because it took one with it, and negotiated yard-deep pot-holes with ease. Unlike bicycles and motorbikes, which are inherantly unstable, Bragliloi's invention had great stability derived from the whirling mass of the outer flywheel. Infact, the faster he went, the more stable it became, such that at 30 miles an hour it was impossible for the device to deviate from a straight-line trajectory.

Tuscany is not renowned for long straight roads, and both Umberto and his 'Gigalo' were last seen disappearing at speed over a mountain precipice outside Lombardy, August 13th. 1953.

Both, sadly missed.

AM

#14 Anorak Man

Anorak Man

• 312 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 03:27

Posted Image

This Froggy 'Allez-Voiturette' has every pre-requisite of the modern Go-Kart.

1) Driver's backside on the chassis, four inches above the road.
2) Driver's elbows brushing spinning flywheels and various lethally sharp bits.
3) Driver's back pressed against hot exhaust manifold and high-revving explosive mota.

This put's to death the lie that bored GI's invented the Go-Kart.

AM

#15 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,051 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 03:40

Originally posted by Anorak Man
Posted Image

....Tuscany is not renowned for long straight roads, and both Umberto and his 'Gigalo' were last seen disappearing at speed over a mountain precipice outside Lombardy, August 13th. 1953.

... on account of the braking forces being too great?

After all, any brake application would have to be smooth and light, otherwise the operator would be rotating with the wheel!

#16 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,752 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 07:08

Mauve...Violet...close...

Amazing coincidence that there were 2 chaps contemporaneous on the cyclecar circuit with names like that.

#17 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,502 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 11:56

Originally posted by Doug Nye

Circuit of Milan is right - photos taken by an officer of the British Army occupying force ...Where ERAs are concerned I'd trust Weg...
DCN

So would I, but can anyone confirm the date of the race?

#18 Joe Fan

Joe Fan

• 5,591 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 13:06

Doug,

I am beginning to wonder if I am dreaming. A Masten and Elvis pic in the same thread on TNF? :stoned: Weird dream.

BTW, the Masten pick appears to be circa 1957 or 58. I will have to have my wife take a look at the Elvis pic as she is pretty good at identifying Elvis pics from movies.

#19 pedro

pedro

• 65 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 13:57

I find it difficult to concentrate on the other questions while Doug keeps posting pictures of Christabel Carlisle. But, tearing my mind away from spectacular Minis and their spectacular drivers, and turning to the Milan pics:

Am I right in thinking there might be a slight clue in these pics? Like, all the names and numbers are clearly visible on the scoreboard? (If only all quiz questions would provide such thoughtful clues).

So, 36 Platé, then...
some Delahay whose number I can't decipher, which makes me realise that my above statement was nonesense and that I really need even easier clues. (Could probably work out the driver by elimination, though, if I put a little more time into it)
Then 34 Parnell (Tim has correctly remembered, or, just possibly, read from the scoreboard, that #14 was Brooke, but has failed to notice that there isn't a #14 in the photo).

Then some Maser which looks like 16 so must be Villoresi

So whose Delahay? Not Christabel Carlisle, so, er, who else is there...