Photo

Need Help Identifying F1 Cars

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 tifoso

tifoso

• 10,901 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 15:41

On Friday, in Indianapolis, I took some pictures of historic F1 cars. I think I've been able to identify some using Forix, but would appreciate the help of the Atlas F1 expert panel -- TNF!

Historic F1 Car Pictures

Next year, I'll take notes. I promise.

TIA, tifoso

Advertisement

#2 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 15:50

That BRM is isn't the 1960 car - it's the 160, as driven by Pedro Rodriguez, Jo Siffert, JP Beltoise and Niki Lauda - among many others!

#3 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,006 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 16:16

The Hans Stuck car looks like a March 761, although in Ronnie Peterson's Italian GP winning colours. Your pic of the BRM has a picture of Beltoise winning at Monaco in 1972 on the little plaque in front of the car.

You've also got the Arrows A1 in the background of the Arrows pic (number 35).

#4 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 19:28

tifoso

Picture 1 - Eddie Claridge's Theodore TY02. There was also a TY01 at the event but this is the later car.

Picture 2 - Dan Marvin's Parnelli VPJ4

Picture 3 - Howard Cherry's March 761

Picture 4 - Johannes Willenpart's Arrows A1. In the background is a 1978 FA1 reconstructed from parts returned to Shadow after the court case. I think Brent Berge now owns this car.

Picture 5 - the A1 again.

Picture 6 - Bud Moeller's Ferrari 312T5

Picture 7 - John Springett's BRM P160E

Allen

#5 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 20:23

Ah, I was there for quite awhile on Friday and Saturday thanks to Dave Kane -- the # 9 March 741, '02'

Picture 1 - Eddie Claridge's Theodore TY02. There was also a TY01 at the event but this is the later car.

There were two Theodores at Indy. The TY02 of Eddie Claridge -- 'TY02/1' -- and the TY01 of Bill Karges -- 'TY01/1'

Picture 2 - Dan Marvin's Parnelli VPJ4

Dan was the guest driver for Dave Olson. Dan told me it '001' since I never got to eyeball the chassis plate. On Friday, Dan had some problems and had to park the Parnelli in the modern F1 pits, where it was like a magnet....

Picture 3 - Howard Cherry's March 761

This was chassis '761-2' according to the chassis plate.

Picture 4 - Johannes Willenpart's Arrows A1. In the background is a 1978 FA1 reconstructed from parts returned to Shadow after the court case. I think Brent Berge now owns this car.
Picture 5 - the A1 again.

Contrary to popular belief, Arrows did run two cars at Indy..... Actually, these were both FA-1's -- the #29 car bearing chassis plate '78 1A-3' and owned by Brent Berge. The #35 was the Willenpart FA-1, chassis 'FA1-1' on the plate.

Picture 6 - Bud Moeller's Ferrari 312T5

A nice car, a 'F1-312-T5' on the plate and telaio 'MAT-046' Sounded wonderful and was just a jewel, too bad it led a single lap all season in 1980...

Picture 7 - John Springett's BRM P160E

The gent who built this BRM, Laurie Gerrish, confirmed that it was indeed '160/09' and that there was an 'E' over the slash which was put there by him. Unfortunately, on Saturday '09' caught fire in the Turn 3 or 4 area and John Springett had to bale from the car.

There were a number of other great machines there, Todd Morici's Ferrari 312 -- '0007' -- being one of my favorites. The V-12's of the Ferrari and BRM both sounded great and I was delighted to realize I could tell them apart after all these years!

In additon to Laurie Gerrish and many others, one of the great guys there was Bob Slade, the DFV-series expert. It was fascinating to hear him casually mention that he has about 45 DFV's in the shop right now.... Bob is great to talk with.

The was a nice discussion with Tom Claridge about his Shadow. I eyeballed the chassis plate and he confirmed that it was indeed 'DN8-2A' -- the chassis being obtained directly from Don Nichols.

I am working on a story about HGP and it will be coming in RVM very soon.....

#6 tifoso

tifoso

• 10,901 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 10:52

Thanks everyone for your help. I'm updating my page of historic cars now. I've really enjoyed learning more about them from all of you. Don, I saw the BRM catch fire Saturday but Hubby Tifoso and I were separated at that time and he had the camera. I read in the paper Mr. Springett received first and second degree burns. I hope he's OK.

#7 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 2,027 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 13:21

Got any pictures of the Penske that Paul Edwards drove that belongs to Doug Mockett ??

thanks

#8 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 14:06

According to John Springett his seatbelt got tangled with the applet on the
top of his suit when he was exiting the car. This delayed him enough to allow th burns to take place on his neck and lower jaw, I believe. By the time I pulled along side of John the corner workers were all over the car. He noticed smoke in turn one and drove directly to the fire station in turn three. By that time the fire was pretty extensive and very, very orange! It was spooky! The marshals had the fire out in seconds...long seconds for the driver.

He was on pain killers when he flew back to London on Sunday as he was experiencing some discomfort to say the least.

The fuel line from the mechanical to the electrical fuel pump had failed.
Fortunately there was no noticable damage other than some paint damage around the airbox.

It took them a good 45 minutes to clear the extinguishing substance off the car. They were working like beavers as that stuff apparently eats into
the metals pretty quickly. When it was all done everyone was greatly relieved to see how great the car looked again. This made me feel particularly good as they had spent two years restoring this car. It SOUNDED great too!

#9 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 16:27

Hey, that BRM V-12 sounds great..... I had forgotten how nice it sounded and that it has its own sound. It was fun to realize that I could still pick out the V-12's from each other as well as the Boxer 12. However, I am still fond of the ol' DFV.....

From my vantage point, it was apparent that John got hung up somewhere at the top of his uniform with the seatbelts and this delayed his bailing out of the car. I am glad to hear that he wasn't scorched too badly, but he looked in a hurt even from where I was sitting. Been there....

If there is one thing that I truly enjoyed at Indianapolis, it was the Historic Grand Prix paddock. If you missed it, you really missed something. It was refreshing to see the crews and drivers talking and mingling with the fans and letting people get pictures of themselves with the cars.

And Dave had a great big grin on his face all weekend.....

#10 tifoso

tifoso

• 10,901 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 01:29

These were two additional pictures I took of the same car. I need help identifying this one, too. And an explanation for why the nose section of the car could be separated from the car but still attached.

Again, thanks for all your assistance. I'm really enjoying learning more about these beautiful machines.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 13:24

That is Laurie Garrish, the former BRM mechanic with the 160E. I'm not sure
I understand your question about the nose as this is the standard set-up.

Laurie is the technical director of the Historic Grand Prix. He techs the cars before each event and he is responsible for the general technical supervision of the whole operation.

Besides his former F1 experience, he worked for several CART teams also.

#12 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 14:22

Laurie is a treasure trove of information! He built '09' and pointed out to me some of the small items that made it different to the other P160's but distinct to the team mechanics. He also built the Penske -- ditto on the details -- that was there and another car in the HGP famiy, the Shadow DN3 '1A' from Dallas, I think Juan Gonzalez is the current owner.

Oh, and Laurie and I discussed the BRM engines -- the P142 -- and all the adventures he had with them since everyone of them blew up at least once and usually far more often than that... He said sometimes he patched the patches..... Like Dave and everyone else, Laurie was happy to talk and show you no end of things there in the HGP paddock.

As Rick Knoop said, this was like a "time warp."