Almost famous?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,863 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 21:14

Well, ladies and gentlemen, our new(ish) member Mick Walsh was as good as his word. Here's the editorial from the November issue of Classic & Sports Car :clap: :clap: :clap:

Posted Image

Anyone want to argue with the final paragraph? :lol:

Advertisement

#2 Felix Muelas

Felix Muelas

• 1,209 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 21:31

Well, Richard, you beat me to it! :lol:
Seriously, there are two things that I wanted to comment over Mick´s writings on this last CSC. One is done, the other is his article on Doug´s Dick & George book. The review is so good that it is going to cost me GBP 135 plus p+p. :lol: (I got my wife´s blessing to it ten minutes ago...)

Anyway, thanks Mr Walsh. Not only for that, of course (but we do appreciate nice people saying nice things about us...)

Un abrazo from the -almost always- sunny Spain

Felix

#3 Bernd

Bernd

• 3,313 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 21:35

Wow my thread got honorable mention. Excuse me while I go admire myself in the mirror :lol:

#4 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 22:20

nice piece, Mr.Walsh!

#5 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 04 October 2002 - 07:46

Did he remember to give the URL?

#6 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,322 posts

Posted 04 October 2002 - 07:52

Yes he did - underneath the screenshots.

#7 Holger Merten

Holger Merten

• 1,836 posts

Posted 04 October 2002 - 08:17

Fine, I think new members are welcome. There is no better forum for discussions than TNF. And what Mick wrote is right: "Be warned: Atlas F1's historic forum will soak up your spare time and you'll became an addict."

And he is right. Where do you get as fast as possible "Racing and drug-related busts, flat plane cranks..." Rio de Janeiro results, (not)-Auto Union search results and so on? Therefore Mick could make some advertising, cause it's good for the next story too, isn’t it. Yes and good for us.

TNF is the tool I was searching on the internet since 1996. You could ask all over the world after some information and have the chance to get an professional answer (just in time).

So thank you Mick for the cockpit view and for further discussions here on TNF.

#8 Viss1

Viss1

• 9,414 posts

Posted 04 October 2002 - 11:57

:up: Truly an amazing resource. An F1 knowledge base that is unequalled.

#9 josh.lintz

josh.lintz

• 149 posts

Posted 04 October 2002 - 12:18

I won't argue the final paragraph...and I hope the servers are up to the task of new members, too!

#10 Wolf

Wolf

• 7,883 posts

Posted 04 October 2002 - 15:23

I can't argue, since I didn't read it... Not that I would mind seeing what is it about (although I have some clue) or a reader's digest of it...

#11 dmj

dmj

• 2,251 posts

Posted 04 October 2002 - 15:30

Well, C&SC won't be in my hands for at least a week (it takes time to come to Croatian distribution) but I am glad to see Mr. Walsh did what we expected. I believe it can be a significant boost for TNF. I am waiting for first contributions of interesting new members, attracted through this article...

#12 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 05 October 2002 - 14:32

Wow.............

#13 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 05 October 2002 - 15:05

Oh blimey - Mick got the wrong end of the stick in one way, I wasn't the one who brought in Vic Elford it was you know who. BUT Mick's words are NO more than you all deserve. This is a remarkable place indeed...

DCN

#14 stuartbrs

stuartbrs

• 801 posts

Posted 07 October 2002 - 03:22

Im a Network Administrator so spend most of the day on PC`s... Since discovering the Nostalgia forum here my work productivity has taken a dramatic dive, and the Trainee`s has been on a massive upswing..

Great place to soak up all those racing stories and anecdotes, wonderful community.

#15 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,188 posts

Posted 07 October 2002 - 03:42

Originally posted by Vitesse2
.....Mick Walsh was as good as his word. Here's the editorial from the November issue of Classic & Sports Car......

Thanks for showing the story, Richard. It will take quite a bit before the ship with the Classic & Sports Car mags comes into Honolulu port. ;)

#16 dmj

dmj

• 2,251 posts

Posted 18 October 2002 - 13:44

Finally bought it. And, of course, instantly opened that page... (I usually start reading with "Lost & found" part of C&SC). We already commented Mick's editorial but I must admit I felt good reading again such a good review of TNF at same pages where people like Nigel Roebuck or David Burgess-Wise had their letters published...

#17 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,251 posts

Posted 18 October 2002 - 13:56

Originally posted by Doug Nye
Oh blimey - Mick got the wrong end of the stick in one way...

Two ways, at least...

The Tasmanian Gov't had nothing to do with the closing of Longford... other than that they didn't allow permanent advertising hoardings. It was purely financial, a very wet 1968 meaning there was nothing in the kitty for 1969.

But at least this will direct a few more to our cyber home...

#18 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 2,027 posts

Posted 18 October 2002 - 14:15

Originally posted by stuartbrs
Im a Network Administrator so spend most of the day on PC`s... Since discovering the Nostalgia forum here my work productivity has taken a dramatic dive, and the Trainee`s has been on a massive upswing..

Great place to soak up all those racing stories and anecdotes, wonderful community.

ditto Im a Unix system bod and Im getting hacked off cos they promised we would be on shifts two months ago, and I need nights to get more time on the board.... but dont tell my bosses! :lol:

#19 Bernd

Bernd

• 3,313 posts

Posted 18 October 2002 - 14:28

Originally posted by Ray Bell

Two ways, at least...

The Tasmanian Gov't had nothing to do with the closing of Longford... other than that they didn't allow permanent advertising hoardings. It was purely financial, a very wet 1968 meaning there was nothing in the kitty for 1969.

But at least this will direct a few more to our cyber home...

Ray I don't think it was meant as the track was closed by the Govt.
What was meant was that all traces that the race was once ran on that route were destroyed.

Advertisement

#20 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,251 posts

Posted 18 October 2002 - 14:30

Yes, I see what you mean...

But I don't think the roads were all re-routed because of how folks were driving their EHs on a fast lap of a Saturday night either...

#21 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,863 posts

Posted 01 January 2003 - 21:16

Well, here's a nice New Year present from Mick too:

BEST WEBSITE
Winner is the nostalgia forum www.atlasf1.com which seems to attract the most passionate and knowledgeable fans of motor sport of old. Oh, and us.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

There's also an honourable mention for the F1 Rejects guys. :up:

#22 UAtkins

UAtkins

• 228 posts

Posted 01 January 2003 - 22:08

It was January 1, 2001 that I first posted to TNF, thanks to Don Capps guidance. The article is correct, I am now "brilliantly" informed about my Dad, Tommy Atkins. I was amazed to see my name up there. :blush:

TNF has led me to old friends and many new ones. I have now been to the Goodwood Revival twice and been included in the 2001 tribute to John Cooper. I have met up with my Dad's chief mechanic, Harry Pearce who has enjoyed sharing a lot of stories. I have seen at least four of Dad's cars perform and made friends with at least two of the new owners. I have received so much information from so many people on TNF I can't begin to mention them all but you know who you are. :wave:

I have spent a fortune on books and travel, including getting a most unusual stamp on my passport showing entry into the UK on September 11, 2001! My most recent high point has been receiving a letter from Sir Jack Brabham who very kindly embellished Doug Nye's story about racing my Dad, who was driving his MG, while driving his Climax-powered Herald. He also said that my Dad always made his factory services available to him whenever he needed a part made for the cars.

This place is a home away from home for me and I always check what is going on multiple times a day, even if I don't post a lot.

OK, now I have to do something with all this information and get on with my book....that might have to wait awhile but it will get done sometime. Unfortunately I have to work a "regular" job to keep up all this traveling and book buying!

AM PS. Commercial considerations are of course irrelevant.

The chasing after material is what is the most fun....it's habit forming!

Thanks to everyone once again.

Ursula

#23 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 15:45

Great! :)

#24 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 16:05

It is a never-ending source of amazement to me as to just how much a part of so many lives TNF has become over its relatively short lifespan. As someone who had watched the Atkins cars in action on a number of occasions, it was a pleasure to introduce Ursula to those here who could help her learn more about her father.

I also think about just how much less we would "know" were it not for those of you who willingly share your information -- and revelations -- with the rest of us. And, yes, I often ponder how we got along without TNF in the years before it popped up on the scene....

#25 Lotus23

Lotus23

• 1,006 posts

Posted 03 January 2003 - 00:13

Don, I agree 100%.

Re: getting along without TNF. The "color TV" analogy is apropos: for a great many years, I was perfectly happy with our old B&W tellie and could see no need to upgrade.

However, once my wife got me to buy a color TV, I couldn't imagine how we'd ever gotten along without it!

And so it is with TNF.

#26 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,251 posts

Posted 03 January 2003 - 13:06

And I suspect we haven't seen your Hewland hit fifth gear yet, Lotus23!

You are among a large number of new folk here who promise to make the expansion of TNF even more remarkable over the coming months. Don't hold back, tell us your stories...

#27 LB

LB

• 13,578 posts

Posted 03 January 2003 - 18:14

Was also nice to see Darren Galpins site mentiond in Autosport this week. They have a suppliment with all the Euro tracks being used in 2003 and www.silhouet.com/motorsport/track/tracks.html is credited at the end.

#28 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,729 posts

Posted 04 January 2003 - 02:38

Yep, congrats Darren, hope the cheque is in the post !!

#29 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,729 posts

Posted 04 January 2003 - 02:41

And also to Dan King who gets a mention for his site as well !

#30 Stefan Ornerdal

Stefan Ornerdal

• 578 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 15:00

TNF is now famous in Sweden, too.
A whole page in Swedens biggest motor magazine, 'Teknikens Värld' is about our thread "European Championship 1939". With URL!

Stefan

#31 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,322 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 15:03

Very much delayed comment this - cheque? What cheque? I wish...........

#32 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,863 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 15:06

Originally posted by Darren Galpin
Very much delayed comment this - cheque? What cheque? I wish...........

I think he means you sent them one to mention it ...... :p :lol:

#33 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,322 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 16:04

You mean the one which had several zero's on it but was in fact written for Turkish Lira!

#34 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,863 posts

Posted 05 December 2003 - 23:31

Just bringing this thread back to congratulate F1 Rejects again - they're C&SC's website of the year in their review of 2003! :clap:

Well done guys!

#35 Magee

Magee

• 379 posts

Posted 06 December 2003 - 02:21

TNF deserves this credit. It's been a big help to everyone in finding information and making overseas contacts. Onto another related subject!
However, it can be time consuming and addictive as reported. My warning is that everyone should consider the problem of DVT. The Downunders know about that from news reports of medical problems with passengers on the Sydney to London flights. "D" doesn't mean drinking either. Deep Vein Thrombosis is what you get from sitting in one seat for hours on end. So, get off your butt once in a while and walk around your home or office or find a flight of stairs on which to tread up and down to get the blood back flowing in your legs. My helpful hint for the day. :)

#36 Takahashi

Takahashi

• 53 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 02:58

Originally posted by Vitesse2
Just bringing this thread back to congratulate F1 Rejects again - they're C&SC's website of the year in their review of 2003! :clap:

Well done guys!

Sorry for bringing this thread back, but, as surprising as this may be, neither Kuwashima or myself know anything of this supposed honour!

Could anyone please enlighten us?