Photo

Daft question - Vanwall filler flaps

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,531 posts

Posted 06 October 2002 - 10:14

This is a daft question of tiny detail - but it's currently of importance to me. We have a Vanwall being rebodied at the moment, in magnesium, as original.

There appear to be NO surviving original Vanwall bodies which provenly have the headrest-top fuel filler flap in its original 1957-58 form.

If anyone happens upon a photograph of this area on top of the tall tail just behind the driver's head which shows detail of the filler flap shape, hinge and more critically its secure/release device it would presently be VERY helpful. Anybody????

DCN

Advertisement

#2 Mark Beckman

Mark Beckman

• 782 posts

Posted 06 October 2002 - 12:21

Long shot Doug but my Dads got some fantastic model kits from the very early 60's (unassembled in their boxes) and I'm pretty sure as a kid I remember that theres a Vanwall amongst them that may have that and other details.

He's away on holidays for at least another week, so e mail me in a week or so to remind me to ask him about it.

#3 WGD706

WGD706

• 956 posts

Posted 06 October 2002 - 16:20

Doug
I noticed that Tony Brooks drove a Vanwall in the Goodwood Festival this past July. Was that the 'real thing' or a repli-car?
Warren

#4 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,531 posts

Posted 06 October 2002 - 16:39

Warren - there is only one surviving 'real car' which has been together since its heyday - 'VW10' which is in a British-domiciled private collection whose owner prefers to remain anonymous, but its body has been mucked about in certain aspects, not least after freighting accidents damaged both ends. There is also a GKN/Vandervell Products restored/rebuilt/reassembled demonstrator car put back together in the later 1960s or early '70s which went to Donington, and which Tony has driven and some details on which are not provenly representative.

Former team chief mechanic Norman Burkinshaw, who sadly passed away just a couple of months ago, was involved in a re-assembly of many completely original surviving parts to recreate 'VW5' which is the car we are currently involved in rebodying - as original - in magnesium-alloy. In contrast to the rebuilders' 16-gauge aluminium bodywork this cigarette-paper-thin 20 and near 22-gauge mag-alloy shell is a complete work of art - fantastically lightweight - and fantastically difficult to form... The work is being done by Don 'Danny' Woodward - formerly one of the BRM panel men - who is today one of very few craftsmen still in harness with contemporary experience of hand-forming mag-alloy sheet bodywork for racing cars...

DCN

#5 WGD706

WGD706

• 956 posts

Posted 06 October 2002 - 17:04

Doug
I guess these photos from a 'Vanwall Collection' wouldn't be of any value then. I can't find where and when they were taken, but I've sent an e-mail to the web-site owner to inquire about the details.
http://www.andylees....raphs_page1.htm
Warren
Reply...The Vanwall photos were taken at the Donington Car Collection in England,
about 2 years ago, I have a lot more to put in the "Classic Car" section,
just never seem to have enough time to get round to it.

all the best,

Andy Lees
Motion Blur Formula One Photography

#6 WGD706

WGD706

• 956 posts

Posted 06 October 2002 - 17:16

The VW6 body design was supervised by Mike Costin and the work done by Abbey Panels of Coventry,while the team mechanic who supervised this work was Cyril Atkins. Are any of these people/firms available for consultation? Or failing that, how about Sir Stirling himself?
The Vanwall which Moss drove to victory in 1958 is in the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu in the New Forest between Bournemouth and Southampton.
Warren

#7 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 06 October 2002 - 17:34

Originally posted by WGD706
The VW6 body design was supervised by Mike Costin and the work done by Abbey Panels Warren

Wrong Costin, Frankly ;)

#8 WGD706

WGD706

• 956 posts

Posted 06 October 2002 - 17:38

Sorry, David..Your're right...Frank Costin! :blush:

#9 Graham2

Graham2

• 21 posts

Posted 06 October 2002 - 18:52

Haynes published a book entitled 'Vanwall 2.5 litre F1 - A technical appraisal' written by Ian Bamsey. This contains photos showing the petrol flap behind the drivers head.

Page 35 shows a Vanwall with a flap but not in great detail unfortunately. Perhaps Ian Bamsey has other photo's ? :|

#10 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 06 October 2002 - 21:47

Doug,

The front cover -- of all places! -- of the Vanwall book by Jenks & Cyril P shows the flap quite clearly on the T-car at Aintree next to VW1 & VW5..... plus the Guv himself....

#11 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 06 October 2002 - 21:47

There is also a GKN/Vandervell Products restored/rebuilt/reassembled demonstrator car put back together in the later 1960s or early '70s which went to Donington,

Presumably, therefore, this is the car Doug mentions:
Posted Image

#12 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,531 posts

Posted 07 October 2002 - 09:46

OK - thanks for your input - cracked it we think...unless anyone finds a published contemporary shot showing the underside of the flap and its spring-loading mechanism.

Interesting new conditioned reflex this, isn't it? If I encounter an immediately unanswerable problem my knee-jerk is to ask TNF! Thanks again, everybody...

DCN

#13 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 07 October 2002 - 16:52

Originally posted by Doug Nye
Interesting new conditioned reflex this, isn't it? If I encounter an immediately unanswerable problem my knee-jerk is to ask TNF! Thanks again, everybody...

DCN

Funny how it works that way, isn't it? I have have had countless mysteries answered by those who frequent TNF. I never cease to be amazed at the ability of someone to dredge up an answer to a question which has stumped me -- or someone else -- for ages.....