Photo

Gurney, Dean, and Turnipseed

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 stuartbrs

stuartbrs

• 686 posts

Posted 08 October 2002 - 03:43

Im trying to piece together the circumstances of James Dean`s death, but more importantly, Dan Gurney`s involvement in the incident. Im sure Ive read that Dan was one of the first on the scene somewhere.. did Dan have anything to do with Dean? Why was he following? How long after did he arrive? Was Dean and Dan racing on open roads? What did Dan say to Turnipseed ( if he said anything at all to him? ) and what happened to the car? was it restored? ANd what was Dan driving?

Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisement

#2 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,346 posts

Posted 08 October 2002 - 07:57

I don't think this is right. It was Phil Hill who happened upon the scene some hours later, bound for the same race. Dean had stopped by the garage where Phil was preparing his car and asked if he'd travel up together in convoy. Phil explained he wasn't ready to leave yet and so Dean went on with his Porsche mechanic passenger - Wutherich?? - alone, and met the truck...

DCN

#3 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,255 posts

Posted 08 October 2002 - 12:46

Stuart: please don't take this as a criticism, but it's always worth doing a BB search to see if we've covered something before. Here's a thread from last year which starts out as a query about Dean's racing record, but also discusses his accident in some detail.

http://www.atlasf1.c...&threadid=31541

:)

#4 stuartbrs

stuartbrs

• 686 posts

Posted 08 October 2002 - 23:14

Thanks Vitesse2, thats good advice :up: , I was in a bit of a hurry yesterday..

When I get home tonight Ill try to find the article where I thought I read about Dan Gurney being there, buts its probably just my memory letting me down...