Photo

Mosport mid 60s Photos - identify race needed

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Martin Krejci

Martin Krejci

• 273 posts

Posted 10 October 2002 - 07:17

I have got following photos from Mosport race from mid 60s and I need to identify them (CORRECTION: Identify not only cars but also races). It is BELIEVED that the first three are from Mosport GP 1965

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

and the rest is BELIEVED from Mosport Player's 200 1966 race.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Can anybody confirm these races, or correct them if they are wrong?

I would need also more info. about the races like entry list, grid and results but I'll start another thread about that.

Advertisement

#2 Flying Panda

Flying Panda

• 5,053 posts

Posted 10 October 2002 - 07:57

Cant help you, sorry.
But they are some top photos ! :up:

#3 mickj

mickj

• 142 posts

Posted 10 October 2002 - 09:02

The Chaparral's driver is Hap Sharp.
Number 88 will be a Chinook, a Chaparral replica. The body was apparently scaled up from a model of the Chaparral. It was made by Rudi and George Fejer, who lived in Australia before going to Canada.
Corvette Gs,number 12 , George Winterstein, car following him looks like a McKee Chevette which was commissioned by Dick Doane who was a Chev dealer in Chicago.
I'll try and get more info. BTW GREAT pictures.

#4 damamaho

damamaho

• 26 posts

Posted 10 October 2002 - 09:23

Car No 66 is CHAPARRAL (2C001) driven by Jim Hall, he won and set the fastest time in Mosport 1965. I will search my Can-Am books for more info.
DAMAMAHO.
www.asag.sk/danny.htm

#5 damamaho

damamaho

• 26 posts

Posted 10 October 2002 - 09:31

That warm-up lap photo is from the 1966 Player's 200. Drivers and cars are : AMON/McLAREN (2), McLAREN/McLAREN (4), Charlie Hayes/McLaren (97), Jerry Grant/Lola (8), Motschenbacher/McLaren (11), John Cannon/Genie-Chevy (62).
DAMAMAHO.
www.asag.sk/danny.htm

#6 damamaho

damamaho

• 26 posts

Posted 10 October 2002 - 09:55

The first Photo is Bruce Mclaren in his McLaren M1B (with Oldsmobile engine) in Mosport in 1965, the other red one is the same Bruce McLaren in the updated M1B in 1966.
Nice pictures, I love Can-Am and American PRO SPORTSCAR Racing in the sixties and seventies.
DAMAMAHO.
www.asag.sk/danny.htm

#7 Martin Krejci

Martin Krejci

• 273 posts

Posted 10 October 2002 - 12:03

Thank you for the first comments.

damamaho:
I thought Jim Hall won Mosport GP 1965 with 2A-002, didn't he?
At Player's 1966 I have Cannon with Oldsmobile engine, are you sure with Chevrolet?
Great you identified some many cars from warm up lap. I think Bruce was on pole, so is grid like 4,2,11,97,62 correct?

mickj:
Thank you. I agree with Chinook and Corvette GS, I have no idea about the other car. Can you confirm the photos are really taken at Player's 200 Mosport 1966? I had no record of Chinook or McKee Chevette in that race.
I also believe the Ford GT40 is Wietzes' car and the two Porsche behind it are Joe Buzzetta and Scooter Patrick (both raced at Player's 200 1966).

#8 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 10 October 2002 - 13:01

I probably wrong, but some of these photos look like Bridgehampton to me.

#9 damamaho

damamaho

• 26 posts

Posted 10 October 2002 - 13:50

Martin, you are right that Jim Hall won in Mosport with 2A-002, I was looking at the result of the next race in Kent where he won with 2C-001.
In my source beside the warm-up lap photo it states : John Cannon / Genie-Chevrolet, will try to find other source. But I found another picture with him in a "Genie-Chevrolet", before he switched to a McLaren.
From what I can make up from the warm-up photo I have, the order must be McLaren (4), Amon (2), Hayes (97), Grant (8), Motschenbacher (11), Cannon (62), .. the rest of the numbers are hard to read. Pitty it didn't count for the Can-Am title, otherwise I had the complete startgrid.
Haven't find a photo of the car behind the Corvette, looks like a Lola, but don't know.
DAMAMAHO.
www.asag.sk/danny.htm

#10 Arturo Pereira

Arturo Pereira

• 843 posts

Posted 10 October 2002 - 14:42

Originally posted by David M. Kane
I probably wrong, but some of these photos look like Bridgehampton to me.

I think you are not wrong. I think that ALL of them were taken at Bridgehampton :smoking:

#11 Dave Ware

Dave Ware

• 998 posts

Posted 10 October 2002 - 16:36

The last two photos certainly look like Mosport's turns 2 and 3. But the hill on the left seems rather high for Mosport. It will have to be compared to other photos.

#12 Paul Medici

Paul Medici

• 441 posts

Posted 10 October 2002 - 17:26

I also thought Bridgehampton at first but the only left-right turn combination was approaching the hairpin, between turns 8 and 9. This area cound not have supported the large crowds in the backround, too many scrub pines. Only watched one race from this area; turn 2 was the only place to be IMO.
The attire of the fans in the paddock doesn't seem fit with the bridge. I think rolling up your jeans became unfashionable in the mid-fifties in the US.

PJM

#13 damamaho

damamaho

• 26 posts

Posted 10 October 2002 - 19:13

I'm sure the warming-up picture is from Mosport, because I have another picture were they drive in the same order.
DAMAMAHO.
www.asag.sk/danny.htm

#14 Martin Krejci

Martin Krejci

• 273 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 07:06

The last five photos are definitely taken in the same turn as the pace lap. The photos were larger, I just cropped them to save download time here. As for the first three photos there is not much more seen on originals. I was told they are from Mosport and didn't doubt it. Also I don't know Bruce McLaren had number 14 anywhere else than at Mosport GP 1965 (but there are plenty of races his number is unknown for me). I am less sure with Chaparrals. They are believed to be from the same race as McLaren #14. I agree Chaparral 2C001 was raced since Kent until end of 1965 but I can't find any photo of it.

#15 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

• 978 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 22:47

Certainly most of these images are from the Mosport event of the Player's 200 in 1966. I personally attended and have a number of snaps with the ol' Box Brownie which would confirm much of what has already been said here. I draw your attention to the pix of the field being paced by the Mustang as it enters corner #3, aka Quebec Corner some years later. You'll note the two marshalls on the driver's right, one waving a flag. This was Gordon Harrison, the blue flag marshall at this station just by ye old gravel pit entering corner 3. Not long after this pix, Jerry Grant lost his Lola T-70 on the exit of 2A and collected poor Gordon. He died on the spot, I believe. I was thankful not to be an eyewitness.