Photo

2003 Canadian GP Questions

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 MarkWRX

MarkWRX

• 844 posts

Posted 10 October 2002 - 19:01

After three trips to the US GP at Indy, we have decided to combine an F1 race and a vacation and are planning to go to Montreal for the Canadian GP next year.

We are planning to arrive the Saturday or Sunday prior to the race and play tourists for several days before the F1 circus comes to town.

I know that the metro system is very good, so we don't have to rent a car. We would like to stay near the city center to be close to the parks, museums, etc. If anyone has a suggestion about the best area to stay, I would appreciate it. I don't mean actual hotels (although that would be nice) but parts of town. Just by checking hotels.com, I can see that most of the hotels seem to jack their rates up quite smartly for the race weekend.

Of course, we would try to eat at New Town before it gets very crowded. Maybe JV will be cooking that night?  ;)

I went to the official site and saw that the tickets for 2002 were sold out. Do they sell out quickly? Any idea on when they will go on sale?

Would appreciate any and all comments about our plans.

Best Regards,
Mark

Advertisement

#2 indycarjunkie

indycarjunkie

• 2,699 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 17:46

Mark, I'm planning a similar thing myself! I'm looking forward to it very much. I've faxed a ticket request for '03 in to them the day after the USGP. Perhaps you should do the same. The fax number is on the online ticket order form. The best we can do is try to order tickets when we get the order info in the mail, right?

#3 dmilani

dmilani

• 3 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 18:13

Hi Markwrx,

I'm new at this so bear with me. If you can find a hotel anywhere near Cresent Street and St. Catherines, that would be great. Cresent is where a majority of the good bars are and they usually have a lot of events going on around there that weekend. Subway access is very close by also. Montreal is a great city and Ille Notre Dame is a great place to view the race.

#4 MarkWRX

MarkWRX

• 844 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 18:30

Indycarjunkie and dmilani -

Thank you both for the good tips. I will send the fax now. I will also check out the areas mentioned, although with a 4 year old daughter, I am not sure about being too close to the best bars, unless the rooms are pretty quiet.

I am really looking forward to this trip. I have heard so many good things about the Canadian GP and Canada that I will be very disappointed if we can't carry this off.

Mark

#5 F1flagger

F1flagger

• 35 posts

Posted 12 October 2002 - 02:53

There's a Comfort Inn on Crescent, but (as with many hotels in that area) reservations are made for the following year as people are checking out. The subway's good enough you don't have to stay right where you want to spend your time. Montreal's a big city with lots of Bed & Breakfasts besides the hotels, and we don't see rate hike's anywhere near those of Indy. That's why we've given up on the USGP (well, that and the polyester coveralls they make the marshalls wear). We've paid less for apartments in Montreal (full kitchen, jacuzzi, right on Rene Levesque) than for a Motel 6 (complete with broken toilet) in Indy. If you find yourself in need of a properly poured pint check out Hurley's on Crescent.

#6 Andy

Andy

• 3,483 posts

Posted 13 October 2002 - 05:06

Also, keep and eye out for a thread in RC which looks kinda like this ;)

http://www.atlasf1.c...hlight=canadian

Usually followed after the Canadian GP by a thread like this one!

http://www.atlasf1.c...hlight=canadian

See ya Here in '03!;)

#7 aportinga

aportinga

• 10,601 posts

Posted 15 October 2002 - 18:24

So the other Andy.... will you be hosting another Meet & Greet? Jport and I are stongly considering attending the race and wouldn't mind helping out where we can. Just let me know.

:up:

#8 Andy

Andy

• 3,483 posts

Posted 16 October 2002 - 20:21

As it stands now I will be organizing the annual, OFFICIAL, Atlas F1 Drunkfest here in Montreal!! :lol: Just kidding, AtlasF1er's are actually very well behaved bunch!;) (Bira's the worst of the lot!!;) :lol: ) If I need a hand I will definately call on you, thanks for the offer!

#9 aportinga

aportinga

• 10,601 posts

Posted 18 October 2002 - 17:55

Sounds good....

Hey we are going to drive and I was wondering can liquor be transfered accross the border? Or is it cheaper there?

What about food.... I had to throw out 40 or so chicken kabobs this year because I messed up on the tailgate. If the party is at a home I'd be happy to do up 60 more and jport is an excellent cook as well! :D

#10 cheesy poofs

cheesy poofs

• 3,243 posts

Posted 18 October 2002 - 18:09

aportinga,

With our canadian dollar going down the drain, everything will be cheaper :lol:
Leave the food at home !
Montreal has some of the finest restaurants you'll ever find. Also, there are many bed & breakfast places in the city that are much more enjoyable than some of those over-priced hotels !

BTW - Andy is a wonderful host :clap:

#11 cheesy poofs

cheesy poofs

• 3,243 posts

Posted 18 October 2002 - 18:17

Check out this link regarding B & B's in Montreal. Scroll down the page to view the ones located in the city and you'll find valuable info.

#12 Andy

Andy

• 3,483 posts

Posted 18 October 2002 - 18:50

Originally posted by cheesy poofs
BTW - Andy is a wonderful host :clap:

:blush: :blush: :lol:

#13 cheesy poofs

cheesy poofs

• 3,243 posts

Posted 18 October 2002 - 19:08

Andy,

Your reaction should have been :blush: :lol: :blush:

#14 74Norton

74Norton

• 5 posts

Posted 18 October 2002 - 19:19

Staying in or near old Montreal is the best bet visually. An absolute must is one of the delis on St.Denys (Denis?), Schwartz's or The Main Street Deli. Montreal smoked meat cannot be beat! Newtown isn't too bad, either, I'm surprised to say. Service was a bit slow during my visit - draw your own conclusions...

#15 Andy

Andy

• 3,483 posts

Posted 18 October 2002 - 21:00

Originally posted by 74Norton
Newtown isn't too bad, either, I'm surprised to say. Service was a bit slow during my visit - draw your own conclusions...

"Inside every Newtown waitress is a Honda engine"!! :lol: :p

#16 CDNgrl

CDNgrl

• 8,366 posts

Posted 22 October 2002 - 16:59

Got my seats confirmed today. :) :D

#17 f1sl

f1sl

• 3,974 posts

Posted 22 October 2002 - 21:31

Originally posted by CDNgrl
Got my seats confirmed today. :) :D

i thought it wasn't untill november 4th :confused:

#18 CDNgrl

CDNgrl

• 8,366 posts

Posted 22 October 2002 - 22:41

Originally posted by f1sl

i thought it wasn't untill november 4th :confused:

I called them. If you were there last year --- you can reserve your seat prior to the the Nov. 4 date. If you are on file, they will release the tickets to you. They want repeat business, so they do this.

#19 MarkWill

MarkWill

• 489 posts

Posted 25 October 2002 - 17:48

Regarding hotels - I live here and I can help you (perhaps) a little. First, it depends what you are prepared to pay (absolute rule # 1). There are many hotels in and around downtown Montreal which, if you are going for the race weekend, you will absolutely want to stay at, as there are several events which take place only downtown. If you can, ALWAYS ask for a corporate rate with hotels - in some cases it cuts the cost by a half (e.g. Novotel, which is well situated, and reasonably-priced only with a corporate rate - around $110 cdn). Yes, the main action is around Crescent street and Peel Street, with some on St. Laurent and St. Dennis Streets as well (but thats more the cool bar, amazing night out/restaurant scene). Crescent Street is the biggest party North of the Calypso-fest in Brazil (I'm not kidding - it REALLY hums and rocks all night), but activity is restrained to between St. Catherine and de Maisonneuve Streets, so if you are away from those intersections (check the map to see what I mean) you will be ok. There's a hotel (Radisson?) on Guy street which is also well-located and quite cheap. My experience of parking is that you can forget trying to park around St. Catherine street, but there are many side-streets or parallel streets which are empty, o if you don't mind a ten-minute walk you can park there and walk up or down (I suggest that you park BELOW St. Catherine Street). Lastly, Andy is a really good source.

Hope this helps

MW

Advertisement

#20 aportinga

aportinga

• 10,601 posts

Posted 28 October 2002 - 16:53

Okay.... Jport and I will be attending the Canadian GP in 2003. I'd like to get some input from folks up there in regards to where we should stay and where we should sit.

That said, I'd like to stay in Montreal for 2 nights and spend $100 - $150 per night (if any fellow members near by have room we will gladly pay you as well).

We'd like to get decent seats - preferably around $100 - $150 per person for access on Saturday and Sunday.

We intend to drive from Chicago and if any of you have any experience regarding such a journey.... your advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

aport

#21 F1Johnny

F1Johnny

• 6,101 posts

Posted 28 October 2002 - 19:49

aport

I believe you can only get single day entry tickets in general admission, but bronze seats cost about CDN$185 for 3 days which is pretty good and you get video screens now. Better start looking for a hotel now. the hotel I stayed at in 2001 for about CDN$200 is now CDN$500 per night. It is so much fun though. I ordered my tickets on friday.

#22 MarkWill

MarkWill

• 489 posts

Posted 28 October 2002 - 22:59

I endorse the hairpin as one of the best areas (if not THE best). I'm checking hotel prices - I'll post what I find over the next few days.

#23 wherezmyz

wherezmyz

• 62 posts

Posted 29 October 2002 - 01:06

One tip for those calling the Canadian GP ticket office: don't hang up after the initial French and English messages, the line sounds like it goes dead and there are no other messages, but you are still connected. I called today and sat through three minutes of silence (bored or desperate to renew last year's seats - I don't know which) and someone ended up taking my order. Don't give up!

#24 Andy

Andy

• 3,483 posts

Posted 29 October 2002 - 20:00

Mark, you want a NICE place to stay CHEAP??? Check out this link but book soon as these places go fast!

http://www.mcgill.ca...idences/summer/

It's the housing on the campuses of McGill University, right downtown Montreal. You can walk to Crescent St., shopping, restaurants, etc. including the Metro (subway) which will take you straight to the track. Basically you get a dorm room, usually with a small fridge, and a continental breakfast for $50.00 CDN ~ $33.00 US/night!! It ain't the Ritz but if all you are looking for is a place to drop your bags and get a good night's sleep, this is definately the way I'd go! Check it out. As the time drew nearer for GP 2002 and the rooms were getting fewer they bumped the prices up to $60 CDN/night! :eek: :lol:

Good luck!

#25 dick

dick

• 724 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 02:01

Aportinga,
My girlfriend and I have been going to the GP for the last seven or eight years also from Chicago. We always fly. If there's anyway you can swing it I'd recommend going for at least 3 days. There's alot going on in Montreal that weekend and it would be tough to cram it in to 2 days. We try to arrive on Thursday. The whole plane is generally full of F1 fans so the party kind of starts on the flight. Remember when you are pricing things, generally they are in Canadian dollars so might not be as bad as you think. The Metro system is great so you really don't need a car. The Bronze grandstand in the hairpin is a great value. I think the tickets are around $185 Canadian so that would be $150 or less US. Don't forget that's for all 3 days.

#26 f1sl

f1sl

• 3,974 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 14:43

Originally posted by Andy
Mark, you want a NICE place to stay CHEAP??? Check out this link but book soon as these places go fast!

http://www.mcgill.ca...idences/summer/

It's the housing on the campuses of McGill University, right downtown Montreal. You can walk to Crescent St., shopping, restaurants, etc. including the Metro (subway) which will take you straight to the track. Basically you get a dorm room, usually with a small fridge, and a continental breakfast for $50.00 CDN ~ $33.00 US/night!! It ain't the Ritz but if all you are looking for is a place to drop your bags and get a good night's sleep, this is definately the way I'd go! Check it out. As the time drew nearer for GP 2002 and the rooms were getting fewer they bumped the prices up to $60 CDN/night! :eek: :lol:

Good luck!

concordai does this too for cheaper even, but your on the wrong side of the city. you need to take a 15 minutes bus ride to get to the nearest subway. i stayed there a few nights over the summer and i didn't really like it there it was dirty and the washrooms hand't been cleaned since the 1800's

http://residence.con....ca/summer.html

#27 Andy

Andy

• 3,483 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 14:50

Originally posted by f1sl

concordai does this too for cheaper even, but your on the wrong side of the city. you need to take a 15 minutes bus ride to get to the nearest subway. i stayed there a few nights over the summer and i didn't really like it there it was dirty and the washrooms hand't been cleaned since the 1800's

So you are recommending it WHY?? :confused:;)

Concordia University is out in the West End of the city and what you may save on the room you will more than spend on taxis and/or buses. McGill is right in the city, on a gorgeous campus, and walking distance to both a Metro station and Crescent St. What more could you want?! :)

#28 Smitty

Smitty

• 3 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 18:04

Got tix confirmed and thanks to cheesy poofs :up: , I now have room reservations at a sweet b&b!! I can't wait!!

Just for info., My gf and I have stayed at McGill for the past two years. It is cheap, clean, and not too bad of a hike should you forgo the taxi/metro thing. I would highly recommend it.

I've sat in 32 and 31 (doing 31 again this year) and had a blast. Can't wait to meet all you forum people and help raise my share of pints!! :clap:

#29 dbltop

dbltop

• 1,664 posts

Posted 31 October 2002 - 00:03

Can anybody tell me how much a weekend silver grandstand at Montreal costs now? We haven't been since 94.

#30 dick

dick

• 724 posts

Posted 31 October 2002 - 00:46

According to the brochure silver grandstands are $340 Canadian. By the way, I agree "Bring back the Glen"!

#31 Andy

Andy

• 3,483 posts

Posted 31 October 2002 - 03:39

Web site has been updated for 2003 GP.

http://www.grandprix.ca/index_eng.html

#32 dbltop

dbltop

• 1,664 posts

Posted 31 October 2002 - 06:59

Thanks for the info guys. Hopefully we will be ordering soon. And yes Dick, I miss the Glen. Camping in the infield and meeting people from around the world, sharing a glass and a story or two was as good as the racing always was there. I remember feeling like I couldn't wait to get back there as we were leaving after the race. Mosport was good too, you could get a good view from anywhere around the track.

#33 aportinga

aportinga

• 10,601 posts

Posted 01 November 2002 - 16:31

This is gonna be tough.... with a vacation to Colorado in August, Engagement ring and and the USGP all slated in already.

I reeeeaaaaallly want to go but I'd hate to do so with no money to enjoy myself while there.

Better get those lottery tickets tonight ;)

#34 kozmo

kozmo

• 135 posts

Posted 01 November 2002 - 17:40

Quebec in 2003!! Confirmed my reservation for Montreal today! Can't wait!

aloha.

#35 indycarjunkie

indycarjunkie

• 2,699 posts

Posted 01 November 2002 - 17:45

Aport,
Don't forget that since Canadians don't use real money that a Montreal trip won't be all that expensive.  ;) I think the present exchange rate is 0.61 CAD to 1 USD.

#36 Berner

Berner

• 1,190 posts

Posted 01 November 2002 - 18:33

Speaking of money.... can I ask our American friends one small favour? Pls exchange your boring greenbacks for colourful Canadian bills and groovy coins AT A BANK !!!! You have no idea how frustrating it is to have tourists asking to change US$100 bills into Canadian at the corner 7-11. We would never expect anyone besides a bank or exchange shop to change our CDN money into American when visiting New York or L.A. Plus,it really slows up the line and confoozes those poor cute little barmaids! I mean you try converting a $6.50 beer into U.S. funds without a calculator while balancing a dozen pints on a tray.

Just a thought to make your visit even more enjoyable!

P.S. Add a side trip to Tremblant and Quebec City if you have the time.

P.P.S. And that tax refund thing you Yanks get to enjoy... well, that's another small irritant for us yocals. Why should you get your tax refunded? You came to Canada, you drove on our highways and drank our water so why shouldn't you contribute to our infrastructure costs? If you must get your $2 back on that hotel room bill, then do it quietly when you're all alone. :kiss: When I'm elected Prime Minister.... ;)

#37 kozmo

kozmo

• 135 posts

Posted 01 November 2002 - 19:13

Berner -

All points are valid and a great post. I can't imagine why my fellow yanks would want to hold on to our boring, monochromatic when alternative is so much more attractive. Maybe the local merchants need to be more heavy handed about their exchange rate to discourage the behavior.

In any case, I am looking forward to seeing Montreal and surroundings. I have been to Ontario many times but never ventured farther east.

Let me know when you begin your campaign for political office; I will be glad to make a token contribution (as long as you take paypal). We need more race fans in politics. :-)

aloha.

#38 Berner

Berner

• 1,190 posts

Posted 01 November 2002 - 20:52

Kozmo, I will kiss your Weimaraner if that's what it takes! And I may be running for political orifice if I keep shooting my mouth off here in the State of Alberta.

McGill rez it is then!

We stay at www.aubergeduvieuxport.com which sells out 30 secs after the race ends. But the rooftop patio is amazing. Cheers.

#39 Bogman

Bogman

• 1,700 posts

Posted 04 November 2002 - 17:49

For those looking for another cheap clean place to stay, the Auberge Alternatif on St. Pierre in Old Montreal is a really clean backpackers place. Not sure if they jack their prices during race weekend, but rooms can usually be had for about $35. And you'd only be 100 yeards down the street from the party at Chateau Bogman. Sorry, all beds at Chateau Bogman are already reserved.

Bring on 2003!!!!

Andy, if ya need help organizing something for next year, let me know. I've got a busy summer planned but I'll be around the city for most of May and June.

Advertisement

#40 Andy

Andy

• 3,483 posts

Posted 04 November 2002 - 18:11

Originally posted by Bogman
Andy, if ya need help organizing something for next year, let me know. I've got a busy summer planned but I'll be around the city for most of May and June.

Done! :up: Just let me know what time to show up!! :lol: :p :lol:

#41 aportinga

aportinga

• 10,601 posts

Posted 05 November 2002 - 21:34

Sadly I do not think that Canada will be an option for us - it saddens me that I can pretty much say this so far before the actual race.

We'll do our best!

:cry:

#42 cheesy poofs

cheesy poofs

• 3,243 posts

Posted 05 November 2002 - 21:44

Originally posted by aportinga

Sadly I do not think that Canada will be an option for us - it saddens me that I can pretty much say this so far before the actual race.

We'll do our best!

Too bad my friend !!
Ask around and you'll see that nothing beats the " entertainment value " you & the missus would've had in this city :D

#43 aportinga

aportinga

• 10,601 posts

Posted 06 November 2002 - 17:38

Yeah I know for sure. But her new job offers her no time off for a year .... she is already taking 5 days off for a Colorado trip in August without pay.

Add to that the cost of an egangement ring for me and the fact that I am seriously thinking of quiting my job and I'd say it probably will not work out. The main reason being is that we need to book rooms and tickets now and I do not want to be short on cash by over $1000.00 if in fact I need it.

This sucks - it's really depressing because I know most of you will not be going to the USGP in 2003. I'd really like to put a few down with the lot of you but it will have to wait I guess.

#44 Frank Grimes

Frank Grimes

• 321 posts

Posted 14 November 2002 - 20:29

Does anybody know of any decent parking garages in Montreal? I'd like to do the McGill-Dorm thing but I'd like to keep my car somewhere else besides on the street for 3 days.

#45 Andy

Andy

• 3,483 posts

Posted 14 November 2002 - 21:59

Originally posted by Frank Grimes
Does anybody know of any decent parking garages in Montreal? I'd like to do the McGill-Dorm thing but I'd like to keep my car somewhere else besides on the street for 3 days.

There's about 4,000,000 of them! Where would you like me to start?! :lol:

#46 Frank Grimes

Frank Grimes

• 321 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 04:43

Good deal. McGill sounds like the way to go.

#47 F1Johnny

F1Johnny

• 6,101 posts

Posted 27 November 2002 - 14:01

Anybody stay here before?

http://www.hutchison...om/home_en.html?

#48 kozmo

kozmo

• 135 posts

Posted 27 November 2002 - 14:28

I already posted this on the other canadian gp thread but since we seem to have two in progress on the same topic, I thought that I would put it here also...

Be advised that Cirque du Soleil will be in town during the Montreal GP in 2003. Although tickets to the show (it is called Dralion) are not open to the general public until sometime in december, if you join the free club at their website, you can access links to purchase tickets now. I just purchased for Thursday night.

I have seen the permanent shows in Vegas and at Disneyworld and they were fantastic. If you are looking for something un-F1 to do while in Montreal, I would highly recommend. Good Luck!

Here is the url, click on the cirque club link at the bottom of the page to join..

Cirque du Soleil

aloha.

#49 cheesy poofs

cheesy poofs

• 3,243 posts

Posted 28 November 2002 - 22:23

Originally posted by F1Johnny

Anybody stay here before?

A friend of mine lived there for some time and the place was really nice looking. I don't really know how much it would cost you for your stay. It's very close to the subway ( 2 minute walk ) and the race track and some 10 minutes away from Crescent St ( home of the world famous AtlasF1 get together ! )

#50 F1Johnny

F1Johnny

• 6,101 posts

Posted 30 November 2002 - 20:27

Thanks cheesy poofs. I got one of the last 2 suites. A little more than I wanted to spend - $360 cdn. For 3 people that's not too bad.