Photo

Anthony Noghes

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 WGD706

WGD706

• 956 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 21:42

Who was he and why is there a corner at Monaco named after him?
Warren

Advertisement

#2 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,863 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 22:01

Tobacco baron, and here's why:

http://www.monaco.mc.../gprix/why.html

The appearance of the Monaco Grand prix on international calendars is the undeniable result of a determined sports policy of the Grand Prix's President Anthony Noghes. In fact it all goes back to the mid-twenties, when Antony Noghes and his friends set up the Automobile Club de Monaco, an association which stemmed from the Sport Automobile et Vélocipédique, which itself already goes back as far as the Sport Vélocipédique Monégasque founded in 1890.
In order to expand and be recognised internationally by the A.I.A.C.R. (Association Internationale des Automobiles Clubs... Reconnus), the predecessor of the International Automobile Federation, which similarly retained the real sports authority and rivalled the European record makers, an automobile sports event had to be organised on its own territory. Being a man of action and a passionate sportsman, Anthony Noghes proposed the creation of an Automobile Grand Prix which would take place right in the streets of the Principality. The idea itself was not new since high speed races were already being fought over in towns, notably in the United-States with the trials of Santa Monica or Corona. As soon as he returned to Monaco. Anthony Noghes had to put his idea into action. He obtained the official support of Prince Louis II and when he presented his plans to Louis Chiron, the famous Monegasque racing driver, he too expressed his enthusiasm. After some analysis, one realised that the topography of the place was admirably well suited to setting up a natural race track.

http://www.formula1....1/05/s5649.html

The traditional advertising landscape for the tobacco barons has its roots in the Monaco Grand Prix. It was conceived in 1929 by cigarette manufacturer Anthony Noghes, now President of the Grand Prix, but then President of the newly formed Automobile Club de Monaco (ACM). In order to expand the club and have it recognised internationally, an automobile sports event had to be organised on its own territory. Noghes proposed the creation of an Automobile Grand Prix, which would take place in the streets of the Principality. Being a close and personal friend of Prince Louise II, Noghes brought his influences to bear and realised his personal ambition, the first race taking place on April 14th 1929, under the Prince's royal patronage.

#3 WGD706

WGD706

• 956 posts

Posted 12 October 2002 - 18:25

Thanks, Richard. Most corner names' origins are easy to figure out, but this one had me wondering.
Warren

#4 Stefan Ornerdal

Stefan Ornerdal

• 578 posts

Posted 12 October 2002 - 20:03

There was a F3/F2 driver in the early 70's, Lionel Noghes, any relation to Anthony?

Stefan

#5 Ralliart

Ralliart

• 669 posts

Posted 15 October 2002 - 03:57

I'm reading a book entitled "Eisenhower: A Soldier's Life" and came across this today. It involves the Allied invasion of North Africa and the battle with Vichy France - "(On) November 10 (1942) the French resident-general, Auguste Nogues, capitulated..." Wonder if he was related.

#6 Graham Clayton

Graham Clayton

• 1,362 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:11

Noghes was commemorated with a stamp after his death in 1990:

http://www.antoinede...estimbreweb.jpg

Here is a picture of Noghes with 1931 Monaco GP winner Louis Chiron:

http://images.forum-...1_CHIRON_06.jpg

#7 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,666 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:14

There was a F3/F2 driver in the early 70's, Lionel Noghes, any relation to Anthony?

Stefan

Stefan,
Nine years ago I know but, from what I can gather, Lionel is the grandson of Anthony. The Noghes seem to be related to the Grimaldi royal family through, I think, the Demassys, as in the Antoine Demassy that appears in Graham's stamp link.

I saw Lionel race an F3 Tecno way back in 1970 but I don't remember him being particularly competitive.

#8 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,409 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 18:25

Noghes was commemorated with a stamp after his death in 1990

Do you connect 1990 to his death or to the release of the stamp?

I have been misled by the text on the stamp before.

For clarification: Antony Noghès who was born in 1890 did not die in 1990, he passed away as early as 1978.