Photo

2003 Australian GP

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 Berner

Berner

• 1,190 posts

Posted 29 October 2002 - 15:49

Well, Friday (Nov. 1st) is the big day when we Oz GP package buyers have to cough up our final - and big - payment. The shock of several '000s running through my VISA card this close before Christmas, and right after paying for the Canadian GP (and my Montreal hotel deposit), is a bit much for my old system. However, with temperatures here hovering around the zero mark and snow on the ground, I do dream fondly of the palm trees, outdoor cafes and a glass of a wonderful Shiraz in beautiful Melbourne.

Anyone else going? Organizing an Atlas get together? Looking forward to the new qualifying format on the Friday? Got any hot hotel or club suggestions?

See you all there.

Advertisement

#2 Bumper

Bumper

• 1,967 posts

Posted 29 October 2002 - 16:14

Berner, lucky you for going, you will absolutely love it. I've been going there for the last couple of years and the whole atmosphere is brilliant, one big party and the Aussies are the friendliest people you can imagine. I most probably won't be able to make it there next year as my boss is not allowing me to go on leave during that period, but one tip I can give you is if you're looking for hotels, first of all they will all triple their prices, doesn't matter whether they're budget or 5 star hotels, expect to pay a lot more than usual but the sooner you book the better, in Dec it will all be booked up already, so try and book now if you can, you'll have more choice.

#3 niwanda

niwanda

• 128 posts

Posted 29 October 2002 - 16:40

Well, I will be going from Malaysia, if nothing major happens (knock on wood)!!. Kinda busy preparing for the trip that I haven't even checked on Atlas for quite a bit.

Just wait for an Aussie GP thread to appear in Feb or so, then! :wave:

#4 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,694 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 13:20

Was supposed to go but i won't be now. Forget clubs .... try to goto an AFL night game if the pre season is one ;)

Question ... from memory you're in Canada .... would ya choose OZ of Toronto to live in??

#5 Berner

Berner

• 1,190 posts

Posted 31 October 2002 - 16:36

To clarify: this will be our fourth (and likely last) consecutive Oz GP. We've enjoyed all our visits to date and are adding New Zealand to this year's itinerary. And yes, we'll be heading off to Colonial(?) Stadium to watch some brutes kill each other.

Alfa-boy: I replied to you re Sydney vs Toronto on that string. My dream world is winters in Hunter Valley (only 2-3 hours to Sydney) and summers in Old Montreal (F1 and mega festivals). Not only is it financially do-able but it keeps me and the missus tipsy for 11 months of the year!

Ciao.

#6 AdrianM

AdrianM

• 4,854 posts

Posted 16 November 2002 - 11:05

Does anyone know some good cheap accomodation close to the Melbourne CBD? If I do go it will have to be budget :

#7 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,694 posts

Posted 16 November 2002 - 20:12

Originally posted by AdrianM
Does anyone know some good cheap accomodation close to the Melbourne CBD? If I do go it will have to be budget :

It's not REAL close to the CBD but easy to get to by tram .... try the North Melboyrne YHA for $50 a night for a three person room. It's BASIC but clean as you will find anywhere.

#8 AdrianM

AdrianM

• 4,854 posts

Posted 17 November 2002 - 00:59

Originally posted by Alfisti

It's not REAL close to the CBD but easy to get to by tram .... try the North Melboyrne YHA for $50 a night for a three person room. It's BASIC but clean as you will find anywhere.

Thanks Alfisti. I will look them up :up:

#9 Martin Roessler

Martin Roessler

• 351 posts

Posted 25 November 2002 - 00:19

Just moved to Australia and will definately be on the Australian GP next year :D
My last F1 visit was in 84 at the Hockenheim Ring in Germany....I think quite a bit has changed since that ;)

#10 flyboy

flyboy

• 387 posts

Posted 06 December 2002 - 20:37

Help! We have our tickets and rooms in Melbourne and are all set for the GP weekend but we want to do some touring prior to the race. Probably Sydney-Brisbane-Melbourne or something similiar. The last time we went we rented a car and drove around NSW and Victoria but that takes a lot of time. Any recommendations on where to find the best airfares within Australia?

#11 AdrianM

AdrianM

• 4,854 posts

Posted 07 December 2002 - 03:07

The best airfares within Australia are with Virgin - www.virgin.com.au

#12 flyboy

flyboy

• 387 posts

Posted 08 December 2002 - 02:11

Adrian, Thanks, I will give them a try.

#13 boost

boost

• 2,199 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 05:36

Just booked our flights and rooms. Getting there a bit earlier this year.
Usually i would arrive Wed/Thurs and head straight to the track.
This year gonna get there Sun/Mon and see if i can find some drivers doing PR duties.
Cant wait. :up:

Oh flying virgin :)

#14 OssieFan

OssieFan

• 841 posts

Posted 12 January 2003 - 02:54

I'm in the process of finding everything (rooms, tickets etc).

One question, I think it was here at Atlas that someone had a link to one of the official AGP sites that had these panoramic pictures from each grandstand that you could scroll around. I've looked at both grandprix.com.au and the travel office site but they don't seem to have them anymore.

Does anyone know where I can find these?
Thanks

#15 Wheels

Wheels

• 242 posts

Posted 12 January 2003 - 21:53

I've got flight, tix & rooms elsewhere in OZ, but can't get a room for GP wknd in Melbourne.
Any help appreciated!!!!!!

#16 Nikolas Garth

Nikolas Garth

• 12,019 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 03:08

Wheels,

Do a search in google on "Motels Melbourne or accommodation Melbourne"

Are you after 2 Star, 3 Star, 4 Star or 5 Star accommodation?

#17 Phillip

Phillip

• 81 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 07:58

Always hard to get accomadation for the GP mostly its because the travel companys all block book the hotels so they can do package deals. Top hotels start arround $300 - $500 a night. Smaller hotels jammed in middle of CBD go at $180 - $300 a night. Budget Motels on edge of CBD $100 - $200 a night. Plus they always charge a $20 a night surcharge just because theres a GP on.

I usually book in October when I confirm my flights and stay in the GuestHouse below Costs for me $79 a night, Nice quiet place.Very handy to the MCG and tram lines, Its possible they still have openings as last year a Canadian Family I met over Breakfast only booked in a month before GP. Have a Squizz at there homepage for feel of the place and rates and drop them an E-Mail if interested.

Georgian Court/

#18 Nikolas Garth

Nikolas Garth

• 12,019 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 11:50

Originally posted by Phillip
I usually book in October when I confirm my flights and stay in the GuestHouse below Costs for me $79 a night, Nice quiet place.Very handy to the MCG and tram lines, Its possible they still have openings as last year a Canadian Family I met over Breakfast only booked in a month before GP. Have a Squizz at there homepage for feel of the place and rates and drop them an E-Mail if interested.

Georgian Court/

Phillip,
How nice are the rooms and surroundings at that place?

I rang them up last week and they quoted me $125(That's $125 Aussie Dollars BTW :) ) for a single ensuite room.

For $79 does your room have an ensuite(also what kind of room did you book, a single, double?), and are you saying that if you book as early as October, they don't hit you with a Grand Prix surcharge?

#19 Wheels

Wheels

• 242 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 18:19

Philip, I'll try the guest house. Hope the have rooms left. I really can do any level 2,3,or 4 star, but do need a room for me & my bud.

Thanks for the help. Hope to c u in Melbourne. Is there an Atlas get together planned?

Advertisement

#20 Wheels

Wheels

• 242 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 22:04

FYI,

Just heard from Georgian Ct. There ar NO rooms left.....

#21 Nikolas Garth

Nikolas Garth

• 12,019 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 22:47

Wheels,
Check these out:

http://melbourne.hot...lbourne/sel.asp

#22 Nikolas Garth

Nikolas Garth

• 12,019 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 22:51

Wheels,
Last Thursday when I rang, this place still had some rooms, and it is very centrally located to everything in Melbourne, has trams that take you straight to the GP, nearby.

http://www.holidayci...ourne/index.htm

#23 Nikolas Garth

Nikolas Garth

• 12,019 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 22:54

A good link for finding Hotels in Melbourne:

http://www.holidayci...elbournehotels/

#24 Phillip

Phillip

• 81 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 04:51

Originally posted by Nikolas Garth
Phillip,
How nice are the rooms and surroundings at that place?

I rang them up last week and they quoted me $125(That's $125 Aussie Dollars BTW :) ) for a single ensuite room.

For $79 does your room have an ensuite(also what kind of room did you book, a single, double?), and are you saying that if you book as early as October, they don't hit you with a Grand Prix surcharge?

House is a very old Victorian era Mansion converted into a Hotel. This means for the most part rooms are what you would call Small.
My room is just a single has double bed small fridge TV, radio alarm, and a closet. and I make use of the 4 Bathrooms across the hall, although that has the disadvantage of me always leaving my shampoo behind (its usually there the next day) it means more money can be spent on Beer. Im not charged a surcharge because im there for 2 weeks. The rooms with Ensuites a nice, the room with a Spa bath is rather cosy too. Best reason for staying is the price suits my wallet and free breakfasts consisting of wide variety of breads, cereals, Fruits ETC. very handy for filling up before the GP.

#25 Wheels

Wheels

• 242 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 16:29

Nickolas,

Trying all your recommendations; hopefully 1 will work or it's wait till nxt yr.

Thanks 4 your help.

#26 Berner

Berner

• 1,190 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 19:06

May I also recommend this site for last minute deals: www.wotif.com

Hope this helps.

#27 OssieFan

OssieFan

• 841 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 12:19

I reserved a room at the George Powlett Motel in East Melbourne (only a couple of minutes by tram into town), they may have a room or two left. It's pricey at $139 per night for a twin share/double, single is $124 but at this stage there isn't much left.

#28 Wheels

Wheels

• 242 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 16:20

Thanks 4 all your help. I found a room at the Atlantis; a bit pricey, but what the hell I'm traveling halfway around the world so I'll need a good 2-3 hrs a night sleep.

Now, is there an Atlas get together at night? Would like to meet you chaps & buy a beer as a thank you for your help& an excuse to party. BTW we're sitting at Brabham anyone there 2?

#29 flyboy

flyboy

• 387 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 01:32

Wheels, my wife and I are in Brabham as well. Great view of the start!

#30 Phillip

Phillip

• 81 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 06:03

Its a small world as I to am in Brabham with 3 mates from aussie section F, row A seats 31-34

#31 Wheels

Wheels

• 242 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 14:57

That's great, but who of u from OZ is going to organize a meet & greet at some pub in Melbourne?
We do it for the Atlas group in Canada & US & it's great fun I think. I can't always remember the next day.

Fri PM would be great. That way we'd all know each other at the race.

#32 flyboy

flyboy

• 387 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 15:31

Wheels & Phillip, My wife and I are in Brabham, sect. F, Row R, 37&38. We will be there from Thursday on. Look us up and I will stop by your seats.

#33 Wheels

Wheels

• 242 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 18:45

Don't know my seat #'s yet, but will certainly look u up at Brabham on Fri/Sat since we won't arrive until Fri.

#34 Phillip

Phillip

• 81 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 05:16

woohoo got my ticket today nice silver one this year. if anyones looking for me I'll be the big bugger with the beard.

#35 OssieFan

OssieFan

• 841 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 11:22

Is it possible to buy tickets at a physical outlet as opposed to off the internet or over the phone? Is ticketmaster the only place to get tickets?

#36 Nikolas Garth

Nikolas Garth

• 12,019 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 11:28

Anyone interested in buying a ticket to the Moss Stand? It cost about $390, I would sell it for $300.

I don't have the ticket in front of me, but I ordered it a good few weeks ago, so it is IMHO, one of the best seats available in that stand.

Anyone interested should PM me, and we will see what we can work out. :)

#37 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,482 posts

Posted 23 January 2003 - 05:43

Suggestion for best viewing sections and what makes them so?

#38 Nikolas Garth

Nikolas Garth

• 12,019 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 04:02

Ok, more info about my ticket for sale. :)

As I have already stated it is in the Moss Stand, it is in Section D(the furthermost left side of the stand), Block 1 Seat Number F 5.

I chose this stand and was really happy with the positioning of the seat/ticket I bought, if it wasn't for something that came up, I would have loved being there.

This section will give you an opportunity to see the following things:

1.The cars as they hit top speed(Was in the Brabham stand in 2001, it just didn't have the sensation of speed I was after)
2.Great view of the start
3.Great view of the cars coming out of the pits and merging back into traffic
4.Any car setting up another for an overtake at the end of the straight
5.I think you will have a reasonable view of the podium celebrations, but you will be somewhat to the side of it, so I am not certain.
6.It has a big screen to let you follow the race as well.

The ticket cost me AUD$389 + Postage, I am selling it for AUD$300.

PM me if you are interested.

Should also mention for those who might not realise, the ticket, like all Grandstand Tickets at the AusGP, gives you entry for every day of the GP.

#39 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,694 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 01:21

A tip to those from overseas.

Bring suncream and a wide brimmed hat (not a baseball cap) ......... you're not in Kansas anymore Dorathy ;)

Sit in the sun with no hat and cream and forget going to the race the next day .... you'll in your hotel peeling the skin from your face. It's been THAT HOT this year.

Advertisement

#40 OssieFan

OssieFan

• 841 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 10:51

Originally posted by Alfisti
A tip to those from overseas.

Bring suncream and a wide brimmed hat (not a baseball cap) ......... you're not in Kansas anymore Dorathy ;)

Sit in the sun with no hat and cream and forget going to the race the next day .... you'll in your hotel peeling the skin from your face. It's been THAT HOT this year.

Good advice, wear plenty of sunscreen, even on overcast days, I went last year and got burnt on race day even though it wasn't particularly sunny.

#41 Wheels

Wheels

• 242 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 18:59

Thanks for the tip. Got any more for us foreigners? Were sitting in Brabham. Is it stadium seats or individual seats & should we bring our own food/drinks or r there GOOD consessions near the stand?

What r the bars/places/restaurants/etc we must see in Melbourne. We will only b there until Tuesday.

#42 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,694 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 04:47

Originally posted by Wheels
Thanks for the tip. Got any more for us foreigners? Were sitting in Brabham. Is it stadium seats or individual seats & should we bring our own food/drinks or r there GOOD consessions near the stand?

What r the bars/places/restaurants/etc we must see in Melbourne. We will only b there until Tuesday.

I tend to bring my own because of the cost but you're using US dollars so no worries there. Melbourne is by far, far, far the best organised GP I have been to. Canada, Spa and Monza are all atrocious so you will have a stress free time. Go to Lygon st and King St for the clubs/bars.

Oh ... and visit Sydney ... here's why ...

I took this yesterday ..

Posted Image

#43 theMot

theMot

• 6,196 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 09:00

I would bring your own food if i were you, just go to one of the deli's around melbourne that make nice gorumet sandwitchs and take a few of those in. Its a bit expsive in there but everything expensive to fisti cause he's a stingy **** :lol:

How was Canada badly organised? I thought it was pretty good :up:

#44 TailHappy

TailHappy

• 2,744 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 01:27

I concur with the aussies about being prepared for the heat. I wore shorts most days last year and when I went to stand up half of my legs were fried to the seat. This year I'll be investing in some very lightweight long pants and tops (singlet was another bad idea..... and not just because my unshapely body scares everyone).

And if you are taking food in..... I might suggest those oversized sandwiches from some of Melbournes nice delis. This may be for the cost reasons, as some have mentioned, or it may also be because two of these were ample to conceal my two hip flasks of whiskey.

Cheers
TailHappy

#45 theMot

theMot

• 6,196 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 07:50

Originally posted by TailHappy
I concur with the aussies about being prepared for the heat. I wore shorts most days last year and when I went to stand up half of my legs were fried to the seat.

Last year it was raining...

Daz looks like he's been dipped in napi san and burns straight away, last year even he was fine.

#46 OssieFan

OssieFan

• 841 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 11:47

Originally posted by theMot

Not during the race.

#47 TailHappy

TailHappy

• 2,744 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 20:09

Daz looks like he's been dipped in napi san and burns straight away, last year even he was fine.

Ha! You call that rain? However, yes, I do recall last year being no-where near as bad as 2001 for the heat.

Cheers
TailHappy

#48 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,694 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 08:58

How was Canada badly organised? I thought it was pretty good :up:

Was a friggin' mess ... go see the thread in RC.

#49 Nikolas Garth

Nikolas Garth

• 12,019 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 05:41

Originally posted by Nikolas Garth
Anyone interested in buying a ticket to the Moss Stand? It cost about $390, I would sell it for $300.

I don't have the ticket in front of me, but I ordered it a good few weeks ago, so it is IMHO, one of the best seats available in that stand.

Anyone interested should PM me, and we will see what we can work out. :)

Ticket has been sold peeps. :)

#50 Wheels

Wheels

• 242 posts

Posted 11 February 2003 - 23:27

Just got my seat #'s. We're in Brabham, Sec. D, Row R, Seats 18&19.

See u guys on Sat if we can stay awake after the flight across the BIG pond.

BTW is there going 2 b an Atlas get together on Fri/Sat night?