Photo

1934: Caracciola on Auto Union

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Holger Merten

Holger Merten

• 1,836 posts

Posted 01 November 2002 - 21:26

In September 1934 at the GP of Italy, Rudolf Caracciola drove for Auto Union. It was a testdrive before the race. Does anybody know more about that testdrive, the decissons of Caracciola later on to stay in the MB team. Cause after his accident in Monaco for Scuderia Ferrari in 1933 he had a complicated broke of his leg, which also was a problem for his 2nd start in his career in the MB team. May this day in the Auto Union could be the chance to change the team, but he didn't take it, although his status in the MB team in 1934 wasn't settled at all.

Advertisement

#2 Milan Fistonic

Milan Fistonic

• 1,769 posts

Posted 01 November 2002 - 23:51

Originally posted on the "Guest Drives" thread.

From A Racing Driver's World.

Our manager, Dr. Feuereissen, and Neubauer once permitted Rosemeyer and me to exchange cars during practice at Monza. It was a sensation; Rosemeyer in a Mercedes and I in an Auto-Union - on the practice cars, of course.

When Rosemeyer got out he said; "Man, what marvellous brakes you've got! And how the thing hugs the road..."

I said, "a magnificent motor - from lowest to highest speed, and it picks up so smoothly..."

We agreed that the ideal racing car for 1939 should have a Mercedes chassis with Mercedes brakes and Auto-Union engine.

"But," I said, "with the engine in front."

#3 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 02 November 2002 - 00:05

Originally posted by Milan Fistonic

Our manager, Dr. Feuereissen, and Neubauer once permitted Rosemeyer and me to exchange cars during practice at Monza. It was a sensation; Rosemeyer in a Mercedes and I in an Auto-Union - on the practice cars, of course.

When Rosemeyer got out he said; "Man, what marvellous brakes you've got! And how the thing hugs the road..."

I said, "a magnificent motor - from lowest to highest speed, and it picks up so smoothly..."

We agreed that the ideal racing car for 1939 should have a Mercedes chassis with Mercedes brakes and Auto-Union engine.

And that wasn't 1934 - that was in 1937, I guess...
Rosemeyer was still unknown to GP racing in 1934, and he died early in 1938...

#4 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,188 posts

Posted 02 November 2002 - 00:43

This one, Holger?

Posted Image
Caratsch during practice at the 1934 Italian Grand Prix.

#5 Holger Merten

Holger Merten

• 1,836 posts

Posted 02 November 2002 - 08:34

This one Hans!

I never recogniced that, but a deep look yesterday in one of my MB books(Caracciola, Titan am Volant) which I got from DCC in 1996, - a deep look also in MB books sometimes is interesting. Does anybody know more about drivers testing the Auto Unions, when, why and which result?

#6 Michael Müller

Michael Müller

• 1,181 posts

Posted 02 November 2002 - 21:21

This "test drive" together with another photo was part of the 8W game some time ago, but I'm not able to find it back.

#7 Holger Merten

Holger Merten

• 1,836 posts

Posted 02 November 2002 - 21:42

Thanks Michael, I must ask Racer.Demon.

Originally posted by Milan Fistonic

Nice idea. But it was Stuck, who could testdrive the Mercedes 1934 at the Masaryk GP, hew was faster then the whole MB-team, so Neubauer was very angry, but the next day Stuck won the race on his Auto Union Typ A. Caracciola stayed with MB and Stuck with AU. Interesting, if they had changed their teams?

#8 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,869 posts

Posted 02 November 2002 - 23:32

Holger: http://8w.forix.com/8w-a01.html

Nice picture but a lot of waffle from Leif! :p

#9 Leif Snellman

Leif Snellman

• 1,136 posts

Posted 03 November 2002 - 00:42

You never have had to write something with a deadline, Richard? :p :lol:
Seriously, I think the car on the pictures is a 1934 model but it doesn't fit into a Caracciola - Rosemeyer car swapping scenario. So I have some idea that Caracciola perhaps is doing a "Neubauer" in the book.

#10 Holger Merten

Holger Merten

• 1,836 posts

Posted 03 November 2002 - 07:08

Originally posted by Leif Snellman
(...))I think the car on the pictures is a 1934 model but it doesn't fit into a Caracciola - Rosemeyer car swapping scenario. (...)

It is a Typ A. Definetly.

And thank you for the link, Vitesse 2.

#11 Holger Merten

Holger Merten

• 1,836 posts

Posted 03 November 2002 - 10:19

Leif, I read the article on 8W, if you need more informations on Caracciola's and Stucks testdrive in 1934 than let's stay in contact. I wrote it in this thread. Caracciola on Typ A in Monza and Stuck in Brünn on the W 25.

#12 Holger Merten

Holger Merten

• 1,836 posts

Posted 03 November 2002 - 12:25

Monza 1934 seemed to be the Auto Union test track for finding some serios racing drivers in 1935, cause Varzi also make a testdrive on the Typ A of Stuck.

#13 sundance76

sundance76

• 23 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:58

Monza 1934.

Caracciola, Auto Union Type A:

Posted Image

#14 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 11,080 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 15:01

Of course it must have been Stuck that did the exchange with Caracciola in 1934 because Rosemeyer had not even been in a race for Auto Union yet, he was a DKW motorcycle factory driver and had just been signed by Auto Union for 1935 as a junior driver after he came second (after Paul Pietsch) in an audition test with 11 other drivers at the Nürburgring (1 day on the Südschleiffe & 1 day on the Nordschleiffe) so Rosemeyer could not have done an exchange with Caracciola in 1934, he would only make his debut at Avus in 1935.