Photo

Return of the Connew... story!

• Please log in to reply
265 replies to this topic

#251 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,327 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 22:40

I have just read the artcle linked by BRG and am lost for words.

Suggest others read.

Very interesting read. Also, just below that piece, a link to the obit column:

http://www.telegraph...r-obituary.html

Advertisement

#252 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 1,687 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:59

Apparently, once a F1 car designer, always a F1 car designer!  Peter Connew in the news today.

In my experience unless you are signed up to the DT website you cannot open any articles online, the text is removed altogether leaving just the opening image on a darkened background plus the blah at the bottom of the page about other bits of the paper.

#253 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 23,849 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:21

In my experience unless you are signed up to the DT website you cannot open any articles online, the text is removed altogether leaving just the opening image on a darkened background plus the blah at the bottom of the page about other bits of the paper.

Sounds like you've hit their monthly download limit. Clear any Telegraph cookies in your browser and then set it to clear Telegraph cookies on exit. This will enable you to bypass their paywall - unless you look at more than twenty pages in any one session.  ;)

#254 john winfield

john winfield

• 1,033 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:27

Sounds like you've hit their monthly download limit. Clear any Telegraph cookies in your browser and then set it to clear Telegraph cookies on exit. This will enable you to bypass their paywall - unless you look at more than twenty pages in any one session.  ;)

Agreed Richard.  I try not to look at the Telegraph website too often, for health reasons, and have no problem when occasionally I do.  :)

Edited by john winfield, 13 December 2013 - 12:28.

#255 MCS

MCS

• 3,532 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 14:51

Would this be because you are based abroad, Paul?

I don't know - I am just guessing.  I sometimes struggle to connect to some "UK-based" sites when I am in continental Europe.

#256 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,654 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 20:55

I read here in Oz. Though that was when it was current a couple of days ago. The problem with many of these links they are only current for a day or two

#257 962C

962C

• 126 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:10

I just found these pictures posted by "Jno10" on the Autodiva forum. I don't remember seeing them before. Even if they're not new, they're worth reposting anyway.

7ntt.jpg

3vv7.jpg

8mvh.jpg

No mention of a copyright.

#258 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,825 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:56

The middle one of the three pictures is unknown to both Peter and myself.

#259 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,567 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 13:01

The top one,( I cannot see the first one so it is the middle one for some of you) is probably the finest shot of the workings of the car I have seen. To say credit where credit is due to the designer and builders seems grossly unworthy of what they achieved with so little in the  way of key resources - space, time, manpower and money. Truly one of the most  significant design and build achievements in F1. Usual disclaimers

Roger Lund

Advertisement

#260 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,438 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 15:05

I'm not signed up to the Daily Telegraph but I read it every day - Perhaps it's an out-of-the-UK thing.

#261 yulzari

yulzari

• 22 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 15:39

Hot news! Capricorn to buy the Nurburgring. Will their return to the F1 world mean Connew is reborn?

Perhaps not as it is an unconnected engineering group not the seafood firm. But still Capricorn.

#262 funformula

funformula

• 193 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 18:28

The middle one of the three pictures is unknown to both Peter and myself.

The person working at the rear end of the car...is it you?

Was this picture taken in France? The first picture is obviouslytaken at the Nuerburgring. The last one might be taken in Austria? Francois Migault is sitting in a proper seat here while the second picture are showing foam sheets instead.

#263 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,825 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 20:17

The person visible at the back of the car is our Chief Mechanic Roger Doran.

The person on the right is something of a mystery but we think it is probably Francois Migault's friend Roger Schweitzer, the former race driver who drove our truck out to Austria.

#264 Repco22

Repco22

• 707 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:41

The top one,( I cannot see the first one so it is the middle one for some of you) is probably the finest shot of the workings of the car I have seen. To say credit where credit is due to the designer and builders seems grossly unworthy of what they achieved with so little in the  way of key resources - space, time, manpower and money. Truly one of the most  significant design and build achievements in F1. Usual disclaimers

Roger Lund

Seconded!

#265 Otto Grabe

Otto Grabe

• 57 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:41

IMHO all pics are taken in the old paddock of the ring (the first two at least) at different times at the very same spot. In the chronologigal order 2, 1 and 3. See the blocks and the white line to the right.

#266 Cargo

Cargo

• 224 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:13

Roger Lund

Seconded!

Thirded!  :up:  Well done PC and BB... a very neat piece of engineering. Good...