Photo

Return of the Connew... story!

• Please log in to reply
323 replies to this topic

#301 RTH

RTH

• 5,802 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 08:09

Peter Connew and cousin Barry Boor  - for the first time ever in public- at the Herts film show -  - are going to tell the story of the Connew-Ford PC1 they built in a lock up garage in Chadwell Heath Essex and the raced in the world Championship in 1972.

..........and they are going to bring the monocoque and other parts of the car along  as a hall exhibit.Along with photos & film.

See the Herts Film Show thread for all the details............. on Saturday 2nd May 2015.

Advertisement

#302 RTH

RTH

• 5,802 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 15:42

All being well it will be great to welcome Doug Nye back as interviewer, moderator. and presenter  of some of his recent  motor sport  finds and rarities.

#303 group7

group7

• 152 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 15:30

this may have been mentioned here before (apologies) if so, on Autodiva from france, there is a thread on Francois Migault, driver of the Connew, with a number of photos I've not seen before. one has to register to see them, so cannot do a link.

group7

#304 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,012 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 20:25

We are making good progress with our DFV engine castings. I spent much of today drilling holes in the two cam covers and tapping threads into some of those holes.

Peter aims to make the engine indistinguishable from a real one although as aluminium castings shrink on cooling, the engine will be about 2% smaller than a real one, but probably just as heavy, despite the fact that it will have no crank, pistons, valves, ca shafts etc because the aluminium castings are very thick.

Sorry to say that we have made no progress towards obtaining a Hewland DG300 gearbox. Several people at Richard's film show expressed the fact that they might know someone who could help but nothing has come about yet.

Peter's son Chris shot a video of part of the film show and if you weren't there but want to see what it was all about, click this link to You Tube.

The sound quality is not great - the acoustics in the hall are probably the reason but it will give you a fair idea.

#305 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,954 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 05:03

Very good presentation. Very well done and thanks to Peter and Barry. And Doug too.

the only disapointment was not actually seeing the car itself. 

I really hope that they can get it as a runner as Peter said. But a roller with dummy engine is a good way too display it.

#306 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,266 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 13:57

Glad the "DFV" is coming on, just sorry I have been less succesful with a gearbox :confused:

#307 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,264 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 22:04

Really enjoyed that, thanks Peter, Barry & Chris

#308 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,012 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 22:24

Well, Chris, you now know just about as much about the whole saga as we do.

#309 Mistron

Mistron

• 881 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 19:08

Not sure if it'll be of any use, but it looks like someone (other than Hewland) is making parts for the DG300. not sure if they'd make prts for a dummy casing?

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3aac9e5f72

Al

#310 funformula

funformula

• 255 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 19:18

Not sure if it'll be of any use, but it looks like someone (other than Hewland) is making parts for the DG300. not sure if they'd make prts for a dummy casing?

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3aac9e5f72

Al

Thats exactly what I wanted to post...but Mistron was quicker..

Here is another link to a DG300 for sale, not sure if it´s still availlable but it may worth a try http://www.racecar-a..._300_gears.html

Edited by funformula, 29 June 2015 - 19:19.

#311 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,264 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 20:06

Well, Chris, you now know just about as much about the whole saga as we do.

Very much looking forward to the next chapter Barry :up:

#312 RTH

RTH

• 5,802 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 10:44

We are making good progress with our DFV engine castings. I spent much of today drilling holes in the two cam covers and tapping threads into some of those holes.

Peter aims to make the engine indistinguishable from a real one although as aluminium castings shrink on cooling, the engine will be about 2% smaller than a real one, but probably just as heavy, despite the fact that it will have no crank, pistons, valves, ca shafts etc because the aluminium castings are very thick.

Sorry to say that we have made no progress towards obtaining a Hewland DG300 gearbox. Several people at Richard's film show expressed the fact that they might know someone who could help but nothing has come about yet.

Peter's son Chris shot a video of part of the film show and if you weren't there but want to see what it was all about, click this link to You Tube.

The sound quality is not great - the acoustics in the hall are probably the reason but it will give you a fair idea.

Well done Chris Connew making the film -The hall is a big space with a high vaulted ceiling with hard walls and floor the resulting echo  does make acoustics a trial - perhaps if you all came in foam rubber suits ?

Next time we will plug the camera sound feed in to the PA system to get  voices straight off the microphones - great effort and it does give those who have not been before some idea of what happens on the day.Even though it is just 40 mins out of  8 hours on a Saturday.

Next Film show for you diaries is Saturday 17th October 2015

PS they really do need some help finding an old Hewland DG300 gearbox casing if anyone can help at all- be so nice to see it of 4 wheels again.

Edited by RTH, 08 July 2015 - 13:49.

#313 Robin Fairservice

Robin Fairservice

• 522 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 15:04

Re. the gearbox. Would it be possible to borrow one, have it scanned and then "print" one.  You only need the outside. It would need to be painted the correct colour.

#314 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 15,293 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 15:20

Next for you diaries is 10th October

Has the date changed, Richard? You said 17th October in your email after the May event.

#315 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,954 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 22:46

Re. the gearbox. Would it be possible to borrow one, have it scanned and then "print" one.  You only need the outside. It would need to be painted the correct colour.

At a guess it would need to have enough function to support the car and driveshafts. So at least a crown wheel carrier and side hats.

I am surprised there is not a few around, ones that have been cracked or the cases just plain stretched. Big HP cars it seems flexed those cases out of shape with the inevitable cracking. If welded they are then harder and harder to set up the gears. But still perfectly useable to at least push the car around with no gears in the case, diff or gearbox sections.

#316 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 2,000 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 09:00

I used to have a suitably knackered FG casing but it was never returned and I've lost track of it.

Have you tried Peter Smith (PDS, Hewland classic) he's apparently very helpful and must have replaced many casings, so might have something suitable lying around - or could be tempted into some form of sponsorship deal?

#317 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,012 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 09:13

As it happens, we have been in touch with PDS. They were not able to help.

We keep getting the same answer. Any damaged boxes are repaired and re-used. Unusable ones are extremely rare. We have a list of Hewland repairers that Peter plans to contact when he returns from a holiday. This list is thanks to Richard.

It would have to be a DG300. The FG won't support our rear suspension.

We are very grateful for all the suggestions that TNEffers have been making about our project.

By the way, in order to get the car actually running, a new DG300 could be required, and they are currently priced at over £20,000!!

#318 opplock

opplock

• 180 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 15:53

Barry, thank you for posting the film. I'm kicking myself for not having attended.

#319 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 2,000 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 22:30

If a new one is 20 odd grand you can see why they repair them!
It was so much easier when Roger Hurst was around he'd have dug something up, nowadays most owners of similar cars just say who do I write the cheque to...

Might it be possible to make a wooden or fibreglass version?

Advertisement

#320 RTH

RTH

• 5,802 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 05:43

Has the date changed, Richard? You said 17th October in your email after the May event.

Whooops !!

My mistake Tim  - yes of course  the next film show is

Saturday 17th October 2015

#321 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,012 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 05:53

Excellent! Then I can go as I will be back from Malta by then.

#322 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 15,293 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 06:06

Whooops !!

My mistake Tim  - yes of course  the next film show is

Saturday 17th October 2015

Thanks Richard - looking forward to it.

#323 RTH

RTH

• 5,802 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 14:03

Someone somewhere, must have a DG 300 gearbox not in use, however poor/broken /empty the casing ,however incomplete ,and /or with useless internal components.

They were in nearly all F1 cars of that period, in sportscars in F5000 cars and more - hundreds must be in circulation.

If anyone has any ideas at all .......do please follow it up and let us see if between us we can find them something at least they can start to work with  no matter where in the world it is .

Peter & Barry are pushing the rest of the car along nicely  but a DG300 gearbox holds the back end of the car on and without it they can go no further.

Initial aim is a car on 4 wheels that looks complete and original for display .

Beyond that the final ambition is a running car that for instance  could run and be demonstrated ( not raced) at such places as Goodwood, Cholmondley etc  and other  spectator  events.

So any ideas anyone ? Surely we must be able to help them !

#324 Sisyphus

Sisyphus

• 140 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 18:07

I understand a plastic 3D printed model will not do the job since it needs to support the back of the car.  You could make one by additive manufacturing out of metal but that technology is probably not available and cheap enough to be practical.

But if you get a 3D scan of a gearbox (the accuracy is incredible--within a few ten thousandths of an inch), you can turn that into a solid model and then 5 axis mill one out of a chunk of aluminum since it doesn't need to be functional.  It shouldn't be too big a deal to do that if you can get someone on board with a 5 axis mill.

Could you get a local university or tech school interested in this as a project?  Where ever people are being trained to make 5 axis milled parts from solid models, they need to make something--why not your gearbox?