Mainly aimed at those who attended the film show back in May but possibly of passing interest to one or two others, I can tell you that Peter and I have been working steadily (but slowly) on our dummy engine.
The aluminium castings were given, free of charge, by Karl Foulkes-Halbard from the Filching Manor Museum near Polegate in Sussex. Sadly, there were two pieces that Karl couldn't find and this meant that I had to make fibreglass copies of the sections. One was this one - the exhaust outlet -
while the other was the piece onto which the injection trumpet carriers were fitted.
Both pieces are about 440mm by 180mm and molding them proved difficult, partly because it has been 44 years since I did anything like this but mostly because of the complexity of the shapes made releasing the fibreglass quite difficult. However, I got there in the end and yesterday we reached this point in the process.
So now, we have to build the engine downwards from the two cylinder blocks.
The amount of work involved is large - probably much larger than is evident - because we have to drill all the holes, tap them and in some cases, make modifications to the pieces due to the 3% shrinkage that occurs in castings.
Sadly, we have had no joy in our search for a DG.300 gearbox. We could buy a new one, of course, but at around £20,000 it isn't terribly realistic.
The chassis has been stripped of its paint now and the Brands Hatch dents are 'dealt with'. So actually it is ready for painting but for now we are concentrating on the engine.
I will inform members of any significant progress as time passes.