Photo

Prince Bira film stills at brooklands.org.uk

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 MrAerodynamicist

MrAerodynamicist

• 14,226 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 22:02

I think on Monday I might drive myself to Brooklands, have a look around the museum. Anyway, looking for the website to check location and stuff, I ended up at the Brooklands Society's website. Anyway, if you register they've got a section with 200+ still from film shot by Bira's White Mouse racing team.

http://www.brooklands.org.uk

Prince BIRA Films Recovered After Five Year Absence.
From about 1935 onwards Bira's White Mouse racing team entourage shot hours of 16mm cine films which included early colour footage. About five years ago we temporarily lost contact with the films but recently we were very lucky to be able to recover them from Australia. In due course we will be releasing some selected video footage through this web site but in the mean time we are able to show you a a selection of the stills.

Now, most of the pictures aren't identified, and this is an era I'm not too familiar with, so I think this to beturned in to a very large "Identifty The Pictures" thread :)

Advertisement

#2 Martin Roessler

Martin Roessler

• 351 posts

Posted 20 November 2002 - 05:59

I ve seen them on Australian ebay ..ummmm about a year ago...not quite sure...unfortunately i didn t have the money to buy them that time.They were sold for a pretty small amount compared to their historical importance.I was worried that you ll never hear from them again cos i thought they were bought by different bidders and spread all around the world...but it seems they are safe now and shown to the public :rotfl:

#3 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,056 posts

Posted 20 November 2002 - 06:33

You seem to be right into the movie scene, Martin...

Would you like to see 16mm footage of the 1957 Albert Park meeting?

#4 Ron Scoma

Ron Scoma

• 247 posts

Posted 20 November 2002 - 07:01

< From about 1935 onwards Bira's White Mouse racing team entourage shot hours of 16mm cine films which included early colour footage. About five years ago we temporarily lost contact with the films but recently we were very lucky to be able to recover them from Australia. In due course we will be releasing some selected video footage through this web site but in the mean time we are able to show you a a selection of the stills. >>

Those bastards..... I bid on those on ebay but couldn't be online for the ending because I was at the Monaco Historic's. I consoled myself by drinking a lot of Vintage Port and buying a low mileage Ghibli at the Coys auction. Who says alcohol is bad for you...
Oh well, I did get some pre war 16 mm Whitney Straight films along with some Bentley items from the same guy. All in all 8 reels of pretty nice stuff. But I sure would have liked the White Mouse stuff.
But they are in no better hands than the Brooklands people. We all can be thankful for that.

Ron

#5 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,056 posts

Posted 20 November 2002 - 07:11

Ah well... seeing as you don't have to go to work tomorrow, why not come on out here and join Martin and I in viewing some of Kevin Neal's best lakeside slides in the Maser?

#6 Martin Roessler

Martin Roessler

• 351 posts

Posted 20 November 2002 - 09:51

:lol: @Ron....well...next time i ll miss out an auktion on ebay i ll buy myself..ummm..lets say a BMW M1...or wait no...a GT 40 *slobber*. Well i guess the films are really in the right hands.
@ Ray of course i would!!!! :eek: I have the Bathurst box from 1960-2001 so far... the latest Torana dvd ,dick johnson and the bathurst crashes.....to be continued.I m also after racing pictures ..originals ...from the 50, s to the 70's. I got a slides collection from my dad...and fotos from the 50's to the 70's mostly from the Nurburgring and Hockenheim..unfortunately back in germany with all my other stuff...damn..i m here for only 1 week and already miss that all :cry:
Cheers Marty

#7 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,056 posts

Posted 20 November 2002 - 10:26

Which reminds me... there's that guy in Qld who has movies his mother kept of Bathurst when it was gravel...

#8 Martin Roessler

Martin Roessler

• 351 posts

Posted 20 November 2002 - 10:38

..that guy called Ray...hmmmm

#9 Slyder

Slyder

• 5,453 posts

Posted 20 November 2002 - 15:15

Hey Bira, I thought you said you were a woman.

And you never told us you were a Prince

:rolleyes: ;) :p :lol:

#10 Ron Scoma

Ron Scoma

• 247 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 07:43

Martin said....

@Ron....well...next time i ll miss out an auktion on ebay i ll buy myself..ummm..lets say a BMW M1...or wait no...a GT 40 *slobber*.

And then Ron got worried for just about a minute....

Martin:
When I first read your post I thought I was going to insist that you use the Ghibli while I was away. Which, of course, I would have.
But since you mention that you were going to buy an M1 or GT 40 I guess there is no need. Oh well, I tried...
It's actually a pretty nice car. 12K miles, silver-blue, US spec so I can bring it home (Chicago) when I'm done terrorising Europe (soon, but not soon enough,-to-be ex-wife has a Dip passport through her job at the UN). And the greatest quality of all for that car. I AM PERSONALLY PAYING FOR BILL McGRATH'S PURCHASE OF THE ENTIRE STATE OF HAWAII while they fix a few minor things !!! Oh well, it could have hapened to anyone I guess.

Ron "am I having fun yet" Scoma

#11 Martin Roessler

Martin Roessler

• 351 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 09:23

@ Ron
...oh...did i mention it was a 1:43 GT40? :blush: ...so feel free to let me move your wonderful car tenderly over the gently curved hills of Hawaii or through the streets of Chicago.(btw...i m still looking for a car for my wedding on sunday ;) )

Cheers
Marty"nearly had alot of fun" Roessler

#12 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,056 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 09:27

Err... it seems that our necomers are at opposite ends of the marriage train...

Which one is the better bet for the movie viewing then? I really must chase that bloke up about that Bathurst stuff!

#13 Martin Roessler

Martin Roessler

• 351 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 10:07

No worries...my gf bought me heaps of model cars,dvd's and videos...i'm lucky :p
..what was this thread about? :confused:

#14 Ron Scoma

Ron Scoma

• 247 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 10:39

Martin rubbed it in;
<>

To which Ron will offer to trade the following for pretty much anything of equal value.
1954 Dolores 1979-93 Has nice house
1957 Susan 1995-03 Has nicer house because she's a lawyer...

Ron "when I meet a woman I fancy it is far less expensive to just give her a house and walk away than it is to marry her, give her a house, and then get divorced." Scoma

PS:
does your gf have an "understanding" sister or cousin, a friend in the same building, perhaps a neighbour, maybe someone she sees at the market every so often, etc.... who likes old cars?

The thread was about Bira and White Mouse, I suspect he would be proud of the direction it has taken.

#15 Kvadrat

Kvadrat

• 982 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 11:05

Bira's film on eBay: BIRA Maserati ERA BMW Jaguar Le Mans Brooklands films.

#16 Les Dalton

Les Dalton

• 99 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 18:04

Posted Image

Hi Martin and Ron, I read of your interest in Prince Bira.
I have got a superb book written in 1936 by Prince Chula of Siam, covering the racing exploits of his fellow countryman, Prince Birabongse of Siam for that year, with reports and photographs of every race with Romulus and Remus, and with the forward written by Malcom Cambell.
I think the book was signed by Prince Bira, but it is a little difficult to define exactly who signed it.
I have attached various snippets from the book for your perusal's,
with kind regards from france,
Les Dalton.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image