Photo

Where are they now? On the web!

• Please log in to reply
777 replies to this topic

#701 Gabrci

Gabrci

• 438 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 08:48

I must admit I hadn't known of Bechem's death. It's really sad to hear, but at the same time he was very sharp and active right until the end, which is a great way to finish a really exciting and eventful life.

Advertisement

#702 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,360 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 06:45

Motorsport Memorial recently changed Harry Grant’s year of birth from 1877 to 1875 because on Find-A-Grave there is the tombstone of a certain Harry Fletcher Grant who lived from 1875 to 1915.
I don’t think this is the racing driver’s resting place whose full name seems to have been Harry Fortune Grant instead.
What do your sources say, Richard?

#703 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 6,136 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 11:25

I think it's still 1877, but that said Steve Estes seems to have done a lot of digging on this looking at the Motorsport Memorial pages. That having been said the main link, and hence the burial photo for that comes from a newspaper report and I'm a little wary of that and I'm not sure if that fits around the grave, rather than vice versa. It does seem only the year is in question, which makes me think it is 1877, going on census and family records.

#704 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,122 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 15:35

Former early Border Reivers driver Jimmy Somervail died last Tuesday in Lockerbie. He and his brother John were farmers in the Scottish borders and Jimmy bought the ex Bira ERA R12B. He raceds the Reivers Cooper Bristol and then was to share the D type Jaguar of Border Reivers with the newcomer Jim Clark. After a testing session at Charterhall Jimmy, the gentleman he was, felt that Jim Clark was a far better driver than he was and so took a relative back seat but did race the D type a couple of times He retired at the end of the 1958 season. I have attached a photo of Jimmy Somervail on the last occasion he raced the D type it was also his last ever race. He was a charming man and a true sportsman.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#705 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 6,136 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 23:10

Small update done, but with a little bit of new information to keep everyone happy..

2011 WATN
Baguette, Carroll, Giovanardi, S Hattori, Karthikeyan, Kolles, Lavaggi, Lazier, Wheldon

Other WATN
Agg, Filhol, A Ferte, Hennerici, Lanier, M Oliver, Plata, Schiattarella

New Information
Matson - death date and place, with extra WATN information

Changed Information
Hirt - birthplace
Lanier - birthplace

New
Ricciardo, Plowman

Thanks
Gergely Gabris, Wayne Parker, Rick Kelly, Peter Higham, Rolf Hirt, Cathy Lasorsa, Randy Lanier, Enzo Miceli, Allen Brown and John Siscoe

#706 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 6,136 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 22:31

Another relatively quick update to record Chris Lawrence's sad passing (thankfully the only one there is this update) but also a few more blanks filled in mystery wise. That said, I haven't quite added Fernandes/Ecclestone/Briatore and QPR and Pantano's IRL return but they'll be in the next one.

2011/2012 WATN
Chandhok, Carroll, A Costa, Kobayashi, Perez,

General WATN
Bellasi, D Baldwin (very rough year of birth added as well), Carpentier, Fober, Farr, Galli, D Halliday, McCarthy, McAlpine, Perez Sala, Rager, JC Romano, Wyss

New Information
Delno - full death details
Momota - full birth details
Osella - partial birth details
Vanderpleyn - death place

Changed information
Brock - removed deathyear - didn't die 1918. Added WATN info.
Beeder - day of death (as I never remember some of my sources... Gravestone listing and newspaper reports)
Choulet - birthyear - although I'm still trying to get 100% confirmation on that, so it might need tweaking yet....
Dempsey - changed Birthdate with extra WATN info.
Rudaz - change of birthplace with extra WATN info

Thanks
John Siscoe, Francis Maxwell, Richard Harvey, Carole Choulet

#707 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 6,136 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 22:52

Latest updates are now up - there's been a slight delay for a number of reasons and certainly the photo uploading could be quicker, but one hopes that by this stage, next week, most of my backlog will be gone. So, for this time....

2011/2012 WATN
Alesi, Briscoe, Coloni, Dixon, Franchitti, Grosjean, Heidfeld, Meira, Michael, Pantano, Patrick, Pescarolo, Ribbs, B Senna,
Tung, Willis (pre-Mercedes announcement)

Other WATN
Ensley, Fernandes, E Fittipaldi, Head, G Murray, Migeot, Pease, Ross, D Warwick

Died
Collomb

New
Battistini and de Oliveira

New Information
Peter Wyss - FULL Details

Changed Information
B Oldfield - birth and death dates, Trips - birthplace

Minor stuff has been updated as well for a few people and totals updated.

Thanks this time go to Skip Vail, Caren Williams, Peter Wyss, Scott Sperka, Michael Ferner, John Siscoe and Allen Brown. :up:

#708 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,360 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 06:56

@Richard:
I think Walter Anthony Robinson (b. 25 December 1929) from the BRDC member list is the Alta designer Tony Robinson.

#709 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 6,136 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 19:38

Brilliant, many thanks, Reinhard. I know Tony is a TNF member and I have asked direct, but not got too far.

Based on that information, Walter A Robinson was born in Darlington, Co. Durham.

#710 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 6,136 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:05

Due to Dan Wheldon's tragic death, the site has been updated asap this morning - more to have the correct information than to capitalise.

As the last update was so recently, all I'll say update wise is that along with this, Tony Robinson's details above have been added, Jorg Zander has been added to the site and the following WATN's have been updated (mostly 2012 stuff) for:
Allmendinger, L Brayton, de Silvestro, Hildebrand, Hunter-Reay, Roger Mears, Pagenaud, G Rahal, Shank, Willis and Vettel - with GP totals also updated.

#711 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 6,136 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 23:47

Now over 1,500 photos on the site - 1,516 to be precise, but the list is till large as to ones I need - if anyone can help, please do let me know.

Smallish update with a few titbits of new information;

2012 Updates
Angellelli, Ayari, Belloc, Bourdais, Briscoe, Bremer, Carpenter, Di Resta, Davidson, Jonsson, Maldanado, McNish, K Nakajima, Wickham, Wurz

WATN Updates
Belmondo, D'Orey, R Moran, Skaife, B Simpson, Tetu, Takahashi, Warren

New
Eeckelaert (Zander, who was in the last update has been removed accordingly)

New Information
Jones A - Aiden-Jones has been moved to J (see the TNF thread about him), but I have also found his place of birth.
S Hoffman - full date of birth and corrected place of birth
Lago - full birth details
Nichols - full birth details (definitely correct this time)

Changed Information
Bellamy - birthdate (according to the BRDC site or RB himself, it's the same as John Barnard...)
B Clemons - birth and death dates and death place (from his family)
McCall - corrected first name to ALLAN McCall, which it should be. Added a bit of extra information too.

Also, the three team name changes have been implemented, GP totals updated and a few other things checked.

Thanks
Rewind, Jo Davis, David McKinney, Adam Ferrington, Allen Brown, Ensign14, Peter Higham

#712 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,360 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:02

Richard,
I’m not convinced that Ralph Bellamy was the same age as John Barnard. I think RB’s birth date has been confused with JB’s on the BRDC website. If you look at his career and contemporary photos it seems clear to me that Bellamy is Barnard’s senior by some years.
According to your info Bud Clemons must have been Willard E. Clemons who according to the SSDI did not die in December 2001 but in Februay 2001. Isn't it strange that his SSN was issued by Iowa considering he was allegedly born in California?

EDITED to clarify that I mean the Social Security Number.

Edited by ReWind, 20 November 2011 - 12:34.

#713 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 2,166 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 10:43

You mean the SSN (Social Security Number)? No, not necessarily, because place of birth is immaterial. However, there would have to be a reason as to why it was issued in Iowa, like him moving or working there (at least temporary), and with Clemons racing out of California for all of his career, I find that difficult to believe, too. What does the family have to say about that, Richard?

Also, I notice you have spelt Angelelli wrong, although it seems to be correct on the website, but Sam Greco is still spelt incorrectly there!

#714 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 6,136 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:47

Michael, Greco isn't spelt wrong at all - GRECCO is or rather, was his name. You can see the proof of that on the censuses and SSDI, and all the other resources. It's the papers - not for the first time - that are wrong.

Re. Clemons - firstly, the 1985 deceased Clemons is still a valid driver - he just wasn't the one at Indianapolis, but he was based on the East Coast. The confusion has arised out of the two.

Willard Elmon Clemons, who is the "Bud Clemons" of Indianapolis fame - it should be February - that's my mistake. But the information provided by his daughter was so complete about his Indianapolis attempts - the years he was there, what he raced in, that I have no doubt that the information provided is honest, true and accurate. The fact that she even knew there were two Bud Clemons says it all - something the papers again missed.

Clemons fought in WW2 and for a while in the late 1940's, was based away from California, in Iowa subsequently. That may explain the Iowa issusing, although I don't really know too much about SSN registering etc.

Re. Bellamy, the only thing that confused me was his career is on there, so I presumed the information came from RB himself. But maybe he's given them that and they've put the birthdate on the wrong page? I must admit I've not seen anything other than the date I had before.

#715 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 6,136 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 22:31

Because of Jim Rathmann's death, I've done a minor update with that included - Clemons has been corrected, Bellamy - for now, without much proof to support the 1944 date bar the BRDC, put back to 1938, and Rosa and Kubica's details in F1 also done.

#716 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 6,136 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 22:42

Again, unfortunately, a death has meant another update, this time it's Rob Schroeder. :cry:

To be honest, not much has really happened, but the following have been updated;

Lisles (Newman Haas have gone), Raikkonen (back in F1), Pic (added, new driver), Head (left Williams F1), Oliver (general WATN) and Dempsey Wilson (family business info).

Thanks to Gordon T Brand for the Wilson info. I've also updated the GP totals so the season is now up-to-date.

#717 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 2,166 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 17:33

Michael, Greco isn't spelt wrong at all - GRECCO is or rather, was his name. You can see the proof of that on the censuses and SSDI, and all the other resources. It's the papers - not for the first time - that are wrong.

Thnx for that!

Yes, not the first time the papers got it wrong, but I don't think I have EVER seen his name spelt with two "c"s, in a career spanning more than two decades! :well:

#718 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 6,136 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 22:06

A new update for the New Year;

2012 WATN
Alesi, Bachelart, Bruni, Buemi, Campos, Conway, Coulthard, Fisichella, R Gordon, Gidley, Grosjean, Hulkenberg, Hinchcliffe, Jani, Kolles, Krumm, Lazzaro, J Leffler, Matos, Montoya, Pruett, Perez-Sala, Ricciardo, Speed, Sospiri, Villeneuve J (jr), Yeley, Yoong, Zonta

Other WATN
Bellefroid, Berger, Brutto, Halsmer, Jabouille, Alan Jones, Lehto, Lucchini, Mansell, J Miller, Newey, Petillo, R Spence, Vetrock, Verstappen (Rather depressingly, 4 entries here are to do with either jail or miscreancy :( )

Died
Lippi

New
Newgarden, Vergne

Thanks to Rewind, Peter Higham and Joe Stokes this time around.

No date changes or mysteries solved this time round but news that by the next few months the 1941 census and hopefully Pennsylvania Birth & Death Records are going online will help hugely.....

Edited by Richie Jenkins, 10 January 2012 - 22:08.

#719 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 6,136 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 14:45

Although the site has been updated in part for Adolff, Mieres and Migault's deaths, I hadn't done a full update. So slap bang up to date for the new season, is the following update. There will probably be another one shortly as a lot of updates are for the 2012 season, but with computer problems at the moment, it may have to wait. Anyhow.....

2012 WATN
John Andretti, Bartels, Belmondo, Bert, A Beltoise, Blundell, Bouillon, Bourdais, T Bell, Baguette, Besnard, Biagi, Chandhok, Couto, Camara, Coulthard, Camathias, D'Ambrosio, de Oliveria, Densham, R Dean, Diaz, Eeckelaert, Fernandez, Formato, Frentzen, J Gene, Firman, F Giaffone, Heidfeld, Hakkinen, Helary, Jakes, Junqueira, Johansson, Kerr, Key, Leinders, Legge, Lohr, MacPherson, Meira, Minassian, McDowell, D Martinez, Mollekens, Policand, Pirro, Pizzonia, Petrov, Plowman, Rydell, Ruberti, Ranger, Rugolo, B senna, Sato, Sarrazin, Sospiri, JL Schlessler, Sharp, Salazar, Ro. Sperafico, Saavedra, Trulli, W Taylor, van der Merwe, Van de Poele, Viso

Other WATN
A Brown, Chappell, de Andrade, Diniz, P Freisacher, England, B Godin, Gabbiani, D Hill, Kolby, Davey Hamilton, Hamidy, Lisles, Luydenyk Sr, Lee-Lewis, Medeiros, Mules, Marrable, W May, Morelli, Roe, Packard, Salles, Southgate, Sullivan, Thackwell, J Unser, Wacker, Watt, Wendlinger

Died
Adolff, Agg, Mieres, Migault

Changed Info
Bruce-Brown and Giudotti - birthyears
Irvin - birthdate
Maddock - deathdate

New Info
Osella - full birthdate

New
Allison, Filippi, Formenko, Martnes

Thanks
Betty Packard, Chris Hale, Csaba Varga, Simon Hadfield, John Siscoe, Gergely Gabris, Rewind, Jane Morrison and Allen Brown

Advertisement

#720 alnica

alnica

• 24 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 18:40

New
Formenko

Not FoRmenko, but FOMENKO.

Nikolai Vladimirovich Fomenko born in Leningrad, Soviet Union (now Saint Petersburg, Russia)

http://en.wikipedia....Nikolai_Fomenko

#721 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 6,136 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 22:01

Cheers Alnica, that's been updated (I think it was partly handwriting and partly poor Googling) and Martens removed due to not being the HRT guy - I wish they'd make their minds up... I have done a small update for the deaths of Ted Cutting and Adolfo Schwelm Cruz, but the full update, I'll complete and then post on here shortly.

#722 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 6,136 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 20:42

Actually it took 11 days in the end, but this is the full update for the pre-Indy 500 and start of season information;

2012 WATN
Aganthangelou, Alguersuari, Bert, G Berton, Besnard, Bjork, Beatriz, Clarke D, Caffi, Capelli, Carbonell, Cochet, Cuquerella, Diaz, Dominguez, Dracone, Deletraz, Ekblom, C Fittipaldi, Figge, Gache, Gosselin, Goudchaux, Gentry, Heger, M Halliday, S Hattori, Iida, Jourdain Jr, Janis, Kinser, Kasements, Liuzzi, Lancieri, Merzario, Morbidelli, Marshall, Montermini, S Mayer, Nurminen, Nissany, Perera, Pescatori, Pastorelli, Regester, Ruble, Salo, Schwager, Saavedra, Tedeschi, Tung, Tinseau, Villeneuve Jr, van Hooydonk, Vinella, Verdonck, A Wirth, M Winkelhock

Other WATN
A lot of drivers have retired in recent years so there's a fair bit of proper updates about them now - it includes dental supplies, comic books, photographic media, electric cars and restaurants...

Badoer, Brassfield, Caceres, Chesson, Couceiro, Durand, Doornbos, Divilia, Fillip, R Gardner, Grassotto, R Groff, Hillenburg, Hesketh, Hearn, Lawson, Langes, Luyendyk jr, Lavin, Mansilla, Meier, Marozzo, Modena, Matsushita, Manning, Noda, Pease, Rampf, Ress, Rothengatter, Ribbs, Reeves, Ray, B Rice, J Sneva, Shelby, Saelens, Yasukawa, Zampredi

New
Clauson

[Out/b]
Martens

Died
Cutting, Schwelm Cruz

New Information
Tower - full deathdate

Changed Information
Halsmer - birthplace
F Roberts - birthyear
Fomenko from Formenko

Also GP totals updated

[b]Thanks

Alnica, Andrew Embleton, Peter Higham, Csaba Varga, Abby J Alexander

#723 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 6,136 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 22:58

Although the site had been updated for the deaths of Shelby, Leston and Burgess respectively, bar the trio of sad passings, there's not a huge lot to add -but it's been updated for the Indianapolis 500.

2012 WATN
Bernoldi, Bigois, Cunningham, D Hill, Jourdain, Klien, Mikola, Monti, Nakano, Pastorelli

Other WATN
J Brabham, Foyt IV, Gregoire, Lippi, Schie, Tracey

Changed Information
J DePalma - found his deathplace at long last, but also found that birth/death dates are changed, which is probably why he was such a mystery!
Disbrow - Birthplace changed
Lippi - deathplace changed

Other
Filippi didn't make the Indy 500, so he's out. Also a lot of the drivers have been updated or had minor spelling mistakes updated. Also Indy 500 and F1 totals updated

Thanks
Max Lippi, Rick Kelly, David McKinney

#724 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 6,136 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 21:27

Andre Simon's death brings this update forward a little bit, although his page had already been updated to mark his sad, but somewhat expected, death, but it's an update with no fewer than 12 mysteries solved... and one that was solved now back on the mystery list.

2012 Updates
Carroll, Enge, Klien, Liuzzi, Mazzacane, Montanari C, Rosset, Tyler

WATN updates
Arbuthnot, Barrett, J Bucknum, Divila, Gamble, Mack,

Died
Simon

New Information
Aspen - full death details
Dempsey - full death details
Denver - full birth details
Dehart - basic birth information (and WATN)
Fansin - changed birth year and place, added death date
Farr - full death details
Goacher - full death details
C G Howard - full death details (note, change of death day)
Mais - full death details
McCoy JJ - basic birth details (month and year)
W Mitchell - FULL birth and death details
Tom Phillips - full birth details
Salvadori - death place added
Sherwood - full death details
Strang - full birth details
H Shaw - full birth details

Changed Information
Graemiger - change of birthplace
Lippi - not so much of a change, but corrected spelling
Pietsch - change of death place
Tower - details removed, basic birth details in (NOTE - the details that were in there for Jack Tower is still correct for Edward J Towers, who was a riding mechanic in the first Indy 500 race - I always thought they were the same man, but no, so EJT's life dates still count for anyone who needs them)

Other
ADDED; Carl Haas - because Broadley had nothing to do with the '85 attempt and Haas deserves his mention

Thanks
John Siscoe, Rewind, Donald Davidson, Ricardo Divila, Sir William Arbuthnot Bt.

#725 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 2,166 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 21:44

Fansin - changed birth year and place, added death date

I wonder why Fansin is still in - didn't you once remove all pseudo-entries?

#726 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 6,136 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 20:10

Yes, but I think Fansin was there, or let's put it another way - I've no proof he wasn't 100% there, so for now, he remains on. But he, along with probably, 6 others is a "really must trawl through everything to confirm" mystery...

#727 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 2,166 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:49

I always considered Fansin to have been the ultimate phantasy entry. Not only was he, according to your data, too young to compete, but the data forwarded with his signed entry blank was hilarious, to put it mildly. I doubt his car existed anywhere outside of his own, however fertile imagination.

#728 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,863 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:45

Fred Fansin is a rare name and it can't be a complete coincidence that a Fred M Fansin Jr was born in St Louis just four months after the 27-year-old Fred M Fansin died in the same city. "Jr" is 75 now but his number's in the book. Anyone asked him if they are related and what he knows of his relative's racing career?

#729 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 6,136 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 20:08

Well, in terms of age, he wouldn't be the first or last to fudge his age, but certainly the supporting evidence is not in his favour - but as said, there's many that could be said about - Tom Mulligan, for example - do we have any proof he was there? Not sure if too much time has passed...

#730 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 2,166 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 19:44

Mulligan certainly was there, how else could he have crashed one of the Fronty Fords the day before the race! :D I don't have much about him as a driver (actually, next to nothing), but he was a (co-)entrant at Indy and elsewhere over many years - he was partner with boat racer Stanley L. Reed in the Reed & Mulligan team which fielded racers for the likes of Sam Ross, Bert Karnatz, Jimmy Gleason or Gene Haustein over a period of at least ten years (1926 - '35). They even made history as the only ever team to win a AAA dirt track race with a front drive (July 15, 1928, Michigan State Fairgrounds, Howard Taylor driving), as far as I can determine. Hometown most likely Detroit (MI), although I never found a mention.

#731 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 6,136 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 22:13

Hi,
Site updated for Jerry Grant's sad death, but there's a small, but significant update to go along with that. A few more of the mysteries off the list.

WATN 2012/2013
Ascanelli, Dixon, A Ferte, Franchitti, Hinchliffe, Newgarden, Pizzonia, Pantano, Power, Pagenaud, Pollock

Other WATN
Antinucci, Bira, D Hill, Lovely,

New Information
Kapitza - FULL birth details
Richard Owen - FULL birth details
Stromberger - birthplace (and WATN)
Sassetti - FULL birth details and WATN

Changed Information
Nardozi - definite of spelling now, so changed accordingly. Added some WATN details as well.

Thanks to Neville Hay and Doug Nye this time round, and the GP totals have been updated by one too.

#732 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,360 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 20:32

Kapitza - FULL birth details
Stromberger - birthplace

Two remarks:

Kapitza's birthplace Hatzendorf is in the Steiermark (= Styria) which should mean that he is Austrian.

Stromberger's birthplace is Weitensfeld im Gurktal ("tal" meaning "valley").

#733 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,863 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 20:43

Kapitza's birthplace Hatzendorf is in the Steiermark (= Styria) which should mean that he is Austrian.

He was born 4 Oct 1939, at which time Austria was part of Germany, having been annexed 18 months earlier, and would remain so until he was nearly six. So you could argue that he was German in the same way a Scotsman can be defined as being British. However, I have a nasty feeling that leads us into a difficult existential debate about the nature of Austria...

#734 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 6,136 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 21:02

Thanks Reinhard - Stromberger is probably my handwriting. I'll have to delve into Kapitza more to see whether he's Austrian or whether it's born Austria (i.e. Bandini Libyan/Italian etc.) I've only seen him as German.

#735 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,269 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:41

Richard

Have you ever given thoughts to including a motorcycle racer section in WATN?

Regards

Paul

#736 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 6,136 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 16:51

Have you ever given thoughts to including a motorcycle racer section in WATN?

Yes, but if I do, it won't be for a good few years yet, unfortunately.

I think it would have to be 500cc only though, I think there's too much work for me to add anything else, at least initially.

Edited by Richard Jenkins, 15 August 2012 - 16:51.

#737 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 6,136 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 13:45

A small update has been done after the death of Mike Sparken, which has been added.

The GP totals have been updated, but other updates are as follows;

2012/2013 Updates
Albers, D'Ambrosio, Di Grassi, Hunter-Reay, Key, Kubica, Mann, Maldonado, Raikkonen

General WATN updates
da Silva Ramos, Halford, Inoue, B Johnstone, Kling, Klenk, Lunger, G MacKenzie, Menditeguy, I Stewart, Zanardi

Changed Information
As per above, Kapitza - I've kept as German, but put Austria in the birth details as I can't see any link to say he considers himself Austrian.
O'Donnell - changed year and place of birth (email from great-nephew)
Robson - Citizenship details
Stuppacher - date of death (picture of grave)

Thanks
Rewind, CT MacKenzie, Steve Small & Grand Prix Who's Who 4 (terrific book), Alfred Raidl, William J. O'Donnell, Richard Armstrong, Carlos Ghys, Graham Gauld

#738 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,360 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 14:41

O'Donnell - changed year and place of birth (email from great-nephew)

Confirmed by FindAGrave: Posted Image

#739 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 4,155 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 21:33

Confirmed by FindAGrave: Posted Image

Richard, that's great that you heard from Eddie O'Donnell's great-nephew. To give myself some credit here, I was the one who located Eddie O'Donnell's burial city while researching for Racers at Rest. The Los Angeles Times indicated he would probably be buried in Los Angeles, where he and his wife had lived for a while. In doing some deep research, I found that O'Donnell's body had been vaulted at Rosedale Cemetery in Los Angeles. I called the records keeper at Rosedale and they found the record and replied: "Hmmm, it has Whitewater written on it. I don't know what that means." I thanked them and told them that O"Donnell's family was from Whitewater, Wisconsin and it likely meant his body was returned there for burial. From there, Steve Estes found out which cemetery in Whitewater that O'Donnell was buried at. It turns out he was initially buried at Rosedale, then his parents re-interred him in Whitewater in a family plot.

Edited by Jim Thurman, 23 September 2012 - 21:36.

Advertisement

#740 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 6,136 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 23:10

Latest update has been done - this was due later in the month but has been brought forward because of the deaths (albeit updated already) of Russo, Wardrop and Fitch.
However, whilst actually looking for something totally different, I came across the very sad and early (52 years of age) death of Domenico Gitto, who raced 4 times in Formula 3000, who died back in June. **Note - Gitto was born in 1959, not 1961 as previously thought***

Other than the 4 deaths above, the rest of the update is as below;

2012/2013 Updates
Mi. Andretti, Angellelli, Berton, Bigois, Bachelart, Buemi, Coulthard, Di Resta, De Silvestro, Dean, L Hamilton, Hulkenburg, Julian, Lamy, Legge, McQuilliam, Montoya, K Nakajima, Patrick, Perez, Sauber, M Schumacher, Sarrazin, Speed, Shank, W Taylor, Vasselon, Yeley

Other WATN Updates (Pretty interesting overall for some of them, particulary the ex-F3000 drivers)
Andersson C, A Brown, N Brown, Byrne, Cowie, P Carter, Cecotto, Delestre, De Galzain, de Ferran, Diniz, Durant P, Dussau, G Fisher, Gilardi, N Lauda, Ulmen, Walther

Changed Information
De Galzain (year of birth)
T & N Houser - father and son, not uncle and nephew.
Resta - pleace of birth

New
Kaltenborn - Sauber team prinicpal

Thanks

Steve Small and his Grand Prix Who's Who 4 magnificent opus, Frank Dernie, Peter Higham, Michael Ferner

#741 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 6,136 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 20:34

The main WATN has also been updated at the same time as the F2 site - just a reminder that the site link is; http://www.oldracing...m/drivers/watn/

It's not a minor update either, with some very longstanding mysteries solved;

2012/2013 WATN
Fernandes, Ghinzani, Henzler, Lotterer, B & G Rahal, Ma. Winkelhock, Wiggins

Other WATN
Clum, Fushida, Garcia Jr, Goudy, Hattori N, Hiesse, Hitzinger, I Hoffmann, Kaiser, Zoboli

New Entry
Abiteboul

New Information
Dave Baldwin - FULL Birth information
Don Halliday - FULL birth information
Severino Nardozi - FULL Birth information
Wataru Ohashi - FULL birth information
Jack Petticord - FULL birth and death information (changed slightly from what was previously there)

Changed Information
Bergere - birthplace

Thanks
Sam Smith (www.sniffermedia.com), Michael Ferner, LaRue Clum

#742 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 6,136 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:53

Latest (and last 2012) updates are up - they are normally now done "on the go", but just to provide a roundup.

2013 WATN
Brooks J, Bouchut, Buhl, Barrichello, T Bell, Cuquerella, Campos, Constantino Jr, di Grassi, M Gene, Grosjean, Hillenburg, Kobayashi, Kubica, Minassian, Mollekens, Pic, Plowman, Preutt, Panis, Perez Sala, Rosberg, Rosa, Servia, Shank, Schrader K,

Other WATN
Almenara, Artam, Colombo, Donnelly, Haas, Haberfeld, Hobbs, G Kimball, Ligier, Lehto, PL Martini, Miaskiewicz, Nannini, Pollock C, J Palmer, Posey. Pocock, Streiff, Trulli, Tredozi, Vilaamil

Died
C Davis, S Walther

New Information
Attaguile (M Arriva) - full birth details
Christiaens - full birth details

Changed Information
Bardinon - birthplace
Pedersoli - birthplace (and WATN)
Reynard - birthplace (and WATN)
Dale Whittington - birth and death places

Other
I will need to add Bottas, Munoz, Chase, Chilton and Gutierrez in the New Year but I am waiting until nearer the time to add the respective fellows.
GP totals updated to end of 2012 season

Thanks
Allen Brown, Rewind, Bruce Jones, Johnny Landuyt, Sam Smith, Wolf Gruhle, Rick Kelly, Adam Ferrington, Alan Cox

#743 flatlander48

flatlander48

• 310 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 14:20

I just noticed something on the Old Racing Cars "Where Are They Now?" listings. The entry for Peter Revson lists his Date of Death as March 22, 1974 and categorizes this as a practice crash of the South Africa Grand Prix. However, in 1974 the Grand Prix at Kyalami was run on March 30. Revson's accident was then during testing, and not exactly practice, as the race was over a week away.

#744 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 6,136 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 20:54

Fair point, I'll tweak it.

#745 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 6,136 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 17:25

A round of up of updates done in 2013 thus far;

2013 WATN
Ayari, Blundell, Bruni, A Beltoise, Berton, Collard, Conway, Coloni, Cuquerella, Clauson, De La Rosa, Fisichella, Figge, Earle, Firman, Formato, Gomez, Glock, Gosek, Guerreri, PJ Jones, Jonsson, Jani, Johansson, Jakes, Kox, Lopez, Matsuura, Montagny, Pescarolo, Panis, Pizzonia, Rydell, Ranger, Raus, Salo, Schwager, B Smith, Saavedra, Viso, Wirdheim, Zonta

Other WATN
Ascanelli, de Castro, Fernandez, Herbert, Laffite, V. Rooyen, Villeneuve Sr, T Wright, M Williams

Died
Forti

New
Razia, Bottas, Vautier, van der Garde, Austin, Munoz, Chilton, Gutierrez

New Information
Benedini, Pickering, Micangeli - FULL birth details
G Morris - FULL death details

Changed Information
Place of birth - Biland, Dauer, Dubler, Linn, Serblin
Date of birth - G Boillot, Casoni
Year of birth - H Holmes, , Manfredini, Pica
Date of death - Ivy, Wollek
Kiser - place of death removed

Other
Vinicio Salmi's profile has been added

Also the nationalities has been amended fully on the website, plus the normal spelling corrections/tweaks

Thanks
Peter Higham, Reinhard (Rewind), Allen Brown

Edited by Richard Jenkins, 23 February 2013 - 17:29.

#746 Bob Simbel

Bob Simbel

• 14 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:12

Good morning, after years finally I came back to this website, to update the informations of my documents about Formula 1 drivers... :)

I have read every posts of this years and checked every biography in the website, I was only in 2008!!!

In the meanwhile I have found some little mistakes or little corrections to suggest. I'm sorry if my words seem too much raw... it's because I don't speak english very well but I'm slowly improving :p

Blundell was born in Barnet in 1966, but Barnet was already in Greater London from 1965, so, Hertfordshire should be wrong

The place of death of Kay should be Marlborough, Connecticut, not Marlboro
http://www.marlboroughct.net/

Bourdais - in the biography the correct info should be "winning the title four years in a row between 2004 and 2007"

Schlesser Jo - there is a little mistake in the biography (Madagascar)

Pease - I have no evidence of Darlington from Yorkshire to Durham, but only Darlington in Durham. If I'm wrong there is also the birthplace of Robinson Tony (in team bosses section) to change, infact he was born in 1929 in Darlington, Durham.

Lippi - the real complete name of the deathplace of Lippi is Lavinio - Lido di Enea (usually abbreviated only with Lavinio)
http://rete.comuni-i..._-_Lido_di_Enea

Adolff - the deathplace is only Kreuth (without am-Tegernsee, the lake Tegernsee is close to the town and in the logo of the town there is Kreuth am Tegernsee but the name is only Kreuth. There is also a town named "Tegernsee")
http://www.postleitz...miesbach/kreuth
http://www.kreuth.de...akt-kreuth.html

Migault - the correct name of deathplace is Parigne-l'Eveque with "-" as usually for the french names of the cities.

Burgess - the deathplace of Harrow is in Greater London, not Middlesex, from 1965

Simon - the complete name of the deathplace is Evian-les-Bains (as confirmed by the road signs, you can see them in Google Street View :) )

Gethin - the correct name of deathplace is Old Henley, Haslemere, not Haselmere
http://www.haslemere.com/

There is an inversion in the nationality of Maldonado, YV not VY

There is a little mistake in the deathplace of Nuckey - Philippines with only one "L"

You have changed the abbreviation of uruguay drivers from U to ROU (like the new international abbreviations) and now you should change also the abbreviation of the finnish drivers - from SF to FIN (Häkkinen, Järvilehto, Kinnunen, Kovalainen, Kozarowitzky, Räikkönen, Rosberg Keijo e Salo) because the new abbreviation is in use from 1993.

I have found a different information for the death of Flaherty, emphysema but maybe he had also a cancer... I can't verify this news at all.

About Naylor I have read that his death was caused by an accident, road or aircraft or other?

and about Rounds I have found an information about his death but also him only "accident", road or aircraft?

and that's all!!!
as usually my congratulations for this big job :clap:

now is time to enjoy a new F1 championship... finally!!! :D

#747 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,863 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:08

Thanks Bob. We like to get everything exactly right so your attention to detail is greatly appreciated.

#748 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 15:52

Middlesex is still a recognised postal address, so Harrow is officially still in Middlesex

Hertfordshire also exists, though the correct address for Barnet is indeed London

#749 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,041 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 18:15

Middlesex is still a recognised postal address, so Harrow is officially still in Middlesex

Hertfordshire also exists, though the correct address for Barnet is indeed London

Indeed, David. All a bit of a minefield. Until 1974 the village I live in was in Somerset. Then for 22 years it was in Avon. Now it's in Bath & NE Somerset.

It hasn't moved an inch!

#750 alansart

alansart

• 4,011 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 18:26

I used to live in Sale. Sale was once part of Cheshire but became part of Greater Manchester. Very few put their address as Greater Manchester and tend to use Cheshire...it sticks.

Edited by alansart, 12 March 2013 - 18:26.