Photo

Looking for a Jaguar XJ6 model...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 03 December 2002 - 18:11

My father is looking for a 1:18 scale model of a 1994 Jaguar XJ6 (model 40), or alternatively an XJ12 (model 81) with four doors, preferably in dark blue. He's contacted a lot of German model buffs, but apparently they keep telling him that there's no such model in existence! :confused:

Now I'm reluctant to believe this, as I get the impression that there's a scale model for virtually every car built in the world. I told him my pals at TNF would know the answer to every automobile-related question, so please, don't let me down! :)

Any takers? :cat:

Advertisement

#2 Holger Merten

Holger Merten

• 1,836 posts

Posted 03 December 2002 - 18:35

Fines, my business partner is selling a Daimler doublesix (darkblue) or want to change it in a Landrover Defender 110 S Cabine Crew (Yes he is very british, studied in Oxford or Cambridge), but his one is an 1:1 modell, in a very good condition, white leather interior, nonsmoker car. May your father would take the chance...?

#3 dmj

dmj

• 2,250 posts

Posted 03 December 2002 - 21:37

I don't believe I ever saw a 1:18 XJ but I'll search for it... Not sure even for 1:43, maybe M.O.G. did it - they had a nice 1987 resine model...

#4 Michael Müller

Michael Müller

• 1,181 posts

Posted 03 December 2002 - 23:11

Originally posted by fines
Now I'm reluctant to believe this, as I get the impression that there's a scale model for virtually every car built in the world.

12 or 15 years ago I had the stupid idea to buy a model (1:24, 1:18) of every car I owned. The result was - nil, zero, nada, although I checked every catalogue available!

#5 Vincenzo Lancia

Vincenzo Lancia

• 131 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 03:07

Solido's once made a 1/43 series II xj12. I think it have been reissued rather lately. But it's probably too much of an industrial toy. I gather you can even drop it on the floor without braking anything..... :)

#6 dmj

dmj

• 2,250 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 10:12

Originally posted by Vincenzo Lancia
Solido's once made a 1/43 series II xj12. I think it have been reissued rather lately. But it's probably too much of an industrial toy. I gather you can even drop it on the floor without braking anything..... :)

Actually Solido models have a habit to break something even if you look at them roughly...

#7 Garagiste

Garagiste

• 3,799 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 12:20

I've not seen one either, I'd like one as I too have a 1:1 XJ40. I haven't looked very hard mind.
bertocchi - :lol: Don't crush it! I'll be worth it in the end! Driving a Jag is the best cure for road rage there is. :)

#8 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 12:55

Originally posted by bertocchi
More doo-doo. Didja know that the Borg-Warner gearbox in the Jag was original equipment in a Nash Rambler? Oh...now you tell me.

I don't wanna hear any tales of the Chevy engine/gearbox swap. Mine is original...right down to the Lucas...Dear God send help...

What's the Australian movie about the kid who buys a Jag with a Chevy engine in it? :)

pete

#9 Vincenzo Lancia

Vincenzo Lancia

• 131 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 13:54

Originally posted by dmj
Actually Solido models have a habit to break something even if you look at them roughly...

Sorry to go off topic, but I think it depends on which Solido-models we're talking about. I have looked VERY roughly or should I say intensively on my three 917's the last 27 years, and not even the left hadlamp on the van Lennep/Marko (nr22) car is broken. :rolleyes:
Posted Image

#10 Barry Lake

Barry Lake

• 2,169 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 22:50

Originally posted by petefenelon

What's the Australian movie about the kid who buys a Jag with a Chevy engine in it? :)

pete

Can't think of the name of it at the moment, but weren't the stars Ben Mendleson and Claudia Karvan? The car salesman played a good part too; know his face, can't think of the name.

Very good movie, I've seen it a few times.

Ah, bits coming back to me... He traded his father's immaculate Nissan Cedric on the car...

#11 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,439 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 23:46

My friend Croker who runs Model World in Adelaide tells me, and he speaketh with GREAT AUTHORITY on these matters, that Solido (as has been previously mentioned) and Matchbox made 1:43 versions, but that no 1:18 versions have been produced.

Alas...

#12 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 11 December 2002 - 16:33

Originally posted by Barry Lake

Can't think of the name of it at the moment, but weren't the stars Ben Mendleson and Claudia Karvan? The car salesman played a good part too; know his face, can't think of the name.

Very good movie, I've seen it a few times.

Ah, bits coming back to me... He traded his father's immaculate Nissan Cedric on the car...

A bit of IMDBing revelas it was "The Big Steal", 1990. Steve Bisley (who was in a UK detective series of some description at about the same time) was the salesman.

Same folks made "Malcolm" which is a very nice heist comedy.

pete

#13 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 11 December 2002 - 17:42

Thanks guys so far, altho' it appears to be a lost cause... :(