Soviet racing

• Please log in to reply
301 replies to this topic

#101 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 10:09

Thanks for this fascinating background, Figurino
Compared to some of that, racing enthusiasts in the West have had an easy life :lol:
Thanks to this forum, we now have a much better understanding of early motor racing in eastern Europe
I always assumed that there was nothing under Soviet rule until the speed runs in the late 1940s. But perhaps that view should be applied to Russia itself, and not the satellite republics:

Originally posted by Figurino
Pirita-Kose-Kloostrimetsa where the first event was held back in 1933 already, and under the soviet regime again from 1947

Can you tell us any more?

Advertisement

#102 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,045 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 11:57

David: Estonia was independent from 1918 until 1940, so although it was theoretically within the Soviet sphere of influence, it was a separate nation, not subject to rule from Moscow.

http://www.estonica....61&tekst_id=254

#103 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 12:32

Thanks Richard
That thought crossed my mind as I was clicking the 'submit' button, but it didn't alter the fact that we (well, OK, I) don't know of any events in Estonia between the wars
And the second date mentioned is surely in a time when it was an SSR

#104 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,045 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 12:46

Indeed ..... although of course there was that Estonian-owned Renault 45 which ran (briefly!) in the 1929 German GP! :)

#105 Figurino

Figurino

• 5 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 12:51

David. Thanks for kind words. I'm not attending any of these "electronic talkshows" here in Estonia nor in wide world, but atlasf1 is really different, with real aficionados, authors, engineers involved. People who love the subject matter and are really after deeper knowledege. If I had only more time to spend with atlasf1! I haven't, writing about autos day and night. In December alone I filled 105 pages in various publications, including Estonian Auto Yearbook; my all-time record which came in occasion of my 60th birthday, believe or not! I hope to scan a number of photos, plans on Tallinnring, and also photos taken of Mario Galanti, Bernie's emissary, when examining the Pirita circuit in 1983. Haven't got a scanner at my home office yet, sorry to say. I surely have hundreds of photos on Soviet racing in my collection, but a lot are on negatives, never printed. I attended the events myself during seventies and eighties as a reporter. And since childhood as a fan. I hope Alexey is able to contact Lew S. of Moscow and the problems disappear in thin air fast. Lew was involved personally, among other things, with the Soviet F1 engine and with Moskvich G-type racing cars. An encyclopaedia on two feet. He knows much more than your humble servant. Still, I'll try to find and scan some photos in due course, for all interested atlasf1 people.

#106 Pavel Lifintsev

Pavel Lifintsev

• 143 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 08:25

Figurino:

Many thanks for reflecting some unknown to (I believe) most of us pages of motorsport history in the ex-USSR. It is really great to meet at TNF another man who is not only interested in this topic but is able also to say and (hopefully) to show something that was unsaid and unseen before. As you might know from my posts my special area of interest is motor racing in Russia before WW1 but I also try to help Alexey in his research of Soviet racing too.

Alexey et al:
First - I'm wondering why all these numerous people have not asked for solutions to their innumerious questions from the man who was present with Soviet racing all these decades as a journalist, author and also auto sport official - Lew M. Shuguroff. He is able to indentify all the cars, drivers etc. And answer most questions you can only think about. Please try to involve the Grand Old Man of the soviet automobiliana!

Surely Lev Shugurov is the man who can answer almost all questions, and we have already tried to contact him through the wrighters of "Formula" magazine, but it's not easy to arrange such a meeting because of some reasons. First, Mr. Shugurov is in very, very poor health: recently his leg had been amputated and he became invalid, so he can not leave his home unaided. Second, we (me, Alexey and our friend Sergey) are just enthusiasts without a name in the world of motorsport wrighting, maybe even kids in his opinion (look at our profiles), and I suppose it was really hard to explain Mr. Shugurov who we are and what do we actually want. Nevertheless we're gonna meet him at the turn of February.

I hope to scan a number of photos, plans on Tallinnring, and also photos taken of Mario Galanti, Bernie's emissary, when examining the Pirita circuit in 1983. Haven't got a scanner at my home office yet, sorry to say. I surely have hundreds of photos on Soviet racing in my collection, but a lot are on negatives, never printed.

WOW! :love: May we hope you give us a chance to see them all?

#107 Alexey Rogachev

Alexey Rogachev

• 835 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 11:18

Hello Margus,

Very nice to see you here on TNF again!! :wave: :clap: :wave: .ru just has said all what we (Dracula, .ru and me) are doing and what we are going to do. Yes, we're trying to get in contact with Lev Shugurov, but your help in any way will be very valuable!

#108 Alexey Rogachev

Alexey Rogachev

• 835 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 12:57

Originally posted by Jimmy Piget
From 1984 to 1990, there was a Soviet Union championship for 1600 cc cars.
I suppose the cars were similar to formula Mundial (Atlantic) ?

I only know the SU champion of year (title shared, year after year, by Toivo Asmer & Viktor Kozankov, both on Estonia / Lada).
Is a record of the qualifying rounds, with dates & winners, available somewhere ?

Jimmy,

More than a year ago, in October 2003, you asked for Soviet F. Mondial championship results. At that time, I didn't have any information on them. Now, I have got the complete results (with drivers' scores) of the 1988, 1989, and 1990 championships. Do you still need them?

#109 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,108 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 15:55

Originally posted by Vitesse2
David: Estonia was independent from 1918 until 1940, so although it was theoretically within the Soviet sphere of influence, it was a separate nation, not subject to rule from Moscow.

http://www.estonica....61&tekst_id=254

Interesting that Estonia,Latvia & Lithuania were allocated official racing colours sometime in the inter-war period,but I cannot trace any for Russia or the USSR.

#110 Jimmy Piget

Jimmy Piget

• 530 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 00:06

Originally posted by Alexey Rogachev
Jimmy,
More than a year ago, in October 2003, you asked for Soviet F. Mondial championship results. At that time, I didn't have any information on them. Now, I have got the complete results (with drivers' scores) of the 1988, 1989, and 1990 championships. Do you still need them?

DA !

With my anticipate thanks.

#111 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,045 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 00:47

Originally posted by Rob29
Interesting that Estonia,Latvia & Lithuania were allocated official racing colours sometime in the inter-war period,but I cannot trace any for Russia or the USSR.

Presumably because there was no Soviet motor club affiliated to the AIACR? I think Russia was a member in Imperial days, but that would have lapsed after November 1917 ....

#112 Alexey Rogachev

Alexey Rogachev

• 835 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 08:00

1988 USSR F. Mondial Championship

Round 1: April, 22-24, Tbilisi (Rustavi circuit)
Round 2: June, 3-5, Kiev (Chayka circuit)
Round 3: June, 17-19, Riga (Bikernieki circuit)

1. Toomas Napa Estonia 100
2. Raivo Hä&aum;l Estonia 93
3. Avo Soots Estonia 89
4. Vladislav Barkovsky Moscow 87
5. Viktor Pyatykh Russia 84
6. Pavel Lakiya Russia 80
7. Sergey Gorshenev Russia 78
8. Sergey Pugach Latvia 76
9. Evgeny Molchanov Moscow 74
10. Alexandr Seropov Ukraine 73
11. Valery Sultanov Russia 71
12. Alexandr Tseruashvili Georgia 67
13. Mikhail Dzhavakhishvili Georgia 66
14. Alexandr Armand Moscow 66
15. Garri Mazmanov Azerbaijan 65
16. Alexandr Eremeev Leningrad 63
17. Urmas Haamer Estonia 40
18. Ott Vanaselja Estonia 38
19. Sergey Mironenko Lithuania 36
20. Anatoly Shimakovsky Belorussia 34
21. Andris Skreja Latvia 33
22. Alexandr Romashin Belorussia 32
23. Lembit Tammsaar Estonia 29
- Vladimir Gavrilenko Ukraine 0
- Vladimir Krivodub Estonia 0
- Vladimir Sorokinsky Leningrad 0
- Eduard Markovsky Leningrad 0

Almost all the cars were various versions of Estonia 21 (21, 21M, 21.10), powered by 1568-cc VAZ 2106 (Lada) engines, which delivered 150 hp approximately, and their maximum speed was about 240 km/h.

The 1989 & 1990 results are coming soon...

#113 Alexey Rogachev

Alexey Rogachev

• 835 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 20:53

1989 USSR F. Mondial Championship

Round 1: Kiev (Chayka), April 21-23
Round 2: Riga (Bikernieki), June 9-11
Round 3: Tbilisi (Rustavi), October 6-8

2 best scores were counted towards the championship

1. Viktor Kozankov Moscow 100
2. Alexandr Medvedchenko Ukraine 96
3. Alexandr Potekhin Moscow 92
4. Valdis Jonušis Lithuania 86
5. Viktor Gasenko Ukraine 79
6. Alexandr Romashin Belorussia 77
7. Urmas Haamer Estonia 75
8. Mikhail Dzhavakhishvili Georgia 74
9. Andris Skreja Latvia 72
10. Urmas Põld Estonia 69
11. Vagif Mamedov Azerbaijan 67
12. Valery Sultanov Russia 65
13. Ivars Kruminš Latvia 40
14. Pavel Lakiya Georgia 40
15. Evgeny Molchanov Moscow 39
16. Andris Kalkis Latvia 38
17. Alexandr Tseruashvili Georgia 37
18. Vladislav Barkovsky Moscow 37
19. Alexandr Armand Moscow 34
20. Sergey Pugach Latvia 31
21. Alexandr Eremeev Leningrad 31
22. Alexandr Saunkin Russia 30
23. Alexandr Puchkov Latvia 29
24. Indulis Rukuts Latvia 29
25. Toomas Napa Estonia 27
- Raivo Hääl Estonia 0
- Ott Vanaselja Estonia 0
- Sergey Gorshenev Russia 0
- Avo Soots Estonia 0
- David Tsiklauri Georgia 0
- Alexandr Ponomarev Russia 0
- Viktor Pyatykh Russia 0

#114 BlackCat

BlackCat

• 803 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 00:58

to be absolutely anal with those umlaudes it's Raivo Hääl, not Häel. (iirc it was him in the beginning of his career who had one (bottle of) champagne too many before the race.) and Krivodub was not born or even naturalized estonian - there was a love story involving representative of estonian team, a very able lady with motocross background, and her bike that almost got VK killed once. (i'm writing this just as a hint that we too had our racing jokes/heroes/legends :wave: )

#115 Jimmy Piget

Jimmy Piget

• 530 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 05:04

Dear Alexey
As "2 best scores" counted for the championship, I guess that Napa had 2 wins in 88 and Kozankov 2 in 89, each win giving 50 points — am I right ? But if they achieved 3 wins a year, the final standing charts cannot indicate it.
Can you also provide who was each race's winner ?

#116 Alexey Rogachev

Alexey Rogachev

• 835 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 05:53

Of course, I can! Here is the list of winners:

Tbilisi - Napa
Kiev - Hääl
Riga - Napa

Kiev - Medvedchenko
Riga - Kozankov
Tbilisi - Kozankov

Juhan, thank you for the correction - I have edited my previous posts.

#117 Jimmy Piget

Jimmy Piget

• 530 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 10:05

Spasiba Alexey

There is a driver, in your lists, called Alexandr Armand.
Is he the same who won races in formula 1600, last year ?

#118 Alexey Rogachev

Alexey Rogachev

• 835 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 10:53

I don't know whether it was the same driver as I'm completely ignorant of present-day Russian motorsport :blush: Perhaps Dracula knows better...

#119 Dracula

Dracula

• 80 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 14:43

I don't heard about this man. He exactly didn't won any races at Russian Formula 1600 championship last year and I think he even didn't take part there. But I will try to make it more accurate.

Advertisement

#120 Jimmy Piget

Jimmy Piget

• 530 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 17:26

Not exactly Russia, for he was the Ukraine champion of F1600, according to Puru web site.

#121 Dracula

Dracula

• 80 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 19:27

As I know nowdays there are no F1600 (or other circuit racing) in Ukraine...

#122 Alexey Rogachev

Alexey Rogachev

• 835 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 20:30

1990 USSR F. Mondial Championship

Round 1: Kiev (Chayka), April 21-22 (winner: Asmer)
Round 2: Riga (Bikernieki), June 16-17 (winner: Kozankov)
Round 3: Kiev (Chayka), September 22-23 (winner: Asmer)

1. Toivo Asmer, Estonia
2. Viktor Kozankov, Moscow
3. Alexandr Ponomarev, Russia
4. Alexandr Potekhin, Moscow
5. David Tsiklauri, Georgia
6. Avo Soots, Estonia
7. Alexandr Romashin, Belorussia
8. Alexandr Armand, Moscow
9. Viktor Gasenko, Ukraine
10. Alexandr Saunkin, Moscow
11. Mikhail Mikhaylov, Moscow
12. Andris Kalkis, Latvia
13. Mart Kongo, Estonia
14. Raivo Hääl, Estonia
15. Alexandr Mirianashvili, Georgia
16. Indulis Rukuts, Latvia
17. Andris Štals, Latvia
18. Timur Kandelaki, Moscow
19. Georgy Chkhaidze, Georgia
20. Viktor Zakrunny, Moscow
21. Raimonds Dzintars, Latvia
22. Vladislav Barkovsky, Moscow
23. Alexandr Tseruashvili, Georgia
- Valery Sultanov, Russia
- Sergey Pugach, Latvia
- Andrey Kretov, Moscow

In 1990, Soviet F. Mondial was officially renamed into F1600, but it was the same championship in fact - the same cars and the same drivers. Also the 1991 F1600 championship results are available, but only top 10 drivers - Jimmy, please wait, I'll post them here ASAP.

#123 Jimmy Piget

Jimmy Piget

• 530 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 07:57

Originally posted by Dracula
As I know nowdays there are no F1600 (or other circuit racing) in Ukraine...

Dear Dracula

I quote my sources : Puru's & Franz Pages <http://www.puru.de/ukre.html>

In 2003 (not 2004, my own fault) there were 3 races at Kiev fot F 1600, one of which being won by Aleksandr Armand who also took the championship.

This site provides information on nowadays racing (Formulas, Touring cars, hill-climbs) in eastern & central Europe, country by country.

#124 anjakub

anjakub

• 606 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 17:54

Jimmy, I think that this is the same driver (I try check it).
Aleksandr (Oleksandr – according to Ukrainian spelling) Armand, from Moscow, won in 1997 (Khadi 29) and 2003 (Estonia 25) the Ukraine championship of Formula 1600. On Khadi 29 in 1996 he took second place and in 1998 third place.

Three best Ukrainian drivers – Formula 1600 season 2003 from left: Aleksandr Kolodiaznyj (third), Aleksij Varavin (second) and Aleksandr Armand (first).
Posted Image
Photo from www.ProFormula.ua

#125 Alexey Rogachev

Alexey Rogachev

• 835 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 10:08

1991 USSR F1600 Championship

Round 1: Kiev, April 28 (winner: Medvedchenko)
Round 2: Riga, June 8-9 (winner: Potekhin)
Round 3: Kiev, August 18 (winner: Kozankov)

1. Alexandr Potekhin, Moscow
2. Alexandr Medvedchenko, Ukraine
3. Alexandr Nesterov, Moscow
4. Andrey Kretov, Moscow
5. Alexandr Romashin, Belorussia
6. Yu. Gutsalyuk, Belorussia
7. Alexandr Armand, Moscow
8. Viktor Kozankov, Russia
9. Alexandr Ponomarev, Russia
10. Alexandr Saunkin, Moscow

Not many drivers were outside this top 10 - there were only ten entries at round 1, and a bit more at rounds 2 and 3. Judging by the race reports, published in 'Avtomotosport', the last Soviet championship was a sorry sight...

#126 indyricefan13

indyricefan13

• 61 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 11:31

Hey guys, this is interesting stuff. I am not happy about the fact that Ukraine was a part of the Soviet Union but I guess we can't change history and being a Ukrainian this is very interesting for me. Thanks a lot.

#127 Rainer Nyberg

Rainer Nyberg

• 1,756 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 15:34

Inspired by the eastern bloc pics in the 8W thread, I am posting a couple from my own collection.

Posted Image
Valentin Kozenkov in his self-built Formula Junior, based on Moskvitch parts. Picture taken in Leningrad, 1962.

Posted Image

Serious engine repairs going on, here on a Volga based Formula Libre. Same occasion as above.

#128 Alexey Rogachev

Alexey Rogachev

• 835 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 16:37

Rainer, your second pic is of the car built in 1960 by Yury Vishnyakov - the Volga-based front-engined F. Libre car (3000 cc, 120 hp). In 1962 and 1963, Vishnyakov won the F. Libre championships with it. Later it was driven by Vishnyakov's friend and disciple Yury Rumyantsev. Here is the photo of the car:

Posted Image

The first photo is an obscure matter. The "self-built Formula Junior, based on Moskvitch parts" designed and built by Kosenkov (whose name was Vyacheslav, not Valentin), must be KVN 1300G, but the car on the photo doesn't look like 1300G. The real 1300G is in the background, and the car #7 is Estonia 5 (which photo has been posted by AAA-Eagle to the 8W thread).

#129 Alexey Rogachev

Alexey Rogachev

• 835 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 19:17

To Stefan: the results of the 1970 Soviet F3 championship.

At the beginning of the year 1970, the preliminary calendar included three rounds – Nevskoe Koltso, Leningrad, on September 6, Bikernieki, Riga, on September 13, and Borovaya, Minsk, on September 20. But this schedule was changed for unknown reason, and the first championship race was held on June 7 at Borovaya. The second round was claimed to take place at the end of June at Nevskoe Koltso, but it was cancelled, and the reason was unknown again. This uncertainty lasted till the end of September, when FAS claimed officially that no other round would be held, and the results of the Minsk race would be accepted as the championship results. They are as follows:

Pos.	   Driver			   Hometown	  Sport society		 Car and engine

1   Vladimir Grekov			Krasnodar	 Spartak			 Estonia 9M Wartburg

2   Henri Saarm				Tallinn	   DOSAAF			  Estonia 9M Wartburg

3   Gennady Zharkov			Moscow		Trud				Estonia 9M Wartburg

4   Petr Evstafiev			 Riga		  DOSAAF			  Estonia 9M Wartburg 

5   Ivo Hange				  Leningrad	 Spartak			 Estonia 9M Wartburg

6   Shota Mamrikashvili		Tbilisi	   Spartak			 Estonia 9M Wartburg
Unfortunately I don’t know anything more on the race, even its distance.

#130 Alexey Rogachev

Alexey Rogachev

• 835 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 11:36

I found quite an interesting stuff today, published in British 'Autocar' magazine, no. 4213 (August 6, 1977). That article, called 'Russian Racing', gives a detailed description of the Cup of Peace and Friendship round in Minsk together with a review of Soviet autosport in general. Although it contains a number of regrettable mistakes (resultant from lack of knowledge, I suppose), it has given me some new info, which I couldn't find in Soviet and Czechoslovakian magazines! As most of TNF members are from UK (thanks to Barry's efforts in making up the database!), I suppose that those who possibly would be interested in reading this article would have no problems with finding it :)

#131 Kvadrat

Kvadrat

• 925 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 03:59

Concise pictorial history of Soviet motor sports cars published in 1978 in Za Rul'om magazine.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Thanks to Alexey Rogachev for scanning some of these pages.

#132 Kvadrat

Kvadrat

• 925 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 05:04

Article on speed record cars Zvezda (Star).

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#133 Alexey Rogachev

Alexey Rogachev

• 835 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 17:36

I intend to translate some of my web pages into English and Czech to make them more comprehensible to those who cannot read Russian (and most people from TNF don't, I suppose ;)) I started with the 1979 season review, here are the links:

http://www.stop-n-go...9review_en.html

http://www.stop-n-go...9review_cz.html

Many thanks to IMV, who spent his time on correcting mistakes in my Czech text :wave: :blush: Please let me know if there are many mistakes in English text - I'm in some doubt about my ability to make it totally grammatical...

And the final question: is it really worth keeping on translating season reviews into foreign languages, are TNF'ers interested in it?

#134 Stefan Ornerdal

Stefan Ornerdal

• 578 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 19:53

And the final question: is it really worth keeping on translating season reviews into foreign languages, are TNF'ers interested in it?

Yes!

#135 Delfi_r

Delfi_r

• 11 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 10:49

I agree too, as car racing in everywhere it's important for the history of it.

#136 Ren de Boer

Ren de Boer

• 400 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 13:07

Definitely! Keep the good work going! There is still so much about motor racing, especially in your region of the world, which is virtually unknown to the rest of us...

I was amazed when I visited the car museum in Riga in June last year and found quite a decent circuit next to it, although safety standards are better not thought of. Concrete walls instead of run-off-areas are not really my idea of safe racing.

#137 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,045 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 13:44

I intend to translate some of my web pages into English and Czech to make them more comprehensible to those who cannot read Russian (and most people from TNF don't, I suppose ;)) I started with the 1979 season review, here are the links:

http://www.stop-n-go...9review_en.html

http://www.stop-n-go...9review_cz.html

Many thanks to IMV, who spent his time on correcting mistakes in my Czech text :wave: :blush: Please let me know if there are many mistakes in English text - I'm in some doubt about my ability to make it totally grammatical...

What those ^^ guys said!

And check your PMs Alexey ;)

#138 Alexey Rogachev

Alexey Rogachev

• 835 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 16:31

Richard, thank you very much, check your PMs ;)

The next review will be of the 1980 season - I'm going to upload the pages on that season to my web site next week.

#139 Alexey Rogachev

Alexey Rogachev

• 835 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 17:35

Uploaded :)

Advertisement

#140 Alexey Rogachev

Alexey Rogachev

• 835 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 17:58

The reviews of the 1978 season in English and in Czech have been uploaded.

#141 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,138 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 07:31

Some questions on Soviet & Russian motorsport which perhaps our Russian friends can help with.

The Nevskiy Ring was built in 1958 in St Petersburg, and was temporarily closed in 1977 due to a fatality. It was closed permanently this year (2006), to be demolished in July to make way for a football stadium. I understand that this is different to the Neskoye Koltso track in St Petersburg? Does anyone have a map of the circuit?

Also, Autosport (1st June 2006, pg 31) mentions a nwe track in Qazan which opens Autumn 2006, and another new track to be built north of Moscow. Does anyone have any further details on these?

Also, the new Myachkovo/Autodrom Moscow track is 3250m, which is different to the Italmoto plan for a 5982m track on the site. What happened? Does anyone have a map of the new layout?

Thanks!

#142 Alexey Rogachev

Alexey Rogachev

• 835 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 13:51

Being almost ignorant of the present-day state of Russian motor sport, I'm able to answer only your first question. Nevskoe Koltso is the same than The Nevskiy Ring (the correct translation from Russian is 'The Neva Ring'). The track hasn't been closed yet - the very last race will be held there on July, 2.

On your web site, you have a map of the present-day layout; the better map can be found on the official site of Nevskoe Koltso:

Posted Image

And the old layout - from my web site:

Posted Image

As regards the other questions, I'll ask Dracula to answer them - he is always well informed of the latest news.

#143 gdecarli

gdecarli

• 1,038 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 13:36

Originally posted by Darren Galpin
Also, Autosport (1st June 2006, pg 31) mentions a nwe track in Qazan which opens Autumn 2006, and another new track to be built north of Moscow. Does anyone have any further details on these?

Also, the new Myachkovo/Autodrom Moscow track is 3250m, which is different to the Italmoto plan for a 5982m track on the site. What happened? Does anyone have a map of the new layout?

Hello,
In my database I have (click to open my pages) :
  • Myachkovo

Posted Image
    Circuit opened in 2001 and still in use. Lenght: 2400 m - 1.491 mi

• Italmoto proposal

Posted Image

This is the latest proposed layout (released probably at end of January 2006), slightly different from the previous one you already have in your site. Main circuit is 5910 m - 3,672 mi long.

• Proposed 2520 m circuit: I know there is another proposal, nothing to do with Italmoto proposal, for a permanent circuit 2520 m - 1.566 mi long, that should replace Myachkovo.

• Proposed 3520 m circuit: I know nothing about this proposal you mentioned. Maybe is it the same as 2520m in a different layout? Or - I notice only now - simply a mistyping of the first number? And if so, what is the correct one?

Ciao,
Guido

#144 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,195 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 13:59

As regards the other questions, I'll ask Dracula to answer them - he is always well informed of the latest news.

For some reason this sentence is hilarious.

Is the Kirov Stadium the one at the Sportivnaya metro stop? If so I've been there for football, had I known it was a part-time circuit I'd've taken some photos of the outside...

#145 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,108 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 14:17

Originally posted by ensign14
For some reason this sentence is hilarious.

Is the Kirov Stadium the one at the Sportivnaya metro stop? If so I've been there for football, had I known it was a part-time circuit I'd've taken some photos of the outside...

Thats a coincidence.Looks like I have been to the Myachkovo circuit,not for motorsport but for an air show!Did a 12 day trip in Aug 91,which included 2 air shows, several museums ,Moscow ,St.Petersburg and Kiev as well as the end of the Soviet Union!

#146 Alexey Rogachev

Alexey Rogachev

• 835 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 14:51

Originally posted by ensign14

It seems to me that you have mixed up Moscow and St. Petersburg :) The metro station 'Sportivnaya' is in Moscow, near the Luzhniki Stadium (BTW, there was a temporary racing circuit in the 60's indeed). And the nearest metro station to the Kirov Stadium in St. Petersburg is 'Krestovsky Ostrov'.

#147 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,195 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 15:05

I can't be mixing them up cos I've not been to Moscow (yet...it's on a very Long List of places to visit). It was definitely the Sportivnaya (change at Sennaya Ploshchad), station looked like Olympia inside. But if the nearest station is Krestovsky Ostrov then it's not the one I went to cos I never went that far "up".

#148 Alexey Rogachev

Alexey Rogachev

• 835 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 15:39

After all, the Kirov Stadium isn't the only one in St. Petersburg... If you had been there after 1993, you couldn't have missed the racing track near it. Here are some views of Nevskoe Koltso, taken in August 2005:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

And the Kirov Stadium itself:

Posted Image

Is this the one that you visited?

#149 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,195 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 16:11

No - it was the Petrovsky, I'll try to dig up the photos.

#150 Alexey Rogachev

Alexey Rogachev

• 835 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 18:53

The 1981 season pages have been added to my web site, including the season reviews in English and in Czech.