Photo

Aussie F5000s; where are they now?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Bondy

Bondy

• 193 posts

Posted 25 December 2002 - 23:59

Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone knows the where abouts of some of these Australian cars.

Elfin MR5B (i know Gavin Sala had it for a while)
Gardos (i believe Sambo owned it in the late 80s)
Matich A53
Matich A53 (John Hermann owned one)
Lola T400 Ken Shirvington
SCV Chev (ray bell may remember that 1)
Cicada (it was a Elfin MR5 Lookalike)
McLaren M22 (Chris Milton raced it, then later Allan Newton)

if i think of more i will let you know

also, what happened to all the Renmax V8 Sports cars, the Gibsons owned a few,

Thanks
Curt

Advertisement

#2 Marcor

Marcor

• 1,198 posts

Posted 26 December 2002 - 02:52

Have you seen it: http://www.oldracing...tructorlist.htm

I'm sure Allen will post here...

#3 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,208 posts

Posted 26 December 2002 - 07:12

You might remember, Curt, that Jim Phillips got the 5-litre Rennmax from Lionel Ayers. I believe his wife still has the car.

Paul Gibson still has the ex-Macarthur car, and it's in the process of being made race ready again.

The Cicada... I have no idea... built by Don Fraser in Adelaide.

Elfin MR5s... there were three or four of these. McCormack, Cooper and Stewart for starters (I'm not looking these up...). John Edmonds later had Cooper's, Baron Robertson got Stewart's, McCormack's I simply don't remember. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if the cars were sacrificed on the altar of the Sports Sedan.

Matich A53? Only one of these existed, though an earlier car may have been updated. Again, I don't know where they are.

The SCV was this car...

Posted Image

... the Mildren F5000 which went from Mildren to Jack Wortmeyer, who call everything a Wortmeyer SCV. I would think it's still in his shed in Wollongong... if he's still alive.

We had a lot about the Gardos and the M22 in a thread a little while back... just put 'jaime' into search and you'll find that thread.

As for Shirvington's Lola, well, it might well be one of those still booming around in Historic events.

Edited by Ray Bell, 19 April 2011 - 14:17.

#4 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 26 December 2002 - 11:37

Originally posted by Marcor
Have you seen it: http://www.oldracing...tructorlist.htm

I'm sure Allen will post here...

Yes, he will, as soon as he's finished this one last turkey sandwich...

#5 Brian Lear

Brian Lear

• 122 posts

Posted 29 December 2002 - 11:25

Originally posted by Bondy
Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone knows the where abouts of some of these Australian cars.

Elfin MR5B (i know Gavin Sala had it for a while)

From the Elfin Register.......

MR5 #5711 Sept 71 Original Owner John McCormack Repco Holden V8

• (74) (Phil Moore - Driver)
  • (76) Glen Nicholls
  • (??) ????
  • (??) Gavin Sala
  • (92 - Current) John McCormack

MR5 #5712 Dec 71 Original Owner Max Stewart Repco Holden V8

• (73) (John Leffler - Driver)
  • (76) Baron Robertson (NZ)
  • (82) Doug Trengove
  • (??) Gavin Sala
  • (94 - Current) Adrian Tweddle

MR5 #5723 Jan 72 Original Owner Elfin Sports Cars Repco Holden V8

• (72) driver: Garrie Cooper
  • (75) John Edmonds
  • (77) Phil Ward
  • (80 - 86) Mike Pope
  • (??) Gavin Sala
  • (94 - Current) Barrie Flett (NZ)

MR5 #5724 Feb 72 Original Owner John Walker Repco Holden V8

• (72) Stan Keen Ford V8
  • (77) Peter Middleton Repco Holden V8
  • (79) Tony Parkinson
  • (81) Mike Adams
  • (??) Paul Trevethan
  • (??) Ranald McLurkin
  • (??) Peter Brennan
  • (91 - 96) David Doubtfire
  • (96 - Current) Max Floreani

Brian Lear
Australia

#6 fredeuce

fredeuce

• 407 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 12:48

This thread appears to be as appropriate as many others that deal with F5000 here in Australia.

The pic attached is of Colin Hyams in his Lola T192 at Mallala Easter 1971. No doubt getting in some practice in readiness for the ensuing Goldstar Series later that year.

Posted Image

Edited by fredeuce, 31 July 2010 - 23:25.

#7 flightlessbird

flightlessbird

• 60 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 12:07

The Mildren/Wortmeyer F5000 is currently being restorerd. Does anyone know anything of its history?

#8 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,208 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 14:19

Yes, there wasn't much of it...

It was built in the UK for Alec Mildren, KB drove it in the '71 Tasman rounds and then Mildren disbanded his team. The car was sold to Jack Wortmeyer and Erol Richardson drove it, once at Warwick Farm, otherwise in hillclimbs.

It spun once on the Causeway at Warwick Farm, but you wouldn't have known if you hadn't been looking.

Both KB and Erol are members of this forum.

#9 rms

rms

• 143 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 14:19

The Mildren/Wortmeyer F5000 is currently being restorerd. Does anyone know anything of its history?

When Allan Mann closed his race setup, Frank Gardner formed Motor Racing Research and with Len Bailey and some ex Mann personel the Franklen was built in one of Mann's hangers with a Ford engine. Wheels/uprights/brakes were from the Bailey designed Ford DFV lightweight sports car (P6 ????)
Lola then supplied a T190 to Gardner, who sold the Franklen to Palliser.
Hugh Dibley maintains that all Palliser did to the car was put a Palliser sticker on the nose.
Was sold to Mildren, KB drove it in the '70 Horden Trophy at Warwick Farm and then the '71 Tasman Series with a Chev engine. (Still trying to find out where and when this was fitted)
Sold to Jack Wortmeyer late '72, ran at the '73 Warwick Farm and '74 Oran Park Tasman rounds - Albury meetings and some hill climbs.
It's last outing was the '74 Oran Park Tasman and has been sitting in Wollongong ever since.

Complete restoration is underway

This car has no connection with Peter Gumley's or any of the other Wortmeyer SCV hill climb cars

#10 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,061 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 22:13

Miltons Mclaren is in Melbourne. Bare tub only. I was speaking to Chris recently about these cars.
I dont know what happened to the Cicada, I have a feeling it was hillclimbed in the 80s. I think it was/is a space frame?

Edited by Lee Nicolle, 17 April 2011 - 22:15.

#11 Wirra

Wirra

• 1,326 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 00:58

... on the Causeway at Warwick Farm,...

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 Jacer

Jacer

• 269 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 01:17

I bought back My Spectre Formula Vee from Scott Herman (John's son) and I'm pretty sure he said as of 18 months ago he still had the A53 ( was that an A52 or A53 at the agp?). Another guy I know said he used to pit crew for Ken Shirvington in 'the old days' told me 3 or so years back that he still had his old F5000. Don't know if it's the Lola or not.

#13 xj13v12

xj13v12

• 265 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 08:32

I bought back My Spectre Formula Vee from Scott Herman (John's son) and I'm pretty sure he said as of 18 months ago he still had the A53 ( was that an A52 or A53 at the agp?). Another guy I know said he used to pit crew for Ken Shirvington in 'the old days' told me 3 or so years back that he still had his old F5000. Don't know if it's the Lola or not.

Chris Hocking bought the A51/A53 (usually called chassis #05) from Herman. He has restored it as run by John Goss when he won the AGP. That means rear radiators. Bryan Sala also ran the original A50 Repco-Matich after a long restoration.
The NZ based MR5 is for sale from Ken Smith. Paul Trevethan has restored and is running the Elfin MR6R ie Leyland Repco engine. Tony Floriani has been racing one of the MR5s and Bill Hemming an MR8.
There was a very good showing of Australian based F5000s at the AGP this year. Maybe someone can post a results page or something?

#14 gouldo

gouldo

• 142 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:51

Ken Shirvington still owns his Lola.

#15 timbo

timbo

• 535 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 13:13

With regard to the rennmax sports cars of the Gibson's, the yellow car, as driven by Grant Gibson is alive and well (minus engine) and was on static display at a tribute to Rennmax historic meeting at oran Park a few years ago.
Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
The Paul Gibson Rennmax blew its 5litre motor in a big fashion at Winton many years ago, and I don't recall it being out on the track since. I'm led to believe its still intact, but would take a major restoration job to get it going again.
Here it is at Winton in the late 1970's leading Dave Richardson in a Matich into the first corner with Peter Jones in a Cheetah clubman not far behind.
Posted Image

#16 Team Result

Team Result

• 268 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 14:03

The Paul Gibson Rennmax blew its 5litre motor in a big fashion at Winton many years ago, and I don't recall it being out on the track since. I'm led to believe its still intact, but would take a major restoration job to get it going again.
Here it is at Winton in the late 1970's leading Dave Richardson in a Matich into the first corner with Peter Jones in a Cheetah clubman not far behind.
Posted Image

[/quote]

Timbo,
Any more info on Dave Richardson's Matich? Doesn't look like any Matich I've seen. Bodywork looks like it's from a couple of different Elfins!

#17 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,208 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 14:22

It looks somewhat Kostera to me...

I think that must be where it came from. Which would mean it's the O'Sullivan SR3, wouldn't it?

Which is all OT on this thread, anyway.

#18 timbo

timbo

• 535 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 15:41

It looks somewhat Kostera to me...

I think that must be where it came from. Which would mean it's the O'Sullivan SR3, wouldn't it?

Which is all OT on this thread, anyway.

You could well be right. it was a long time ago now, but I do remember reading that it was a re-bodied SR3.