Photo

New books for 2003?

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#1 Anorak Man

Anorak Man

• 312 posts

Posted 31 December 2002 - 05:21

In restocking our Grand Prix and F1 Bookshop it strikes me there's a shocking dearth of books on Grand Prix topics, despite the valiant efforts of those nearest and dearest to us. There are of course the mass-market F1 Encyclopaedias, and the standards on a handful of drivers, plus, Our Col, Ken, and Nzo, a trickle on some nice motas, but barely a squiggle on the stones we Anoraks *really want turned over*.

So let's prompt the Last of the Few to get tapping with lists of as yet UNWRITTEN and unpublished works you'd most like to see in 2003.

AM

PS. Commercial considerations are of course irrelevant.

Advertisement

#2 Anorak Man

Anorak Man

• 312 posts

Posted 31 December 2002 - 05:22

Blimey! Christmas Serendipity, that's just what I was about to post about AM.

Here's mine:

Dick and Benito : The Seaman - Mussollini Letters

If anyone needs help with the research, Hugh Trevor-Roper left a stack of material from the Bletchley archives. Apparently, Fascists, Cambridge drop-outs, and fast cars really click together.

Hawthorn and Collins : Cain and Abel

Surely there's been a deliberate campaign to keep this one from publication? What thrilling character studies, political intrigues, and thundering race reports have been witheld from us. Here we have two British sporting heroes (remember those?) of radically contrasting personalities, in the *same* Team, in the *same* classic year, both attained their WC in very different manners, yet what can we read about it? Nowt!
Why, it'd make a stunning cinema film.

1958 : Pain and Glory

I know next-to-nothing about this year in GP racing, I was still in short-pants drilling through my nine-times-tables. But what bits I have read of it certainly set my Anorak twitching. It must run a close second to 1976 as being the most gripping season of all time. The '58 Oporto race, surely deserves a book by itself, doesn't it?

B.J. Surtees :

Where Oh where is this lost tome? The *only* Double Champ (On six wheels), drove for Maranello in the classic sixties period, Constructor and Team Owner, he's still alive, *and alert*, with all the gen ... but can we read about it? Not a chance mate, the 'writers' are too busy earning a fortune embellishing Press releases for Bernie & Co. Meks y'sic dunt it?

Ron Dennis On :
(This would *have* to be a series. And he'd obviously need help, whilst his hands are full)

Lord Ecclestone of Biggin,
Senna,
Prost,
Hakkinen,

FW:

Surely this is the biggest absentee in the F1 Library. From pre-Piers Courage to Montoya, with the Senna story inbetween. Yet what have we got? Not a lot.

Collected Works of DSJ: Illustrated by Klemantaski, Snowden, and that Schleg-Feller.
Should run the one above a close second on the author's job-list.

Lord Ecclestone's life history is, I understand, on it's way : Should be a cracker!

There's more, I haven't even mentioned the Motas yet.
Come on help me out fellow Anoraks.

AM

#3 bill moffat

bill moffat

• 1,411 posts

Posted 31 December 2002 - 11:08

a book that is crying out to be written..the "lost generation" of British champs..a book describing the careers of Roger Williamson, Tony Brise and Tom Pryce. Surely this would make good reading, their different backgrounds and their rise through the junior formulae. Of course they all then met dreadful deaths, robbing us of (in my humble view) 3 potential World Champs. The title "Roger. Tony and Tom" has a certain ring to it....any offers?

#4 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,756 posts

Posted 31 December 2002 - 12:04

Originally posted by bill moffat
a book that is crying out to be written..the "lost generation" of British champs..a book describing the careers of Roger Williamson, Tony Brise and Tom Pryce. Surely this would make good reading, their different backgrounds and their rise through the junior formulae. Of course they all then met dreadful deaths, robbing us of (in my humble view) 3 potential World Champs. The title "Roger. Tony and Tom" has a certain ring to it....any offers?

David Tremayne's Racers Apart has tremendous chapters on all 3.

Bios of Achille Varzi (when is the English translation of that Italian book emerging?) and Nino Farina would be on my wish list. As well as a history of Osella. And a 'Sheldon' for pre-1900 and town-to-town races.

Also, as Phil Harms is now posting here, hands up all those who would like to see his incredible data in book form. C'mon, publishers...

#5 Barry Lake

Barry Lake

• 2,169 posts

Posted 01 January 2003 - 13:49

Originally posted by ensign14
Also, as Phil Harms is now posting here, hands up all those who would like to see his incredible data in book form. C'mon, publishers...

:wave:

#6 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 01 January 2003 - 21:07

The book I would like to see most is one on the Targa Florio that is at least as good quality as Orsini's book on the Mille Miglia....full entry lists, etc...

#7 Keir

Keir

• 5,241 posts

Posted 01 January 2003 - 21:16

I hear there's a book called FORZA AMON coming out in 2003.
I'm not really sure what the subject matter might be, maybe there is a small thread on the subject on Atlas?? ;)

#8 Anorak Man

Anorak Man

• 312 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 03:56

Eoin says it's due out in February Keir. He's a terrific writer, and I'll order an advanced copy signed by all *three* of you! :)

AM

#9 Anorak Man

Anorak Man

• 312 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 03:57

Bill Tapped:

"... a book that is crying out to be written..the "lost generation" of British champs..a book describing the careers of Roger Williamson, Tony Brise and Tom Pryce. Surely this would make good reading, their different backgrounds and their rise through the junior formulae. Of course they all then met dreadful deaths, robbing us of (in my humble view) 3 potential World Champs. The title "Roger. Tony and Tom" has a certain ring to it....any offers?"

Spot-On Bill!

Just thinkin' about it brings a lump to my food-tube.
Remember Roger's storming F3 drives, and the expectation when Tom Wheatcroft got enough money together for an F1 drive? Tony's still a bit too near to home to write about don't y'think? But I agree with you, Tom Pryce looked the kwickest, and was knocking on the door of a top drive wasn't he? Which Team would have been his next after Shadow do you think? Lotus?
Not sure if any of them was Champion material. But I would have said the same of James Hunt in his early F1 days, and was delighted to be proven 180! (Same with Our Nige.)

But your book suggestion would have to be written by somebody with respect for their subjects, and their families. I personally wouldn't want your Trio treated to the Tatty-Tabloid-trashing Our Colin has recently endured.

AM

#10 Anorak Man

Anorak Man

• 312 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 03:58

Jasper Ensign commented:

"David Tremayne's 'Racers Apart' has tremendous chapters on all 3."

Now, he's a good writer, I read a bit of his work on Sir Jackie last week, hitting jus' the right note. He'd be an excellent bloke to give Bill's "Lost Generation" recognition and respect.

"Bios of Achille Varzi (when is the English translation of that Italian book emerging?) and Nino Farina would be on my wish list. As well as a history of Osella."

Yep, though it's NEW works we're after here, but it would be interesting to see how Italian authors write about Italian drivers. My current Tifosi mates sneer at the thought of an Italian in a Ferrari, just on principle. (Fisi, and Trulli don't have a chance, regardless of their talent. The Tifosi seem quite 'racist' in that area. I think Fisi would be excellent, as good as RB) Osella? They made cars as well as bikes?

'Also, as Phil Harms is now posting here, hands up all those who would like to see his incredible data in book form. C'mon, publishers... '

A sort of Wisden's Grand Prix Almanac eh? Good idea! Worth getting Nigel Mansell's opinion on that too, 'parently he's doing a great job with Bernie on an 'Autocourse' competitor.

AM

#11 Milan Fistonic

Milan Fistonic

• 1,769 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 04:19

Originally posted by Anorak Man
Eoin says it's due out in February Keir. He's a terrific writer, and I'll order an advanced copy signed by all *three* of you! :)

AM

The Young book due out in February is not the Amon book but one called Classic Racers - New Zealand's Grand Prix Greats. Forza Amon is due out in August or September.

Classic Racers brings together some of the profiles that Eoin has done on a number of Kiwi drivers for New Zealand Classic Car magazine plus some others. A friend is reading a pre-production copy and he says it is a book worth having.

#12 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,776 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 11:32

eh? Good idea! Worth getting Nigel Mansell's opinion on that too, 'parently he's doing a great job with Bernie on an 'Autocourse' competitor.

AM

You sure about that AM? He's just been removed as figurehead of Bernie's magazine. Perhaps he spoke out against the Senna-adulation which is so prevalent in it ....

#13 Ron Scoma

Ron Scoma

• 247 posts

Posted 03 January 2003 - 02:50

A book on the 12 BARC members who held the 130MPH badge would be welcome as would a fiction tome about the season (any season), call it "All But My Wife".....

Ron

#14 Anorak Man

Anorak Man

• 312 posts

Posted 03 January 2003 - 06:04

Originally posted by Milan Fistonic

The Young book due out in February is not the Amon book but one called Classic Racers - New Zealand's Grand Prix Greats. Forza Amon is due out in August or September.

Classic Racers brings together some of the profiles that Eoin has done on a number of Kiwi drivers for New Zealand Classic Car magazine plus some others. A friend is reading a pre-production copy and he says it is a book worth having.

Aww Exceeelent!

Eoin on Bruce, Denny, Chris, Howden ... Mike Thackwell?

I'll have to order both.

I wonder what's holding up 'Forza Amon'? Or perhaps they are reserving the launch for a special anniversary?

AM

#15 Anorak Man

Anorak Man

• 312 posts

Posted 03 January 2003 - 06:18

Originally posted by Vitesse2

You sure about that AM? He's just been removed as figurehead of Bernie's magazine. Perhaps he spoke out against the Senna-adulation which is so prevalent in it ....

*Chuckle* Poor Noige, he does seem a bit clumsy out of the cockpit.

The Bernie-Nige collaboration I had in mind Was This One

It's getting good reviews, even Our Pete likes it.

But if what you say is correct, then perhaps 'Autocourse's' Mr.Henry deliberately wound Nige up to nobble the competition?

Surely he wouldn't do that would he? :)

Whatever, ... the suggestion to contact Nige with the Wisden's Grand Prix Almanac project, might well be very timely.

AM

#16 Anorak Man

Anorak Man

• 312 posts

Posted 03 January 2003 - 06:21

Originally posted by Ron Scoma
A book on the 12 BARC members who held the 130MPH badge would be welcome as would a fiction tome about the season (any season), call it "All But My Wife".....

Ron

Welcome Ron, but you're gonna have to illuminate me.

A badge for 130 mph, are we talking 1920's? I'm intrigued.

AM

#17 Ron Scoma

Ron Scoma

• 247 posts

Posted 03 January 2003 - 09:14

AM:
Thanks for the welcome.
The Brooklands Automobile Racing Club awarded car badges to it's members who exceeded 110 MPH, 120 MPH, and 130 MPH. The following is a list of those who exceeded 130 MPH.
I am not sure of the accuracy of the list, or my memory, as I have heard that there were only 12 people who broke the 130 barrier, Chris Staniland having done it twice. I am willing to stand corrected.
Cheers,

Ron Scoma

Kaye Don (first to break 130 mph in 1938)
John Cobb
George Eyston
Oliver Bertram
Dudley Froy
Whitney Straight
Charles Brackenbury
Chris Stainland
Freddy Dixon
Richard Marker
Lord Howe
C.T.Baker-Carr
Jack Duller
George-Harvey Noble
and two women
Kay Petre
Gwenda Stewart

#18 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,768 posts

Posted 03 January 2003 - 09:15

The next New Zealand book I would like to see Eion write is one about Ken Smith.

#19 Anorak Man

Anorak Man

• 312 posts

Posted 04 January 2003 - 08:25

Ron Sed:

The Brooklands Automobile Racing Club awarded car badges to it's members who exceeded 110 MPH, 120 MPH, and 130 MPH. The following is a list of those who exceeded 130 MPH.
I am not sure of the accuracy of the list, or my memory, as I have heard that there were only 12 people who broke the 130 barrier, Chris Staniland having done it twice. I am willing to stand corrected.
Cheers,

Ron Scoma

Kaye Don (first to break 130 mph in 1938)
John Cobb
George Eyston
Oliver Bertram
Dudley Froy
Whitney Straight
Charles Brackenbury
Chris Stainland
Freddy Dixon
Richard Marker
Lord Howe
C.T.Baker-Carr
Jack Duller
George-Harvey Noble
and two women
Kay Petre
Gwenda Stewart

Ahhh Brooklands ARC, and lap speeds, it HAD to be eh? I was thinking British ARC, and top speeds. Blimey, imagine 130 mph around the bumps of Brooklands in those unbalanced monsta-motas.
"You, furst Sir!"

What would they be clocking on the staight to do lap speeds of 130 Ron?
This'd be the place to verify the list ready for your Book too.
Somebody here will know.

AM

Advertisement

#20 Anorak Man

Anorak Man

• 312 posts

Posted 04 January 2003 - 08:28

CP offered:

The next New Zealand book I would like to see Eion write is one about Ken Smith.

Yehh! Eoin whetted my appetite too. First run went like 'ot scones. For those who haven't heard, Ken Smith is the Geezer who, after coming a cropper bike-racing, and bending a few bones, placated his distraught rescuers with summat like:

"Just pick up all the bits of the bike, put them in a box in the garage, THEN take me to the hospital."

Priorities!

Let's have more New Book Suggestions, wot about motas?

We eagerly anticipate the next installment of Doug's BRM Thesis. The Sharknose, and 49 have been honoured, but there's enormous scope for more. Doesn't the 72 deserve a biography? Or the McLaren M8-M10, the early Brabhams, surely the Ferrari 312? Then there's engines, if there's a book on the DFV, I've not seen it yet.

AM

#21 Milan Fistonic

Milan Fistonic

• 1,769 posts

Posted 04 January 2003 - 08:38

CP offered:

Yehh! Eoin whetted my appetite too. First run went like 'ot scones. For those who haven't heard, Ken Smith is the Geezer who, after coming a cropper bike-racing, and bending a few bones, placated his distraught rescuers with summat like:

"Just pick up all the bits of the bike, put them in a box in the garage, THEN take me to the hospital."

AM

You're getting a little confused there AM.

Wrong Geezer and wrong author.

It was Burt Munro who you quote and it's from the book written by George Begg.

#22 Anorak Man

Anorak Man

• 312 posts

Posted 04 January 2003 - 10:03

AM left the door open and Milan Swooped in with:

You're getting a little confused there AM.

Wrong Geezer and wrong author.

It was Burt Munro who you quote and it's from the book written by George Begg.

Thank you Milan, it's too many mangoes and durian y'know.

As my fiancee says, "Too heaty!"

Well, I'd like to hear more about the Kiwi bike racer Burt Munro!
Is another edition due in 2003?

Who's this Ken Smith bloke then?

AM

#23 jgm

jgm

• 196 posts

Posted 05 January 2003 - 18:49

I would like Karl Ludvigsen to write an equivalent book to Quicksilver Century about the Auto-Unions. Not quite F1 but what the heck.

#24 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 05 January 2003 - 19:54

another book I would like to see is one on all the French small displacement specials such as DB, CD, etc...kind of like La Sport E I Suoi Artigiani 1937-1965...but on French rather than Italian cars..

#25 Zawed

Zawed

• 4,500 posts

Posted 05 January 2003 - 20:51

Who's this Ken Smith bloke then?

AM

If it's the Ken Smith I'm thinking of, Ken Smith is a guy aged 60+ who is still racing in NZ. He's done everything from F5000, F Atlantics, F Pacific, and he still races in F Ford against guys who are'nt even a quarter his age. Don't know what his overseas racing CV is like though.

#26 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 05 January 2003 - 21:58

Originally posted by Zawed
Don't know what his overseas racing CV is like though.

Never raced in Europe or America, but some success in Australia during the Tasman era, and loads of wins and placings in Malaysia, Singapore etc

#27 Bernd

Bernd

• 3,313 posts

Posted 05 January 2003 - 22:27

Jim Clark by Ludvigsen - I'm not forgetting this Karl ;)

A definitive work on the Tasman Series. I'd pay just about anything for this and almost wish I had the time and drive to write it myself.

A book similar to Fast Tracks on the New Zealand Circuits but I'm probably dreaming there.

Warwick Farm by Barry Lake. Any news Barry?

#28 Anorak Man

Anorak Man

• 312 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 04:38

Originally posted by Bernd
A definitive work on the Tasman Series. I'd pay just about anything for this and almost wish I had the time and drive to write it myself.

*BINGO!*

Great suggestion Bernd! Off-season fun during the classic sixties in Godz-Own (and Australia).

Get onto it, please.

If you're too busy, why not call y'self Editor, and ask Eoin, Ray et al to start tapping for a chunk?

'Parently the Tasman crowd even got up to Japan too, make a nice appendix.

Yes, Karl on Our Jimee would be a big gap filled.

Welcome JGM!

"I would like Karl Ludvigsen to write an equivalent book to Quicksilver Century about the Auto-Unions. Not quite F1 but what the heck."

They had real charisma those pug-nosed racers eh? That's the motas, not the drivers! :)

Incidentally, Amazon have Chriss Nixon's book on the great AU exponent listed as:
"Rose Meyer by Chris Nixon"

Dretceterini offers:

"another book I would like to see is one on all the French small displacement specials such as DB, CD, etc...kind of like La Sport E I Suoi Artigiani 1937-1965...but on French rather than Italian cars"

Not heard of these ... how small were they? I've only recently come across the likes of Moss and Hawthorn thrashing 500cc motas around in great style.

AM

#29 Anorak Man

Anorak Man

• 312 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 04:43

If it's the Ken Smith I'm thinking of, Ken Smith is a guy aged 60+ who is still racing in NZ. He's done everything from F5000, F Atlantics, F Pacific, and he still races in F Ford against guys who are'nt even a quarter his age.

There's some amazing Kiwis eh?
Raced in the Tasman Series and is STILL racing .. Blimey!

I've got a Kiwi Preacher mate who's Dad entered one of the first IronMan events in NZ at the tender age of 50 ... and WON!
AM

#30 karlcars

karlcars

• 660 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 09:31

Jim Clark is certainly on our Haynes driver-book agenda. Thanks for the nomination!

I too am keen to do Auto Union in the same style as my Mercedes-Benz racing book. I've been corresponding with Audi and a German publisher about this for several years now. We're getting closer to an understanding -- I think and hope!

About the DFV, of course this is covered in several books and is one of the chapters -- albeit brief -- in my 'Classic Racing Engines' book. But we do have plans for more engine-related books. Pretty soon I'll probably start a thread on one of them...

I agfree strongly about the need for a book on all the little French specials. That would be just great.

#31 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,768 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 10:14

If it's the Ken Smith I'm thinking of, Ken Smith is a guy aged 60+ who is still racing in NZ. He's done everything from F5000, F Atlantics, F Pacific, and he still races in F Ford against guys who are'nt even a quarter his age. Don't know what his overseas racing CV is like though.

I think he bought a car from Bruce Mclaren so that Bruce could go to England. So he must have started racing before the Tasman.

#32 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 12:17

Originally posted by karlcars
Jim Clark is certainly on our Haynes driver-book agenda. Thanks for the nomination!

About the DFV, of course this is covered in several books and is one of the chapters -- albeit brief -- in my 'Classic Racing Engines' book. But we do have plans for more engine-related books. Pretty soon I'll probably start a thread on one of them...

John Blunsden's "The Power To Win" and Graham Robson's "Cosworth: The Search For Power" being two of the best, although there's also excellent material in DCN's Autocourse History of the GP Car 1966-[85/91].

If you can get hold of a copy (it was given away by Motor Sport a few years ago so shouldn't be difficult) Ford's "Nine Days In Summer" film has some marvellously wooden performances from DKD - and some great footage of the '67 season.

pete

#33 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,776 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 12:32

Originally posted by Ron Scoma
A book on the 12 BARC members who held the 130MPH badge would be welcome ....
Ron

Seventeen, according to the Brooklands entry in Georgano. But the only two they name are the ladies.

#34 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 16:33

Originally posted by Catalina Park
I think he bought a car from Bruce Mclaren so that Bruce could go to England. So he must have started racing before the Tasman.

His first car was the ex-McLaren Ulster Austin 7 but it had had a couple of owners in between, and Bruce had sold it long before any plans to race overseas
I think Kenny's first season was 1959 - maybe 1960

#35 antonvrs

antonvrs

• 500 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 18:05

Bert Munroe- now was a great character! I saw his bike at a party a few years ago and some dumb s--t had "restored" it. In typical California polished and plated style! Unbelievable.
I'd love to see a book on/by Phil Remington. From California hotrodder to Le Mans and beyond. And I'm anxiously awaiting Tony Adriaensen's book on the Fiat 8V.
Anton

#36 Mac Lark

Mac Lark

• 744 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 05:01

Hawthorn and Collins!

So you didn't like 'Mon Ami Mate' then...

Has a decent book ever been written about Tony Brooks??

#37 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 10:24

Originally posted by Mac Lark
Hawthorn and Collins!

So you didn't like 'Mon Ami Mate' then...

Has a decent book ever been written about Tony Brooks??

Not that I'm aware of. I was exchanging emails with Mike Lawrence the other day and this cropped up as something he'd love to write, but publishers don't seem to think there's a market for.

pete

#38 TODave2

TODave2

• 244 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 13:32

I like the idea of a Ron Dennis book, preferably more angled towards the relationships with his drivers. Practically each time they do an interview with him and get to talking about Senna a little bit more information comes out - I reckon there's tons more to be told.

And then there's the rest - Mika, DC, Prost, Lauda, Berger, Johannson, Watson. Would be a damn good read.

#39 Louis Mr. F1

Louis Mr. F1

• 3,495 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 14:01

Originally posted by TODave2
I like the idea of a Ron Dennis book, preferably more angled towards the relationships with his drivers. Practically each time they do an interview with him and get to talking about Senna a little bit more information comes out - I reckon there's tons more to be told.

And then there's the rest - Mika, DC, Prost, Lauda, Berger, Johannson, Watson. Would be a damn good read.

----------------
Absolutely agreed!
there're also Rosberg, Andretti, and ......... MANSELL! A frank biography would be very appealing to me.

Advertisement

#40 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 15:21

A very long overdue and long-needed book would the book covering the American National Championship Trail. Russ Catlin always made noises about doing it, but it never materialized. A book (or more probably, books) on the National Championship Trail containing most of the contemporary magazine articles, especially from the AAA era, would be a wonderful reference tool.

Another book which is sorely needed is a biography of Cameron Argetsinger, the pivot man for re-introducing road racing to postwar America -- among many other things that he did. I was really surprised to find out little has been written about this incredible man in recent years.

Of course, there is still a small line waiting for the "definitive" books on the 'F5000' era -- one for America, another for Europe, and another for Down Under.

And, of course, we should not anticipate the saga of the American professional Road Racing Championships run by USAC and SCCA from 1958 to 1968 anytime soon, as much as it would be welcomed.

One that many would like to see most is The Real, The Complete, The Whole Ball-of-Wax Story on the 1939 European Championship. As well as the rest of the Euro Championship seasons, of course.

Plus, isn't it about time for a hard, in-depth look at the FIASCO War? Or the CART/USAC War?

#41 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,776 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 15:55

Originally posted by petefenelon

.... publishers don't seem to think there's a market for.

pete

Yeah well, what do publishers know about books? Plenty of bestsellers come off the slush pile (Day of the Jackal for example) or sell by word of mouth, but they pile large amounts of money into promoting some editor's baby which everyone in the company (except the editor concerned) knows will sell about 43 copies and be remaindered and forgotten in about three months .... :rolleyes:

The reaction when CASB is mentioned around here, not to mention his appearance at Goodwood last year. proves those publishers wrong. But from their point of view, the man is not "promotable" - no scandal, nothing for their publicity people to get their teeth into, too "nice" really .... :

#42 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 1,070 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 16:41

Been lurking for a few days now so suppose I'd better join in... :)

Doesn't the 72 deserve a biography? Or the McLaren M8-M10, the early Brabhams, surely the Ferrari 312? Then there's engines, if there's a book on the DFV, I've not seen it yet.Doesn't the 72 deserve a biography? Or the McLaren M8-M10, the early Brabhams, surely the Ferrari 312? Then there's engines, if there's a book on the DFV, I've not seen it yet.Doesn't the 72 deserve a biography? Or the McLaren M8-M10, the early Brabhams, surely the Ferrari 312? Then there's engines, if there's a book on the DFV, I've not seen it yet.

I can help on at least one of those! My Lotus 72 book will be published this year, at present pencilled in for April. It's with the publisher, we are just tying up the layout and photos, plus a few outstanding queries...

Re the DFV, wasn't there a book published by MRP called 'Such Sweet Thunder'. IIRC it had a listing of all the DFVs (or the early ones, at least) and who they were sold to, which was quite useful when I was writing my Lotus 49 book.

Mike O

#43 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 17:26

Originally posted by Michael Oliver
Been lurking for a few days now so suppose I'd better join in... :)

I can help on at least one of those! My Lotus 72 book will be published this year, at present pencilled in for April. It's with the publisher, we are just tying up the layout and photos, plus a few outstanding queries...

Re the DFV, wasn't there a book published by MRP called 'Such Sweet Thunder'. IIRC it had a listing of all the DFVs (or the early ones, at least) and who they were sold to, which was quite useful when I was writing my Lotus 49 book.

Mike O

Blimey, this place is turning into an animated version of my bookshelves ;) - Welcome, thanks for the 49 book (which I mostly read for the first time under the grandstands at Le Mans 2000, it was too hot to emerge for more than a few laps at a time in the early afternoon!).

Looks like this is going to be a good year's reading - BRM vol 2 and the 72 book coming up! :)

Is Blunsden's "The Power to Win" an update of "Such Sweet Thunder"?

pete

#44 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 17:37

First of all, Welcome to TNF, Michael! Delighted to have you here. Second, I have always been interested in all those DFV's and DFX's and so forth (DFY's) out there and where they all went while being raced. One of the nice things was that the book Michael talks about was a great help in sorting some things out, but also that Autosport used to keep track of the DFV blocks for several seasons. Definitely looking forward to 72 book! Then the 18 book?

#45 Mac Lark

Mac Lark

• 744 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 18:46

Not that I'm aware of. I was exchanging emails with Mike Lawrence the other day and this cropped up as something he'd love to write, but publishers don't seem to think there's a market for.

pete

I'm confused.

Chris Nixon wrote a fabulous book on 'The brief bright lives' of Mike Hawthorn and Peter Collins.

It was called 'Mon Ami Mate'.

I've just finished it these Xmas holidays.

Expensive, very detailed - is there untold stories??

#46 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 19:40

Originally posted by Mac Lark

I'm confused.

Chris Nixon wrote a fabulous book on 'The brief bright lives' of Mike Hawthorn and Peter Collins.

It was called 'Mon Ami Mate'.

I've just finished it these Xmas holidays.

Expensive, very detailed - is there untold stories??

Yes, you're confused. We were talking about Tony Brooks.

pete

#47 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 1,070 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 20:46

Blimey, this place is turning into an animated version of my bookshelves ;) - Welcome, thanks for the 49 book (which I mostly read for the first time under the grandstands at Le Mans 2000, it was too hot to emerge for more than a few laps at a time in the early afternoon!).

Looks like this is going to be a good year's reading - BRM vol 2 and the 72 book coming up! :)

Is Blunsden's "The Power to Win" an update of "Such Sweet Thunder"?

pete

Thanks for the comments about the 49 book - glad I was able to relieve the tedium of hot weather! I'm not sure about The Power to Win as I don't have either that or Such Sweet Thunder - I think the appendix on engine numbers that I have was copied when I visited the Cosworth library :)

Mike O

#48 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 1,070 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 21:00

Originally posted by Don Capps
First of all, Welcome to TNF, Michael! Delighted to have you here. Second, I have always been interested in all those DFV's and DFX's and so forth (DFY's) out there and where they all went while being raced. One of the nice things was that the book Michael talks about was a great help in sorting some things out, but also that Autosport used to keep track of the DFV blocks for several seasons. Definitely looking forward to 72 book! Then the 18 book?

Well, I thought if it was good enough for Doug Nye, Karl Ludvigsen et al, then it was certainly good enough for me :)

Yes, you're right, Autosport was pretty good for tracking DFVs, as long as you understood the numbering system so that you could keep track of engines that had been updated! I don't know when they stopped doing this but hopefully not until past 1982, as this is about as up-to-date as I ever plan to get in book terms at least :D Now there's a new project for TNF to take on: a 'Where are they now' for DFVs...any takers?

After the 72 book will be the Lotus Wing Cars book, covering types 77-88 in one volume, as by 1976 F1 cars were becoming slightly more 'disposable' and only being used for one season or two at the most. I've already completed several of the key interviews but I just need a slight pause to get back on speaking terms with the wife and kids before I dive into writing that one :eek:

As for the 18, it's a bit before my time - I'll leave that for one of the 'old boys' to do. Doug...how about it? :D

Mike O

#49 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 21:32

pete

Can we have that publisher's E Mail address so that the whole lot of us can convince him/her otherwise?

#50 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,524 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 21:59

Originally posted by Michael Oliver
As for the 18, it's a bit before my time - I'll leave that for one of the 'old boys' to do. Doug...how about it? :D Mike O

Coo - only just come in out of the snow and he's insulting me already. A most warm welcome to TNF Mike...since I have the Lotus 25 and 33 logbook material why don't we do that properly first?

DCN