Photo

Fangio's companion/Fangio's body exhumed (merged)

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 20:39

Been looking at the 'Champion : Fangio' DVD today. One person always features in the after race footage of his races, obviously his companion at the time, indeed she seems to have been with Fangio for virtually all his career while racing over here in Europe. Can anyone tell me who she was and what happened to her?? He never married her, I wonder why as they were obviously very close. You wouldhave thought that he would have tied the know after he retired, for a start. Any ideas anyone??

Advertisement

#2 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,993 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 20:57

It could be Dona Andreina, who was married to someone else so JMF could not marry her. I think she's mentioned in one or 2 threads here.

#3 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 21:27

Andreina - almost certainly. She proved 'difficult' in later times and I was led to understand by The Old Boy himself that there may have been some jiggery pokery - more of which I'm too polite to wonder - with Marcello Giambertone, Fangio's business manager/promoter... Juan referred to her in later life as "The woman"...I do not know whether or not such a term of reference carries with it any particular inference in Argentine Spanish - but this will be the place to find out! Arturo??? Felix??? Anybody???

DCN

#4 Marzal

Marzal

• 89 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 21:36

In Spanish Spanish sounds well but Argentina is very far from here! :wave:

...who knows!

#5 Felix Muelas

Felix Muelas

• 1,209 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 22:06

I will like to hear Arturo´s opinion as Marzal is right when he points out that the Spanish (probable) version of "The Woman" (i.e. La Mujer) is normally used in a positive sense. On the other hand, it is possible that using "La" (the) instead of "Mi" (my) might not only make some sense in this case (she was effectively married to "Cacho" Espinosa) but might have a second reading in Fangio´s lips and I think Arturo might be the man to tell us about that. ;)

un abrazo
fm

PS : Ah! I was forgetting, but I shouldn´t :blush: Karl Ludvigsen! There are some pictures of "Beba" in his biography (Haynes, 1999) and I guess he might illustrate the point also...

#6 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 22:36

Felix - tell us more about 'Cacho' Espinosa...... ????? ) :

DCN

#7 Marcor

Marcor

• 1,198 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 22:42

I've 3 different biographies of Fangio (from 1958, 1961 and 1995). I know the 3 books are not the best but I've bought it as second hand (or cheap price). Two of them includes the same pictures with Fangio with Neubauer and Andreina.

#8 marhal

marhal

• 129 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 06:03

Hello...............I think you´re talking about Andreina Berruet, aka "Beba". She is the mother of Oscar aka "Cacho", the only son of Fangio (at least recognized by the Maestro). Probably they never get married because she was already married. During the years Fangio had several women, but in general he was very discrete with his private life. The last woman in Fangio´s life was a lawyer. In Argentina there was a rumour that the late Juan Manuel Bordeu (another great driver) could be Fangio´s son, but it´s only a rumour. Remember that in the old Turismo Carretera category the races had an enourmous distance (from 1,000 Kms to 7,000 or 8,000 kms), lasting many days, and the drivers traveled the country completely. Aditionally, they used to make tests, recognition travels, etc. so they spent the most part of the year outside their homes................ about Giambertone, it´s very posible that he was hired by Fangio for Beba´s recomendation............some days ago a Fangio´s closer friend told me that Giambertone claimed to be "Fangio´s manager", instead the Maestro called Giambertone "mi secretario" (my secretary).

#9 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 08:43

Fangio was particularly dismissive of the alleged autobiography 'My Twenty Years of Racing' (I think) ''ghosted' by Giambertone. "He arranged to do it with The Woman - it was the cause of the trouble with Ferrari..." he said.

DCN

#10 Arturo Pereira

Arturo Pereira

• 843 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 19:08

Originally posted by Felix Muelas
I will like to hear Arturo´s opinion as Marzal is right when he points out that the Spanish (probable) version of "The Woman" (i.e. La Mujer) is normally used in a positive sense. On the other hand, it is possible that using "La" (the) instead of "Mi" (my) might not only make some sense in this case (she was effectively married to "Cacho" Espinosa) but might have a second reading in Fangio´s lips and I think Arturo might be the man to tell us about that. ;)

un abrazo
fm

PS : Ah! I was forgetting, but I shouldn´t :blush: Karl Ludvigsen! There are some pictures of "Beba" in his biography (Haynes, 1999) and I guess he might illustrate the point also...

I agree with Felix that "My woman" would make much more sense. I use to talk about my wife as "my woman" and it is normal here when a husband talks about his wife, though the opposite is not that usual :blush:

Also "The Woman" (with capitol letters) could have a quite different meaning when compared with "the woman". The first one would denote admiration, while the second indifference, or something like that.

Knowing the way Fangio managed his personal affairs it would be very difficult to find someone who really knows what the Maestro thought about this matters (personal matters I mean). I would say that she was (only) Fangio's girfriend while he raced at Europe, period.

AS for Juan Manuel Bordeu having been Fangio's son, they were great friends and Fangio helped him when he started driving formula cars. Bordeu even started one F1 GP (1961 France), but an accident stopped his european career http://www.museofang...deu_cuadro.html . Bordeu followed a pattern that later was used also by Carlos Reutemann. Reuteamann had better success. Bordeu died in 1990 (cancer) at the age of 56.

Arturo

#11 paulhooft

paulhooft

• 873 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 19:20

I the Ludvigsen book is a story about a racing Belgium lady and a very well known high placed from Argentina...
Great stories...
Paul ;)

#12 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 20:51

Originally posted by marhal
Remember that in the old Turismo Carretera category the races had an enourmous distance (from 1,000 Kms to 7,000 or 8,000 kms), lasting many days, and the drivers traveled the country completely. Aditionally, they used to make tests, recognition travels, etc. so they spent the most part of the year outside their homes................

Reminds me of a wonderfully apocryphal Stuart Turner anecdote about the late Roger Clark when Roger was recce'ing the World Cup Rally up in the Andes. Turner claims he told Clark to investigate how altitude would affect stamina, and suggested that Roger should go out and find a local girl at about 12000 feet, make love to her and see how he felt.

Roger telexed back that he couldn't find a girl at 12000 feet but found one at 1000 feet and made love 12 times and felt OK. :p

pete

#13 cabianca

cabianca

• 712 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 04:46

Fangio discusses Beba and the end of their relationship in one of his bios. It seems that in the days of GP travel, everthing was fine, but back at the rancho, "anything was an excuse to have a fight." So they went their separate ways. Fangio was the original avoid conflict guy. That's why Giambertone was around, to keep someone between Fangio and the press, the public, Fangio's employers, etc. It was Giambertone's bio, not Fangio's that made the most outrageous claims about Ferrari's efforts to undermine Fangio's success. Giambertone did the dirty work, so Fangio could remain above the fray. We're all familair with the legend, but IMO, he was a very complicated individual whose story has yet to be told.

#14 marhal

marhal

• 129 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 05:04

Anyway.........Fangio always was a low-profile guy..............and had an enormous patience. I don´t know how many times he had to talk about his debut in motorsport or about the 1957 Germany GP.........for me..........he is almost a saint.

By the way, very often the drivers get divorce after his retirement..................

#15 RSNS

RSNS

• 1,521 posts

Posted 10 January 2003 - 01:15

Originally posted by cabianca
Fangio discusses Beba and the end of their relationship in one of his bios. It seems that in the days of GP travel, everthing was fine, but back at the rancho, "anything was an excuse to have a fight." So they went their separate ways. Fangio was the original avoid conflict guy. That's why Giambertone was around, to keep someone between Fangio and the press, the public, Fangio's employers, etc. It was Giambertone's bio, not Fangio's that made the most outrageous claims about Ferrari's efforts to undermine Fangio's success. Giambertone did the dirty work, so Fangio could remain above the fray. We're all familair with the legend, but IMO, he was a very complicated individual whose story has yet to be told.

That is an interesting opinion. Could you elaborate further? The way I see it, Giambertone was just grabbing the opportunity to sell a book. You may rest assured that Fangio was not involved in the actual writing of the book: otherwise how could he agree with the statement that Fangio's Nürburgring 57 victory was Gianbertone's doing?

As far as I know Beba was his constant companion during the GP years. They did not get married because, as already stated, she was married already.

Fangio was a most unfaithful lover, but he was discreet (and was helped by other people to keep Ardeina in the dark).

When he retired they had a fight in which things were said that could not be forgiven. According to Fangio, they no longer respected one another and that was the end to the liaison.

In latter days, Fangio spoke of the foolishness of droping a certain relation - perhaps with Beba.

#16 Dennis Hockenbury

Dennis Hockenbury

• 669 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 17:31

Does anyone know what became of Beba/Andreina after 1960?

#17 marhal

marhal

• 129 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 05:26

Probably Beba is still alive in Argentina................his son Cacho, lives in Mar del Plata where he is the owner of a lottery agency......................

#18 Dennis Hockenbury

Dennis Hockenbury

• 669 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 15:57

Originally posted by marhal
Probably Beba is still alive in Argentina................his son Cacho, lives in Mar del Plata where he is the owner of a lottery agency......................

A conversation with Beba and Cacho would be very interesting. Perhaps our Argentine connection can work on this. Given the current age of Beba, it would be timely to capture her perspective and thoughts on Fangio for posterity, assuming that she would be willing to share her thoughts.

#19 Magee

Magee

• 379 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 23:16

BTW: Excellent painting of Fangio at Nurburgring at this site:

http://www.kaneroger...editions/5.html

Advertisement

#20 Dennis Hockenbury

Dennis Hockenbury

• 669 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 01:18

An old thread, but some new information on this topic emerges from the latest tome on Fangio by Donaldson.

Karl Ludvigsen's excellent Fangio work from several years back included the following: "Andreina 'Beba' Berruet Espinosa and her husband - who somewhat resembled Fangio - had lived not far from the driver in Balcarce. Divorce not being a possibility in Catholic Argentina, Juan and Beba had no option but to behave as man and wife ."

Now in the latest Donaldson work, the following "....Beba had first come into Juan's life when she was living in Balcarce with her husband, a potato grower, from whom she was divorced soon after meeting Juan . Shortly after this, on 6 April, 1938, Beba gave birth to a son whom she named Oscar Espinosa. Though the indentity of Oscar's father remained in doubt - even Juan's family never knew for sure - it was noted that he had Juan's eyes, face and bowed legs. When the time came for 'Cacho' to go to school, Beba took him to Mar del Plata where she left him in the care of her sister."

Apparantly Juan spent much time with Cacho during the off season playing football with Cacho and his friends in Mar del Plata. Fangio allowed Cacho to use his name during the time he and Beba were together - some 20 years. Cacho had a minor career in racing and competed in the 1968 F2 Temporada Argentine.

At some point after the breakup between Juan and Beba in 1960, Cacho unsuccessfully sued Fangio for the right to continue using Fangio's family name. From what I have read and heard over the years, it would seem unlikely that Cacho, or Juan-Manuel Bordeu were the sons of Juan Fangio.

According to all of the books that I have read on JMF, Fangio had many, many liasons during his time with Beba, and these continued well into his later years, but Beba was the one great love of his life.

Donaldson includes some amusing scenes regarding Beba in his book, one of which takes place in the hospital after Fangio's near-fatal accident at the second Lesmo (Monza) whereupon on his second day in the hospital he partially awoke to find his hand being held one of his beautiful Italian girlfriends, who was wearing a nun's habit as a disguise used to persuade the sympathetic nurses to see her beloved. As she sat on the side of his bed, the feisty Beba enters and warily sizes up the nun. Not to be outdone, she grabbed Juan's other hand and held it firmly until two pretty young girls enter the room carrying a large bouquet of flowers. In fact the girls were Juan's nieces from the Italian branch of the Fangios, but were unknown to Beba. Needless to say, girls are quickly exiting the room in a classic display of Latin temperment followed by a hurled bouquet leaving the Italian nun girlfriend holding Juan's hand.

Another involves Fangio in 1991 at a function in London introducing the Moss/Nye book. "In the audience at the book launch, and carefully kept separate from one another by knowing friends of Juan's, were no less than 3 girlfriends of the Maestro, then in his 80th year, the twinkle in his eye undiminshed."

You have to admire the man for more than his racing career. As for the rest, it is most likely not of importance.

#21 Arturo Pereira

Arturo Pereira

• 843 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 05:03

Dennis,

I can not understand how she was married with a man in Argentina, then she was divorced and after that she could not marry Juan being single again, even in the 'catholic' Argentina of the early 50s.

I would say that it would be better to define the relationship between Beban and Juan as a couple, as simple as that. They could show their relationship in the main european magazines (there are enough pictures of the 2 out there as to confirm they just did not care about being photographed together ... Silverstone 1956 just to mention one situation). The point was that Argentina if the early/mid 50s, as a 'catholic' society, did not accept very well that the most famous ever Argentine F1 driver could have had an 'unofficial' relationship with a woman, to all its effects. Considering the kind of regime that represented the government in the early 50s, I would not be surprised by the fact that that government acted as a censor of those kind of information, with the help of the main F1 argentine journalists, most of them receiving strong money aids from the same government. That government, imho of course, was inspired by the 30s italian fascism. If you look carefully to the way Italy (and also Germany) in the late 30s used sports to their political benefit, then you should not be surprised that a very good fascist pupil as Peron used public budget to promote certain sports and sportsmen, included Fangio. I do not mean to say that Fangio was #1 because of Peron influence. I mean to say that there are great chances that that political state of affairs could have influenced over the argentine journalism, to say the least.

On the other hand, it is well known how well Fangio preserved his private life until his death .... and it shows even nowadays :)

His relationship with Beba was public in Europe for almost many years, well after he got his 5th World Championship. If things were not clear by then was not because this is an obscure matter, but because it was part of his private life, the same as all the other relationships he could have had with other women.

In any case, he was gentleman enough as to keep all the affairs he was supposed to have had with many women in the private (and discrete) zone ... where they really belong imho :smoking:

Any other speculation is just that ... an speculation. THere could be a sort of historical interest to put some light to this kind of facts, but, considering that some of the people involved are still alive, for what I know, I guess that puting this kind of light on his mother's past is not very gentlemany, imho of course :)

Arturo

#22 Dennis Hockenbury

Dennis Hockenbury

• 669 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 17:17

Arturo, oh dear, I fear that you have taken offense where none was intended.

I was attempting to point out, however poorly, that there are now two books by noted authors that offer differing accounts of the marital status of Dona Andreina. I don't know the answer to this, but the answer would put into the light the context of their relationship. I agree with you that in the final analysis they should simply be considered as a couple.

Fangio's sense of personal privacy and discretion is well documented, and in my view, to be commended.

The new Donaldson book puts into the public domain information regarding the relationship between Beba and Juan. In my humble view, none of this diminishes Fangio's standing as one of the greatest drivers in the history of the sport. His near-mythic status is sufficiently large enough to withstand a minor degree of humanization. I have always held the opinion that Dona Andreina was an extraordinary woman, even more so considering the strictures of her world at the time. She was the only woman he acknowledged, and clearly the one true love of his life.

The illuminating backdrop of 1950's Argentina that you portray, particularly the Peron era, would not allow Juan and Beba to live openly in the same manner that they chose while living in Europe. The duality of that existance would shape and form to some degree who Fangio the man was, and likely contributed to the tensions between them. The post-Peron period and the resultant fallout was a prime reason for the delay in Fangio's planned retirement from racing in 1955 and prompted his return to Europe with Ferrari in 1956.

On a divergent note, I have always enjoyed those books that humanize our heroes, and that provide a more fully formed view of our heroes as people and not just as mere statistics and driving exploits. Not only the drivers, but their lives and exploits away from the circuit, not to mention the countless and oftentimes anonymous people in the back rooms that design and build these wonderful machines.

Among those that readily come to mind are Mon Ami Mate (Nixon), Cooper Cars (Nye), BRM (Nye), Villeneuve (Donaldson), Chapman (Lawrence), and various works on Dick Seaman to name but a few.

I had the opportunity to spend time on several occasions with Juan Fangio in Balcarce and Buenos Aires, and those are times that I will always treasure. For me, Fangio shall always epitomize the meaning of "gentleman".

Again my apologies if I inadvertently offended.

#23 Arturo Pereira

Arturo Pereira

• 843 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 22:38

Hi Dennis :)

You do not need to apologize !! I am far form being offended !! I guess that the problem is more related with my not that good English. I speak Spanish and so there are great chances that I do not understand some words or phrases very well, and that I can not make myself clear enough when writing.

Glad you could meet Fangio. I had the same luck in the early 80s and we met several times since then. I can see we share the same opinion about him. A man that talked more with his silences and gestures than with words :)

I also agree with your comments about the publications that tend to humanize some popular men (or women). I think that the way Fangio kept his private life as private was most due to cultural reasons. He was born in a small town, base of an agricultural community where all people knew all people. I bet that this fact made him very conservative in many ways, even if the guys had to have fun anyway ;)

AS for his retirement in 1955, he was 45 by then and there were great chances that he was begining to feel the age. Maybe he was a bit old by the time he went to Europe for the 1st time, but being able to race those cars of the late 40s was his personal ambition. Racing with Varzi, Wimille, Nuvolari, Ascari, Farina ... for a guy with his origins that should have been like a day in paradise :smoking:

Arturo

#24 Dennis Hockenbury

Dennis Hockenbury

• 669 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 00:42

:)

Way off topic Arturo, is La Cabaña still in operation. They served the finest steak I have ever had the pleasure of eating.

Your English is far superior to my Spanish at present. I'm very, very rusty.

#25 Arturo Pereira

Arturo Pereira

• 843 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 02:15

Originally posted by Dennis Hockenbury
:)

Way off topic Arturo, is La Cabaña still in operation. They served the finest steak I have ever had the pleasure of eating.

Your English is far superior to my Spanish at present. I'm very, very rusty.

Hi Dennis :)

I am afraid that La Cabaña closed its doors some years ago. Anyway, you still have many choices here if you would want a fine steak. Restaurants like 'La Caballeriza', 'Hereford', 'El Mirasol', 'Cabaña Las Lilas', 'Rosa Negra' and many more are still bringing the finest steaks you can imagine :)

If you ever visit my country again, let me know with some anticipation so I can plan a sort of 'steak' tour ..... in addition to all the car racing sutff of course ;)

#26 Dennis Hockenbury

Dennis Hockenbury

• 669 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 02:25

It would seem that there is yet another chapter in this story to be written.

#27 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,069 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 02:56

Reading Speed Cafe a local motorsport online publication it appear they are going to exhume Fangio for a paternity test. To test wether Oscar Espinoza is his son by Andrea Berruet. Who was his partner for two decades.

Very sad really and most probably about money. The article does not state that though.

#28 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 04:39

I was so desperately hoping this might just be a wild rumour, but am now beginning to fear the worst:

http://www.motorspor...gentinian-judge

Why can't these sick vultures leave him to rest in peace and dignity?

#29 Gabrci

Gabrci

• 655 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 06:20

I was so desperately hoping this might just be a wild rumour, but am now beginning to fear the worst:

http://www.motorspor...gentinian-judge

Why can't these sick vultures leave him to rest in peace and dignity?

I feel you are hugely unfair in your judgement of Mr. Espinosa. If you look at him it's quite obvious he is right and I think Fangio even let him use his name while he was together with Beba. You can't know whether it's purely about money and fame or just about a man who wants to be officially recognized to be the son of his actual father, who I believe should have taken responsibility once he fathered a child. I don't know the details and I don't want to know either, but I really don't think any of us is in a position to judge one way or the other. 

#30 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 06:46

You are right, and I should have made it clear that I wasn't including 'Cacho' among the vultures. But I believe that if he was that worried about being recognised as Fangio's son he would have got things sorted many years ago whilst the great man was alive. The reports say that he started this legal action only in 2013 - why did he leave it so long? It seems to me that the lawyers got their claws into him and are looking to milk this to the maximum, hence this ghoulish ruling. I agree, however, that it is possibly unfair for those of us who don't know the details to pass judgement.

#31 LotusElise

LotusElise

• 888 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 21:24

I agree with Tim. It isn't as if he is in any position to have a relationship with his father, if that is what Fangio was. The money issue is also contentious, as JMF was an old man when he died, and presumably had a comprehensive and well-worded will.

With my archaeological ghoul head on, I know that they might not even be able to get a decent DNA sample anyway. 

#32 richardspringett

richardspringett

• 211 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 21:46

I don`t wish to get involved in this controversy, however I do feel some sympathy for JMF`s `son`. Whilst I would be happy to be accepted as such, however, if people then began to question that - for whatever reason - I would try and prove it; if by DNA sobeit.

It is a brave - confident? - person who takes these steps.

Richard 

#33 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 00:25

This is all most unpalatable, but family is family. Fangio was not buried. His coffin rests on a shelf to the right within the family tomb in the cemetery at Balcarce, draped - at least when I saw it - in the Argentine flag. So it's not really a question of 'exhuming' the great man's remains as we Protestants or Anglicans - or Humanists, agnostics or atheists, whoever - would perhaps understand it... But so far as I am concerned 'unpalatable' applies all round really, and is rather too mild a term.

RIP Maestro.

DCN

#34 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,170 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 03:35

Sad.

#35 Dennis Hockenbury

Dennis Hockenbury

• 669 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 23:18

I sincerely trust that this will be conducted with the dignity and decorum accorded to a national and global hero. As for the rest, I hope that the answers provide closure and peace.

#36 Mekola

Mekola

• 2,647 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 22:09

Today, the Maestro's body was exhumated to do DNA proofs on the inquiries of Espinosa and Vazquez, after their claim they're his natural sons.

Vazquez was present at Balcarce cemetery, as did many of the JMF's museum people. Cacho wasn't present.

Results of the inquiry will be known in September.

#37 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,466 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 05:38

Today, the Maestro's body was exhumated to do DNA proofs on the inquiries of Espinosa and Vazquez, after their claim they're his natural sons.
Vazquez was present at Balcarce cemetery, as did many of the JMF's museum people. Cacho wasn't present.
Results of the inquiry will be known in September.

Thank you for the update. Please let us know when there is some resolution to this.

Jack.

#38 hittheapex

hittheapex

• 1,193 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 09:37

You are right, and I should have made it clear that I wasn't including 'Cacho' among the vultures. But I believe that if he was that worried about being recognised as Fangio's son he would have got things sorted many years ago whilst the great man was alive. The reports say that he started this legal action only in 2013 - why did he leave it so long? It seems to me that the lawyers got their claws into him and are looking to milk this to the maximum, hence this ghoulish ruling. I agree, however, that it is possibly unfair for those of us who don't know the details to pass judgement.

Maybe he did try to resolve this when Fangio was alive and we dont' know the details but he's been dead 20 years now....I can't understand his waiting so long either.

Edited by hittheapex, 08 August 2015 - 09:37.

#39 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,249 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 11:29

One would think that the great Juan Manuel Fangio would be allowed to rest peacefully after his 84-year lifetime in the public eye...

But being in the public eye is possibly why his body has now been exhumed.

With DNA technology always on the march, I wonder why a small sample of something was simply not taken without removing the remains from the tomb?

Kind of sad, I feel... but there's no doubt a range of feelings about such an incident.

Edited by Ray Bell, 09 August 2015 - 13:46.

Advertisement

#40 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 20:02

One would think that the great Juan Manuel Fangio would be allowed to rest peacefully after his 84-year lifetime in the public eye...

But being in the public eye is possibly why his body has now been exhumed.

With DNA technology always on the march, I wonder why a small sample of something was simply not taken without removing the remains from the tomb?

Kind of sad, I feel... but there's no doubt a range of feelings about such an incident.

Speaking from a biologist's viewpoint, any remains need to be handled in a laboratory environment in order to ensure an uncontaminated sample of DNA.  Speaking as a motorsport history enthusiast who still considers Fangio to have been the greatest driver of all time, I find it desperately sad. :cry:

#41 Arturo Pereira

Arturo Pereira

• 843 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 11:20

All this stuff is quite disgusting.

#42 Mekola

Mekola

• 2,647 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 15:27

They did he leave it so long because, after 20 years of the death, sucession heritage issues in Argentina are resolved in different form. Until 20 years, is direct, normal, heritage. After 20 years, starts the proceeds of prescription or usucapion.

Edited by Mekola, 11 August 2015 - 15:28.

#43 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,993 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 18:05

It's not the only dead driver with legal proceedings around him - John Dawson-Damer's widow is suing trustees of a family trust as they appear to have amended the provisions so that £400m goes to the children of his older brother, rather than his adopted children...

#44 Dennis Hockenbury

Dennis Hockenbury

• 669 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:12

Arturo, if I may ask, what is the general reaction to this in Argentina.

#45 Mekola

Mekola

• 2,647 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 01:32

About Oscar "Cacho" Espinosa, there are renowned journos in Argentina that believe he could be the natural son of JMF. Even I tend to believe in his possibility, mostly when he had an own racing career supported partially by Fangio himself. Remember the highest peak on Oscar's racing career is that he was hired to race in the 1969 Marathon de la Route in one of the crews of the three Torino 380W of the Misión Argentina at the Nürburgring, the last racing operation where the Maestro was involved. In national motorsport, Oscar had also the luck to drive the sister car of 1968 champion of Turismo Carretera. 1968 Turismo Carretera champion was Carlos Pairetti with the "Trueno Naranja"-Chevrolet prototype; Oscar's car has the same design but painted differently, then it was nicknamed the "Trueno Dorado".

The other case is not so known, to be sure.

Next Wednesday could be news about the matter about the results of the filiation demands.

Edited by Mekola, 05 December 2015 - 02:04.

#46 63Corvette

63Corvette

• 358 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 00:59

All this stuff is quite disgusting.

Arturo, this same type of issue made a billionaire out of Piero, so it is quite likely that somewhere, someone would be happy to learn the truth.

#47 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 20:06

Might I suggest that this is not completely about money...  Recognition of patrimony is also a matter of considerable interest, and in this case, pride.  Not everything in life boils down to the darned Dollar.

DCN

#48 Otaku

Otaku

• 1,715 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 19:10

It's been confirmed now by the ADN test. 

News in spanish: http://www.ambito.co...a.asp?id=819192

English: http://www.motorspor...s-fangio-s-son/

Edited by Otaku, 09 December 2015 - 19:12.

#49 Mekola

Mekola

• 2,647 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 22:30

Justice was done regarding Oscar "Cacho" Fangio, now totally legitimate son of the Maestro. :clap: :clap: :clap:

At least, all the suspicions all Argentine journos had in the 1960s were all confirmed.

Sir Frank Williams must be happy with the news, as he knew "Cacho" personally in the 1968 Temporada of F2.

#50 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 10:02

I am advised by a friend in Buenos Aires " that the law has confirmed that Rubén Vázquez, the other man who claimed being son of Juan Manuel Fangio (a) 'El Maestro', 'El Quíntuple' or 'El Chueco de Balcarce', is indeed his son".

DCN

Edited by Doug Nye, 04 February 2016 - 10:02.