Photo

1993 Hawaiian Super Gran Prix

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 theunions

theunions

• 638 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 16:24

I am hastily starting work on a history-type feature article on the first failed Hawaiian Super Prix, more correctly known as the Super Gran Prix, which was intended as an IROC-style international invitational race with a $1 million winner-take-all purse for Shelby Can-Am cars around Aloha Stadium in Honolulu. The article will be published online on the 10th anniversary of the race's intended date of January 24, 1993.

13 drivers signed formal letters of intent:

Mario Andretti
Bill Elliott
Steve Kinser
Hiro Matsushita
Derek Warwick
Kyle Petty
Martin Brundle
Eric Comas
Al Unser Jr.
Michael Schumacher
Riccardo Patrese
Michael Andretti
Juan Fangio II

And 2 were consultants:

Derek Daly
Patrick Tambay

I am busy contacting some of the North/South American drivers for their input in this piece (along with others at the promotional/organizational level) but I'll need some help regarding the European ones. I assume I shouldn't even bother with Schumacher. :drunk:

So if anyone has good e-mail contact info for the F1 veterans on that list, please e-mail me ASAP off-list.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

#2 theunions

theunions

• 638 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 16:26

Here's the finished product (for now), which shows you how little success I had in tracking down the would-be participants:
Anything but gran

There are three I have touched base with and hope to ultimately get feedback from, though.

Comments?