Need info on particular porsche 917K

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cjpani

cjpani

• 2,456 posts

Posted 18 January 2003 - 05:11

Fellas

I concurr to you as I am in need of specific details of the Porsche 917K chassis # 016.
Particularly the one raced at Watkins Glen by Pedro Rodríguez in 1970, which beared N°2.
The reason for this request is that i have ordered a 1/12 scale model of the car, and I have seen the finished job, which is very very good.
Nonetheless, I believe there are some details that are missing in the model, which i would like included in my model; as I want it to be as accurate as possible.
Therefore, I would like to ask for your help by confirming or denying the following details that i have found:
-The car in mention did NOT have a dark blue line around the gulf logo placed in the side of the car (behind the door)
-The Gulf logo in the front end of the car (nose) is NOT a round logo, but merely a rectangular figure with the Gulf inscription
-THe car in mention DOES have a Porsche badge at the front, just below the gulf rectangular logo
-The winshield wiper has its base painted white, because it is located inside the white circle containing the number
-The car in mention used Firestone wheels
-The car had small "staples" located around the front lights (i´m guessing to attach the plexiglass covering the bulbs)
-The car in mention had blue, white and red stripes painted in the spokes of the front rims (wheels)
And finally, the one that puzzles me the most, is the fact that i have detected small (very small, subtle) "fins" or winglets located in the rear section of the car, but note that these are not only located on the rear end of the car, but also on the sides of the rear "fenders". This is a configuration that i do not recall seeing in any other 917.

Please, would you be so kind to confirm/deny this details that i have "found", and if possible further expand on any other particular details this car had at that precise race??
Pictures of the details are mostly apreciated. I have looked through tons of pictures, books and magazines but the images are not so clear, so I may be wrong.

Thanks

Carlos

Advertisement

#2 Stephane Lebiez

Stephane Lebiez

• 82 posts

Posted 18 January 2003 - 07:32

I hope following pics can help you :
http://www.motorraci...etro70wat02.htm
http://www.racingspo...0-07-12-002.jpg

#3 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 18 January 2003 - 17:58

Here is another place to look for information:

http://962.com/regis...7-016/index.htm

#4 cjpani

cjpani

• 2,456 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 00:18

Stephane, Don: thanks a lot. First pic I had already seen; second one, although blurry, gives a nice view of the car´s lines.
962.com is an excellent website, specially for locating actual owners of rare porsches, but unfortunately, no particular info or pics on the car´s detail.

Thanks a lot, i´ll keep looking :) maybe jarama, karl or doug could help out on this one -specially pics!-

Carlos

#5 Pedro 917

Pedro 917

• 1,767 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 03:02

Hello Carlos,

Here's a picture showing much of the details you want and also a beautiful painting from Michael Turner :

Posted Image

Pedro and Jo collided while passing a backmarker and While Siffert suffered a puncture, Rodriguez had to come in to fix his door (clearly visible on the picture).

Posted Image

Note that Turner forgot the Porsche badge on the nose section.

I've sent some other pictures to your home address.

#6 cjpani

cjpani

• 2,456 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 02:27

Thank ypu Luc.
Invaluable images :)

Carlos