Photo

Last big fallout between the FIA and teams

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 random

random

• 4,890 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 02:52

The current storm brewing between the teams and FIA seems similar to what I remember of the last big battle between the two in the early 1980's.

Does anyone have any specific recollection of what happened and why the FIA won?

I recall many of the top teams boycotted some of the races and there were even some non-championship rounds.

Advertisement

#2 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 03:05

I think this might have someting to do with the planned rival series of the car makers. F1 politics as usual :evil:

#3 lukywill

lukywill

• 6,660 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 04:30

Originally posted by random
The current storm brewing between the teams and FIA seems similar to what I remember of the last big battle between the two in the early 1980's.

Does anyone have any specific recollection of what happened and why the FIA won?

I recall many of the top teams boycotted some of the races and there were even some non-championship rounds.

http://www.atlasf1.c...bel/mirror.html
http://www.atlasf1.c...t06/mirror.html

#4 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 04:56

The last true knock-down, poison the wells, brass knuckles, and general barroom brawl was the FIASCO War, but there have a few skirmishes in the meanwhile which left a few bodies in the ditches as well.

I have pulled out my periodicals from the FIASCO War period and I have been thumbing through them lately. Perhaps we need a primer of the past to appreciate the strange ways the world sometimes operates.....

#5 Bladrian

Bladrian

• 1,491 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 05:17

Originally posted by Don Capps
The last true knock-down, poison the wells, brass knuckles, and general barroom brawl was the FIASCO War, but there have a few skirmishes in the meanwhile which left a few bodies in the ditches as well.

Yep. The FIASCO events were definitely not a little skirmish - that war shaped the look and feel of F1 for years to come.

#6 WGD706

WGD706

• 956 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 13:41

Don
"Perhaps we need a primer of the past to appreciate the strange ways the world sometimes operates....."
Didn't philosopher George Santayana say that "Those who forget the past shall be condemned to repeat it." ?
Warren

#7 marion5drsn

marion5drsn

• 980 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 17:20

Quote from Don Capps:
I have pulled out my periodicals from the FIASCO War period and I have been thumbing through them lately. Perhaps we need a primer of the past to appreciate the strange ways the world sometimes operates.

The problem with this is that the combatants won’t pay any more attention to it then the C.A.R.T. & I.R.L. groups do to the history of that fiasco. Note how little attention has been paid to the one on that battle that has been going on now for 6 years or more. Longer than WW-1 or WW-2 Strange Days and Strange Ways for sure!

http://www.netaxs.co...ace/cartirl.htm

Yours, M.L. Anderson