Photo

1991 Ferraris - official designations

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Vrba

Vrba

• 3,334 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 13:25

As far as I know, there was never such thing as Ferrari 640 or 641 designation written on a chassis plates in the cars. Instead they were F1-89 and F1-90 honouring Ferrari designation scheme that started in 1986.
I'm pretty sure that it continued into 1991 with F1-91 being the official designation of what is often referred to as Ferrari 642.
However, what was written on Ferrari 643's (1991 car from French Grand Prix on) chassis plate?
And did a car designated 642B ever exist?

Hrvoje

Advertisement

#2 AndreasF1

AndreasF1

• 1,200 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 13:34

I would like to get some information on wether a Ferrari 642B ever existed or if it was called just 642 or F-91. Does such a designation appear on the chassis plates? Thank you

#3 da Silva

da Silva

• 694 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 14:28

The Ferrari 642 used in 1991until France wasn´t that an revised version of the FA-90 also known as the 642 :confused: Starting with chassis number 122 in 1991?

#4 mikedeering

mikedeering

• 3,522 posts

Posted 23 January 2003 - 08:43

Not the most accurate source in the world, but Autocourse 1991 states that Ferrari started the year with designation 642. A revised aero package was introduced at Imola, and the designation uprated to 642/2. The new 643 then appeared in France.

#5 Vrba

Vrba

• 3,334 posts

Posted 23 January 2003 - 10:24

Originally posted by mikedeering
Not the most accurate source in the world, but Autocourse 1991 states that Ferrari started the year with designation 642. A revised aero package was introduced at Imola, and the designation uprated to 642/2. The new 643 then appeared in France.

We can check accuracy easily: what does the 1990 Autocourse state as 1990 Ferrari designation?
If it says 641 and 641/2, those definitely aren't chassis plate designations.

Hrvoje

#6 Rainer Nyberg

Rainer Nyberg

• 1,768 posts

Posted 23 January 2003 - 16:52

Ferrari's doesn't really have a great record of designation consistency over the years, it would have been much easier if they really had adhered to some designation and then used variations of that.

They should have sticked to the single-cylinder capacity designations.

The 639 to 643 designation used during the first years of the 3.5litre atmo formula, were Ferrari project numbers, but during that period, I never, ever saw any other designation for those cars.

#7 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 23 January 2003 - 17:13

Originally posted by Rainer Nyberg
Ferrari's doesn't really have a great record of designation consistency over the years, it would have been much easier if they really had adhered to some designation and then used variations of that.

They should have sticked to the single-cylinder capacity designations.

The 639 to 643 designation used during the first years of the 3.5litre atmo formula, were Ferrari project numbers, but during that period, I never, ever saw any other designation for those cars.

You think it matters to Ferrari what the cars are called? :p As long as they're red and sound fruity who's bothered? :) As long as there's a distinct chassis plate on the cars for scrutineering purposes it keeps the FIA happy... and does it matter to the Tifosi? (Particularly not to the New-fosi and the Schu-fosi!)

Hell, confusion over designations is endemic in Italian racing. Look at that Dallara-designed De Tomaso thing Frank Williams ran - nobody could decide definitively whether it was a 505 or a 308 even at the time! As for the plethora of Tecnos - I'm sure there were less model numbers than distinct chassis designs... and what abotu the Maserati 250F? Quite how all those completely different chassis/body combinations can all be the same model defeats me!

Things are different over there. Maybe it's a long tradition of befuddling officialdom so that real life can continue undisturbed ;)

pete

#8 Vrba

Vrba

• 3,334 posts

Posted 23 January 2003 - 18:43

Originally posted by petefenelon

You think it matters to Ferrari what the cars are called? :p As long as they're red and sound fruity who's bothered? :) As long as there's a distinct chassis plate on the cars for scrutineering purposes it keeps the FIA happy... and does it matter to the Tifosi? (Particularly not to the New-fosi and the Schu-fosi!)

Hell, confusion over designations is endemic in Italian racing. Look at that Dallara-designed De Tomaso thing Frank Williams ran - nobody could decide definitively whether it was a 505 or a 308 even at the time! As for the plethora of Tecnos - I'm sure there were less model numbers than distinct chassis designs... and what abotu the Maserati 250F? Quite how all those completely different chassis/body combinations can all be the same model defeats me!

Things are different over there. Maybe it's a long tradition of befuddling officialdom so that real life can continue undisturbed ;)

pete

I understand all that and I agree but I will nevertheless be happy to know waht was written on chassis plates of 1991 Ferraris :-)

Hrvoje

#9 mikedeering

mikedeering

• 3,522 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 08:45

Originally posted by Vrba

We can check accuracy easily: what does the 1990 Autocourse state as 1990 Ferrari designation?
If it says 641 and 641/2, those definitely aren't chassis plate designations.

Hrvoje

Autocourse 1990 lists the Ferrari as F1/90 (641). The official FIA review book for 1990 just lists it as a 641.

Actually, I've just remembered I have a copy of Ferrari Formula 1 which may provide more evidence! Will dig it out over the weekend and see what I can find.

#10 Vrba

Vrba

• 3,334 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 10:42

Originally posted by mikedeering

Autocourse 1990 lists the Ferrari as F1/90 (641). The official FIA review book for 1990 just lists it as a 641.

Actually, I've just remembered I have a copy of Ferrari Formula 1 which may provide more evidence! Will dig it out over the weekend and see what I can find.

Great, thank you!

Hrvoje

#11 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 14:43

I do not have much hope of clarification from these "Ferrari Today", "Ferrari 4 Ever" etc. magazines, which usually tell you that Enzo Ferrari's God and his disciples the creme of a new age (and so forth and so on...), but I'm pretty sure that the official designation was F1-91. That is even the way ferrari.it calls them although they don't get very much else right. I don't know what the chassis plates will tell you, though.