Photo

Do you know this car?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Felix Muelas

Felix Muelas

• 1,209 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 21:04

This is an irritating picture. Starting from the fact that I do not know where it comes from and following by other factors like I am almost sure it is NOT a period photograph but a modern one (helmet and track suggest anytime from the seventies onwards) unnecesarily blured, I have no idea of what car is it.
I have failed to identify together the several factors optically available --obviously I am far from my territory-- so judging by the shape of the radiator and the (almost invisible) logo, might it be a Farman?
Before I make a fool of myself, can someone help? ;)

Posted Image

Advertisement

#2 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 22:08

OK, I'll be the first to make a fool of myself
My immediate thought was "Panhard" but the size seems wrong, and I don't remember a Panhard like that ever racing.
I can't read any lettering on the side - can anyone else?

#3 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 22:16

with that rad, why am I thinking Aston Martin, doesn't look too well made for an Aston tho.

#4 Felix Muelas

Felix Muelas

• 1,209 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 22:24

Thanks David and Gary...
Actually this is the look of the radiator of the Farman A6B that led me to throw the name out in the first place (picture from Georgano)
Posted Image

#5 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 22:34

looks pretty convincing to me, Felix!

#6 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,533 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 22:35

Looks late Panhard et Levassor to me....

#7 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 22:37

Badge looks different to me Felix (but I have no idea what it might be). OTOH, what I can see of the the driver looks like Denny Hulme to me .... but that's probably wishful thinking.

#8 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 22:42

Originally posted by Doug Nye

Sports Car Pocket Book...Bill Boddy

The P et L on page 188 looks very similar but less cut down . (30/150 model circa 1929)

#9 Felix Muelas

Felix Muelas

• 1,209 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 22:47

Well, David and Doug, actually I see your point...
This is the look of a 1926 radiator on a Panhard...pretty similar geometric features
Posted Image

Richard : as always you have an heterodox approach that might lead us to...do you really think you see Denny Hulme there? Because if you do THAT might prove to be a clue ;)

#10 Felix Muelas

Felix Muelas

• 1,209 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 22:49

David

Sorry I missed your post.
You wouldn´t have a scanner at hand? (and the stamina to use it tonight, I mean) :cat:

#11 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 23:00

Originally posted by Felix Muelas
David

Sorry I missed your post.
You wouldn´t have a scanner at hand? (and the stamina to use it tonight, I mean) :cat:

Here it is...hoping WB doesn't mind :

Posted Image

#12 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 23:00

Richard : as always you have an heterodox approach that might lead us to...do you really think you see Denny Hulme there? Because if you do THAT might prove to be a clue ;)

Heterodox eh? :eek: Blimey, I remember you having to look up "disingenuous" once, Felix! Your grasp of arcane English is improving!

Anyway, it looks like The Bear to me. In later years I seem to recall him sporting sunglasses while driving at more modest speeds - this chap doesn't appear to be wearing goggles. Whoever it is is broad-shouldered too, with a rather elbows-out style which reminds me of Denny as well. And the helmet (allowing for the sepia tint) looks like his classic 60s style (that of course, is not unique).

#13 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 23:02

Originally posted by Vitesse2

Anyway, it looks like The Bear to me. In later years I seem to recall him sporting sunglasses while driving at more modest speeds - this chap doesn't appear to be wearing goggles. Whoever it is is broad-shouldered too, with a rather elbows-out style which reminds me of Denny as well. And the helmet (allowing for the sepia tint) looks like his classic 60s style (that of course, is not unique).

Amazingly, it looks like The Bear in my picture too!

#14 Felix Muelas

Felix Muelas

• 1,209 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 23:08

Originally posted by David Beard
Amazingly, it looks like The Bear in my picture too!

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Thanks for the scan, David ;)

#15 bill moffat

bill moffat

• 1,411 posts

Posted 23 January 2003 - 08:34

Originally posted by Doug Nye

Felix..if you have a copy of Georgano's encyclopaedia you will find (on p562) a photo of a "1927 Panhard 5 litre sportscar" competing in the 1928 Georges Boilliot Cup at Boulogne. I'm 99% sure that this is "your" car (albeit with cycle wings fitted ). Few details in the text but I presume it was fitted with the thumping 4 cylinder 4.8 Litre engine that Panhard were also using in their record breakers at that time.

The artillery wheels look a little curious and look similar to those that Panhard used on their pre-WW I racers.

Crossing threads, Felix, the Lola T227 was a project of my imagination..I was getting desparate !

#16 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 23 January 2003 - 22:19

Drinks are on Felix...! I suspect he has just won a modest wager by managing to legitimately work ''heterodox'' into a TNF post...

Next challenge: ''tenesmus''

#17 Felix Muelas

Felix Muelas

• 1,209 posts

Posted 23 January 2003 - 22:58

Originally posted by 2F-001

If "tenesmus" is what I have actually found :

Tenesmus is the desire to defaecate. It is a painful need to empty the bowel which is usually fruitless. Tenesmus is caused by a space-occupying lesion in the lumen or wall of the rectum, which mimics the presence of faeces. Tenesmus is suggestive of serious rectal pathology.
I might not see immediatly what is the relation between this and my post... :confused: unless you really have a weird sense of humour, 2F-001 !

#18 Wolf

Wolf

• 7,883 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 00:54

Far be if from me to be umpire in here, Felix, but I think 2F-001, after admiring how You used word 'heterodox' in TNF (to which I see no objection, if it means, as I presume unorthodox), and provided You with 'next challenge'- that is, to use word he suggested... Not that I see link betwixt the two words in question.

#19 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 08:03

Wolf - thank you, a timely intervention! I think you've grasped my intention - however obscure.

Felix - sorry; I can see that my choice of word was unfortunate - I meant no link between your post and the definition of tenesmus: I just thought it was an amusing word when taken abstractly - no offence meant! And I certainly didn't mean to mock your use of English - which is admirable, and in this particular case precise and effective. I was trying to pick up on the humour it seemed to spark in others... (and heterodox is a word that most English people will have never encountered).

There have been a few times in the UK media when particular groups of people (journos, sportsmen, musicians etc) have tried to outdo each other by getting particular words/phrases into their interview responses - such as titles of Beatles songs or phrases from Monty Python... it's quite ridiculous, I know.

Advertisement

#20 Brun

Brun

• 511 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 09:40

Originally posted by 2F-001
Drinks are on Felix...! I suspect he has just won a modest wager by managing to legitimately work ''heterodox'' into a TNF post...

Well, it looks like a beautiful car to me. But I doubt that it had the acceleration power that many drivers are looking for. You know, the tenesmus-like (or seat-of-the-pants) sensation of a car really pushing your behind forward.

What did I win what did I win what did I win? :rotfl:

#21 Felix Muelas

Felix Muelas

• 1,209 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 10:08

2F - 001 : Thanks for the explanation. It goes on to show that, however obscure you might have found the relation to be, a slower reading by myself should have allowed me to grasp it. After all, you were intending to be nice... ;)
Actually I think I was on the right track until I decided to see what the second word was intended to mean...
We have a quite similar expression in Spanish to that "tenesmus", specially to the "usually fruitless" side of the excercise. Obviously it loses part of the fun being translated, so don't jump over it...it would be something like "dry orgasm" :blush: :lol:

OK, back to basics then : the picture above. Let's summarize what we have so far

What : Doug Nye, David Beard and Bill Moffat seem to agree on a "Panhard et Levassor", Bill actually being 99% sure that a "1927 Panhard 5 litre sportscar" that can be found in page 562 of The Georgano's Encyclopaedia is actually THE car. Because I have not seen it yet cannot comment, but I am sure that will be the case. The posting of the picture mentioned will be welcomed ;)

Who : Is Richard's comment about Denny Hulme a feasible proposition? Would the collective memory of TNF remember something like that, i.e. Hulme driving or racing a PL in maybe a pre-war sports car vintage race / demo?

Where / When : Although I reckon that there are very few elements recognizable in the picture (and IMHO stupidly hidden or distorted by an unnecesary "antiquish" look and colour) I think that a combination of the helmet, the number, the two lateral "advert-like" stickers and the border of the track might lead us to believe that the picture might be a "seventies" one.

Any comments?

Thanks,

fm

#22 Felix Muelas

Felix Muelas

• 1,209 posts

Posted 25 January 2003 - 20:29

Bill actually being 99% sure that a "1927 Panhard 5 litre sportscar" that can be found in page 562 of The Georgano's Encyclopaedia is actually THE car.

What do you think? Posted Image

Posted Image