Photo

Trans-Am 1987 race numbers

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Martin Krejci

Martin Krejci

• 272 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 12:12

Does anybody know race numbers of Mosport Trans-Am 1987 race. If entry list is not available from Mosport race, perhaps some other races could help too because race numbers were usually same for all season.
I've got photos for my www.racingsportscars.com website from the 1987 Mosport race, I ahve also complete results without race numbers, but I am not able to assign the photos to particular drivers except Jaguar, three Porsches (here I am sure only to about 90%) and several cars that I found on www.zoompics.com. Here is what I have.

2 Mercury Merkur XR4Ti Scott Pruett
? Chevrolet Camaro R. K. Smith
8 Chevrolet Camaro Les Lindley
11? Porsche 944 Turbo Elliot Forbes-Robinson
? Chevrolet Camaro Jim Derhaag
39 Oldsmobile Toronado Craig Shafer
? Chevrolet Corvette Donald Sak
? Pontiac Firebird Rick Dittman
? Ford Mustang Bruce Nesbitt
? Chevrolet Camaro Brett Willis
4 Mercury Capri Deborah Gregg
? Chevrolet Corvette Peter Deman
? Ford Mustang Ed Hinchcliff
? Chevrolet Camaro Craig Bennett
? Chevrolet Corvette Jerry Simmons
? Chevrolet Camaro Robert Ripple
94? Porsche 911 Fritz Hochreuter
? Pontiac Firebird Jeff Jones
48 Jaguar XJS Roger Mac
? Pontiac Firebird Tim Taylor
? Chevrolet Corvette Murray Edwards
? Buick Somerset Chris Gleason
42 Porsche 944 Bruce Jenner
? Chevrolet Camaro Gary Mason
? Mercury Merkur XR4Ti Pete Halsmer
? Buick Somerset John Schneider

Advertisement

#2 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 12:24

Originally posted by Martin Krejci
Does anybody know race numbers of Mosport Trans-Am 1987 race. If entry list is not available from Mosport race, perhaps some other races could help too because race numbers were usually same for all season.
I've got photos for my www.racingsportscars.com website from the 1987 Mosport race, I ahve also complete results without race numbers, but I am not able to assign the photos to particular drivers except Jaguar, three Porsches (here I am sure only to about 90%) and several cars that I found on www.zoompics.com. Here is what I have.

What a fantastic site - it's great to see some of those Interserie cars. I think I've just fallen in love with that Start-Mazda (nee Maurer).

pete

#3 Rob G

Rob G

• 11,615 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 14:29

I *might* have an old On Track magazine or two from that year. I'll have to remember to check when I get home from work tonight.

#4 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 18:32

Martin

I have most of On Track for 1987. What's the exact date of the race? I'll look when I get home.

Allen

#5 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 20:46

20 Sep. Right - off to the garage!

#6 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 22:15

My apologies for taking the lazy approach :)

Posted Image

From On Track 12 Oct 1987 p 35.

Allen

#7 Martin Krejci

Martin Krejci

• 272 posts

Posted 05 February 2003 - 09:26

Allen,
thank you very much. Your scan includes much more than I hoped for or tried to ask, and all is very usable for my site (Q-times, tyres, weather, engine sizes etc.).
Martin

petefenelon: I have seen Start many times. It was rather interesting car reminiscenting very much open version of early Gebhardt because both bodies were designed by the same man Michael Roger Neumann. Unfortunately the car Start became soon very uncompetitive and driver had not money to upgrade from 2-rotor to 3-rotor engine if I remember well, so he disappeared.

#8 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 05 February 2003 - 11:00

Originally posted by Martin Krejci

petefenelon: I have seen Start many times. It was rather interesting car reminiscenting very much open version of early Gebhardt because both bodies were designed by the same man Michael Roger Neumann. Unfortunately the car Start became soon very uncompetitive and driver had not money to upgrade from 2-rotor to 3-rotor engine if I remember well, so he disappeared.

It looks like the aero package would make it an absolute cracker on fast circuits. A three- or four-rotor Start might've been an interesting Le Mans entry! I've always had a soft spot for the noise that Mazda rotaries make when you race them!

pete

#9 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 05 February 2003 - 16:39

Interesting that there's a Roger Mac (GB) finishing 19th...

#10 Magee

Magee

• 379 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 05:30

Here's a news clipping from the Trans-Am race at Westwood in June 1977 for your reading enjoyment. :)

Tullius tops Trans-Am race field
By Tony Gallagher, The Vancouver Province, Friday, June 03, 1977

Thundering elegance was the term used by Road and Track magazine to describe the Jaguar XJX, and they were modest in their praise.
At least Bob Tullius shares that opinion, and he ought to know. He's driven enough British Leyland Motors products to know the gems and the duds they've come up with, and as for as the 40-year old native of Herndon, VA., is concerned, this is a winner.
The gleaming white Jag will be running and running well at Westwood Sunday as the second Trans-Am race of the 10-event series is held on the 1.8-mile circuit.
Tullius, who heads Group 44, one of the most successful motor racing organizations in the history of the sport, finished first in Group 1 and fourth overall in Seattle Monday in the first race of the series, and he thinks he can do as well at Westwood Sunday.
Although there will probably be only six or eight of the big Porsche Turbos and Porsche Carerras Sunday, there will be around 25 Group 1 cars, and the favorite will likely be Tullius' well-prepared Jag.
"This is the first time I've even raced in Vancouver and the first time in a long while we've had a chance to race a new track," said Tullius on Thursday afternoon. "We've heard nothing but old wives' tales about the track, but I took a look at it yesterday and it's not as bad as I thought. It's a little narrow, but it's like the track I was raised on back at Marlboro, in Washington, D.C. I was told that when you went over deer's leap you had to throw out an aileron to turn right immediately, but there is lots of room to stop."
Tullius has been stopping and starting for 17 years now, and his five Sports Car Club of America national championships are solid testimony to his talent. Similarly, his sponsorship from British Leyland is the longest standing commercial relationship in North American racing, having reached a full 15 years.
"We've won over 300 races as a team and 14 national championships as a group over the year," said Tullius. "I started racing in a TR-3 and they say that if anyone could survive the TR-3, they could race forever. I guess I'm proving that now."
Tullius won the first ever Trans-Am race back in 1966 at Sebring, and since that time he has dabbled in the series off and on. But now he's back with what is probably the best prepared, most expensive machine in the series and he thinks he'll take the series.
"Unless someone emerges out of the group who can put together some consistency we'll have a good shot at winning," says Tullius. Skip Panzerella in a 454 block Corvette, John Brandt (another Corvette) and Bob Lazier (Camaro) will be our toughest competition."
The Jag has been valued upwards of $120,000 what with all the modifications that have gone into the street version, which sells for around $22,000 in Canada
Tullius says his engineering partner Brian Feurstenau and crew chief Lankey Foushee are "the top two best mechanics anywhere" and that they'll have the 2,850-pound sedan at its best Sunday.
"The preparation of these cars has become so sophisticated lately that I can't keep up with it," says Tullius. "A guy asked me recently what the stroke and bore are on the car and I couldn't come up with it. I know it's short and small. These two guys (Fuerstenau and Foshee) are both great with the car, especially Brian. He is a genius. There is nothing he can't do with a car. They certainly make my job easier."
Meanwhile, the drivers of the lighter quicker Porsches have been late arriving in town as Seattle winner Ludwig Heimrath is still in Toronto and defending series champion George Follmer was not expected in until late Thursday night.
Practice begins Saturday morning, with a 20-lap qualifying race to determine the last 10 of the 30 grid positions for the race.

Transcribed by Michael Gee
CMHF West Coast Motorsport Historian

#11 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,274 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 02:14

I'm glad Allen found and posted the box score race summary from On Track (something that made them so valuable for 80's era research).

I'm afraid all I could have readily helped with was Jim Derhaag being #40. Derhaag has always been #40.

Jim Thurman