Photo

Ugliest road car of all time?

• Please log in to reply
499 replies to this topic

#101 Bruce Moxon

Bruce Moxon

• 265 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 09:44

When the Aztec fell out of the ugly tree, it really did hit every branch.

Bruce Moxon

Advertisement

#102 Lipp

Lipp

• 394 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 14:33

Uglyness is in fact very interesting...

To put it in an Hegelian perspective of opposites I want to argue that if one is able to convincingly design a deliberate ugly car... that that team also MUST be able to design a very beautiful car. It is therefore with a reason that I state that FIAT must have the best designing team on the block and they proved that by creating the Multipla!

Brings to mind that this type of thinking is also applied in a famous yearly inventors' contest in Japan, where the object of the invention must be the resolution for a non-existent 'problem', in other words, the invention must be completely useless for daily life. This type of thinking can lead to very interesting inventions, and ultimatly these will end up appearing on the shoppingchannel. But I digress...

My statement regarding uglieness is that the answer to beauty lies in the opposite! (which is exactly the same dichotomy that George found out in Seinfeld)

#103 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,139 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 16:05

There really is no contest here. The worst ever, without any shadow of a doubt, is the original Vauxhall Victor from the late 50s. Every American styling cliche, all in one vehicle, and scaled down unsuitably to British proportions. What a mess.

#104 cjpani

cjpani

• 2,456 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 16:21

ehem....

Posted Image

the amc gremlin. At least they got the name right :D

cj

#105 Joe Fan

Joe Fan

• 5,591 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 16:52

Originally posted by cjpani
ehem....

the amc gremlin. At least they got the name right :D

cj

As in mechanical gremlin.

#106 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,012 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 21:58

Originally posted by ian senior
There really is no contest here. The worst ever, without any shadow of a doubt, is the original Vauxhall Victor from the late 50s. Every American styling cliche, all in one vehicle, and scaled down unsuitably to British proportions. What a mess.

Ah yes, the Victor FD. Here's a brace of them, slightly over-restored ....

Posted Image

Another, just a bit hot rodded!

Posted Image

And finally, one in its natural habitat:

Posted Image

#107 rdrcr

rdrcr

• 2,697 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 22:08

And you know what's really hilarious?

for each and every one of the models we've made a mockery of....

...there's a car club filled with nut cases thinking that their car is the coolest on the planet...

:rotfl:

#108 Kaha

Kaha

• 72 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 12:01

I'll vote for the Metropolitan Nash in the scaled down american style category:

Posted Image

(rdrcr, note the licens plate :lol: )

#109 BRG

BRG

• 11,486 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 12:22

Although there have been many nominations for many products from the US, British, Italian and Japanese motor industries. mostly from some years ago, it is amazing that the front-runner for Best Ugly Car looks like a run-off between two current models, the Pontiac Aztek and the Fiat Multipla. Who says that all modern cars look alike and that there is no sucgh thing as a bad car anymore? This shows that bad taste and complete barmy designers are still alive and well and working in the motor industry!

#110 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,046 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 12:43

Multipla definitely. I hate the Ford Ka and BMW Mini. And the Chrysler Prowler or whatever that hideous 30s retro thing is called.

How about the Rumpler aerodynamic car from the 1920s-30s? The chap who designed the Tropfenwagen, I think.

#111 Lipp

Lipp

• 394 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 12:52

I also have a new ugly one:

The DAF (Yes... a Dutch car), allthough innovative because of the variable transmission belt (still used by some Japanese manufacturers) that was also applied to the Williams back in 1992, and forbidden before it barely was tested.

I give you: the DAF 600,

Posted Image

For more pictures (a dutch page):

http://www.dafclub.nl/

#112 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,837 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 13:17

There really is no contest here. The worst ever, without any shadow of a doubt, is the original Vauxhall Victor from the late 50s. Every American styling cliche.....

Not to mention something unique to the Victor...

In the pic above, the car on the left (LMY 201) has the early bumpers with the lumpy ends. Those dimples in the middle were painted black... well at the rear, one of those dimples in the middle of the lumpy ends wasn't black from paint. It was a hole, and through it emerged the exhaust pipe!

#113 bobbo

bobbo

• 841 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 13:53

Originally posted by Kaha

I'll vote for the Metropolitan Nash in the scaled down american style category:

Posted Image

(rdrcr, note the licens plate :lol: )

Kaha:

Actually, I think that it is rather cute.

Bobbo

P. S.

If anyone wants to take the time to look for (and at) some interesting (and yes, ugly!) autos, try browsing through ebay Motors. Go to "Collectors Cars" and have a ball! I just found a SABRA there! Haven't heard of that one for ages!

Bobbo

#114 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 4,794 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 16:52

How about the early eighties Caddilac Seville with that 4-6-8 cylinders operating V8 and the backpart of the trunk cut off for the good looks but as a result had nu usable trunk whatsoever left?
Some Buick Riviera's were also a pain to the eye...

Henri Greuter

#115 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,886 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 17:38

What is ugly? For most people it is just a piece of automotive design which differs from the norm. Like the Fiat Multipla. I'm sure there are lots of designs to which all of us have reacted with a firm "yak!" but come to accept within a short time.

Another way of looking at it...how many cars are there on our roads, between which you cannot distinguish ? And how many would you describe as Ugly?

Then sometimes a bit of ugly is needed to take away excessiveness tweeness..like the Triumph Spitfire. Just too nice wicey.

This Alfa is good & ugly. Not twee.

Posted Image

I :love: the Fiat Multipla.

#116 antonvrs

antonvrs

• 492 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 18:22

These days people rhapsodise over the Tipo 60/61 "Birdcage" Maserati but when they appeared in 1959-60 they were considered to be ugly.
Beauty, as they say, is in the eye of the beholder. Some guys like great big bazooms- some like little cupcakes.
Let's turn this thread around and talk about the the "best", "most beautiful" etc. GP cars, sports racing cars and road cars of all time.
I'll lead off with a few of my favorites:
Miller 91 rear-drive
Bugatti T59
4.5 Talbot-Lago GP
Gurney-Eagle-Weslake F1
Lola T70(best looking over 2litre)
Elva Mk7(best looking under 2litre)
Ferrari 250 SWB 1961
1934 Ford - maybe the best looking real mass production car of all time
1953 Studebaker coupe- still looks right 50 years later
Nostagically,
Anton

#117 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 20:02

Just some..

Alfa 8c2900B MM
Bugatti Atlantic
Lotus 25
Ferrari 156 sharknose GP
Fiat 8V/Siata Zagato
Ferrari GTO
Bugatti T35/51 GP
Lotus 30
Ferrari 250LM
Fiat 1100 S Ala d'Oro MM 1947 (race #100)...one of my favorite cars of all time..

#118 Egon Thurner

Egon Thurner

• 305 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 00:11

Now I really wonder, that nobody mentioned it before. :evil: :cry: :mad: :down:
The very ugliest car ever was that cruel amputated Talbot, that Rosier raced in 1946

Posted Image

And how pretty she was in 1938 :love:

#119 Viss1

Viss1

• 9,414 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 00:19

More from the currently-available category...
Posted Image
Chevrolet Avalanche

Advertisement

#120 MarkWill

MarkWill

• 484 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 01:08

God Bless America. God spare us all from the designers of Aztec and Avalanche.....The "A-Team" of designers :lol:

Anton, those nice cars exist, but thats not what this thread is about. There was once a book by an author called Stephen Pile (IIRC) called "Heroic Failures" in which he extolled the beauty, merit, and virtue of some of the worlds GREATEST failures - he even founded a club called the "Not Terribly Good Club", dedicated to remembering some of their exploits, such as the worst translator, whose poor grasp of english didn't deter him from translating a description about a local bullfight as a "ballsfight", and the clairvoyants at thier annual meeting who, when asked whether they would be meeting again next year, responded that they didn't know.....

I'd like to think that our A-team here has as good a chance as any of making it into that book, should Mr. Pile ever wish to continue in his endeavours.

#121 antonvrs

antonvrs

• 492 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 01:19

Thanks for the elucidation, Mark.
Anton

#122 Anorak Man

Anorak Man

• 312 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 05:33

This is 600 Multipla Jolly - the same as 500 Jolly, but based on the ugliest car in the world: the original Fiat 600 Multipla (when a car is called Multipla, is always horrible)
Here's the original Multipla.

Posted Image

'Ugliest car in the owrld' ?

Well, I must be at that funny age. I've never seen the Fiat Multipla before, and I LOVE it!

A wonderful looking Mota. Must have one!

Why, I'll even come and collect it from you.

PS. It's even got doors which open to act as fresh air ducts when it gets a bit whiffy, marvellous!

#123 Locai

Locai

• 1,952 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 15:08

I'm sitting here this morning and I pulled off the weekend page from my Car & Driver Page-a-Day "365 Dream Cars Calendar" and what do I see?...

a 1959 Austin-Healey Sprite .

It looks like a cartoon character.

#124 Only Massa

Only Massa

• 783 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 15:43

Originally posted by Anorak Man

PS. It's even got doors which open to act as fresh air ducts when it gets a bit whiffy, marvellous! [/B]

The bad is that it's not only an ugly car, but also a rare and valuable one. An Italian magazine billed it as the most risky car ever produced. If it crashes, the driver shure damages his legs: the car has no front, and the spare tyre is just under the steering wheel! The Vatican, many years ago, bought a thousand of them and gave them to priests and sisters.

An italian engineer stuided this car and calculated that it has a great Cx (aerodynamical penetration coefficient), but when going backwards! :lol: (no joke here, it's true!)

Anyways a 600 Multipla running, efen if a bit wrecked, goes for 3000 Euro, now. You can buy a few fully restored for about 12000 Euro, from collectors.

#125 BRG

BRG

• 11,486 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 17:48

Originally posted by Locai
B]1959 Austin-Healey Sprite .

It looks like a cartoon character. [/B]

Now, Locai, you are in danger of maligning a British icon - the Frog-eye Sprite! It is a sweet little car, everyone's favourite toy.

Of course there was no boot lid, so you had to shove luggage into the boot by folding the seats forward. And it was only 948cc and hence would barely pull the skin off a rice pudding. And if you were over 6 foot like me, forget it unless you had your legs amputated. But it was a fun car!

#126 Joe Fan

Joe Fan

• 5,591 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 18:04

Originally posted by Anorak Man

'Ugliest car in the owrld' ?

Well, I must be at that funny age. I've never seen the Fiat Multipla before, and I LOVE it!

PS. It's even got doors which open to act as fresh air ducts when it gets a bit whiffy, marvellous!

Oooooooo! That is awful. It is just me or does the back of the car look like it should be the front?

#127 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,837 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 19:59

Do you ask the same question of the car driven by Steve Erckl?

It has the front door swinging out the front...

#128 Locai

Locai

• 1,952 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 21:41

Originally posted by BRG
Now, Locai, you are in danger of maligning a British icon - the Frog-eye Sprite! It is a sweet little car, everyone's favourite toy.

Of course there was no boot lid, so you had to shove luggage into the boot by folding the seats forward. And it was only 948cc and hence would barely pull the skin off a rice pudding. And if you were over 6 foot like me, forget it unless you had your legs amputated. But it was a fun car!

Sorry, BRG. I didn't mean to offend anybody. You have to admit, though, that it is a bit "cartoonish".

And since I'm about 6' 7", I think that I should look elsewhere for a convertible.  ;)

#129 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 01:10

Erckl's car was one of the ISOs where the front of the car was the door, and not a Multipla. Remember, the Multipla is mid-late 50s, when transporting a fair number of people at 40 mph was a good thing. Persoanally, I like them. The problem is that they are very hard to find today, body parts are expensive (if you can find them), and a properly restored one is $15,000 The same goes for the similar Alaf Romeo "Romeo" vans (at last they were 1300cc..or diesel)

#130 No27

No27

• 1,254 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 09:34

Here are some serious entries in our contest:

Citroen Ami
Talbot Tagora
Ferrari Enzo
Daihatsu Gran Move
Ford Anglia
Ford Focus Sedan
Renault Megane Sedan (the outgoing version)
Skoda Estelle

And for comments on ugly cars, take a look at this site.

#131 kober

kober

• 1,629 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 11:26

Originally posted by Mark Beckman
Oh I'm in a real panic that the Tatra lovers will win here :rotfl:

Take your choice......

http://www.tatra.dem...ars-history.htm

They are beautiful!
But what about this Skoda: http://ms.anet.cz/~m...ages/cabrio.jpg
Not every Czech car can be excellent ;)

#132 dmj

dmj

• 1,956 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 16:49

We should investigate what are the best loved makes here, ones we like so much that we are putting their signs in our avatars... Could i guess which make will win it? ;) :clap:

#133 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,046 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 18:12

Originally posted by No27

Skoda Estelle

Oi! My first car. Regret getting rid of it. Royal blue, it was...mmm...

#134 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 20:49

Originally posted by dmj
We should investigate what are the best loved makes here, ones we like so much that we are putting their signs in our avatars... Could i guess which make will win it? ;) :clap:

Volvo?

#135 Locai

Locai

• 1,952 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 20:55

How about the new Honda Element? Anybody else seen one on the road yet? I saw one yesterday on my way home. I almost hit the guy in front of me I was so taken aback by this awful creation.

http://www.hondacars...delName=Element

#136 kober

kober

• 1,629 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 21:47

Originally posted by dmj

Born 30kms from Koprivnice I can't do anything about it :love:

#137 Patrick Italiano

Patrick Italiano

• 412 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 13:31

OK, this could be an infinite thread, but since TNF members are educated people, we shall avoid heavy words or riots.

It's interesting to note that most of the votes go for new or current cars, and that reflects well our nostalgia bias. However, its' rare that an ugly car becomes nice by miracle as the years go. Rather, so-called designers feed us with always worse, which in turn make us judge older "efforts" not so bad...

I've felt in the past few years that some really deserve a law forbidding to pollute our streets with those 4-wheeled baskets.

I agree on some already mentionned cases, especially, to nominate the most recent on our european streets, the current Renault designs. The Avantime might be nominated not only for beilng among the ugliest (in the same league as the Multipla), but, unlike the Fiat, also for being the most nonsense concept. For those not knowing, a "coupé" on the Espace (=van) platform, with the rear passengers obviously the most favorised (including TV screen on the back of front seats). A 1.80 m high, 1800 kg coupé is a nominee.:eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Posted Image Posted Image

From the same team, the Nissan Primera also deserves a prize:

Posted Image

But among the most current ones, the 1998 Toyota Corolla was also a winner:

Posted Image Posted Image

Now, among the coupés, the 2000 Hyundai is anotherwinner:

Posted Image

Enough for today, I'm feeling worse and worse... :rolleyes:

#138 Racer.Demon

Racer.Demon

• 1,705 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 13:45

Originally posted by Patrick Italiano

From the same team, the Nissan Primera also deserves a prize:

Amen.

Did you know that the main reason for fitting a complex parking sensor system on all new Primeras is pure necessity? Because of its design quirks the car has huge blind angles and lacks any normal amount of rearward vision. You just can't see the back from inside! A typical modern Renault/Nissan case of compromising active safety through the demands of 'design'.

It's probably my suspicious mind, but to me it's no wonder the latest Renaults all have 5-star EuroNCAP crashtest ratings - if you decrease active safety, you'd better up your passive safety. Full marks to Renault for enabling drivers to become safely involved in an accident, but I'd rather be able to avoid one.

#139 Yves

Yves

• 183 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 13:50

Originally posted by Bruce Moxon
When the Aztec fell out of the ugly tree, it really did hit every branch.

I love this one : Posted Image

Do you know the french movie "Traffic" by Jacques Tati ? Could be source ....

Y.

Advertisement

#140 ILV4RCING

ILV4RCING

• 140 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 14:33

Originally posted by Only Massa

but somehow it has become Wonder Woman's car!!!! Just take a look at the model (which I own since my childhood)
Posted Image
It's a FIAT X1/9 prototype (and so it's written on its underbody), just look at the position of the lights!
[/B]

Makes me wonder who thought about comercializing that car.
:confused:

#141 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,837 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 20:22

Why hasn't anyone mentioned the aluminium-bodied pommie beauty of the early fifties yet?

Behold, gentlemen...

Posted Image

Funny, I never knew before that they made a convertible version...

#142 Yves

Yves

• 183 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 08:59

I am at the regret to announce the TNF community the death of one of the favorite in this thread,

the Renault Avantime :cry: :

Posted Image

Everybody in this forum must be aware now that Renault's executives may read this forum and could take the decision following the negative appreciation you have about their product .... ( ;) ).

The plant in Romorantin will be closed and the last 1000 employees fired. No more as 5000 Avantime have been produced since last year.

All Matra road cars have been produced in Romorantin.

The Avantime was based on the previous Espace platform, also produced mainly in Romorantin.

In fact, this was probably the biggest plant in the world to produce "plastic" cars.

For the collectionneurs, you can arrange a deal for brand new cars, available at good rate in every Renault dealers in Europe.
To morrow could be too late ... and it could be a very good investment when Trulli will be 5 times world champion :wave:

Y.

#143 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,045 posts

Posted 01 March 2003 - 18:05

Many will find this sacreligious but with the passage of time I now think the 1960 Ferrari 250GT quite ugly.

But not admittedly in the same league as the AMC Pacer and some of the other nominations.

I rather like Tatras - at least the ones from the early 50's with a spine or ridge like a Bugatti Atlantique

#144 Bruce Moxon

Bruce Moxon

• 265 posts

Posted 02 March 2003 - 09:34

Urk!

The "spine" or "ridge" is more like something from a Triceraptops or Stegasorus, I would think.

Bruce Moxon

#145 Wolf

Wolf

• 7,881 posts

Posted 06 March 2003 - 13:42

Originally posted by Racer.Demon

Wolf, your hideous modern-day example is another graphic illustration of just how difficult it is to create a good-looking small sedan. And you don't have to be with Zastava to get it all wrong. (But having seen that, erm, thing :eek: , it does help!)

Well, Racer.Demon, I think things might change. I have found an Erlkönig (sorry, don't know English word for it) of revolutionary new Mercedes concept vehicle (it even has break-through leaf spring in front) :

http://unix.rulez.or...desKispolak.JPG

At least it has engine on the right end of the car. :p Not that I find it ugly; just a bit funny, and yes I still prefer original car... And yes, I still do have mine as it was. :lol:

#146 BRG

BRG

• 11,486 posts

Posted 06 March 2003 - 13:53

Originally posted by Yves
I am at the regret to announce the TNF community the death of one of the favorite in this thread, the Renault Avantime :cry: : Everybody in this forum must be aware now that Renault's executives may read this forum and could take the decision following the negative appreciation you have about their product .... ( ;) )

And FIAT have announced a facelift for the much derided Multipla, by deleting the odd front end with the high level lights in favour of a bland ordinary front. It now looks remarkably like a MPV that Nissan used to build and is boring but no longer so ugly. Another triumph for TNF!

If we can only get Pontiac to drop that appalling Aztek thingy, then we will really have struck a blow for improved aesthetics.

#147 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 07 March 2003 - 04:37

For auction on eBay, a model Tatra 603 Praha Taxi.

You'll need to look soon, as it closes in nine days or so, if no one Buy-It-Nows. Buys-It-Now.

Any road, this pained and painful visage challenges a couple of the later Packard-Studebakers for uggle quotient. Makes for that unpleasant pre-reverse peristalsis sour taste.

Frank S

#148 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,012 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 20:54

This, believe it or not, won the award for Best Concept Car at Geneva this year. It's a Rolls Royce - you can tell from the grille can't you? :rolleyes:

It's roadtested in this week's Auto Express, with the information that it's going into production in 2007, so it now qualifies for this thread. Price (and I hope you're sitting down - please put down or swallow any drinks before reading this) - a cool TWO MILLION pounds!

Posted Image

Picture copyright Autoweek

#149 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,045 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 21:13

Ner - it's not in the same class as The Tatra 600

#150 Maranello Man

Maranello Man

• 445 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 21:21

Originally posted by Vitesse2
This, believe it or not, won the award for Best Concept Car at Geneva this year. It's a Rolls Royce - you can tell from the grille can't you? :rolleyes:

It's roadtested in this week's Auto Express, with the information that it's going into production in 2007, so it now qualifies for this thread. Price (and I hope you're sitting down - please put down or swallow any drinks before reading this) - a cool TWO MILLION pounds!

Posted Image

Picture copyright Autoweek

It has a V-16 and over 1000 HP... Hell I'd take it ...why not!

Someone mentioned the Ferrari Enzo...in Pozzi blue with natural hides it looks awesome!

American cars general stink... although Daimler Chrysler is doing some neat stuff.